I think people are overthinking this whole scenario.

BBM on iOS/Android is simply BlackBerry's attempt to make BBM come out of irrelevance (particularly in the U.S.) to compete with the likes of WhatsApp/Hangouts/etc. It's not going to make them millions and it's not going to crush the competition as many BB fans seem to think, but I think it will be a good addition to the messaging space and will make BBM more visible.

Will it be successful? Too early to say but BBM should have been ready by BlackBerry Live or shortly thereafter. I swear, it's always "in the coming months" or "coming soon" with BlackBerry.
    I was honestly hoping to hear that it was available for download after the event was over
    06-03-13 12:52 AM
    Thank You very much for taking the time to read and reply to my post. However, I believe you missed the point to my post entirely! I get that I will now be able to BBM with contacts that own iPhones and Samsung's (cause really in the grand scheme of things Android, Samsung is all that really counts). My point is, what does BlackBerry get in return FROM Apple and Google, for such a valuable asset?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't get anything in return.

What you need to understand is that BlackBerry is pushing BBM as some kind of social platform (or network??? The technobabble whippersnappers these days invent!!!). Methinks their goal is not to get people to jump back on BlackBerry, but rather to get people to jump on BBM.

It's not a secret that BlackBerry simply can't win via hardware sales, not in the near future at least. By leveraging BBM, they can create another portfolio that can potentially generate revenue. Look at BBM channel, I personally don't have one, but I've read people comparing it to tumblr, twitter, YouTube (comment section...?) etc, those services clearly generate revenue (otherwise they'd stop).

STL 100-1 10.1.0.1720
    06-03-13 12:59 AM
    Have a little peek at this article on Twitter, and tell me where Blackberry is going to make money.

Twitter
    06-03-13 01:34 AM
    Have a little peek at this article on Twitter, and tell me where Blackberry is going to make money.

Twitter
    I don't know, despite scoring losses, twitter doesn't seem to stop, does that say anything? That's an uneducated guess from a totally-not-an-economy-analyzer, and the last phrase is not a lie

Besides, the article seem to highlight poor management and less of revenue potential.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.1720
    06-03-13 03:28 AM
    Wow, how many cliches can be crammed into a post!...

There is nothing in it for you, nothing.

Channels on the other hand could prove to be a healthy source of advertising revenue for RIM if it reaches a wide enough audience.

There will be NO licensing fees btw, neither Apple nor Google "need" BBM, as they have proven.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-03-13 at 07:23 AM.
    06-03-13 07:02 AM
    It's good for all the traders who left us for android and ios. Now I can communicate threw BBM again as I'm the only one left with a BlackBerry out of all my friends family. Etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 08:22 AM
    Most people here seem to be missing the point.

People on iOS and Android DO NOT care about BlackBerry and see it as a dying brand. Let's face it, analysis of the past five years suggests exactly that. Recently, BB has started its climb towards the top but it is equivalent of descending down Everest and then re-climbing it. Not an easy task.

By doing this, BlackBerry's presence will be felt on iOS and Android. People *might* ask each other for PINs again. When these people go to upgrade their phones, they *might* even consider BlackBerrys.

As far you go, you get to talk to more people through BBM. Is that not enough?
    walt63 likes this.
    06-03-13 08:49 AM
    You can drop the crappy, data leaking whatsapp.
    People will switch to BBM and keep the other ones as backup.

Sent from a Q10 with a crappy OLED screen
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    06-03-13 02:16 PM
    I would like to reiterate my point again on spreading the word. I think now that the decision has been made to let BBM go platform, we can just hope that BlackBerry do know what they are doing. (it is in my opinion that they do)

Now, I think what matters is us BlackBerry fans, is to spread the word and convince your friends and family to give BBM a shot, and if the experience is good, convince them to convince their friends and family to do so too.

We can continue to discuss to death whether this is a good move or not, and only time will tell. I know some amongst the community wants BBM to be exclusive to BlackBerry, and I can understand and respect that view even if I don't agree with it completely. But there is nothing we can do other to try and make the best of it since the decision has been made.

We can help make our own BlackBerry experience better by having more contacts on BBM. We don't even have to think about BlackBerry's interest here. Just think of how this will improve your own BBM experience.

WhatsApp isn't the greatest app, even after so many years. I know, because I have been using it since the day it first launched on iOS. I used it on WP8, Android, and BBOS as well, and they were all terrible (especially in WP8 somehow). If we have more friends on BBM, it means we can use less of WhatsApp, or any other IM clients, and more of BBM to communicate with people. Isn't that reason enough? This is a plus for us users on BlackBerry as the BBM experience on BlackBerry is superb. Agree?

If you are a user of channels, wouldn't it be nicer if more of your friends can subscribe to your channel? Isn't it better if you can do a video/voice chat with friends on other platforms on BBM, instead of other services like skype, vibe, etc?

Again, let's put aside whether this is a good move or not. Let's just think of the good things that it can bring us BlackBerry users.

I personally only recommend things that I think is good to my friends and family, no matter whether it's BlackBerry, Apple, Google, or Microsoft. They know that, and they trusts me when it comes to IT related things. So that makes it easier for me to recommend them to get BBM since I know that it is the best communication platform in the market out there. Period. And I want them to be able to experience BBM as well, and not always complain about WhatsApp. (hoping there's no more outages though) the moment that I found out it is going cross platform, I have been telling my friends to get it when it launchs.

I'm not doing this to help BlackBerry or anything, my main purpose is to simply share the good stuff with them, as well as make my own experience on BBM better.

so apologies if I keep regurgitating the same thing over and over again, but I just think that it's time to move past that and just deal with the cards we were dealt. Let the chips fall where they may, and make the best of the situation at hand.

Peace.

Posted via CB10
    lyles likes this.
    06-03-13 03:03 PM
    The day I found out it was going cross-platform I went out and bought a Galaxy S4 lol.

I had the Z10 but I don't miss it that much... Android stock apps (i.e. Calendar, Contacts, etc...) have nothing on BB10 but I just don't miss it... On the bright side I'm looking forward to being reunited with my BBM again
    06-03-13 03:19 PM
    What's in it for me?
    Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    As a consumer? Not much probably. As Blackberry? A wealth of user pattern data that can be sold or traded. No matter who's army you're in, the consumer in all of this is merely the conveyance.

The KISS ARMY might as well be the Blackberry Faithful (I'm one BTW). Still hoping for a resurrection!
    06-03-13 09:04 PM
    BBM going cross platform means you get to talk to those who left the platform and BlackBerry continues to survive as a company and the grand goal of possibly building the next greatest social network. I really think BBM Channels is going to be epic, and I'm an iOS user.
    06-03-13 09:48 PM
    Thank You very much for taking the time to read and reply to my post. However, I believe you missed the point to my post entirely! I get that I will now be able to BBM with contacts that own iPhones and Samsung's (cause really in the grand scheme of things Android, Samsung is all that really counts). My point is, what does BlackBerry get in return FROM Apple and Google, for such a valuable asset?

Posted via CB10
    It's essentially worthless to I.O.S. and Android but priceless to Blackberry.....
    ...It's an admission from RIM / Blackberry that it came to late to the table with too little.
    ...BBM is an excellent tool, it's simple and it works perfectly.

Going X platform was a very good idea on Blackberry's part.
    06-04-13 12:45 AM
    Bbm going cross platform will do nothing for anyone on the usa. Unless they already bbm with people outside of the country.

Sent from my Z10...which I hate...waiting for the Q10...
    06-04-13 11:01 AM
89 ... 234