I might have heard whispers about it here and there so apologies if this is a restructuring of an idea already posted i did search beforehand but I'm sure it will be linked if it exists..

Basically in chat bbm translation, so just like Google if you open a page that's heavily in a different language from the default it will ask to translate.. if you add someone on bbm who starts to type in a different language from your default a toast pops up asking if you want bbm to translate (or a toggle on/off button in settings) then it translates what is being said.. but that's not why I say it will put bbm on the map.

I think it will present an opportunity to have a translation algorithm better than any other, instead of just dictionary translation , be able to actually have translations that put things in context so less mistakes and misunderstandings are made.. maybe work with/partner with company like this: http://www.linguee.com/english-german/page/about.php or this http://context.reverso.net/translation/

This would be a great tool for international enterprise customers and I do think it's something that would boost numbers for this feature alone..

Thoughts?

as a hypothetical, I'm imagining that this could spread to even offering translations for voice notes and documents sent between contacts but that's obviously more difficult

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    z10geek likes this.
    04-18-14 06:52 AM
    Sounds to me like you want BBM to make a better translator then.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    04-18-14 07:01 AM
    Sounds to me like you want BBM to make a better translator then.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Well they don't have one that I know off right now..

So I want them to make one in the first place and have it work better of the bat than all the others..and also just working with bbm in a way that helps the end user the most.. in fact it could work as a normal translator as an app outside bbm, then be in bbm as an extended feature..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-18-14 07:04 AM
    I like the idea I think it would be a great idea.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-18-14 08:09 AM
    It's a great idea. Will certainly be good for people who travel to different parts of the world.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-20-14 01:17 PM
    Is there any translation technology right now that would be fast enough for real time chat?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    04-20-14 02:09 PM
    Is there any translation technology right now that would be fast enough for real time chat?

Do you mean for the verbal extension or the text?.text is pretty much instant no matter what you use, but the emphasis here is it uses contextual algorithms rather than pure dictionary translation so it's more realistic and accurate than say Google Translate..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-21-14 02:47 AM
    Great idea!

Personally I think it's the lazy way out. There is something actually a LOT that is lost when not learning a language!

There is a LOT of strain this outs other cloud engine infrastructure costs associated with both and finally the cpu and battery to transmit each conversation and session: english sent, database in cloud rendering transmit toast, requested language received, conversion in cloud, transmit language render on device. Now the reply repeat all. Now think of glyph based or character based languages such as Kanji, traditional Chinese or Japanese?!?!

There is a LOT going to go on... on top of BBM voice chat video and screen sharing and channels in this app alone to handle something like this. it'll be a wondrous thing I'm sure but BlackBerry is not known to market bold ideas such as this too well.

We shall see.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    04-21-14 02:54 AM
    Great idea!

Personally I think it's the lazy way out. There is something actually a LOT that is lost when not learning a language!

There is a LOT of strain this outs other cloud engine infrastructure costs associated with both and finally the cpu and battery to transmit each conversation and session: english sent, database in cloud rendering transmit toast, requested language received, conversion in cloud, transmit language render on device. Now the reply repeat all. Now think of glyph based or character based languages such as Kanji, traditional Chinese or Japanese?!?!

There is a LOT going to go on... on top of BBM voice chat video and screen sharing and channels in this app alone to handle something like this. it'll be a wondrous thing I'm sure but BlackBerry is not known to market bold ideas such as this too well.

We shall see.

Well this would work well in unison with my other idea of bbm groups being a seperate app so ease the stress on the program, like I added at the end and after thinking more about it, this actually doesn't need to be based in bbm it can be BlackBerry's translator app that is incorporated into the whole os (search etc) and would work well with am advanced voice assistant..

In terms of 'the lazy way out' I'm sure it would help some people learn the language as they would see the native text and the translation if they wanted to..

A smartphone is the lazy way out to be honest lol but it's less about objects and more about people, lazy people will be lazy, active people will be active..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-21-14 03:03 AM
    I actually do not support this idea, not with the current technology, and certainly not in the foreseeable future (that is, in 3-4 years)

The problem is the fact that, in language, there are a lot of subtleties that are tied to culture rather than grammar or vocabulary. Google Translate, pretty much the most advanced translator available to me right now, is not up to the task

One good example is the British remark of "bloody hell". It's not used to paint the image of Hell covered in blood, but is pretty much the equivalent of "wow" or something. Right now there is a Google Translate page open in my browser, translating English "bloody hell" to Indonesian "neraka berdarah" (which literally means Hell covered in blood)

I do not know whether "bloody hell" is actually of British origin, but I usually see it used in British TV programs.

Another example would be the English phrase "Holy s**t" (you know what I'm saying). It doesn't mean an excrement of divine origins, it's an exclamation usually used in place of "wow" or something. Translated literally, it'd bring frown upon many other culture's faces

So no, auto-translation in BBM won't do much. There is also a conundrum: if you can't communicate with the person you're chatting to properly, why the hell did you even add them in the first place? And why haven't you started learning their language yet?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-21-14 04:09 AM
    I actually do not support this idea, not with the current technology, and certainly not in the foreseeable future (that is, in 3-4 years)

The problem is the fact that, in language, there are a lot of subtleties that are tied to culture rather than grammar or vocabulary. Google Translate, pretty much the most advanced translator available to me right now, is not up to the task

One good example is the British remark of "bloody hell". It's not used to paint the image of Hell covered in blood, but is pretty much the equivalent of "wow" or something. Right now there is a Google Translate page open in my browser, translating English "bloody hell" to Indonesian "neraka berdarah" (which literally means Hell covered in blood)

I do not know whether "bloody hell" is actually of British origin, but I usually see it used in British TV programs.

Another example would be the English phrase "Holy s**t" (you know what I'm saying). It doesn't mean an excrement of divine origins, it's an exclamation usually used in place of "wow" or something. Translated literally, it'd bring frown upon many other culture's faces

So no, auto-translation in BBM won't do much. There is also a conundrum: if you can't communicate with the person you're chatting to properly, why the hell did you even add them in the first place? And why haven't you started learning their language yet?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    1) Thank you very much, I appreciate constructive criticism..

2) The issue you're talking about is exactly what this is tackling, if you note I emphasised contextual translation.. not just dictionary, and I personally wouldn't say Google Translate is the most advanced.. the most used maybe but not the most advanced it just does dictionary translation..

3) if you check the links, it's all about getting translations in context.. hypothetically, the way I was thinking in terms of building the algorithm is getting a Translater for each language (already difficult in know) or as many as possible, and have the algorithm learn how they translate phrases in context and thus as time goes by the translations gets better.. Or something like that...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-21-14 04:27 AM

2) The issue you're talking about is exactly what this is tackling, if you note I emphasised contextual translation.. not just dictionary, and I personally wouldn't say Google Translate is the most advanced.. the most used maybe but not the most advanced it just does dictionary translation..

3) if you check the links, it's all about getting translations in context.. hypothetically, the way I was thinking in terms of building the algorithm is getting a Translater for each language (already difficult in know) or as many as possible, and have the algorithm learn how they translate phrases in context and thus as time goes by the translations gets better.. Or something like that...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    we're here man we're here know what I mean?!! On.the real it would be a solid challenge but.it.ould help.bn focus on.what they.should be doimg.best ay it's core research into practice.

Fan Z10 heat map.is.svrewed up.

04-21-14 04:59 PM
    But, does anyone even use proper spelling on chat anymore?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    04-21-14 05:19 PM

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Well, available to me. Perhaps there are better translators out there, but it's certainly not on my budget to try them.

The feature you propose would make BBM better, I agree. Who doesn't want more features? The problem is:

1. You generally only add people to chat with when you know the person in person, or have communicated with them beforehand. This means you both have already had a bridging language to speak with.

2. Auto-translation, in general, is used only when you're out there in the wild. This is mostly because of point 1. You don't use auto-translation seriously in day-to-day chat, unless your day-to-day chat involves recursive translation jokes. This is not the use case a messenger is good for. When using auto-translations, unless it's incredibly good it's mostly for one-off situations, while messenger is meant for chatting over longer period. I'm not saying you can't use messengers for one-off chats, I'm saying that that's not messenger is for, so auto-translation in a messenger won't add much in daily value.

What I'm saying is auto-translation is not an awesome feature that'd make you better in chatting.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    04-23-14 12:09 AM
    God this would be awesome. This would be an AMAZING feature for BBM
    04-23-14 12:14 AM
    But, does anyone even use proper spelling on chat anymore?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    That's a very very good point, I would say lost words are still proper especially on BlackBerry, but even those that aren't can be factored into the algorithm (the most common ones anyway) if there's a problem the program could ask the sender to rephrase?..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-23-14 12:25 AM
    Well, available to me. Perhaps there are better translators out there, but it's certainly not on my budget to try them.

The feature you propose would make BBM better, I agree. Who doesn't want more features? The problem is:

1. You generally only add people to chat with when you know the person in person, or have communicated with them beforehand. This means you both have already had a bridging language to speak with.

2. Auto-translation, in general, is used only when you're out there in the wild. This is mostly because of point 1. You don't use auto-translation seriously in day-to-day chat, unless your day-to-day chat involves recursive translation jokes. This is not the use case a messenger is good for. When using auto-translations, unless it's incredibly good it's mostly for one-off situations, while messenger is meant for chatting over longer period. I'm not saying you can't use messengers for one-off chats, I'm saying that that's not messenger is for, so auto-translation in a messenger won't add much in daily value.

What I'm saying is auto-translation is not an awesome feature that'd make you better in chatting.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2102
    2- True, but people from different languages may add you too, it's not unknown for people to add strangers on bbm, this would help reduce the language barrier

3- this would also be useful for businesses with international clients too i suppose and im sure there are some other instances where it would be useful

4- if you follow my posts I've developed the idea such that the bbm interaction would merely be an extention of a main native Translater app on BlackBerry

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-23-14 12:40 AM
    This actually already exists in a gay dating app called Bender. You can check it out in appworld: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=ES

A translate button appears under your chatpartners texts when your language in settings doesn't match the language your chatpartner has in his settings. It's an ugly implementation of a great idea and it does work.

BBM needs more to put it back on the map though. I shared some thoughts here: http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...d-back-908320/ and here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...re-bbm-834103/

The one thing that BlackBerry should do to get back in the game is bring out a VOIP service that works with landlines.
    Having the eBBM suite and a desktop BBM client would allow them create a VOIP gateway for businesses. If they build it in the BES12 suite businesses can use it to create a manageable and secure VOIP network between their managed devices. Everyone will be using eBBM to make their calls cause it will be secure, encrypted, manageable through BES and cost-effective.
    Get that out there and BES and BlackBerry handsets will slowly but surely get another chance in the corporation segment.

For consumers, I refer to the two links above but they need to focus on getting a desktop client out and improving their groups. If you have to pick between sharing media in a WhatsApp group or in a BBM group ...no contest WhatsApp is more intuitive and user-friendly. They need to assign the majority of the BBM team to improving the app while a minority gets to work on innovating the app.
    04-23-14 02:34 AM
    Great idea!

We shall see.

Disagree with you, I think that an instant BBM translator will not only be useful in international business, but also help you learn the language if you can read the text before translating it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 03:32 AM
    06-08-15 10:02 AM
    I would never auto-translate in a live exchange, especially a business exchange. Expressions, context, have too much variables. "Bloody Hell" is a good example. Even single words. The Hebrew shalom can mean hello, good-bye or peace and variations of those.
    06-08-15 12:22 PM
    I would never auto-translate in a live exchange, especially a business exchange. Expressions, context, have too much variables. "Bloody Hell" is a good example. Even single words. The Hebrew shalom can mean hello, good-bye or peace and variations of those.
    And with Real Machine learning as well as real human beings checking the translations, these problems can disappear

Check Out TechCraze
    06-08-15 06:50 PM

Skype does realtime voice to voice translation.it even translates cultural voice inflections to the equivalent inflection in the translated language. Not sure if it will come to mobile devices though.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 07:28 PM