I just read the thoughts of Chris in CB site today. He was brilliant as always in his post. He said about a long run for whatsapp bring back the investment of Facebook. I couldn't agree more. IM market is great and still promising, but still tough to revenue. How a service like that make money? We know whatsapp has a annual tax that you have to pay for use the service (although most of people i know never paid nothing at all). Whatsapp has the opportunity now to do better and faster.

Chris also commented about the inevitable end of SMS. This is true and the future of SMS. I think five years as he said is the maximum term of this service. But, with this, come another question: What about mobile phone future? I dont know about you guys, but i think mobile phones as we know today will die soon. Why? Think about it: What did you do today with your phone? Probably, browser, some social apps, some messaging apps, some games, some music, youtube... Wait, did you call?? I didnt. And im sure most of you neither. So, i think mobile phone numbers will be irrelevant in some years. Not as fast as SMS, but sooner or later it will happen. I just called my friend ios yesterday using BBM voice. And after a solid experience, i realize phone number is not essential as it was years ago. So, here is the thing: If you could have 50 GB of data, why have mobile phone number? I only use to talk with mom and dad in these days.

So, here is a CHANCE for BBM: How you connect people using BBM: BBID, right? You can use PIN, but is basically BBID. But, What about Whatsapp and others services? Phone numbers. I think everyone knows how it works in these days. So, thinking about mobile phones, this could be good for BBM. If in some years mobile numbers lose their importance, it could affect WhatsApp in anyway? I dont know. Maybe they adapt fast to another way to connect people? I dont know. But, its clear that data will be the most important thing in next years.

By the way: BBM FOREVER!

Sorry about long text.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    02-20-14 01:57 PM
    Good point about phone numbers losing importance in the future. I've always imagined phone numbers going extinct in the next 10 years unless it is repurposed. But now it looks like the repurposing might be WhatsApp's calling.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    02-20-14 02:47 PM
    Interesting fact. Wonder whats Whatsapp's next move.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    02-21-14 02:46 AM
    First, a sidenote, send the warriors - BBM beta now offers stickers, because that's really what it needs to catch up

Second, phone numbers will not become obsolete, at least for a good while. Internet is unstable in comparison to voice calling. Even when you pay $70 a month for your own fiber optic 30Mbps internet, you get peaks and valleys of unstable connectivity. Weather has effects, the service providers, etc... Phone calls sort of the same way but they're more easy and straightforward, they work, they're stable, and they're reliable. Lots of people talk on the phone all day long. I made 3-4 calls today, sent calls and received calls for work and coordinating afterward. People have different lifestyles. I'm sure it's easy to assume others live the way you do, but a large portion of the world uses their phones as phones, I'm sure of it.
    02-22-14 02:40 AM
    First, a sidenote, send the warriors - BBM beta now offers stickers, because that's really what it needs to catch up

Second, phone numbers will not become obsolete, at least for a good while. Internet is unstable in comparison to voice calling. Even when you pay $70 a month for your own fiber optic 30Mbps internet, you get peaks and valleys of unstable connectivity. Weather has effects, the service providers, etc... Phone calls sort of the same way but they're more easy and straightforward, they work, they're stable, and they're reliable. Lots of people talk on the phone all day long. I made 3-4 calls today, sent calls and received calls for work and coordinating afterward. People have different lifestyles. I'm sure it's easy to assume others live the way you do, but a large portion of the world uses their phones as phones, I'm sure of it.
    Totally agree with what you said. But, I think the time of phone numbers become obsolete could be something about 10 years. Not less. Ten years is the minimum. Tech market development pace is incredible. Think about ten years ago. My cellphone had the size of a brick and was terrible. Everyone was using regular phones. Think about this evolution in ten years.

First, we must agree that, one day or another, phone numbers will disappear. And that's a fact. Simply because people will not use it. It's going to lose its purpose. everything will be data. Maybe today Internet is not that reliable yet, but again, think about ten years. Things will evolve much faster in the next ten than last ten and look how fast it was.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    02-24-14 10:16 AM