And, it sucks.

For me the best version of BBM was version 6 on my 9900, because...

1. Messages had a list mode that didn't waste screen space on the chat bubble art.

2. The text input box was the width of the screen.

3. The physical BlackBerry button was there to attach pictures, so no screen space was wasted - it was all chat text.

Perhaps I am the only person on earth who only uses the chat and pictures sharing features of BBM, but as that person I have to say that new versions of BBM need the options that pair down the interface so that it resembles version 6. I don't use/need/want all this new junk.

If it wasn't for the terrible camera, poor browser, and lack of things like a built in flashlight app, in BBOS7, I would go back to the 9900 from the Q10/Z10 that I have. 99% of what I do with my BlackBerry is BBM, email, sms, and picture sharing.

Sincerely,

A person who values simplicity and minimalism in UIs.
    11-02-14 12:30 PM
    You know I hadn't even noticed this,but you're right! Thanks, now it's all I can think about while in BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gatmyer; 11-02-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    11-02-14 12:34 PM
    You know I hadn't even noticed this,but your right! Thanks, now it's all I can think about while in BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, me too :/

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:38 PM
    Great post OP.

I agree with a lot of what you said. New features are great, but it seems BlackBerrry is ALWAYS revising there UI's for everything from BBM to the Incoming call screen to the camera app...

I agree that BBM is a bit cluttered and confusing if you are not fluent in its operation. A couple minor UI tweaks to the layout would solve this. I wish I could disable stickers on my end entirely.
    11-02-14 12:50 PM
    And, it sucks.

1. Messages had a list mode that didn't waste screen space on the chat bubble art.

3. The physical BlackBerry button was there to attach pictures, so no screen space was wasted - it was all chat text.

Perhaps I am the only person on earth who only uses the chat and pictures sharing features of BBM, but as that person I have to say that new versions of BBM need the options that pair down the interface so that it resembles version 6. I don't use/need/want all this new junk.

If it wasn't for the terrible camera, poor browser, and lack of things like a built in flashlight app, in BBOS7, I would go back to the 9900 from the Q10/Z10 that I have. 99% of what I do with my BlackBerry is BBM, email, sms, and picture sharing.

Sincerely,

This. I want list-mode messages back. Bubble messages waste so much space with un-necessary indentation. I want to be able to see more of message and less of un-necessary bubble art!

9900 has smaller screen, lower screen resolution compared to my Q10 and yet it displays more lines of messages, emails than bigger screen-ed Q10!!!!
    11-02-14 03:58 PM
    This. I want list-mode messages back. Bubble messages waste so much space with un-necessary indentation. I want to be able to see more of message and less of un-necessary bubble art!

9900 has smaller screen, lower screen resolution compared to my Q10 and yet it displays more lines of messages, emails than bigger screen-ed Q10!!!!
    Where were you all this time? I can't believe someone finally agrees with me on this!

I HATE the bubble chat in this BBM I like the old ones on BBOS, the bubble uses A LOT of space, WHY???

BBM needs a complete redesign!

Posted via CB10
    johnnyhead and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    11-02-14 04:49 PM
    OP you are spot on. I hate the new text box. I also have 2 other complaints I'd like to hear feedback on:
    1 - The expiring message thing is dumb. It's a blatant copy of SnapChat, and BBM is supposed to be a secure chat experience, not a substitute for apps that 12 year old girls with braces enjoy.
    2 - The ability to retract your message is nice enough - except that the chat then reads "Message retracted" for the other person to see. In other words, if you say something stupid, your friend or colleague can immediately ask "What were you about to say? Huh? HUH??"
    That aspect has got to be anonymous.

Come on BB.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    11-02-14 04:56 PM
    what I don't like is they took away the back arrow to the left of the text box.
    11-02-14 04:57 PM
    Where were you all this time? I can't believe someone finally agrees with me on this!

I HATE the bubble chat in this BBM I like the old ones on BBOS, the bubble uses A LOT of space, WHY???

BBM needs a complete redesign!

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I have been saying this for a very long time - since I got my hands on first BB 10 device (Z10) back in Feb or March 2013. Not only did I post this suggestion on many 'what do you wan to see in 10.xyz' threads but also given this suggestion directly to folks from BB in various events (BlackBerry Experience Forums) but alas BlackBerry has paid no attention to this suggestion.
    11-02-14 04:57 PM
    Oh, I have been saying this for a very long time - since I got my hands on first BB 10 device (Z10) back in Feb or March 2013. Not only did I post this suggestion on many 'what do you wan to see in 10.xyz' threads but also given this suggestion directly to folks from BB in various events (BlackBerry Experience Forums) but alas BlackBerry has paid no attention to this suggestion.
    Because they are too busy trying to make money off BBM!! BBM needs a lot of UI improvement and they aren't even trying, one of the first things my old BlackBerry friends told me when they downloaded BBM on Android was that the bubbles are TOO BIG!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:36 AM
    There's an incredible amount of wasted screen space in BB10 in general, I always felt I had way more in screen information on the 9900 vs Q10

BBM for iPhone is just as bad, name and profile picture beside every chat line wastes soooo much chat space, with the keyboard up I can only see 3 lines of conversation, that's it.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    11-03-14 05:05 AM
    And, it sucks.

Sincerely,

While I wouldn't go back to BBOS7. It was nice during its time but it's done. Far too limited in so many ways, especially BBM. Your point with regard to text box width is a good one. Personally, I hadn't noticed but BlackBerry obviously took space for the retract feature. I agree that they need to be a bit more clever with the design.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 06:15 AM
    It's great on the passport!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 07:14 AM
    It's to force you to buy bigger and bigger phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 07:26 AM
    Playbook007. That's exactly what I was thinking......

BleedBlk-
    11-03-14 07:28 AM
    Haha, this!
    11-03-14 07:58 AM
    Great post OP.

I agree with a lot of what you said. New features are great, but it seems BlackBerrry is ALWAYS revising there UI's for everything from BBM to the Incoming call screen to the camera app...

I agree that BBM is a bit cluttered and confusing if you are not fluent in its operation. A couple minor UI tweaks to the layout would solve this. I wish I could disable stickers on my end entirely.
    Agreed, stickers drive me nuts

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    LuisCast likes this.
    11-03-14 11:18 AM
    Maybe you will be able to buy a larger text box as part of the premium features bundle... lol

Posted via CB10
    gebco and Thesmartmale like this.
    11-03-14 12:21 PM
    The only wasted real estate is the bubbles, and the fact that it doesn't show when the text was read, or even once selected it doesn't show the individual messages sent / received time.

The SMS app is very good on the other hand. The new features are good but they should be working on maximizing viewing space too

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 12:24 PM
    Who cares. It really makes no difference. People seriously complain for the dumbest things and for nothing.

It literally us insignificant whether it's the size that it's now or how it was before.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 12:36 PM
    Who cares. It really makes no difference. People seriously complain for the dumbest things and for nothing.

It literally us insignificant whether it's the size that it's now or how it was before.

Posted via CB10
    Please leave the thread if you are gonna start posting lame posts, we know what we're talking about!

Posted via CB10
    LuisCast likes this.
    11-03-14 01:05 PM
    There's an incredible amount of wasted screen space in BB10 in general, I always felt I had way more in screen information on the 9900 vs Q10

BBM for iPhone is just as bad, name and profile picture beside every chat line wastes soooo much chat space, with the keyboard up I can only see 3 lines of conversation, that's it.
    Exactly! For some reason the BBM team thinks that iPhone users don't want "hide keyboard" and " hide display pictures in chats" options.

I can't figure out why they aren't giving them those options.

Posted via CB10
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    11-03-14 01:08 PM

Posted via CB10

That's just mean... Lol!

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    11-03-14 01:30 PM
    I agree with op, an option to dump all the cr@p would be nice.

? Z10
    11-03-14 04:42 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Looks great on the Passport..... been about three years since I used my bold 9900...

Anyway feedback is always good so hopefully blackberry is noticing...

BBM: Each new version makes the text input box smaller...-img_20141104_075214.png

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:55 PM
44 12