How often does Google Playstore update the number of downloads? I noticed BBM has been stuck at 10 million plus downloads the past week. BBM has been quite buggy for me sending pictures. I also noticed the keyboard hides the bottom messages which forces me to scroll down to see the last message which is quite irritating.
    11-09-13 10:52 PM
    WhatsApp offers, in most people's minds, a much more attractive appearance. In the crackberry.com site, people go crazy if you say that but in the outside world that's the case. There is no 'loyalty' to BBM or BlackBerry out there, why should there be? I love BlackBerry personally, but I also recognise that it is a completely toxic brand. When I have tried to get people to switch, many of them have said they are done with BBM because they aren't thirteen anymore.

Unless BBM works to be the best messaging app in all areas, it just will not catch on. Hundreds of people in here have called me crazy in the past for telling the truth about what BBM lacks, but we will be able to see what happens in the coming months. I personally prefer BBM for the D and R, but think WhatsApp is much 'prettier'. I rather like my WhatsApp wallpaper, and the emoticons, and use them in conversation all the time. BBM is boring and grey, and only offers me a small handful of emoticon options. I don't think that will sway the masses. A lot of people just don't care about D and R.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:43 AM
    It�s unfortunate, but i think you�re right.
    11-10-13 04:36 AM
    Last week bbm was the 2nd most downloaded app in the app store and this week it is 45th. Does it mean anything. Even WhatsApp is ranked higher!!
    Position in the weekly download rankings is pretty much irrelevant a few weeks after launch. Most who want the app already have it and don't need to download again unless they change hardware.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-10-13 05:10 AM
    I have the same feedback here. Lots of people downloaded and were unimpressed.
    No one believes Whatsapp second check mark doesn't mean 'read'
    11-10-13 05:15 AM
    It means that one &^%% of a lot of BBM has been down loaded for people to enjoy and are now using.
    11-10-13 06:45 AM
    If BBRY are serious about BBM4ALL they probably have functional internal versions with Voice, Video, Screenshare and Channels.
    Right now they should have been able to gauge how their systems would be able handle these being released to all. Or not, i know.
    Reading too much into rankings in ecosystems with a billion+ apps and millions of devices is not very smart hence they said going forward tbey will focus on "active users"
    Footnote. That said BBM is still doing well howeveryou wanna look at it.
    11-10-13 07:16 AM
    I wonder how the ranking works on Google Play. I'm in the United States and BBM isn't showing up in any of the "top categories". Checked from two different phones with two different Google accounts and it isn't there on either.

The top free category goes to 500 and includes every messaging app I can think of. Even YIM is in the list, but no BBM? A Virtual Girlfriend: Bartender app as well as supermodel strip show made the top 500, but not BBM? That's crazy if accurate and as far as I can tell it is accurate.
    11-10-13 08:38 AM
    Reading too much into rankings in ecosystems with a billion+ apps and millions of devices is not very smart hence they said going forward tbey will focus on "active users"
    Footnote. That said BBM is still doing well howeveryou wanna look at it.
    However we wanna look at it? You just said we couldn't look at it. You said that gauging how BBM is doing based on its rank in app stores is silly, then said they're focusing on active users. Well, how are we to know how many active users they have? We don't and won't and at the end of the day, we don't even know what they call active users.

What about all of my friends that downloaded the app on day one, registered for it, got it all setup, sent a few messages and then uninstalled it and went back to hangouts over the next couple of days. Does BlackBerry consider them to be active users? You could say yes or no, but honestly, we don't know.
    11-10-13 08:47 AM
    I wonder how the ranking works on Google Play. I'm in the United States and BBM isn't showing up in any of the "top categories". Checked from two different phones with two different Google accounts and it isn't there on either.
    I see it at #131. Not at the level of WhatsApp of course, but still pretty respectable.

What about all of my friends that downloaded the app on day one, registered for it, got it all setup, sent a few messages and then uninstalled it and went back to hangouts over the next couple of days. Does BlackBerry consider them to be active users? You could say yes or no, but honestly, we don't know.
    My family and I have stopped using it also, at least until the next update. I'm apparently one of the unlucky ones who is having reliability issues with it.

I wonder how BlackBerry counts active users.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Saiga likes this.
    11-10-13 09:02 AM
    Android rankings are based on both downloads and active installs, most apps will not break 50% active installs.

Apple rankings are almost purely downloads, thats probably why BBM has plumeted so much, the initial burst of installs hasnt been sustained, if WhatsApp is ahead of BBM that means it is still attracting more new installs than BBM and given how long WhatsApp has been out for thats not a great sign.
    11-10-13 09:05 AM
    I see it at #131. Not at the level of WhatsApp of course, but still pretty respectable.

My family and I have stopped using it also, at least until the next update. I'm apparently one of the unlucky ones who is having reliability issues with it.

I wonder how BlackBerry counts active users.

Where are you located at?

BBM is down from 2nd to 45th in the app store.-screenshot_2013-11-10-10-07-39.png

It is really strange that it don't show up at all for me. I don't expect it to be in the top 200, but surely it should be with in the top 500 somewhere for me.
    11-10-13 09:11 AM
    Where are you located at?
    Washington, DC right now. Maybe it's regional? There are a lot of BlackBerry users still here.

11-10-13 09:33 AM
    they need to seriously update it to fix all the bugs, add the ability to silence group notifications (like wtf) and update their picture sharing compression techniques from 2001 to 2013 standards then it might stay at the top with whatsapp
    hkkelvinlee likes this.
    11-10-13 09:52 AM
    Washington, DC right now. Maybe it's regional?

Maybe, but I'm only 5ish hours from DC.

I went ahead and cleared the cache, and data for Google Play Store. Didn't change anything though. I'm wondering if it isn't showing at all because I installed and then deleted it. Oh well, shows how weird Google Play rankings work.
    11-10-13 10:06 AM
    The hype faded fast, It's not going to be easy for BBM, after all. Downloads are high only in countries where BlackBerry have good market share, the rest of the world pretty much forgot about BBM.
    Agree. I was really looking forward to it, but it's so buggy between me and my BB contacts that we've gone back to using whatsapp or handouts. Just this morning someone sent me "Good Morning" (1 message) my app badge said I had "8" new messages. I could read it when I pulled down my notification center but when I opened BBM the message wasn't there. Smh...
    11-10-13 10:17 AM
    11-10-13 10:18 AM
    I know, but many don't even know it exists. I had to get my sister to download it (because she didn't know what it was). She used it fine. Until yesterday when she tells me she doesn't get how to use it! What's not to get. You've been using it the last week! Everything is so user friendly!

I guess I'll end my rage here
    If BlackBerry implemented screen share for other platforms, you would have been able to demonstrate all she wants to know I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 10:22 AM
    At least it's in good company. Myfitnesspal and Waze are two of my favorite apps!
    11-10-13 10:29 AM
    Here in the U.S. it was at 57 in the App Store yesterday. Today it's dropped to 64. What's weird is that Whatsapp, which has been out much longer, is at 36, and Kik is at 32.
    11-10-13 10:33 AM
    Pretty sure the novelty has worn off. Of the people in my circle who've downloaded, no one is actually using it.

Would be interesting to know of the 20 million odd downloads, how many actually use it?
    20 million active new users. read the original article bb didnt state total downloads they stated active new users. Downloads was probably around 40 Million.

all my friends switched to bbm i dont use whatsapp anymore except for 1 stubburn friend so I had to redownload whats app for her.
    11-10-13 10:49 AM
    20 million active new users. read the original article bb didnt state total downloads they stated active new users.
    But how exactly do they define "active new user"?

11-10-13 10:59 AM
    But how exactly do they define "active new user"?

Yeah especially during the first week, you cant give a meaningful active user number.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-10-13 11:02 AM
    When they get voice/video chat plus screen sharing features, it will be a different story
    11-10-13 02:36 PM
    I think it may have something to do with apps getting updates, like when facebook gets an update people download the update and it goes up in the store but I think I'm wrong, just wanted to share my thoughts lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:44 PM
81 1234