I don't know if it's just me, I doubt it. I'm sick and tired of going to a Channel, seeing a post I like then go to comment and just get bombarded with PINS. People don't say anything to do with the actual post. It's ridiculous.

Like should BlackBerry do anything about this, cause it's ruining my experience.

Zed30
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    03-13-14 02:20 PM
    Human nature. It has gotten to the point where we need others to police/monitor our behaviours.
    03-13-14 02:38 PM
    I hate PIN spam too.

What I do is monitor my Channel comments, post reminders not to PIN spam every so often, and ask subscribers to report PIN spam so that I can scrub it from existence.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 04:44 PM
    Thats the only thing i dont like about Channels. I really dont know why anyone would want to add random people to their BBM anyways. I already have 200 FB friends i never talk to.
    03-13-14 04:50 PM
    I hate PIN spam too.

What I do is monitor my Channel comments, post reminders not to PIN spam every so often, and ask subscribers to report PIN spam so that I can scrub it from existence.

Posted via CB10
    That's good you keep up with it and monitor your channel. It's not even just pins either. People just post "Hi" "Hello" and add nothing to the conversation. I thought conversing was what Channels was supposed to be all about.

Actually BlackBerry and BBM channels are the worst, I deleted both of them today. Like look at this pic.

BBM Channels needs Enforcers!-img_20140313_181221.png

Zed30
    03-13-14 05:15 PM
    Not just you by a long shot, but you'll find arguments from the other side that that's what channels is all about, getting your own channels exposed in the greatest number of other channels in the most blatant obtrusive way possible. (Replying to your own comment promoting your channel with the same comment promoting your channel...my favourite move, see above.)

Will not subscribe to a single one that's posted like that. Unfortunately, the more popular the channel, the more likely to be cursed with such abusers--my own channel has been blessed by a paucity of tasteful subscribers who've never thrown an irrelevant comment at me. "hi" as a comment is almost lower than "first" imo.

What would help greatly, I think, is the ability to moderate comments from the device itself, not just from the web portal. How many channel owners even know there's a web portal?
    03-13-14 05:28 PM
    My channel has also been blessed with minimal to no abuse, but I have seen the ridiculous postings elsewhere. A shame as the whole idea seems to be about engagement

From my new z30
    03-13-14 05:35 PM
    I hate these pin spams too. Every time I leave a comment I get some offer for Indonesian cigarettes or a Nigerian prince email scam or just some stranger giving me his pin like I actually want to chat with a complete stranger from another continent. Or more recently somebody just being like "hi" to one of my posts. So annoying.

Z30 10.2.1.537
    03-13-14 05:36 PM
    its the way its always been. We have it here in the forums too. BB cant do anything about it. i thought as channel admin you can block people and delete the posts though. its time consuming though and really a turnoff to some
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-13-14 05:41 PM
    What would help greatly, I think, is the ability to moderate comments from the device itself, not just from the web portal. How many channel owners even know there's a web portal?
    What do you mean moderate from device? I can delete and block from device just fine.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-13-14 05:56 PM
    Nip it in the Bud..you are so right,BB get it done
    03-13-14 06:04 PM
    Surprisingly I've had no channel spam and I'm at almost 2500 subscribers. I'm pleased. But it does bother me seeing other channels with this issue. I want to slap the commentators!

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-13-14 06:04 PM
    No different on Instagram...ppl advertising on the comments. It's stupid but works.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 06:23 PM
    Surprisingly I've had no channel spam and I'm at almost 2500 subscribers. I'm pleased. But it does bother me seeing other channels with this issue. I want to slap the commentators!

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    It seems to be more regional, I'm not for sure though. I think if BlackBerry gave people another option to promote their Channel, like having a better search and categories.

How did you promote your channel?

Zed30
    03-13-14 07:19 PM
    Simply report it. That way Channel moderators can deal with it quickly as to having to read through all comments.

Posted via CB10 "Powered by BlackBerry "
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-13-14 07:24 PM
    It is ridiculous. What is it that possesses a person to post something like "Hi" in the comments of a channel?!? I just don't get it.
    03-13-14 07:57 PM
    Simply report it. That way Channel moderators can deal with it quickly as to having to read through all comments.

Posted via CB10 "Powered by BlackBerry "
    I reported about 300 comments today across about 15 channels. Many of them were the same people posting spam across multiple channels.

It took me about 1/2 hour, I'll try to spend 5-10 minutes a day reporting any spam on the Channels I've joined. Maybe others can try to do the same if they have time.

Zed30
    dusdal likes this.
    03-14-14 03:05 AM
    I just let it be if people want to PIN share. No different from YouTube, blogs, etc. People just want to connect or give an opinion.

For non-Channel admins, focus on checking out the content and not the comments if it really bothers you. I pretty much stopped caring unless there's a comment truly offensive. I don't have the time to police everything. However, for serial spammers, I limit them to 1 piece of spam per post. :P

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 06:19 AM
    I just let it be if people want to PIN share. No different from YouTube, blogs, etc. People just want to connect or give an opinion.

For non-Channel admins, focus on checking out the content and not the comments if it really bothers you. I pretty much stopped caring unless there's a comment truly offensive. I don't have the time to police everything. However, for serial spammers, I limit them to 1 piece of spam per post. :P

Posted via CB10
    Well the BBM team needs to bring in categories and one of those categories needs to be "PIN Sharing" there are already numerous channels already that are geared towards sharing PINs, but their not that popular because their aren't one of the featured channels.

To me the comments are part of the content, I read both. I am more concerned of the serial spammers though.

I'm still not sure why you would want to share your personal pin with thousands of people, that's almost like sharing your email. I'm not sure if you can, but can people just not send you spam using PIN to PIN messaging. They don't need to be your contact.

Zed30
    03-14-14 09:25 AM
    I really do not like what Blackberry is doing with BBM Channels. They are trying to turn BBM into something that it is not. BBM is a communications app, not a social network for brands. Channels is basically trying to be a less social Twitter with less features and less brand support. At least twitter is a standalone app, while Channels is hidden inside a menu and then when you get to it you basically get something that look like mobile blog posts with comments. Most posts are links to other news websites and most comments are people sharing their Pins. Channels just takes away from the core chat experience which is what BBM is about.

I prefer what they are doing with stickers, although I don't love the idea of paying for stickers, I understand that they need ways to make money and I would argue that at least the stickers are part of the core experience (sharing/emticons). Even the paid PINS is a better idea.

And its not even that popular. If you look at some of the popular channels on BBM you'll see that Disney and WSJ only hav 12,000/15,000 users while they have 3M/4M on Twitter. It is just not popular enough and its even worse that they are already trying to put advertising in there. They should just scrap BBM Channels and focus on value added services. I would want the BBM team to come up with better ways to make money without taking away from the core experience.
    farskija likes this.
    03-14-14 11:25 AM
    That's what I don't get. How is posting "Hi" connecting? It's senseless.
    03-14-14 03:10 PM
    ... They should just scrap BBM Channels and focus on value added services. I would want the BBM team to come up with better ways to make money without taking away from the core experience.
    I tend to agree, or keep it as an option -- it is useful as an option, and having options is good -- but don't focus on it or develop it. Focus all energy, ideas, and money on BBM's traditional communication experience including the newly added, incredibly useful voice and video calling options.
    03-14-14 03:14 PM
    By the way, if you're a Channel owner, hate PIN spam and end up getting featured, immediately go to the Channels Web Admin console and block Indonesia and Nigeria. Had I done so at first, it would have saved me a great deal of trouble.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-14-14 03:17 PM
    By the way, if you're a Channel owner, hate PIN spam and end up getting featured, immediately go to the Channels Web Admin console and block Indonesia and Nigeria. Had I done so at first, it would have saved me a great deal of trouble.

Posted via CB10
    Good to know, thanks. It seemed to be more regional, but not all of it.

Zed30
    03-14-14 04:27 PM
    I really do not like what Blackberry is doing with BBM Channels. They are trying to turn BBM into something that it is not. BBM is a communications app, not a social network for brands .
    Why not have both?

Visit my channel @ C0029395D
    03-15-14 08:09 AM
27 12