So if you had to register to use BBM would have been 1 less reason to try it,
    That is the point I am trying to make, the Market is far more competative now in quality IM clients, and RIM is making BBM less attractive to the users who never have used it before

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nope i doubt it will. when it goes to other platforms its going to be stripped down so it will be as good as gtalk, yahoo or aim. Not one of my friends or family use BBM exclusively, **** only have 2-3 that have BBs anymore. Everyone is now on Android or iOS and i suspect this is a popular trend right now
    Assuming that changes, which I'm sure RIM is, people will sign onto their new BB and be asked to create a BBID in the way that "This ID will control everything you need that is BB related"

I don't think it's a bad thing, but a user coming onto the BB platform would be inclined to try BBM...I mean why not? Now a days it's out there more than it was when we all first started using BB's which gives them the frame of mind to want to push users to the "Full BlackBerry Experience".

To a new user, this is just one little step in linking your email with your BB and bam, you're in. They won't see a problem with it because they've never known anything else. Us on the other hand will have no problem using it because it's what we use already!

Yea sure, I am the same way, I don't use BBM outside of personal friends/family/or certain other close associates I enjoy speaking with, but when it comes down to it, BBM is going to become more of a social platform and this is the first step.

I don't see the issue here...
    04-12-11 03:10 PM
    nope i doubt it will. when it goes to other platforms its going to be stripped down so it will be as good as gtalk, yahoo or aim. Not one of my friends or family use BBM exclusively, **** only have 2-3 that have BBs anymore. Everyone is now on Android or iOS and i suspect this is a popular trend right now
    I think you proved my point though. You have family who use BBM and most likely use it with you as well. They may use other apps to communicate with non-BB users, but for BB users they will use BBM to communicate.
    04-14-11 04:59 PM
    I think you proved my point though. You have family who use BBM and most likely use it with you as well. They may use other apps to communicate with non-BB users, but for BB users they will use BBM to communicate.
    i said 2-3 members, and actually we dont use BBM we use gtlalk or SMS since that is what the majority of everyone else has. So we actually prove the opposite of your point
    04-14-11 08:47 PM

Also, I think the OP is not getting it right. As long as RIM ties the BBID to the phone the way Android and WP7 handle Google/Windows Live Logins, it will be fine.

The minute the phone boots up, you are logged in and there is functionally no difference. Pins are a bit... odd... anyways. It's 2011* and there are much more elegant solutions than cryptic PINs.

Also, they can still keep PINs, but if they want to move the BBM service to other platforms they will need an alternative method of accessing the services. Android, iOS, WebOS, WP7, etc. devices do not have BB PINs.
    Last edited by N8ter; 04-14-11 at 09:59 PM.
    04-14-11 09:52 PM
    I guess my I have bbm t shirt displaying my pin won't be any good for long nights at the bar lol

04-15-11 01:55 AM
    I guess my I have bbm t shirt displaying my pin won't be any good for long nights at the bar lol

Do you seriously have something like that?
    04-15-11 05:18 AM
    Seems trivial.. if you have a BB 99% of the time you're also gonna have an email address...or start out with the intent to create one. If anything, it'll cut down on the amount of people spamming their PIN's all over the place.. People will take more safeguards if it's related to an email account or some sort of PII.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people in the run of a day ask for their PIN to be removed because they decided to share it with someone they hardly knew and they turned out be shall we say, not so friendly and it's not even just on CrackBerry -- it comes from everywhere, people who shared it on Twitter, App World wherever.. once it's out there they have no idea how to get it removed.

And who knows, it might help make those not so friendly folks think twice about their actions as well.
    I'd say it'd make that problem worse. If all you need is an e-mail address to set up a new one, you'd be a lot more careless giving your BBID out, because it's easy to just make a new account, whereas with PINs, you need a whole new BB to get a new one.

As for the move itself, I think RIM will keep PINs for BBM, but they'll add BBID as a second option for people on other platforms. It keeps the simplicity of BBM for BB users, but lets non-BB users set up an account if they wish. Makes sense.
    04-15-11 05:50 AM
    ALl i know is I like the uniqueness of the BB pins and I think BBID should only be something for app world, transactions or the cloud.. the PIN should still be left as the main stayer for swapping details and leave BBM as easy to get into as its always been.
    04-15-11 06:39 AM
    Sorry for bringing this up again, but I just don't get it. I don't use AppWorld, and I don't really want to make a BlackBerry ID. Will I be forced to make one in order to update BBM or to keep using it?
    07-27-11 06:07 PM
    So to one of my points,

WHY use BBM? if you are a NEW Blackberry user, WHY use BBM? you came from Android and had a LiveProfile account, why create a new account for BBM? just skip over BBM and keep using live profile.
    Fully encrypted, better and more integrated functionality. I do worry about the security aspect. No way to clone a pin, or it would be extremely difficult. BBID could added to a rogue device easier I would think. I'll need to see the final implementation though.
    07-27-11 06:12 PM
    The pin system is absolutely stupid. In 2011 everything is tied into an ecosystem account. For me, it's gmail. So my contacts, calendar etc. are setup through my bb to gmail. Furthermore, moving from BB to BB and the pin system are a pain in the ****. I don't care what any of you say because some of you defend it and call it user error ("you're an *****" etc.). The pin system HAS to go in order for BB to remain relevant in TODAYs market with TODAYs consumers.

Sorry, but it's just the way the world is going. People are moving to other platforms because they are easy to setup out the box with an email address, everything is tied to the cloud and when they buy a new iphone or android (to an update or not) they sign in and it's all there that second.

To answer Tonis question, I am sure you have to and it's weird that you haven't because I DID have to set one up. Especially if I want to update FB BBM etc. I mean I have to sign in every single time to do so.
    07-27-11 06:17 PM
    To answer Tonis question, I am sure you have to and it's weird that you haven't because I DID have to set one up. Especially if I want to update FB BBM etc. I mean I have to sign in every single time to do so.
    Well, that's just it. I haven't updated BBM. An update was "offered" via a prompt, but I didn't take it.

07-27-11 06:23 PM
    Since we use a BBID for appworld, it doesn't make any difference.

07-27-11 06:48 PM
    In todays app centered world...dontt you think just about eeveryone getting a BlackBerry will download at least oone app, or ttheme, or something from app world? Right there you need aa BBID. Then if you decide to play around with. BBM your covered.

On a side note, my sister just got a Curve from sprint, and she had no issues setting up her BBM...maybe because its an older device?

07-28-11 08:44 AM
    In todays app centered world...dontt you think just about eeveryone getting a BlackBerry will download at least oone app, or ttheme, or something from app world? Right there you need aa BBID. Then if you decide to play around with. BBM your covered
    Here's what my list of third party applications looks like:
    07-28-11 09:36 AM
    I don't think Pin is going anywhere, BBID will be used to change your contacts from one device to another, similar to how Blackberry Protect operated, you can restore a backup to a new device and retain all the info, even sms.

Unique pins have been generated in the past to non blackberry devices to use with blackberry connect.

BBID will just make things easier for all of us, don't panic.

07-28-11 09:53 AM
    but you surely do know that the majority of BB users, like 99,9999% has a BB ID and 3rd party apps right?
    and you do realize that RIM has to focus on whats best for them and the majority of BB users right?

on top of it, i dont see whats the problem
    it takes like 30 seconds to create a BB ID and then you can use ur apps and maybe even try using any 3rd party application?
    im planning on using about 45 on my BB 9900 (when it gets released)

there are quite a few awesome apps out there
    07-28-11 09:57 AM
    you might as well get a dumbphone...it does the same as what you are using your BB for now really...
    07-28-11 09:58 AM
    The pin system is absolutely stupid. In 2011 everything is tied into an ecosystem account. For me, it's gmail. So my contacts, calendar etc. are setup through my bb to gmail. Furthermore, moving from BB to BB and the pin system are a pain in the ****. I don't care what any of you say because some of you defend it and call it user error ("you're an *****" etc.). The pin system HAS to go in order for BB to remain relevant in TODAYs market with TODAYs consumers.

Sorry, but it's just the way the world is going. People are moving to other platforms because they are easy to setup out the box with an email address, everything is tied to the cloud and when they buy a new iphone or android (to an update or not) they sign in and it's all there that second.

I understand what you are saying, but I think it is a bit exaggerated. PIN=Security, and it doesn't matter how old fashioned that is, it is true. When my daughter BBM's me I am 100% sure it is her phone, and because she loves her BB, I'm 99.9% sure it is her and not one of her friends.

No other non-hardware ID system can do that. And though I realize why RIM is doing this, so that they can port BBM to other platforms I certainly hope they keep PIN's on the BB's as the primary ID and create something similar on all the other platforms, perhaps generate a PIN based on the IMED which is also a hardware locked number for every phone in existance.

CS
    07-28-11 10:38 AM
    This also didn't work. I tried both and had to re-add my contacts.
    Strange, did you have the latest bbm version installed before changing to a new device?
    07-28-11 12:26 PM
    On a side note, my sister just got a Curve from sprint, and she had no issues setting up her BBM...maybe because its an older device?

All I had to do was type my name in and I was done. Setting up BBM is one of the least complicated things you have to do when you get a new BB.

If you swap over from another device, the BB DM software does it for you.
    07-28-11 12:27 PM
    you might as well get a dumbphone...it does the same as what you are using your BB for now really...
    Really? Even dumb phones can use aim, wlm, yim, and google talk? (Those are all RIM applications on my phone.) I also have bbm, navigation through my carrier (third party, yes, but haven't activated it yet; I suppose that's why it doesn't show up on the third party applications screen), BlackBerry maps, the best device and media card data security available, a browser, and a terrific organizer. I think your dumb phone characterization is exaggerated just a bit ...
    Last edited by T�nis; 07-28-11 at 03:52 PM.
    07-28-11 03:25 PM

If you swap over from another device, the BB DM software does it for you.
    See... the problem is, that didn't work for me. At all. So.... BBID will probably be even less complicated.
    07-28-11 03:35 PM
    actually yes many dumbphones can do most of those things. **** my razor has navigation on par with BB!
    07-28-11 03:37 PM
    actually yes many dumbphones can do most of those things. **** my razor has navigation on par with BB!
    That depends on your definition of "dumb", I'd say that few dumb phones can do social networking at all. But there us a class of semi-smart phones or "texting phones" that come preloaded with a few "apps" that are hard coded, but function well. You can't upgrade these phones but if you are ok with what they have they do what they advertise. I'd put the Razor in this category.

CS
    07-28-11 03:47 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD