I think an interesting question, that Alex Thurber didn't really answer, is that if BlackBerry itself is having major difficulties to profitably sell BB devices, how should any other company manage that? Especially if they will have to pay additional licensing fees.
    Yeah. It's such an obvious question, and one that has been asked here several times, that you'd think they'd have a prepared answer.

Maybe the fact that he avoided the question shows that there isn't an answer?

FWIW, I believe what he said about a PKB phone is probably true, but I share the general doubts about profitability.

John Chen said in the ER that the Indonesian licensee was interested in bringing out an Android phone. He also mentioned, in passing, that BB would cease all internal hardware by the end of fiscal year 2017 (which is March IIRC?).

Thurber says a phone with a BB PKB is coming within 6 months.

Put those two statements together and I think it likely that the Indonesian phone will be a PKB'd Android unit.

I could speculate further... I doubt that BB will ever (themselves) put the Mercury into production in the few months they have left in Hardware. It wouldn't make any sense, to spend $$$$$ on production of the Mercury, release it, and then pull down the shutters. But the Mercury design is done according to Chen, and a prototype (literally one according to Chen) exists.

BB might choose to give the Mercury design to the licensee as a sweetener and let them take all the risk of production and sales. The licensee wouldn't then have to pay to design a phone, and might be prepared to take more risk of taking a loss because of that.

I still think it's unlikely that the Mercury is coming, even if only to Indonesia, but it's a crazy world and I do wonder if it might!
    10-07-16 07:53 AM
    Yeah. It's such an obvious question, and one that has been asked here several times, that you'd think they'd have a prepared answer.

Maybe the fact that he avoided the question shows that there isn't an answer?

FWIW, I believe what he said about a PKB phone is probably true, but I share the general doubts about profitability.

John Chen said in the ER that the Indonesian licensee was interested in bringing out an Android phone. He also mentioned, in passing, that BB would cease all internal hardware by the end of fiscal year 2017 (which is March IIRC?).

Thurber says a phone with a BB PKB is coming within 6 months.

Put those two statements together and I think it likely that the Indonesian phone will be a PKB'd Android unit.

I could speculate further... I doubt that BB will ever (themselves) put the Mercury into production in the few months they have left in Hardware. It wouldn't make any sense, to spend $$$$$ on production of the Mercury, release it, and then pull down the shutters. But the Mercury design is done according to Chen, and a prototype (literally one according to Chen) exists.

BB might choose to give the Mercury design to the licensee as a sweetener and let them take all the risk of production and sales. The licensee wouldn't then have to pay to design a phone, and might be prepared to take more risk of taking a loss because of that.

I still think it's unlikely that the Mercury is coming, even if only to Indonesia, but it's a crazy world and I do wonder if it might!
    You overthink too much. It is coming chill out have a sangria and enjoy .

Mercury is designed by BlackBerry and it is coming. They might have kept the production numbers small. Nothing more. Internal hardware development will be ceased. But licensees and stuff will continue. Head of BlackBerry clearly stated, why try to dig more.

Moreover, if this pkb makes ground somewhat (miraculously) big names like Foxconn and such might be interested. Plus, huawei, ZTE or lenovo might try to license pkb just for the sake of variation in inventory. Those firms are able to compensate the loss by trying a new device. Don't think in house manufacturing costs same for Foxconn and BlackBerry. By the way with nil marketing BlackBerry won't sell even it is the best phone across the universe. But these are all speculations of course.

The Mercury will arrive in 6 months. Alex Thurber clearly said it. People say they held the prototypes, don't know how he could make it clearer.
    Last edited by ardakca; 10-07-16 at 09:25 AM.
    10-07-16 08:55 AM
    Comments made in September 2016, then 6 months would be February 2017 which is fiscal year end per Chen, correct? Would make sense in that scenario in my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 07:03 PM
    As much as I would like to I just can't take Thurber seriously. How many months ago was it that he said 10.3.3 was 'weeks' away? As someone on these boards aptly put, he is a king without a kingdom.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-08-16 09:53 AM
29 12