Research in Motion: Did PlayBook R&D jeopardize its superphones? | ZDNet

Excerpts from article:

"We believe RIM has now squandered nearly every opportunity and competitive advantage it enjoyed through ineffective R&D resource management, delayed product launches and misreads of the competitive environment. With the 9900 launch now likely pushed out til Sept, the remaining BB7 phones now likely just launching in Oct/Nov, and new Playbook models on the way, we believe RIM may have run out of R&D capacity to launch its QNX handset in the CQ1/ FQ4 timeframe it was shooting for."

"Our latest round of channel checks across North America continue to indicate that RIM is losing market share. Relative to three months ago, the market has become more competitive, with pressure from Android (now including several LTE devices) and continued strength from Apple spreading to Verizon. As a result, RIM did not have a smartphone in the top three position at any of the four major North American operators. Additionally, during the quarter RIM saw significant price cuts at AT&T and Sprint.

Across the board, our checks continue to indicate that sales reps are de-emphasizing the sale of RIM devices, and there is an increasing perception of the brand becoming an e-mail-only device designed for the business user."
    06-15-11 10:59 AM
    Yup, already posted.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/ear...itical-623339/

Perhaps mods can consolidate threads?
    06-15-11 11:04 AM
    Sorry about that...............when I created the post no "warning" popped up telling me it was already posted.
    06-15-11 11:26 AM
    Sorry about that...............when I created the post no "warning" popped up telling me it was already posted.
    I know! Same thing happens to me!!!! sometimes the search thingie doesn't work very well....
    06-15-11 11:58 AM
    I doubt they will be Oct / Nov. The set back appears go be software related. So if the 9900 will be released in late Aug / early Sept then i expect other devices to follow suit......unless production will not allow them to manufacture enough so they need to push back.
    06-15-11 12:22 PM
    RIM would be wise to have any new line have QNX and leading edge features.

Delay if they must, but they MUST do it right and make sure it is affective.

They can not release another product like they did the PB and "patch" it along.

Tim
    06-15-11 03:09 PM
    You forgot sept! I added that to your title, are you trying to make it sound worse than it is? Also this is just ONE article, it's NOT fact, and no release date was ever stated anyways, so how can it be pushed back?

Anyways, the sky is NOT falling!
    06-15-11 03:54 PM
    Just another thread among the many. When are the trolls going to stop?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 09:36 PM

How is that trolling? You have a user base that is frustrated, and hearing about delays after delays. I just switched to the Droid Charge phone from a Storm 1, and the battery life sucks beyond belief. I would switch to a Storm 2 I could find one cheap and hold on for the new Blackberry's.

I will admit, the Charge is nice, but there are things that the BB does much better, and some things on that phone dont make sense. I will probable take the phone back, do a wipe on my phone and hold on for the new BB's
    06-15-11 09:48 PM
    I'd hoped the two threads citing the same article could be consolidated, since they're both using the same source, meaning the same article.
    06-16-11 03:18 AM
    With deals like this I might give it a miss for a while, I'm waiting for vodafone uk to bring a similar deal.
    06-16-11 03:37 AM
    I'd hoped the two threads citing the same article could be consolidated, since they're both using the same source, meaning the same article.
    That's a hint from the lack of the search feature being used.

06-16-11 04:27 AM

And this is why you can't write anything except positives for RIM. The diehards have their trolling gear on, ready to take on any criticism.
    06-16-11 06:47 AM
    Yup, already posted.

Perhaps mods can consolidate threads?
    Yea, sorry I missed that, AND merging often results in unexpected BAD things, unless you do it REAL early in both threads. What I will do instead is close this negatively spun/titled thread, and direct traffic to the other thread.

06-16-11 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD