So you honestly believe it will be just the exact same phone again?

#believeinfilm
    Most likely

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:45 AM

#believeinfilm
    Yes, and I'd be mildly surprised if it was the Bold 9900. More cost effective Bolds came after.
    03-28-14 11:47 AM
    Yes, and I'd be mildly surprised if it was the Bold 9900. More cost effective Bolds came after.
    That will be disappointing, but after the 9720 screw up I wouldn't be surprised.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:55 AM
    That will be disappointing, but after the 9720 screw up I wouldn't be surprised.

#believeinfilm
    Yeah, the 9900 is the most recent NICE Bold. The true Bold died after that IMO.
    Raddin and Joe Clean like this.
    03-28-14 12:00 PM
    The 9790 is lovely too, I tried to swap my iphone 5 32gb for my wife's 9790 but she was having none of it lol.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 12:05 PM
    JC is not giving people a reason to leave the legacy phone for the BB10 phone.
    Is JC also living in a self made bubble? Starting to look that way.
    I think people are being leaping to conclusions for a guy that's been in office a grand total of two quarters. ;-) I can't think of any CEO in history that could turn BlackBerry around the way people want it to be turned around in the the time they want it. it's going to be bumpy. He's probably got 6 more quarters in his plan.

The way I see it, he really has two things he needs to do.

#1 he has to keep BlackBerry alive in the short term. End of story. His predecessor rattled the confidence of customers with the BlackBerry 10 launch, laying off 10,000 people and then throwing the for sale sign up. Heck, my last company (an ardent BlackBerry shop) started looking at deploying iPhones more broadly because they had fears of long term viability.

#2 is that he has to come up with a distinctive competence for BlackBerry that will make the world want to do business with it in a meaningful way that allows it to thrive and grow. It's going to be evolutionary and without #1, there is no #2.
    03-28-14 12:10 PM
    I agree completely... how long can BlackBerry survive on 2.3 million legacy device sales and 1.1 million OS 10 sales anyway? My guess is that it can't be very long...
    See annual reports for Fiscal years 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 etc

The run rate isn't the problem in and of itself. They were on top of the world and cheering, "we shipped 5 million devices" the year before the iPhone came out. They were the darlings of Wall Street.

It's the downward trend in revenues vs. the number in an of itself.
    03-28-14 12:14 PM

#believeinfilm
    Yes. If they released a different one it would have to go through FIPS, and carrier certifications. Making the same phone they have to do none of that.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 12:16 PM
    Yes. If they released a different one it would have to go through FIPS, and carrier certifications. Making the same phone they have to do none of that.

Posted via CB10
    This is confusing, didn't Z30, Q10/Q5 get FIPS based on Z10 or even PlayBook existing certification?

I'm sure they can make some improvements without loosing the certification, after all, it's the same OS as the old 9900.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 12:20 PM
    I think that this is aimed at enterprise, not consumers. I also think that bis data compression plays a big role. I upgraded from my storm2 to my z10, and lost my unlimited data. I didn't think it would be a big deal because I never once went over 2g on my storm. Now I burn through it like nothing. If had had known then what I know now I would have bought my z10 outright and kept my unlimited data. Now imagine a big company with several hundreds of phones. Data charges are going to mount up quickly. BlackBerry, bring back data compression! Please!

Posted via CB10
    I second that!
    03-28-14 12:31 PM
    The more significant issue is whether or not they'll be updating the OS or just slamming out BB7.1 devices... is there a 7.2, 7.3, etc., in the pipeline?
    Thor got rid of all of the BBOS engineers and devs more than 6 months ago, so I wouldn't bet on any BBOS updates or new hardware.
    JeepBB, richardat and Bbnivende like this.
    03-28-14 12:49 PM
    This is a very good move if they will be anything like the 9900/9930. These phones are still very much sought after....
    03-28-14 01:35 PM
    This is confusing, didn't Z30, Q10/Q5 get FIPS based on Z10 or even PlayBook existing certification?

I'm sure they can make some improvements without loosing the certification, after all, it's the same OS as the old 9900.

#believeinfilm
    That's because of the way the approval is given, and with QNX the certification is based off generic hardware with a specific Crypto Kernel and Neutrino Version number. The way BBOS devices are certified, and the way the OS works, they have to certify the hardware and software. Same reason iOS was approved for iPhone 4 and 4s for some time, but not the 5.

I know you aren't a Bb10 fan, but the way they did the crypto on the device was genious and why they can release any device with an ARMV7 processor and BB10 and it is instantly FIPS approved.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-28-14 01:35 PM
    No, the small market is BB7 as it is, the bigger picture is BB10, and the potential it has to compete with the other giants and appeal to a bigger crowd. BB7 has 0 potential and 0 chance against today's world, that lemon has already been squeezed to its fullest.
    The problem is that BB10 doesn't have potential to compete against giants. Ignore the actual features of the OS for a second.

Consider the large and growing number of mobile carriers as well as other retailers discontinuing sales of BB10 devices due to poor sales. Now consider the number of mobile carriers and retailers that still carry BB OS7, many of the same ones that have shunned BB10. Based on the number of retail channels, between BB OS7 and BB10, a new BB OS7 device has much more potential to sell in volume than BB10, at the moment.

BB10 is much like a number of failed tech products, such as the Kin. The difference between it and the Kin is that while the world has moved on from BB10, Blackberry refuses to move on from BB10. BB10's sales potential is the lemon that does not have much juice left to squeeze. While >90% of the developed refuse to sell/buy BB10, Blackberry is still looking to squeeze the last opportunities for potential in developing markets.

BB OS7 has the userbase, retail channels, and sales volume. BB10 has a more modern OS. From a pragmatic standpoint, BB OS7 does not necessarily have less potential than BB10. The problem is that a new BB OS7 doesn't have the potential to keep Blackberry afloat either and so Blackberry is in quite a conundrum. Blackberry lacks a product with significant sales potential.
    Raddin, richardat, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    03-28-14 01:39 PM
    No, the small market is BB7 as it is, the bigger picture is BB10, and the potential it has to compete with the other giants and appeal to a bigger crowd. BB7 has 0 potential and 0 chance against today's world, that lemon has already been squeezed to its fullest.

Go big or stay niche, that's it. People (except for you) don't want BB7, that's why they built a new platform, remember? You can't be too blind to deny that one.

I do agree, that if the 9900 sells, and profits outweigh production costs, then make some more batches. But don't waste time and resources on a new device.

However, If BlackBerry's goal is to stay in third or fourth, then I'm completely cool with the idea of new phones.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    The only thing "big" about BlackBerry 10 is the amount of money and resources it has wasted for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has yet to make a single cent of profit off of their new platform. Think about that for a moment.

I don't want legacy devices, but it is appearnt that the amount of people willing to buy a legacy device far out weights the amount of people willing to buy a BB10 device. It don't matter why that is, all that matters is that is the case.

Quarter after quarter and that resource drain named BB10 hasn't once even came close to matching the sales of devices you yourself claim that no one wants. Kinda strange isn't it?

BlackBerry should look ahead though, on their current path, the grave lies ahead. Chen will prolong the invadable long enough to get his bonus and then they will close up shop.

Sad thing is, the damage is already done and it is probably to late to make a hardware comeback. They should have NEVER been so foolishly arrogant to believe that they stood a chance of surving on their own and should have went to Android instead of buying QNX and making a new platform.

Say what you will about Android, but honestly, how much worse could it have sold compared to BB10?

I'm trying hard right now to think of a single Android manufacture that moves less devices than the legacy devices and I really can't. Even Fuhu outsells the legacy devices.
    03-28-14 01:46 PM
    If they can make one similar to the 9790 with a bigger battery I would buy it.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 02:34 PM
    Holy smokes, I just read that article on n4bb as well. I noticed the use of plurals scattered throughout the article, could there be more than one? I'm stunned they are even considering doing this but also not disappointed

I'm sorry, I could definitely see the appeal (speaking strictly as a BB loyalist who loved BBOS) of a slightly tweaked and updated OS7 powered by a dual or even quad core cpu. Take the 9930, simply increase it's size just a bit, and I would probably end up with one. Just maybe update that browser a little.
    03-28-14 03:08 PM
    The only thing "big" about BlackBerry 10 is the amount of money and resources it has wasted for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has yet to make a single cent of profit off of their new platform. Think about that for a moment.

I don't want legacy devices, but it is appearnt that the amount of people willing to buy a legacy device far out weights the amount of people willing to buy a BB10 device. It don't matter why that is, all that matters is that is the case.

Quarter after quarter and that resource drain named BB10 hasn't once even came close to matching the sales of devices you yourself claim that no one wants. Kinda strange isn't it?

BlackBerry should look ahead though, on their current path, the grave lies ahead. Chen will prolong the invadable long enough to get his bonus and then they will close up shop.

Sad thing is, the damage is already done and it is probably to late to make a hardware comeback. They should have NEVER been so foolishly arrogant to believe that they stood a chance of surving on their own and should have went to Android instead of buying QNX and making a new platform.

Say what you will about Android, but honestly, how much worse could it have sold compared to BB10?

I'm trying hard right now to think of a single Android manufacture that moves less devices than the legacy devices and I really can't. Even Fuhu outsells the legacy devices.
    To reply to your points:
    - Its a major shift from bbos which was not doing it to something new. Even going android would be a huge cost.

- The same can be said about bbm should they abandon that too? If you ever used bb10 you know the potential is limitless especially when ios can not keep up in its current from. It needs reworking in a few years time. QNX is scalable and if they get deeply embedded into internet of things (yet to be seen) they may give themselves a nice advantage.

- The reason is always important in business, and this is because:1. Companies are not upgrading quick enough and need more stock. 2. BIS is a great feature for developing countries.

- I agree with you here. I think bb10 was released early and without proper marketing. Super bowl and alicia keys fiasco were wastes as well. Also what's with the pricing, they need to get this right. I think with a few software updates and a little more marketing they will easily double bbos sales. Iphone popularity is fading slighty.

- That remains to be seen. I give him 50/50 chance at the moment. Why don't you short the stock try and earn a few $?

- It was arrogant, but don't see any other choice. 1. QNX offers them cash flow every month (bought them cheap enough) with an entry to many many new markets.
    2. It offers them a secure base for BB10 and MDM technologies. The BES market still makes a lot of $ off for them. Android has no chance of ever being secure like that or to be used on the network side(cisco utilises QNX for some devices)
    3. Bb10 differentiates them too many players doing android. Many android players will slowly slide to bankruptcy if they don't diversity themselves into other markets since phone sales will go towards low margins like pc market.
    4. QNX approached BlackBerry.. there's articles out there about this.
    5. Google controls android, much better to be in control of your own destiny.

- Android would have sold more to consumers no questions.. initially. I think once bb10 matures and it catches on (remember how long it took Microsoft to get Win7, 7.5 and now 8 to get any traction) it will sell more than android bb ever could because it's different and could have that cool factor (marketing dependant). Also talk about alienating your user base with bb10, they would have lost almost all BES customers as well going android.

Just remember device sales isint the only way for BlackBerry to make $ like many many other android players that move more units than bb.

Time changes everything. Keel enough cash to stay alive keep innovating faster than competitors and the market will correct itself. Remember first BlackBerry then Iphone then Samsung then....

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 03:58 PM
    I don't know, just thinking out loud...the EXACT 9900 form factor with the "tool belt", updated processor and internals running BB10, through NOC using BIS/BES. I know that I will probably get razzed, but wouldn't this make sense for both Corporate users and the BlackBerry faithful consumer users?
    03-28-14 05:35 PM
    What a nightmare the Bold is. Mine used to jam up and freeze all the time.

BB7 needs to be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely not!

I have two BB9900s, for business and personal, bought in 2013 after having a good long look at BB10.

Absolutely the best communication device, ever.
    I do not use or need 'apps', because is it a communication tool and not an internet toy.

The BB9900 has very nice features that are missing in BB10 due to Blackberry's attempt to completely break with the past.

On its own, BB10 is not a bad OS, but none of the current phones are as good as the BB9900 for people whose primary interest is communication and not apps.
    03-28-14 06:05 PM
    Thor got rid of all of the BBOS engineers and devs more than 6 months ago
    That's not true. A lot of them were deployed on other projects. :-)

I doubt we'll see hardware either though. Doubt will see anything more than security updates to the OS or perhaps new versions of a few specific BlackBerry apps for the platform.
    03-28-14 06:23 PM
    To reply to your points:

- Android would have sold more to consumers no questions.. initially. I think once bb10 matures and it catches on (remember how long it took Microsoft to get Win7, 7.5 and now 8 to get any traction) it will sell more than android bb ever could because it's different and could have that cool factor (marketing dependant). Also talk about alienating your user base with bb10, they would have lost almost all BES customers as well going android.

Just remember device sales isint the only way for BlackBerry to make $ like many many other android players that move more units than bb.

Time changes everything. Keel enough cash to stay alive keep innovating faster than competitors and the market will correct itself. Remember first BlackBerry then Iphone then Samsung then....

Posted via CB10
    I think this is going to be a hard pill to swallow for many people here on Crackberry...quite frankly BB10 has already failed. It isn't going to catch on nor will it ever overtake (or even come close to) the commercial success of Android and iOS. That ship has sailed and BBRY must now decide where it's future will be which will likely be to exit the hardware business and go full in with software services.

Continuing production of the 9900 is simply delaying the inevitable.
    richardat and Drew808 like this.
    03-28-14 08:09 PM
    I love my Bold 9900, until today I still need it since there are apps which made only for BB OS 7.

FYI, here's what John Chen said during Q4 earning call (via The Verge):

The Bold runs BlackBerry 7 and is the quintessential BlackBerry smartphone — it has a great keyboard and strong messaging features, but is weak for browsing the web, using apps, or taking photos, things many people do with their smartphones today. Thanks to a new manufacturing partner, Chen says this run of the Bold will actually be sold at a profit, whereas it was a loss leader when it was initially brought to market. He didn't say where the Bold will be sold, but it's likely that BlackBerry will sell it in the same emerging markets that its been selling other BlackBerry 7 devices.

The reintroduction of the Bold is based purely on customer demand, claims Chen. "Our customers still love the BB OS device, particularly BB7 devices," he said. "We’ll continue to make these devices available and support the operating system as long as there is customer demand."
    03-28-14 08:13 PM
    They just gonna put a Bold shell over Q10 to fool the stubborn users that do not like changes!!
    03-28-14 09:08 PM
    How can a company move forward living in the past? Sure os7 is making the bread and butter but at some point you have to let it die.

Your not innovating, living in the past!
    Intel did, enough said
    03-28-14 09:24 PM
190 12345 ...