Consider the large and growing number of mobile carriers as well as other retailers discontinuing sales of BB10 devices due to poor sales. Now consider the number of mobile carriers and retailers that still carry BB OS7
    You're really reaching...

Take a listen to the earnings call where they talk about channel investment. It's telling

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:45 PM
    Yayyyy! Black clocks, battery pulls, and four year old specs forever!

Just kidding! Not forever. Just until these OS7 people get fed up with those shortcomings and have a sour taste in their mouth from BlackBerry, and eventually move on to iPhones and Androids, where copying and pasting and everything else is nothing like their OS7 phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:24 AM
    Absolutely not!

I have two BB9900s, for business and personal, bought in 2013 after having a good long look at BB10.

Absolutely the best communication device, ever.
    I do not use or need 'apps', because is it a communication tool and not an internet toy.

The BB9900 has very nice features that are missing in BB10 due to Blackberry's attempt to completely break with the past.

On its own, BB10 is not a bad OS, but none of the current phones are as good as the BB9900 for people whose primary interest is communication and not apps.
    Understanding that everyone has different needs and uses for their mobile phone, I do believe you are in the minority. When you say that BB is for "communication" and not for apps and is not an Internet toy, the communications you are refering to (email, sms) are dying forms of communication. The future is in Internet based communications a la Whats App, Twitter, ect. It makes sense for a company to put its effort behind them and away from email, sms. Sure they work, but they will be passed and forgotten over time.

Personally, I think the move back to selling OS7 and Bolds is a short sighted strategy. Unfortunately, BB is in a place where they have to take what they can get.
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 03-29-14 at 08:28 AM.
    kbz1960 and Bbnivende like this.
    03-29-14 03:20 AM
    Hence I said was making their bread and butter. You can't turn a company around on the dinosaur os.

BB10 was a waste to develope and continues to bomb in sales..
    You DID mean BB7 was a waste to continue, not BB10, right? If not, your "cant progress with a dinosaur OS" goes right out the window, as BB10 is a modern OS they are trying to develop and push so that BB can move forward into the future... Cheers
    03-29-14 03:26 AM
    You DID mean BB7 was a waste to continue, not BB10, right? If not, your "cant progress with a dinosaur OS" goes right out the window, as BB10 is a modern OS they are trying to develop and push so that BB can move forward into the future... Cheers
    Think how much it cost to produce BB10 starting with purchasing QNX.

Now look how many sold.

Where do you draw the line?

At 500000 a quarter? 250000? 1000?

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 04:01 AM
    Understanding that everyone has different needs and uses for their mobile phone, i do believe you are in the minority. When you say that BB is for "communication" and not for apps or an Internet toy, the communications you are referinf to (email, sms) are dying forms of communication. The future is in Internet based communications a la Whats App, Twitter, ect. It makes sense for a company to put its effort behind them and away from email, sms. Sure they work, but will be passed and forgotten over time.

Personally, i think the move back to selling OS7 and Bolds is a short sighted strategy. Unfortunately, BB is in a place where they have to take what they can get.
    As you say, different needs .....
    In my work and personal worlds, I do not see any signs of email and SMS dying, but I agree that other forms of messaging are more important for many people.

What this tells us is that there is a place for both OS7 and BB10 devices, which Blackberry have finally accepted.
    It would be somewhat bizzare for a manufacturer to not produce a product for which there is an obvious demand.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    03-29-14 04:24 AM
    This announcement borders on the edge of a Twilight Zone episode with Rod Sterling. BlackBerry could implement a user configurable option to enable data compression and thereby cause data traffic to route through the BlackBerry NOC. Otherwise the current standard non-compressed data traffic without routing through the BlackBerry NOC. No need to keep building BlackBerry 7 smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 04:58 AM
    BBOS 7.1 is very complete and mature enterprise OS. It still has its place in the workplace. BB10 in its current form is too radical a departure for corporate users who don't like massive change because in that environment such change is highly stressful, disruptive and counter-productive. BlackBerry aimed for the mass consumer with BB10 but in the end pleased no one except the hardcore blackberry loyalist. John Chen is right to restart Bold production. BB10 (with its smartphones) is just not ready for enterprise. Maybe the Q20 with 10.3 will be an enterprise hit that Blackberry so sorely needs. Until then the BlackBerry Bold will have to do its part to stem the financial bleeding and John Chen will do whatever is necessary to bring cash to Blackberry. The corporate customer is always right and must be listened to.
    KDB84, WES51 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    03-29-14 05:24 AM
    Better to aim at the small BlackBerry 7 market than at the even smaller BlackBerry 10 market. Honest question, if you consider BlackBerry 7 a "small" market, what sort of market is BlackBerry 10? Tiny?

It might be time for BlackBerry to consider cutting their losses on the failure that is BlackBerry 10.
    Probably... But it would kill any illusion that they can stay in phones. If z3 fails - I think there will be no choice, but to do something like that. It would essentially announce - we are some kind of software or services company now.., and then .,. They'd have to fund revenue even faster - though time is already short.
    Raddin likes this.
    03-29-14 05:25 AM
    I think this is going to be a hard pill to swallow for many people here on Crackberry...quite frankly BB10 has already failed. It isn't going to catch on nor will it ever overtake (or even come close to) the commercial success of Android and iOS. That ship has sailed and BBRY must now decide where it's future will be which will likely be to exit the hardware business and go full in with software services.

Continuing production of the 9900 is simply delaying the inevitable.
    I'm glad to see more people understanding
    This reality, and speaking about it realisticslly. Been saying for a long time, it was doomed from launch (no... It wasn't the marketing lol)... And it will never ever gain traction. It couldn't gain traction early when it had SOME developer support and good carrier support, now it has none from either.

If they wanted to stay in the game bb11 would have to be weeks away from launch. That's what MS would have b been doing were they in that same state. That's one thing of very few positives I could say about ms - they know tech doesn't stand still, and when a product fails, you have to keep up with competitors and hope for better the next cycle. You certainly can't stay with your old product and somehow hope it magically does way better against the new generation of competition! People here so profoundly misunderstand tech.

If there is money to be made with legacy they might as well do it - some of us said before that maybe a small company could do well milking the legacy market in developing nations dry! Its a dead end for sure but might as well....
    Drew808 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    03-29-14 05:46 AM
    BBOS 7.1 is very complete and mature enterprise OS. It still has its place in the workplace. BB10 in its current form is too radical a departure for corporate users who don't like massive change because in that environment such change is highly stressful, disruptive and counter-productive. BlackBerry aimed for the mass consumer with BB10 but in the end pleased no one except the hardcore blackberry loyalist. John Chen is right to restart Bold production. BB10 (with its smartphones) is just not ready for enterprise. Maybe the Q20 with 10.3 will be an enterprise hit that Blackberry so sorely needs. Until then the BlackBerry Bold will have to do its part to stem the financial bleeding and John Chen will do whatever is necessary to bring cash to Blackberry. The corporate customer is always right and must be listened to.
    Just like when people are offered BYOD? The first thing they do is throw their bb on the ground and stomp on it and ask where their iPhone is?
    03-29-14 07:45 AM
    Just like when people are offered BYOD? The first thing they do is throw their bb on the ground and stomp on it and ask where their iPhone is?
    Really? You do realise BOYD means they're buying their own device, they don't ask "where's my iPhone", they go and buy one.

Their previous locked down BB was provided and paid for by the employer.

#believeinfilm
    03-29-14 08:29 AM
    Think how much it cost to produce BB10 starting with purchasing QNX.

Now look how many sold.

Where do you draw the line?

At 500000 a quarter? 250000? 1000?

#believeinfilm
    Hindsight is always 20/20.
    WES51 likes this.
    03-29-14 08:34 AM
    Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Maybe it is but some of us have predicted this outcome from the very beginning. But the biggest BB fans were ignored and traded for the imaginary customers they never got.

#believeinfilm
    LuisCast, WES51, ekv and 1 others like this.
    03-29-14 08:40 AM
    Maybe it is but some of us have predicted this outcome from the very beginning. But the biggest BB fans were ignored and traded for the imaginary customers they never got.

#believeinfilm
    You are not being listened to. You want new better BB7 devices and nothing I have read or heard says that is happening. They are just building more because they need to replenish their inventory.

All BlackBerry fans have been ignored. All of their new phones are too expensive. The Q phone should have had a 3.5 inch screen. They should have made the Z10 with a bigger battery and the Z30 should have been 1080P.

Right now they should be retrofitting the Z10 a bigger battery and selling multicolored versions at a break even price. Base their advertising on price and a new 2 year warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-29-14 10:07 AM
    The fact that BB has resorted to do another production run of the old devices should be a stark reminder to even the most stalwart BB fan what an incredible cluster**** the whole BB10 fiasco has been. Don't get me wrong. There's potential in BB10. It's just not a very mature system. It's getting better with every upgrade.
    But I've had this issue from day1.... I would expect my new device to do at least everything my old one did. And more. Whether I swipe a screen or hit a back button or menu button isn't a huge issue for me. Missing the trackpad was a huge issue for me!!
    The biggest thing I think where BB failed- they needed to give consumers a compelling reason to switch devices. Early adopters were the most ardent supporters of BB. And they needed work arounds to make their device function to match some if the functionality of old BB devices, and worse, competing devices.
    So now you have a consumer base that believe, rightly or wrongly, that if they buy a BB, they won't be able to get their favourite app or functionality should they get a BB10 device.
    BlackBerry, in a word, built an Edsel.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    LuisCast and JeepBB like this.
    03-29-14 10:08 AM
    I think that this is aimed at enterprise, not consumers. I also think that bis data compression plays a big role. I upgraded from my storm2 to my z10, and lost my unlimited data. I didn't think it would be a big deal because I never once went over 2g on my storm. Now I burn through it like nothing. If had had known then what I know now I would have bought my z10 outright and kept my unlimited data. Now imagine a big company with several hundreds of phones. Data charges are going to mount up quickly. BlackBerry, bring back data compression! Please!

Posted via CB10
    I think you were right then first time. It's enterprises buying the 9900. It has nothing todo with BIS.

BIS is will gone from North America and Europe in a few years. It may last longer in other markets but the BB7 market will hang on to sever enterprises. BYOD is going to reduce that market though.
    03-29-14 12:34 PM
    All BlackBerry fans have been ignored.
    Are you speaking on behalf of us all?

All of their new phones are too expensive. The Q phone should have had a 3.5 inch screen. They should have made the Z10 with a bigger battery and the Z30 should have been 1080P.

Right now they should be retrofitting the Z10 a bigger battery and selling multicolored versions at a break even price. Base their advertising on price and a new 2 year warranty.
    This would be a really good conversation for the "armchair ceo" forum
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-29-14 at 12:58 PM.
    03-29-14 12:41 PM
    From my understanding BB will continue the production of a Bold (idk which) for 2 reasons: A contract w/ the manufacturer that has not yet expired, and a demand for legacy OS7 devices. I recently heard news that BlackBerry News for OS7 is being shut down??? has anyone else heard this? I really hope this is a false and nasty rumor. If Chen and BB want to keep their current OS7 customers and clients, application support withdrawal and a decline of software support is not the way to go. I am really hoping with all fingers crossed that the continued production of the Bold will encourage BB to continue active software updates for OS7
    03-29-14 12:47 PM
    +1 agreed and I would not even say it so mildly.

The people who came up with OS10 were simply ignorant of their customer base.

They thought they were the next Steve Jobs, but turned out to be some weak and disoriented dreamers. They never understood the fundamental strength of Blackberry to begin with and consequently they did not have what it takes to correctly position Blackberry for the future.
    03-29-14 01:15 PM

#believeinfilm
    Sad but true :/

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    03-29-14 02:07 PM
    OK not all fans have been ignored. There are some owners who wanted a small BB10 device and most wanted bigger batteries.
    03-29-14 02:20 PM
    The reason that BB10 has failed is the same reason the PlayBook failed. It was released with a half baked OS compared to where it is now, had no apps, was not compatible with existing BES servers, and had the most disgusting, pathetic marketing effort associated with it. The people who think BBOS is superior are a small, shrinking but vocal niche. Instead of keeping BBOS alive they should have out the effort into getting a unified BES out, and finding out what non-BIS features are keeping people from upgrading. They should create a central, non-carrier hosted BIS, and charge users $5 per month or more directly to use it. No more pick pocketing the carriers and make the user bear the burden of they want it so bad.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 05:15 PM
    Bolds 9900 are the biggest part of the market. Companies buy them by the dozen.
    Phone wise they're the equivalent of the company car.
    03-29-14 05:18 PM
    How many are they producing?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 05:25 PM
190 ... 23456 ...