JC is not giving people a reason to leave the legacy phone for the BB10 phone.

So until a few"trade to BB10 phones" hit the market legacy will rule.

To think the keyboard is the answer is Mike'ish at best. Yes, it will pull some legacy folks in. Yes it will pull a few flat screen folk in. But it will not a attract Droid or IPhone users and that is what they need to do with BYOD taking the Enterprise world by storm.

Is JC also living in a self made bubble? Starting to look that way.

Posted via Verizon Z10 - OS v10.1.2.2174
    Last edited by trsbbs; 03-28-14 at 10:41 AM.
    03-28-14 09:13 AM
    JC is not giving people a reason to leave the legacy phone for the BB10 phone.

So until a few"trade to BB10 phones" hit the market legacy will rule.

To think the keyboard is the answer is Mike'ish at best. Yes, it will pull some legacy folks in. Yes it will pull a few flat screen folk in. But it will not a attract Droid or IPhone users and that is what they need to do with BYOD taking the Enterprise world buy storm.

Is JC also living in a self made bubble? Starting to look that way.

People are now too deep into ecosystems, they won't leave, the only hope is to get the new users before they get locked in, every year there's a new generation of to be smartphone users, that's the ones they need to target.

#believeinfilm
    bbq10l and Droidophobe like this.
    03-28-14 09:15 AM
    I think that this is aimed at enterprise, not consumers. I also think that bis data compression plays a big role. I upgraded from my storm2 to my z10, and lost my unlimited data. I didn't think it would be a big deal because I never once went over 2g on my storm. Now I burn through it like nothing. If had had known then what I know now I would have bought my z10 outright and kept my unlimited data. Now imagine a big company with several hundreds of phones. Data charges are going to mount up quickly. BlackBerry, bring back data compression! Please!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:20 AM
    Better to aim at the small BlackBerry 7 market than at the even smaller BlackBerry 10 market. Honest question, if you consider BlackBerry 7 a "small" market, what sort of market is BlackBerry 10? Tiny?

It might be time for BlackBerry to consider cutting their losses on the failure that is BlackBerry 10.
    No, the small market is BB7 as it is, the bigger picture is BB10, and the potential it has to compete with the other giants and appeal to a bigger crowd. BB7 has 0 potential and 0 chance against today's world, that lemon has already been squeezed to its fullest.

Go big or stay niche, that's it. People (except for you) don't want BB7, that's why they built a new platform, remember? You can't be too blind to deny that one.

I do agree, that if the 9900 sells, and profits outweigh production costs, then make some more batches. But don't waste time and resources on a new device.

However, If BlackBerry's goal is to stay in third or fourth, then I'm completely cool with the idea of new phones.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    anon(5828343) and johnnyuk like this.
    03-28-14 09:39 AM
    People are now too deep into ecosystems, they won't leave, the only hope is to get the new users before they get locked in, every year there's a new generation of to be smartphone users, that's the ones they need to target.

#believeinfilm
    And none of them will choose an hour glass and zero apps over anything else. Why were bbos phone sales declining in the first place? Because people didn't like no popular apps and hour glasses. Unless they make massive changes to bbos they will sell no more tha. They do now, they will nit sell to any new phone buyer unless they the buyer us looking for cheap and don't care about things most people want in a smartphone.
    03-28-14 09:47 AM
    And none of them will choose an hour glass and zero apps over anything else. Why were bbos phone sales declining in the first place? Because people didn't like no popular apps and hour glasses. Unless they make massive changes to bbos they will sell no more tha. They do now, they will nit sell to any new phone buyer unless they the buyer us looking for cheap and don't care about things most people want in a smartphone.
    I beg to differ, 2.3 millions choose 3 year old BBOS devices last 3 months. By the way, what's wrong with looking for cheap? Some people gave different priorities.

#believeinfilm
    anon8091350 likes this.
    03-28-14 09:52 AM
    Interesting news... at some point they have to let BB7 fade away and completely focus on BlackBerry 10 development, devices, and sells. My guess is that this might be the last legacy device as most features are being incorporated into the new os as of the Q20...

Posted via CB10
    If they are continuing it even in this year, it won't die out. It's like BlackBerry are trying to use BB7 as their saving grace. I personally think its just the final nail to a potential coffin...
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    03-28-14 09:59 AM
    I beg to differ, 2.3 millions choose 3 year old BBOS devices last 3 months. By the way, what's wrong with looking for cheap? Some people gave different priorities.

#believeinfilm
    You said new people, anyone that doesn't already own a bbos phone and loves it won't be choosing one just like now. They haven't been for years. This is to try and keep people that fit "already own and use and love".
    Shadowyugi and extisis like this.
    03-28-14 10:00 AM
    One more thought on this....as someone has just posted that no one wants OS7 now...

If the Bold 9900 is re-released, my next choice of phone will be a decision between the 9900 and the now renamed Q20.
    And the Bold 9900 will probably win. My Z10 will become for home use, as more a tiny tablet, and my phone/communicator would be the Bold.
    anon8091350 and tagumcity like this.
    03-28-14 10:02 AM
    Because chen says he is going to revise the bold line doesn't mean going back to an older os. Why would they waste more money on scrapping a better os than? It may just be this phone with the track pad that he is referring to.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    03-28-14 10:04 AM
    One more thought on this....as someone has just posted that no one wants OS7 now...

If the Bold 9900 is re-released, my next choice of phone will be a decision between the 9900 and the now renamed Q20.
    And the Bold 9900 will probably win. My Z10 will become for home use, as more a tiny tablet, and my phone/communicator would be the Bold.
    You fit the "already own group. Not a new prospective customer.
    03-28-14 10:10 AM
    Posters on CB rarely look at BlackBerry on a world level. I suspect that the majority of BB7 sales are in the developing countries where they have been popular in the past and to enterprise users. BIS still sells phones in some markets and in the enterprise market these are replacement phones.

The 9900 needs a better camera and battery and a larger screen would be nice. Would a faster processor help? For myself I would not be buying an updated 9900 because of the browser. It is just too slow and lag prone for me and there would still be very few Apps.

BB badly needs a BIS all touch phone for the emerging markets more than they need another Bold IMHO.
    03-28-14 10:20 AM
    You fit the "already own group. Not a new prospective customer.
    When it comes to phone sales and revenue for Blackberry, it hardly matters whether one is an existing customer or a new one.

The sale of any new device is still a sale.
    03-28-14 10:38 AM
    I agree with folks wanting some sort of secure efficient BIS, but do not want to go back to not having NetFlix Etc. not working. They would have to solve that issue first.

I think we will see this happen in some form of BES Cloud.

03-28-14 10:40 AM
    What a nightmare the Bold is. Mine used to jam up and freeze all the time.

BB7 needs to be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:49 AM
    I agree with folks wanting some sort of secure efficient BIS, but do not want to go back to not having NetFlix Etc. not working. They would have to solve that issue first.

I think we will see this happen in some form of BES Cloud.

I have Netflix on my Laptop, on my Wii and on my boy's Xbox, that's enough for me. I still never use it and I share the cost with a friend lol.

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:01 AM
    When it comes to phone sales and revenue for Blackberry, it hardly matters whether one is an existing customer or a new one.

The sale of any new device is still a sale.
    Yes it does. If they add no new customers it is the same as now or worse. Lets hope they don't continue to lose customers.
    extisis likes this.
    03-28-14 11:03 AM
    Since there are many threads sprouting up I will reproduce my comment.

Background:

1. I listened to the entire call and QA.

2. My company as of a month ago was still buying the 9900 and have just recently approved the BB10 devices; all 3 as in Q and Z10 and Z30.

3. Every upgrade at my company has been to a bb10 device as they became available. Not ONE person has asked for the legacy device.

Facts:
    - They are restarting the bold 9900 line.
    - Buying on a cost variable model versus previously it was firm commitment. Chen specifically said they will not lose money on the hardware in this setup.
    The deal is with Wisteron(?) not Foxconn

My thoughts:

- enterprise wants bes 12 before moving to BB10 and so staying with 9900. Chen's comments lead me to believe this + experience in my company.
    - bulk of BB10 sales are consumer. Why? Announced enterprise #s are small and companies like mine are just starting to move to bb10. It took between BlackBerry and our IT department a year to test and roll out BES10. The reason we did it is because we were on an older bes then 5 and we were in a need of an upgrade. If we were on bes 5 we would have waited until Nov for bes 12 before going to bb10 devices.

- Chen has probably been hearing that the enterprise transition will likely begin in earnest once bes 12 is out. And he needs to keep his clients happy till then with device replacement when they break

- couple this with the good deal they have struck from a cost perspective for producing 9900 and it's a win win for BlackBerry

My conclusion is that until upcoming Q4 legacy will outsell bb10. Z3 and Q20 in consumer space will accelerate (how much is anyone's guess hoping for a lot)

And that Q1 is when the tide will turn decisively as bes 12 and bb10 accelerate.

G

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:05 AM
    I have Netflix on my Laptop, on tiny Wii and on my boy's Xbox, that's enough for me. I still never use it and I share the cost with a friend lol.

#believeinfilm
    I would have loved to have Netflix yesterday sitting in an airport for hours before my flight and then we had an additional 2 hour delay on the plane after were started to take off and shut down and went back to the terminal for a repair.
    03-28-14 11:06 AM
    I would have loved to have Netflix yesterday sitting in an airport for hours before my flight and then we had an additional 2 hour delay on the plane after were started to take off and shut down and went back to the terminal for a repair.
    I have my kindle ready in such cases.

#believeinfilm
    LuisCast likes this.
    03-28-14 11:07 AM
    I have my kindle ready in such cases.

#believeinfilm
    Different choices. I don't read much and was tired. I would have loved to watch a mindless show or movie to help the time pass.
    03-28-14 11:11 AM
    Different choices. I don't read much and was tired. I would have loved to watch a mindless show or movie to help the time pass.
    I also have no problem falling asleep lol, count to 5 and I'm gone

#believeinfilm
    LuisCast likes this.
    03-28-14 11:15 AM
    Yes I was I told you so (I'll be saying this for a week)

#believeinfilm
    I believe you said a new BBOS device.
    This is just starting up new production run of an existing device. It will be identical to the existing devices so they don't have to waste time or money on new certifications.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:35 AM
    I believe you said a new BBOS device.
    This is just starting up new production run of an existing device. It will be identical to the existing devices so they don't have to waste time or money on new certifications.

Posted via CB10
    So you honestly believe it will be just the exact same phone again?

#believeinfilm
    03-28-14 11:41 AM
    Whether it is a new BB7 model or starting up production of existing BB7 models, it doesn't really take away from the simple fact that continuing to rely on what was widely described by BBRY itself as a dying platform is bizarre.
    extisis and kbz1960 like this.
    03-28-14 11:43 AM
190 1234 ...