Fox News tech webstie article with 10 must have apps.
    10 must-have smartphone apps | Fox News

Pretty much all available to BB1O users except Skype...

Google Chrome is not needed with the awesome browser in BB10
    Google Maps....bb maps does just fine and plenty of 3rd party map apps to choose from
    Facebook and Youtube are present (not sure why twitter was not listed)
    Onavo extend...never heard of it...not sure I would trust them without more details
    Kindle is present
    Skype....needed for those who use it...
    Carbonite Mobile...not available but plenty of mobile/cloud back-ups available
    Angry Birds Star Wars & a flashlight app both available

BB10 does pretty awesome for being less than 6 months on the market...
    05-04-13 11:21 PM

Google Maps....bb maps does just fine and plenty of 3rd party map apps to choose from
    Onavo extend...never heard of it...not sure I would trust them without more details
    Kindle is present

Google Maps is head and shoulders above anything else except probably Nokia's offering, but it''s almost unfair to compare it to anything else. Google has had years to tweak it. BB maps is adequate for what it needs to do.

Chrome is a better all round browser, In my opinion, if you are looking at overall functionality and cloud syncability.
    robitaille93 likes this.
    05-04-13 11:27 PM

Kindle is present

Good post, only issue with this is that its from FOX
    05-04-13 11:28 PM
    I would love to see Chrome on BB, because I use it so much on Kindle and PC and being able to Sync pages between devices is great for browsing on the go.

The Kindle app can be sideloaded but it's a 3.2 version so u can't sync any of your personal docs. Its use will be limited until this app is upgraded to a 3.5 or over version and don't bother with spending the cash on the BB e-reader, it is a poor substitute for the Kindle app.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 03:33 PM
    All that said (just got the bubble issue please find a fix), BBQ10 is a great device, I have been on it for the last 3 days pretty much addicted.

Posted via CB10
    Dapper37 and j21jam6 like this.
    05-05-13 03:35 PM
    Google Maps is head and shoulders above anything else except probably Nokia's offering, but it''s almost unfair to compare it to anything else. Google has had years to tweak it. BB maps is adequate for what it needs to do.

Chrome is a better all round browser, In my opinion, if you are looking at overall functionality and cloud syncability.
    Google Maps couldn't find my house, but BB Maps did. If I put my address into Google Maps, the closest it comes is the property next door - and if I take the little man to our driveway, it's a completely different number and street name. Is this what you mean by "head and shoulders above anything else?'
    j21jam6 and potatoguy like this.
    05-05-13 04:13 PM
    Google Maps couldn't find my house, but BB Maps did. If I put my address into Google Maps, the closest it comes is the property next door - and if I take the little man to our driveway, it's a completely different number and street name. Is this what you mean by "head and shoulders above anything else?'
    Google Maps couldn't find my own house either. Thankfully, I don't believe finding my house is high on the list of deciding criteria most people (including myself) use for deciding the efficacy of handheld mapping solutions.

Google does fix mistakes like that fairly quickly, by the way -- inside of 60 days, too.

I think it has more features, and better data points. It's fine if you disagree, and even better that you found a solution that works for you. Choice is good.
    05-05-13 04:28 PM

Just an opinion. Google maps are wrong at times. I personally don't use it anymore because I never needed it. Chrome sucks.
    05-05-13 05:23 PM

Kindle is present

The browser in BB10 would be awesome if it had text reflow. As it is, reading text heavy websites is a bit of a pain unless you use reader mode, but text reflow would be very welcome. Chrome also has great desktop integration.
    But BB10's browser has Flash which, to me at least, is a huge positive.

Google Maps is just awesome. I went to London this weekend, and had to try depending on BlackBerry Maps. It was awful. No walking directions, no transit integration. It was just awful.
    Tried loading Google Maps website but it kept telling me something about my font and wouldn't work properly.

Ended up using Nokia Here's website, but it was all far from seamless and a real pain, same trip a few months ago with my Android device and Google Maps, absolutely brilliant. BlackBerry Maps let me down big time in London.

Don't have a FaceBook account, but the Youtube app doesn't seem to let me upload videos on BB10, which is a huge pain, have to get vids to the comp first then upload them.

Onavo wouldn't be needed if we still had BIS as an option. Without BIS or an option like Onavo, other platforms are way ahead of BB10 for data efficiency.

Skype isn't here yet for Z10s.
    Dunno what Carbonite is, but I miss Google Plus, then on board Box and DropBox don't work very well for me in terms of backing up pics and vids.

It's a good start, but the apps need to come, they need to be high quality, not like the battery sucking Android port of Ebay, and people need to be realistic. BlackBerry maps is almost certainly never going to be anywhere close to Google Maps. My Tomtom isn't really there. No reason Google won't bring the app over if we have enough users though.
    05-05-13 05:50 PM
    Skype is available, and google maps, well i think that everyone in the world uses it, they should sue google for not letting BB10 have the app, since it's been a open feature for everyone in the world, i think it violates the anti-monopoly rule
    05-05-13 05:51 PM
    Onavo is good and they are looking for an app for BB10
    05-05-13 06:00 PM
    I upload to YouTube directly from the camera or StoryMaker. I don't need an app for that.

BlackBerry Maps works fine for driving or walking. For transit, there are a number of excellent apps. In London you have London Tube Status and one for busses. These, I have found, are better than Google Maps in that they give you updated info on delays, construction, etc.

Skype video on phones is a joke. I can chat on Skype with IM+Pro. BBM video chat is far superior in terms of video quality, camera switching, screen sharing...

The more I use the Z, the more I realize that the "There are no apps" criticism is absurd.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and cheadley1 like this.
    05-05-13 08:03 PM
    A lot of "needed" apps are going to be opinion. For me google maps and chrome are very important to me. As of now the BB10 "replacements" are not as good. Sure they get by but can not replace feature for feature.
    05-05-13 08:09 PM
    Onavo is good but I think my app Datacheck Pro is on par accept it do not have individual app data tracking due to API restrictions.

Check the app out.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:12 PM

Kindle is present

If I read your post correctly, you said they have about 5 out of the 10. You gave alternatives or stated why you don't like the missing apps. I don't think that constitutes "pretty much all available."
    05-05-13 08:26 PM
    google maps is good, but its not with out its flaws..
    05-05-13 08:42 PM
    hm, well though some apps are available/replaceable I still miss the following:

- Paypal
    - IMDB
    - Evernote
    - Netflix
    - Amazon
    - Flipboard

- a personal banking app for my UK bank ...

Please no comments on I could side-load most of them - not with the experience I bought the phone for initially ...
    05-05-13 09:08 PM
    google maps is good, but its not with out its flaws..
    I agree. It ain't perfect. It's integration with Google Now is pretty cool, though.
    pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
    05-05-13 09:10 PM
    Skype is available, and google maps, well i think that everyone in the world uses it, they should sue google for not letting BB10 have the app, since it's been a open feature for everyone in the world, i think it violates the anti-monopoly rule
    Google isn't breaking any laws....

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    Drew808 likes this.
    05-05-13 09:17 PM
    If I read your post correctly, you said they have about 5 out of the 10. You gave alternatives or stated why you don't like the missing apps. I don't think that constitutes "pretty much all available."
    It's actually a tribute to how much is missing! Especially with "mainstream" apps like these.....start getting into specific professional apps or commerical apps and you've got huge problems.
    05-05-13 09:28 PM
    hm, well though some apps are available/replaceable I still miss the following:

- Paypal
    - IMDB
    - Evernote
    - Netflix
    - Amazon
    - Flipboard

- a personal banking app for my UK bank ...

Please no comments on I could side-load most of them - not with the experience I bought the phone for initially ...
    Other than Amazon, all of the apps on this list can be side loaded. I have PayPal, IMDB, and Evernote all loaded and working fine. Others have Netflix running with only some lag going through the menus.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 09:45 PM
    Other than Amazon, all of the apps on this list can be side loaded. I have PayPal, IMDB, and Evernote all loaded and working fine. Others have Netflix running with only some lag going through the menus.

Posted via CB10
    Side-loading isn't the answer considering a lot of the apps have serious lag...

robitaille93 likes this.
    05-05-13 10:15 PM
    Google Maps couldn't find my own house either. Thankfully, I don't believe finding my house is high on the list of deciding criteria most people (including myself) use for deciding the efficacy of handheld mapping solutions.

Google does fix mistakes like that fairly quickly, by the way -- inside of 60 days, too.

I think it has more features, and better data points. It's fine if you disagree, and even better that you found a solution that works for you. Choice is good.
    I don't disagree with you that Google maps are better. Far from it. But I had to laugh at the 'they fix inside of 60 days'. I had someone contact me last year because their personal house and phone number were showing up as a restaurant on our website. I realized they meant on Google maps. It was an older couple and I didn't mind trying to straighten things out for them. I tried to go through the process that Google has set up to report an incorrect address. It was a nightmare. I also tried sending some emails. This was about 8 or 9 months ago. Last month I got an email from Google stating that the problem had been cleared up.

The moral of the story is not to name your child Basil. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    05-05-13 11:52 PM
    I don't disagree with you that Google maps are better. Far from it. But I had to laugh at the 'they fix inside of 60 days'. I had someone contact me last year because their personal house and phone number were showing up as a restaurant on our website. I realized they meant on Google maps. It was an older couple and I didn't mind trying to straighten things out for them. I tried to go through the process that Google has set up to report an incorrect address. It was a nightmare. I also tried sending some emails. This was about 8 or 9 months ago. Last month I got an email from Google stating that the problem had been cleared up.

The moral of the story is not to name your child Basil. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    LOL I was being silly and making fun of the 60-day email promise.

Google can be infuriating. When they have bugs, it can take forever to never to fix it. Am dealing with an issue where an app I paid for is showing as unpaid in the Play Store. They've been working on this issue with others users since last year.

Ridiculously incompetent.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-06-13 12:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    well obviously you didn't read my post correctly - tell that to a person that isn't that tech savvy and especially when it comes to maintain the latest versions this is not an option - would you sideload lets say 35 apps and keep them updated manually? doubt it ...

Side-loading isn't the answer considering a lot of the apps have serious lag...

not only that but some aren't even - most apps that require for example to the google maps api (everything with GPS referrals) don't work, even if you dont want to use the particular feature. my banking app for example doesn't work and there is not a single alternative.
    05-06-13 03:00 AM
54 123