I don't think RIM will be able to compete against high end Androids due to weak developer interest in the BB 10 platform. You may have good reasons behind why you don't need millions of apps on your phone. But in the real world, I found I do need them. From Skype to basic regional transit apps(bus/train) to school Grade table apps are missing from Blackberry. No matter how you spin this, the key is the high number of quality useful apps. The argument that iOS and Android apps are useless is just ignorant. While there may be a lot of useless apps, there are more useful apps in those OS platforms than BB platform!

Unless RIM find a way to install all the Android apps on BB 10 through an agreement with Google, I don't think BB 10 can beat high end Androids. But it will beat the low end phones. RIM will gain customers who are used to physical keyboards like me once they release BB 10 with a physical keyboard.

Even in Canada and India(which RIM said they still have the lead), the Android market is growing at an exponential rate.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-09-12 at 10:00 AM.
    05-09-12 09:49 AM
    Funny, I never see you around when missinformation is posted about Blackberry, then again, how would you know, you haven't had one in over 2 years.
    I have defended the PB multiple times and I don't even own it. I have defended RIM when people say BBs don't have the best battery life. I have defended RIM when people claim BBs are just glorified feature phones.

I have dealt with BBs on a regular basis for the last 4+ years.

The fact is, Belfast, that there is much more misinformation spread on this site about the other platforms that it is easier to pick up on. Most people here use BBs, so why would they spread misinformation about them? The times I do see it, I always comment.

The thing is though, I don't make false accusations about RIM like you do about iOS and Android. If I don't know if something is false or not, I just don't comment (don't know much about OS7, so I don't make any claims about it besides the obvious and things I have tested). You on the other hand, make things up all the time, and then when you get called out spin it into something else. It has been quite comical over the years.

You just claimed cheap Android devices do a poor job at everything. Have you used all of them to make that claim, or have you used a couple and then decided to make up that fact for the rest of them? If so, some of the free Android devices here in the US beg to differ.

EDIT- I'm done with this.. sorry to bring this off topic. If you want to continue belfast, PM me. Or send me your Google talk account so it's easier.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-09-12 at 09:53 AM.
    05-09-12 09:50 AM
    I have defended the PB multiple times and I don't even own it. I have defended RIM when people say BBs don't have the best battery life. I have defended RIM when people claim BBs are just glorified feature phones.

I have dealt with BBs on a regular basis for the last 4+ years.

The fact is, Belfast, that there is much more misinformation spread on this site about the other platforms that it is easier to pick up on. Most people here use BBs, so why would they spread misinformation about them? The times I do see it, I always comment.

The thing is though, I don't make false accusations about RIM like you do about iOS and Android. If I don't know if something is false or not, I just don't comment (don't know much about OS7, so I don't make any claims about it besides the obvious and things I have tested). You on the other hand, make things up all the time, and then when you get called out spin it into something else. It has been quite comical over the years.

You just claimed cheap Android devices do a poor job at everything. Have you used all of them to make that claim, or have you used a couple and then decided to make up that fact for the rest of them? If so, some of the free Android devices here in the US beg to differ.
    Free Android device? You mean free on contract? Because those are not the budget devices we're talking about. I got my 9900 free on contract.

The budget devices are purchased at full price as pre pay or payg as we call it.

So we might be talking about different phones.
    05-09-12 09:54 AM
    Oh dear. I need a break from CrackBerry again!
    05-09-12 10:06 AM
    *If the iPhone had been available on Sprint and Verizon from the beginning, I'm not even sure that Android would have taken off at all.
    That is not true. Verizon's big marketing push, if you recall, was "DROID does" and pinpointing all of iPhone's shortcomings. At the time Apple had no competition and really clamped down on policies and features. It was not until Android started dominating the market space that Apple started to loosen some of its policies and start accelerating the features set.

=X=
    05-09-12 10:44 AM
    LOL, not that long ago you were all about the iphone, not you're defending android with a passion, I wonder, will you ever stop justifying your choices on Crackberry?
    Can't attack his argument so you switch to attacking him instead. Classic fanboi trolling at work. Sad.
    avt123 likes this.
    05-09-12 10:53 AM
    Can't attack his argument so you switch to attacking him instead. Classic fanboi trolling at work. Sad.
    You must be confused.
    05-09-12 11:05 AM
    android 4 is pretty darn nice after usung gingerbread, i hope bb10 brings some strong competition.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-09-12 11:42 AM
    Lucky you. As far as battery life is concerned, the bold 9900 is by far the worst phone I've ever owned.
    The Bold 9900 battery life is pretty disappointing, unless you're doing nothing at all on it - at least it still is for me.
    05-09-12 11:47 AM
    That goes to a lot of thread here... I have seen that all over the place. Specially when a users try to point out issues with BlackBerry, we get attacked by the BB mob and labeled as trolls.
    aw don't worry about us BB defenders, no good deed goes unpunished. My motivation for helping guard the castle was effectively removed when the guard captains chose to assist the besiegers and jam it to the guy helping guard the walls for free.
    05-09-12 11:52 AM
    Oh dear. I need a break from CrackBerry again!
    No... but a few users who can't settle their differences in private might need an enforced break if they continue to spoil the forums for others.
    05-09-12 11:54 AM
    Check out some of the things Android is doing with battery life like the Droid RAZR Maxx for example.

Also, Apple hasn't been ahead of Android for a long time now. Not sure where you got that idea.

Yes, 6 months is like 6 years with Android. There will probably be at least 10 more Android devices released minimum before BB10 sees the light of day. Are you listening RIM?
    If they've improved battery life - good, they should do if they're paying attention. I mentioned battery life because it was the one consistent complaint users had when reviewing/comparing those particular Android phones. It's like a flag... much like the battery life issue is on the Bold 9900.
    05-09-12 11:55 AM
    That is not true. Verizon's big marketing push, if you recall, was "DROID does" and pinpointing all of iPhone's shortcomings. At the time Apple had no competition and really clamped down on policies and features. It was not until Android started dominating the market space that Apple started to loosen some of its policies and start accelerating the features set.

=X=
    Very well put. Apple is too restrictive. Android is a lot better user friendly, a lot more free apps, and , I can clock it a load faster. I just want and need more power so, here is to hoping we get some quad core phones over here in America. Outlook not so good though.
    05-09-12 11:57 AM

=X=
    Except that if the iPhone had been available on Verizon, then Verizon probably wouldn't have made the big push for Android. The only reason Verizon did that is because Verizon needed an iPhone competitor, and Android owes a huge debt to Verizon for pushing the platform as aggressively as it did.

Had Verizon had the iPhone from the beginning, it is not at all certain that Android would have caught on at all.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-12 12:06 PM
    Except that if the iPhone had been available on Verizon, then Verizon probably wouldn't have made the big push for Android. The only reason Verizon did that is because Verizon needed an iPhone competitor, and Android owes a huge debt to Verizon for pushing the platform as aggressively as it did.

Had Verizon had the iPhone from the beginning, it is not at all certain that Android would have caught on at all.
    Possibly but questionable. Iphone is very restrictive and since android, Apple has loosened up quite a bit.
    05-09-12 12:20 PM
    BB10 is definitely RIM's comeback. But its a two-edged sword because... It is also its last stand. If BB10 fails (even remotely like the pb), then RIM is done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 12:27 PM
    I don't know what it's supposed to mean that the iPhone is "restrictive."

It's certainly true that the carriers don't like the iPhone because they don't get to screw around with it as much. It's certainly possible, then, that the carriers would have nurtured Android anyway so that they'd have more maleable devices to sell. But in that respect, Apple hasn't budged at all; they still don't let the carriers dictate iPhone design, stuff it with bloatware, or plaster it with logos.
    05-09-12 12:55 PM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/ad-ban...s-chip-and-lte

Not sure if serious? If serious, it looks like everyone's next phone assuming it comes to America. lol
    05-09-12 01:03 PM
    To quote a comment by Tony Boulos on SeekingAlpha:

Subscriber figures are very important for a company like RIM. Unlike Apple and Samsung who make almost all their money on the initial sale (aside from some app contribution afterward), RIM makes an average of $5 per month for each subscriber thereafter. That's $60 of additional revenue per year. RIM can sell phones for less and still make a decent profit because of that. And that number is pretty consistent no matter which market they have to resort to for sales. It's over $4 billion in revenue per year on an almost fixed cost for the network. (end quote)

I think that RIM could beat Android but undercutting the price of their phones. RIM would make money through subscriber revenue. A lot of people who buy Android do it because of the lower price than the Iphone. Blackberry could do extremely well in this market as long as they offer a comparable experience. Particularly because Android owners don`t seem to have a lot of loyalty.

My $0.02.
    05-09-12 01:13 PM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/ad-ban...s-chip-and-lte

Not sure if serious? If serious, it looks like everyone's next phone assuming it comes to America. lol
    Everyone doesn't like blondes. Everyone doesn't like soup. Everyone doesn't like cake.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-09-12 01:19 PM
    To quote a comment by Tony Boulos on SeekingAlpha:

Subscriber figures are very important for a company like RIM. Unlike Apple and Samsung who make almost all their money on the initial sale (aside from some app contribution afterward), RIM makes an average of $5 per month for each subscriber thereafter. That's $60 of additional revenue per year. RIM can sell phones for less and still make a decent profit because of that. And that number is pretty consistent no matter which market they have to resort to for sales. It's over $4 billion in revenue per year on an almost fixed cost for the network. (end quote)

I think that RIM could beat Android but undercutting the price of their phones. RIM would make money through subscriber revenue. A lot of people who buy Android do it because of the lower price than the Iphone. Blackberry could do extremely well in this market as long as they offer a comparable experience. Particularly because Android owners don`t seem to have a lot of loyalty.

My $0.02.
    The problem with Rim is that, they aren't selling for less, charge more then what it costs for the nexus or galaxy2s for a current model blackberry that isn't even a dual core phone. This is absurd. If they want to really win back customers, suggest purchasing a current blackberry with the opportunity to upgrade to a bb10 phone when it becomes available. Unfortunately for them, the iphone 5 is coming, and many are willing to buy it out from the start.
    05-09-12 01:21 PM
    Everyone doesn't like blondes. Everyone doesn't like soup. Everyone doesn't like cake.
    I don't have a type. If aesthetic, I am game! Not sure the point of why someone would enter a multi year contract on any current blackberry phone? I fail to comprehend the logic here. A perk would be a bb10 upgrade even if they charged a small fee in order to do that.
    05-09-12 01:22 PM
    I love brunettes, so fetching...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-12 01:23 PM
    Ok, you really need to go away now.
    05-09-12 01:25 PM
    I love brunettes, so fetching...

ditto!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    sam_b77 likes this.
    05-09-12 01:25 PM
271 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD