A coworker shown his galaxy nexus to me today, big phone, but the screen looks really dimmed. I took out my 9810 and mine is brighter then his. He explains that he set it to auto dimmed to save power.... He can turn the brightness up when he need to.... Well, not very impressed.

Hopefully BB10 will have better battery life than those "super phones".
    05-08-12 09:34 PM
    A coworker shown his galaxy nexus to me today, big phone, but the screen looks really dimmed. I took out my 9810 and mine is brighter then his. He explains that he set it to auto dimmed to save power.... He can turn the brightness up when he need to.... Well, not very impressed.

....You're not impressed by someone else's screen brightness preferences?
    DenverRalphy, Premium1 and JtothaR like this.
    05-08-12 10:00 PM
    i think most people leave their phones on auto brightness. I always have. I would be completely blinded if i turned my nexus up all the way. I like my retinas! even my BBs i left at 20-40% prolly
    DenverRalphy and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-08-12 10:12 PM
    I use auto brightness on my Nokia.

When I used BlackBerry, I set brightness to 20%.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-08-12 11:36 PM
    BB will overtake Android and iOS. Its inevitable.
    05-09-12 12:08 AM
    i think most people leave their phones on auto brightness. I always have. I would be completely blinded if i turned my nexus up all the way. I like my retinas! even my BBs i left at 20-40% prolly
    I always set to 10% which is very ample for indoors. And when out in the sun my BB cranks it up automatically.
    05-09-12 12:20 AM
    There seems to be a few points that you are all over looking. First of all rome wasnt built in a day. Im sure the author of the thread doesnt mean as soon as it comes out we are going to see blackberry suddenly dominate the mobile market. You only have to look at when android first came out to where it is now to understand there is a chance for another os to come out on top.

in reltation to ios, I do strongly believe we have seen everything it can be. Apple have failed in the last few years to truly innovate anything. I use a macbook and since leopard any os that has came out for it hasnt improved anything or offered me anyway of doing things differently. They have simply streamlined the ui in a few places and more recently mimicked the tablet design which looks awful, as does the windows 8 consumer preview i tried.

what I have always loved about blackberry is right out of the box the preloaded apps are enough to satisfy with facebook and twitter integration built into the os. docstogo ect

if you stripped ios of the app store and just looked at the core os its very bare and provides little functionality.

BB10 will be a big game changer for RIM there is no doubt about that. You can tell just how hard they are trying.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    05-09-12 07:47 AM
    There seems to be a few points that you are all over looking. First of all rome wasnt built in a day. Im sure the author of the thread doesnt mean as soon as it comes out we are going to see blackberry suddenly dominate the mobile market. You only have to look at when android first came out to where it is now to understand there is a chance for another os to come out on top.

in reltation to ios, I do strongly believe we have seen everything it can be. Apple have failed in the last few years to truly innovate anything. I use a macbook and since leopard any os that has came out for it hasnt improved anything or offered me anyway of doing things differently. They have simply streamlined the ui in a few places and more recently mimicked the tablet design which looks awful, as does the windows 8 consumer preview i tried.

what I have always loved about blackberry is right out of the box the preloaded apps are enough to satisfy with facebook and twitter integration built into the os. docstogo ect

if you stripped ios of the app store and just looked at the core os its very bare and provides little functionality.

BB10 will be a big game changer for RIM there is no doubt about that. You can tell just how hard they are trying.
    I think there is always room for improvements for iOS as there is for just about everything tech related. Its really just a matter of how far a company or developer pushes themselves to take things to the next level and to create something new and exciting and never saying, "that's good enough".

Also, doesn't Apple acknowledge that iOS is app driven?
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 05-09-12 at 08:12 AM.
    05-09-12 08:04 AM
    BB7 already beats Android.
    lmao. That one lonely 9930 sitting in the back of the VZW store is surely selling like hotcakes!

BB7 is a great OS IMO, but it seems most of the market does not want it. Samsungs Android line alone destroys RIMs device sales, there is no way BB7 will ever beat Android at this point. BB10 has a chance, BB7 never did.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-09-12 08:23 AM
    lmao. That one lonely 9930 sitting in the back of the VZW store is surely selling like hotcakes!

BB7 is a great OS IMO, but it seems most of the market does not want it. Samsungs Android line alone destroys RIMs device sales, there is no way BB7 will ever beat Android at this point. BB10 has a chance, BB7 never did.
    We haven't seen the end of OS7 yet, the truly affordable models have just been released(the ones that always sold like hotcakes for RIM)

People have woken up to cheap Android phones. They do a poor job at everything, where the cheap BBs do a really good job at messaging while lasting a long time on one charge too.
    05-09-12 08:38 AM

This is something every smartphone can do.

You really shouldn't be impressed. If you were, I would have to ask if you were living in a cave for the last couple of years...
    05-09-12 08:39 AM
    We haven't seen the end of OS7 yet, the truly affordable models have just been released(the ones that always sold like hotcakes for RIM)

People have woken up to cheap Android phones. They do a poor job at everything, where the cheap BBs do a really good job at messaging while lasting a long time on one charge too.

Samsungs hottest selling device is the Galaxy S line...There is nothing cheap about that.

Cheap BBs do a fine job at messaging. So do cheap Android devices. Using messaging apps is not a straining task for lower end hardware to take care of on either platform. I had a Droid (high end for its time, but on par or worse than cheap Android devices of today). It ran on an under 800mhz processor. It opened my texts, email and every other messaging application perfectly fine without a problem. It also lasted a full day without a problem.

Cheap Android devices are more than capable to do simple messaging like you just described.

Yes the newer, cheaper BB7 devices haven't come out yet, and we will see how well they sell. That doesn't change the point I made. RIM will not outsell all the major Android manufacturers, and even with the cheap Curves will most likely not outsell Samsung by itself.

RIM is shipping what, 11-12million now without the Curve? You think the Curve alone will bring that to 30+million (Samsung and Apple territory)? Think realistically here for a second...
    05-09-12 08:46 AM
    This is something every smartphone can do.

You really shouldn't be impressed. If you were, I would have to ask if you were living in a cave for the last couple of years...
    Yeah, they can all do it, but how well can they do it? Obviously you never held a budget Android in your hand.
    05-09-12 08:47 AM
    It's worth noting the differences between the market now and when Android launched in 2008. The iPhone is available on almost every major carrier* in the US, has a giant base of users, and has access to an incredible app catalog that not even its closest competitor comes close to in terms of volume or quality. Multiple Android devices are available on every carrier at every price point in every form factor. The two major competitors to the iOS/Android duopoly are either dead (WebOS) or desperately attempting to gain traction (Windows Phone).

Windows Phone has Microsoft behind it, who can and will throw a practically infinite amount of money at it until it succeeds. I'm not optimistic about any other potential competitor unless someone comes up with a way to just completely neutralize all of Apple's strengths, or comes up with a must-have feature that iOS and Android don't have. And, again, this is something Microsoft has been trying at for years and hasn't figured out.

*If the iPhone had been available on Sprint and Verizon from the beginning, I'm not even sure that Android would have taken off at all; the smartphone market might have wound up kind of like the tablet or MP3 player markets, where there isn't really a tablet/MP3 player market, there's only an iPad/iPod market.
    05-09-12 08:48 AM
    Yeah, they can all do it, but how well can they do it? Obviously you never held a budget Android in your hand.
    Does this even matter? That wasn't the point at all.

Also, I have used cheap Android devices, my friend has a crappy LG on Virgin Mobile, and his device brightens and dims exactly the same as my $700 VZW Galaxy Nexus, iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and Droid 4 I have sitting in the house. Please do not assume what I have and have not used.

I will say not all devices are made equally.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-09-12 at 08:57 AM.
    05-09-12 08:54 AM
    Are you talking about the auto dimming feature?
    05-09-12 08:55 AM
    Does this even matter? That wasn't the point at all.

Also, I have used cheap Android devices, my friend has a crappy LG on Virgin Mobile, and his device brightens and dims exactly the same as my $700 VZW Galaxy Nexus, iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and Droid 4 I have sitting in the house. Please do not assume what I have and have not used.

I will say not all devices are made equally.
    LOL, not that long ago you were all about the iphone, not you're defending android with a passion, I wonder, will you ever stop justifying your choices on Crackberry?
    05-09-12 09:00 AM
    Are you talking about the auto dimming feature?
    No, I actually got confused and replied to the wrong post

Many budget Androids don't have this feature. And the others are nowhere near as effective, especially in direct sunlight.
    05-09-12 09:02 AM
    LOL, not that long ago you were all about the iphone, not you're defending android with a passion, I wonder, will you ever stop justifying your choices on Crackberry?
    Get a clue. I "defended" Android when I had an iPhone as well. I do the same for RIM as well when people deliberately speak out of their you know what, kind of like what you are doing right now making up things about me. Just because I am "defending" Android hear means I'm not about iOS as well? I'm all about QNX as well, I want it on my next device. But I guess since I am here clearing up a few things about Android, that means I can't like anything else at all right?

I have a passion for the CORRECT information. When I have a BB10 device I will do the same to those who spread misinformation about it as well, just like I did when I had a 8330, 9000 and my short time with the 9700.

When will you stop nitpicking and making things up just so you can argue with people who own these devices you barely know anything about and have never owned yourself?

Also, who is justifying? I am perfectly happy with my device(s) and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about my decisions. However, I do care about misinformation being spread on a forum that is suppose to help and give people insightful information.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-09-12 at 09:16 AM.
    05-09-12 09:08 AM

1) Android had the backing of Google, and all of Google's services. If Android had been made by Mozilla, it likely wouldn't have gained enough traction to stick. What does RIM have to offer outside of it's OS that will draw customers to BB?

2) In some ways, you are correct about iOS. At the same time, I don't think that Apple is in any hurry to drastically overhaul it's UI. It serves its purpose(s) incredibly well. What we do know is that Apple will continue to tweak and add services/features as the tech industry changes.

3) iOS is what it is - app driven. That's obviously different than BB, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, in many ways, it is a good thing, and allows for more to be done easier than when it is all a part of a larger OS.

1) Yes, "people have woken up to cheap Android phones"... that is why Android's continue to sell like hot cakes and Android's market share continues to climb.

2) Sales numbers would indicate that "cheap Android phones" must not suck that much.

3) Who cares whether a phone lasts a freakin' week on a charge? As long as it gets through a day, which almost every Android phone sold in the last 8-10 months does with relative ease, that's all that matters.

Did you not read what you were responding too? Auto-dimming is a near universal feature.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-09-12 09:14 AM
    Get a clue. I "defended" Android when I had an iPhone as well. I do the same for RIM as well when people deliberately speak out of their you know what, kind of like what you are doing right now making up things about me. Just because I am "defending" Android hear means I'm not about iOS as well? I'm all about QNX as well, I want it on my next device. But I guess since I am here clearing up a few things about Android, that means I can't like anything else at all right?

I have a passion for the CORRECT information. When I have a BB10 device I will do the same to those who spread misinformation about it as well, just like I did when I had a 8330, 9000 and my short time with the 9700.

When will you stop nitpicking and making things up just so you can argue with people who own these devices you barely know anything about and have never owned yourself?

Also, who is justifying? I am perfectly happy with my device(s) and I can care less what anyone thinks about my decisions. However, I do care about misinformation being spread on a forum that is suppose to help and give people insightful information.
    So for over two years you haven't had a Blackberry phone yet you're very active on Crackberry. That says it all man. Isn't it time to move on and come back when BB10 arrives maybe?

Why do you care if missinformation is spread on a Blackberry forum about other platforms? Are you afraid it will hurt their sales or something?
    05-09-12 09:18 AM
    So for over two years you haven't had a Blackberry phone yet you're very active on Crackberry. That says it all man. Isn't it time to move on and come back when BB10 arrives maybe?
    So I can't participate in the general sections, the Android and iPhone section and read up on BB10 discussion? For real? On a free and open forum you are questioning why I am here when I have an interest in BB devices. If I wasn't interested in RIM I would not be here.

I don't deliberately start threads bashing RIM.

Why do you care if missinformation is spread on a Blackberry forum about other platforms? Are you afraid it will hurt their sales or something?
    Because I am a member here and people should be entitled to the correct information, no matter hat platform forum it comes from. You can be bias about RIM without lying about the competition. It's really not hard.

I had a 9000, iPhone and Droid at the exact same time. Owning all three platforms and know the information, you don't think I would say something if someone is lying just like you would do if it was about RIM?

I don't care about their sales getting hurt. I care about people getting the right information no matter what platform they are talking about on this forum. This forum is suppose to help people, not mislead them. How are people suppose to learn anything if they come here and ask a question, people lie, and then they go somewhere else spreading the lies further.

If you have a problem with me trying to not spread lies, you can put me on ignore and be done with it. You can watch the RIM koolaid flow and the drunken lies that follow continue. Just note, CrackBerry is the only forum (out of the sister sites) that makes up garbage about the other platforms.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-09-12 at 09:31 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-09-12 09:25 AM
    So I can't participate in the general sections, the Android and iPhone section and read up on BB10 discussion? For real? On a free and open forum you are questioning why I am here when I have an interest in BB devices. If I wasn't interested in RIM I would not be here.

I don't deliberately start threads bashing RIM.

Because I am a member here and people should be entitled to the correct information, no matter hat platform forum it comes from. You can be bias about RIM without lying about the competition. It's really not hard.

I had a 9000, iPhone and Droid at the exact same time. Owning all three platforms and know the information, you don't think I would say something if someone is lying just like you would do if it was about RIM?

I don't care about their sales getting hurt. I care about people getting the right information no matter what platform they are talking about on this forum. This forum is suppose to help people, not mislead them. How are people suppose to learn anything if they come here and ask a question, people lie, and then they go somewhere else spreading the lies further.

If you have a problem with me trying to not spread lies, you can put me on ignore and be done with it. You can watch the RIM koolaid flow and the drunken lies that follow continue. Just note, CrackBerry is the only forum (out of the sister sites) that makes up garbage about the other platforms.
    Funny, I never see you around when missinformation is posted about Blackberry, then again, how would you know, you haven't had one in over 2 years.
    05-09-12 09:33 AM
    It's getting awfully personal in this thread...
    mssca likes this.
    05-09-12 09:42 AM
    It's getting awfully personal in this thread...
    That goes to a lot of thread here... I have seen that all over the place. Specially when a users try to point out issues with BlackBerry, we get attacked by the BB mob and labeled as trolls.
    05-09-12 09:44 AM
271 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD