So installing a 3300 mAh battery, almost twice the capacity of the Droid Razr, is doing something with battery life? Think I'll replace straight six in my car with a V12 that is twice the displacement to get better gas mileage!
    Nice try, better check the specs on that 9900 your carrying around. Why does it clock in at 10.5mm thickness and the Maxx is only 8.99mm?

What you were trying to say was that you'd replace the gas tank in your car with a bigger one to get better gas mileage. The problem with your comparison is that Motorola were able to nearly double their battery capacity in a smaller form factor than other devices.

A source of fuel (battery) and an engine (processor) in this case are two very different concepts. Since the BB has a single core processor and a display under 3 inches, it's no surprise that it lasts longer on a smaller battery (for the same reason that a lawn mower doesn't have the gas tank of an 18-wheeler).

Since your phone charges with electricity (thats what that set of three holes on your wall is for, btw) your gas mileage argument falls completely flat. Don't tell me how you're saving money on your electric bill by charging your BB every three days instead of two either.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 04:25 PM
    How's the battery life on the 99XXs?

I get 20+ hours reliably with moderate to heavy use. That more than gets me through a day without charging, and I agree that more than that isn't necessary.
    05-08-12 04:26 PM
    Didn't Motorola just put a higher capcity battery in and called it the MAXX? I didn't think there was any special technology or tuning behind it (?).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The tuning comes from an app they coded called "Smart Actions" which regulates the phones processor and radio use behind the scenes to net longer battery life, combined with a larger capacity battery to further extend the phone's usability.
    05-08-12 04:28 PM
    Last I checked no bb has that big of a screen and isn't on lte so I would hope it gets good battery life especially with how small the screens on the phone are( minus the torch series phones) Plus they aren't the thinnest out there so they can't use that as an excuse as to why they can't increase the battery size. Especially since moto packed a 3300 mah battery in a 8.9 mm form factor.
    05-08-12 04:32 PM
    Now don't get me wrong here - I am rooting for BB10 to be successful. I'm a fan of being able to have a phone made my a manufacturer that makes their own OS. But not Apple, just dislike them, nothing personal.

But I'm not as wildly excited about it as many people here are. I simply don't think it's going to anything more than a very nice phone. I don't really think it's going to be all that ground breaking. But that's ok with me, I'm quite fine with it being as-good-as the other guys.

But just for personal giggles, I'm in the process of taking each core feature of BB10 that gets leaked, and I'm using an older version of Android to mimic it. So far I've been able to copy the unified inbox, the app screen, and that tiled home screen.
    Keep working on it lol. It would be cool if you could create some sorta BB10 theme for Android devices lol. Would DEFINITELY pay for it.
    p.s. Have u worked out the keyboard predictive text and swiping features too?
    05-08-12 04:56 PM
    When was BBX/BB10 first announce as the next BB OS?
    05-08-12 05:10 PM
    I get 20+ hours reliably with moderate to heavy use. That more than gets me through a day without charging, and I agree that more than that isn't necessary.
    Lucky you. As far as battery life is concerned, the bold 9900 is by far the worst phone I've ever owned.
    05-08-12 05:15 PM
    Getting back to the OP, it could happen. A lot of the Android ecosystem is a bit of a mess, especially where app developers are concerned. There's still a lot of fragmentation. And the faster the hardware manufacturers keep cranking out newer kit, the more people can possibly get fed up with buying phones that are obsolete and unsupported within a month of purchase. Now the 'experts' keep talking up Windows Phone's prospects. While it may not be the most likely scenario, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Android would take the biggest hit from a strong showing by WP, especially if BB10 makes a decent splash as well.
    05-08-12 05:39 PM
    Playing devil's advocate.....how can you say what they don't have? That is as much conjecture as saying they will beat Android.
    Let's see what the new RIM produces before we shut the casket.
    Going on years of experience with RIM and the fact that game-changers don't come around very often - it's a pretty solid bet. The onus is on RIM to show us the game-changer, until that happens - they have nothing.
    05-08-12 06:06 PM
    Even iOS can't beat Android let alone BB10.
    05-08-12 06:39 PM
    What I don't get is why does BB10 need to beat Android or Apple? Why is that important?
    kbz1960 and lnichols like this.
    05-08-12 06:42 PM
    What I don't get is why does BB10 need to beat Android or Apple? Why is that important?
    bingo, they dont! Im not sure they even should try. Maybe in a few years but now, they just need to be a very solid number 3 with increasing or stable marketshare in all areas of the world
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    05-08-12 06:44 PM
    Reading these topics makes me think Bb users are really in their own little bubble. If bb10 is equal to ICS or iOS theyll still be behin the next big updates.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 06:47 PM
    I agree. i think what they should shoot for is to become a solid competitor again. The bb faithful think bb10 needs to beat android when in fact all it needs to do is get a solid footing. Maybe in a few years but to think it is going to come out and automatically beat out the top OS market share wise is crazy.
    05-08-12 06:49 PM
    Reading these topics makes me think Bb users are really in their own little bubble. If bb10 is equal to ICS or iOS theyll still be behin the next big updates.
    Plus you have to figure by the time bb10 is out google will most likely have their next version of their OS out which could be leaps and bounds better than what is in ICS and then what everyone thought of bb10 and being so great would still be way behind android and who knows what new will be in ios6.
    05-08-12 06:51 PM
    Getting back to the OP, it could happen. A lot of the Android ecosystem is a bit of a mess, especially where app developers are concerned. There's still a lot of fragmentation. And the faster the hardware manufacturers keep cranking out newer kit, the more people can possibly get fed up with buying phones that are obsolete and unsupported within a month of purchase. Now the 'experts' keep talking up Windows Phone's prospects. While it may not be the most likely scenario, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Android would take the biggest hit from a strong showing by WP, especially if BB10 makes a decent splash as well.
    Most average consumers have no idea their phone is "obselete" just because something else comes out. People who are on sites like these and others may care but the majority of consumers phones will still continue working after the next new phone is coming out and they dont care if they have the latest OS. most don't even know what version they are on they just say they have a "droid"
    05-08-12 06:54 PM
    I think the only ones who want/think RIM needs to beat Apple and Android are the fanboys/girls who frequent the forums, blogs, and fansites on the internet.

I would think that RIM's goal is to release BB10 and make an amazing, bug free, and impressive phone and OS that, hopefully, people will want to buy.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 07:11 PM
    Yeah, I always think it's silly when someone brings up the avalanche of Android phones as a negative. The vast majority of consumers aren't going to notice or care; it's just tech enthusiasts who get fed up when they don't have bragging rights to the absolute bleeding-edge cell phone tech.

It might make a difference that "Android" doesn't have the kind of brand loyalty that iOS has. It isn't clear to me that most consumers have any real idea of what Android is, or that it has anything to do with Google, or that devices like the Razr MAXX and One X run the same OS. Certainly, it's nothing like the incredible brand loyalty that Apple commands, or even the loyalty among Blackberry users.

But I only really see that being a problem if some other OS starts to supplant Android where it comes to things like diversity in price points, form factor, and carrier support. In other words, Android is where it is because carriers like it and because it offers an experience sort of like the iPhone but with certain advantages that the iPhone doesn't have. I don't think that many consumers go out looking for an Android device specifically, but "kind of like an iPhone with a bigger screen and 4G" is a pitch that sells phones.

I guess some other OS could muscle in on that turf if it carried some brand loyalty that Android doesn't, but considering the huge diversity Android offers, I'm not really sure there's room for another OS at all. WebOS and Windows Phone 7 both offered great user experiences in a variety of hardware (granted, a limited variety in the case of the former), and neither caught any traction to speak of.

RIM has to demonstrate some reason for BB10 to succeed where those other systems failed. I think RIM can do that, but hasn't yet (yeah, I know, Windows Phone is still around).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-08-12 07:25 PM
    I think the only ones who want/think RIM needs to beat Apple and Android are the fanboys/girls who frequent the forums, blogs, and fansites on the internet.

I would think that RIM's goal is to release BB10 and make an amazing, bug free, and impressive phone and OS that, hopefully, people will want to buy.
    Yep totally agree. It's a strange thing. It's like it isn't enough that you have a great phone, it has to sell more than any other phone on the market for it to count. And being the best selling phone doesn't actually add any real value to the phone anyway. Some people love Apple, some love their Android phone, both do pretty much the same things, so what do you get extra if Android sells better than Apple or vice-versa? Nothing. When BB10 comes out, it will not sell more phones than Apple or Android...and that means what?

I just don't get it.
    05-08-12 07:46 PM
    Even iOS can't beat Android let alone BB10.
    Beat how? Total number of devices? So what. iOS beats Android where it counts, the dollar dollar bill. iOS takes home the lion share of the profits.

In the end it's not how many Android devices are out there, it's how much the system makes.

At the end of the day, you count up your pennies and see who has the most. That's how you tell who got "beat".

Just Google: Apple takes home lion share in mobile profits.

Last edited by sinsin07; 05-08-12 at 07:57 PM.
    05-08-12 07:52 PM
    Beat how? Total number of devices? So what. iOS beats
    Just Google: Apple takes home lion share in mobile profits.
    ...so...what? Who cares, how much Google, Samsung or Apple makes? Do you get some special feature on the phone because they make all that cash?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-08-12 08:23 PM
    ...so...what? Who cares, how much Google, Samsung or Apple makes? Do you get some special feature on the phone because they make all that cash?
    It obviously concerns you, otherwise you would have posted after post 136. If the post is not to your liking, don't look.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05-08-12 at 08:32 PM.
    05-08-12 08:29 PM
    It obviously concerns you, otherwise you would have posted after post 136. If the post is not to your liking, don't look.
    Huh? I'm just asking a question...perhaps I should ask the age of the person I am responding to.
    05-08-12 08:37 PM
    How's the battery life on the 99XXs? From the tests I've seen, phones such as the GSII are every bit as good, if not better. The real test will be with the One X and the GSIII, which will be running on LTE networks when released in the States. As long as they can get through a day, with moderate to heavy usage, that's all that is needed. I've said this before and I'll say it again... unless you are for some reason without power overnight, no one needs a phone's charge to last multiple days. And, aside from old, small non-touchscreen BBs and "dumb" phones, that simply don't happen anytime soon.
    Right now my 9900 bridged to my Playbook lasts all day even with the Playbook using EAS on two gmail accounts through it, and thats with the JM1 battery only having 1230 mAH, and running HSPA+ all day too. I need to be able to get through a day at least like this. And I know that worse case I bump it down to Edge and it will still work fine and last for days. The battery is my biggest complaint with the 9900. I work with and play rugby with some guys that love Android devices and they always seem to have power issues (can't make it through a day), and they are technical people.

Nice try, better check the specs on that 9900 your carrying around. Why does it clock in at 10.5mm thickness and the Maxx is only 8.99mm?

What you were trying to say was that you'd replace the gas tank in your car with a bigger one to get better gas mileage. The problem with your comparison is that Motorola were able to nearly double their battery capacity in a smaller form factor than other devices.

A source of fuel (battery) and an engine (processor) in this case are two very different concepts. Since the BB has a single core processor and a display under 3 inches, it's no surprise that it lasts longer on a smaller battery (for the same reason that a lawn mower doesn't have the gas tank of an 18-wheeler).

Since your phone charges with electricity (thats what that set of three holes on your wall is for, btw) your gas mileage argument falls completely flat. Don't tell me how you're saving money on your electric bill by charging your BB every three days instead of two either.
    Yeah I did use a bad analogy. Realized it when I hit submit, but I wanted to get home so I didn't feel like going back in to edit it. As for your thickness reference, yes the Bold is thicker, but is still less in total volume and weight. If RIM had increased the volume some we could have had a bigger battery and more weight too. I'll be interested to see how BB10 phones with LTE do even though I don't want LTE. As for those 3 prongs in the wall and electricity, odds are its being produced by the burning of fosil fuels, and those chemicals and Lithium being used in the battery to store power don't just jump out of the ground either. Anyway enjoy your Android devices, because I enjoy my Blackberry devices and will be enjoying BB10 phone when available too.

Also I agree that Rim doesn't need to beat anyone. They simply need to keep grow and keep making profits. I don't need the bleeding edge stuff or buy 3 to 4 phones a year to function. I'd rather have one that works great and doesn't require me hacking or messing with it all the time so I have more time/money for family, rugby, motorcycles, cars, and beer.
    Last edited by lnichols; 05-08-12 at 08:51 PM.
    05-08-12 08:44 PM
    I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me here but ill just throw it out there.
    I used a couple of my friend's android phones (one was low end, the other was high end) and although Android is nice and customizable, it's really not that spectacular...
    It lags frequently, and when scrolling through different menus, it's no where as smooth as the Playbook (which will basically be the same as bb10) . I think people buy the iPhone cause the OS is pretty nice, but others only buy android to be different than the main streem or cause android was marketed with a more "fun" look to it, with the green little robot.
    People will see blackberry 10 as uniform, consistent, creative, professional, AND fun, which no doubt beats android simple "fun" image. You wouldn't see many professionals using an android device.
    IOS may still beat out BlackBerry 10, for a while anyway, but Android should be pretty scared right about now. I find that the Playbook is alot more fun to use than the iPad anyway, with all of the unique screen gestures.
    Plus, recent articles about iOS have pointed out that they haven't changed much in its 5 years of life, so maybe something new (BB10) will pull over some customers.
    Just my thoughts
    Three words: Ubuntu-for-Android.
    05-08-12 08:46 PM
271 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD