I don't think the majority of consumers are as concerned about security as a lot of BB users and RIM seem to be. Kind of like with the PC and windows. Just about everyone should know abut windows and viruses, yet it is still selling.

I just don't think the average consumer is all that concerned.if they really were, wouldn't things be different?
    Loads of people who smoke are not concerned about cancer. Empirical data proves them wrong.
    There are consumers who wish to protect their privacy, their contacts' privacy, and their financial information secure. I'm one.
    I don't make my decisions based on the foolish choices someone else makes. Security matters.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    05-08-12 01:28 PM
    Yeah it seems people on this site think bb is immune.

No OS is immune.

Numbers only - how many exploits and breaches are there on each of the major platforms on a quarterly basis?

Prove to me there are equal numbers between them all and I will call them equal.

BUT...the argument that BB is no better than or equal to the others is indefensible.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-08-12 01:36 PM
    on another note, the multi quote feature on the forum is pretty cool. It lets you quote multiple posts by different people all in one neat and tidy reply

yeah I went there. *snap snap*
    05-08-12 01:39 PM
    on another note, the multi quote feature on the forum is pretty cool. It lets you quote multiple posts by different people all in one neat and tidy reply

yeah I went there. *snap snap*
    Muuuuaaaahhhhh.....

I'm in bed and sick as a dog. I feel lazy.

Get me some tea?!?!
    05-08-12 01:42 PM
    RIM will be doing well if BB10 manages to survive at all in the face of its competition; BB10 overtaking Android is about as likely as the entire smartphone market spontaneously collapsing.

RIM's problem is that, at least so far, BB10 doesn't do anything that Android and iOS can't. If that's the case, then there won't be any reason for a consumer to choose a Blackberry over an iPhone or Android device, while several reasons exist for a consumer to make the opposite decision (iOS has a giant catalog of popular, high-quality apps; Android devices are available at every price point and in every form factor).

It's basically the same problem Microsoft has right now. Practically everyone agrees that WP7 is a very nice mobile OS, but it's hard to recommend a WP7 device over an iPhone or Android phone when the latter two devices have more robust app catalogs, and other superior features (iPhones have superior compatibility with other Apple devices; Android phones have seamless integration with Google services). RIM, like Microsoft, has to figure out what BB10's angle is. If RIM can figure out what BB10 offers that Apple and Google don't, then BB10 can maybe compete with Windows Phone. Frankly, it'll be a success for RIM if they can release just one really solid modern smartphone. Taking on Android is a pipe dream.
    _X_ likes this.
    05-08-12 01:42 PM
    Muuuuaaaahhhhh.....

Get me some tea?!?!
    oh great, first it was needy work spouses on top of my real wife asking me for stuff, and now I have to contend with forum wives too??? AAAAA!!
    05-08-12 01:44 PM
    oh great, first it was needy work spouses on top of my real wife asking me for stuff, and now I have to contend with forum wives too??? AAAAA!!
    Ppppppssssttt.....I don't want to marry you....

<steps away from angry guy lacking sense of humour>
    05-08-12 01:47 PM
    BB10 will beat Android? And on that day Satan shall ice skate to work.

BB10 may well be a nice system but it probably won't be enough to gat 60% of people to change.
    Agreed. But they don't HAVE to to regain some lost ground.
    Their target is different.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-08-12 01:53 PM
    Eh I honestly don't see why people say iPhones & Androids aren't "business" phones.
    I mean, yeah; Blackberry is more suitable LOOKING for business, but I know way more
    people with iPhones & Androids who are in the business world, than those with a Blackberry.

Also, whoever comes with the prices for the Blackberries should really consider dropping them.
    Why do they cost more than Androids and some iPhones? That's ridiculous & I also think that's
    a contributing factor to why they don't sell that much. People figure "why get a $250 Blackberry when I can get this android with a better camera, more apps, nice feel and look for $99?" But again, this is just my opinion lol.
    Are you talking about their personal phone that they had their work emails routed to? Lots of people at my company do that, but higher ups are always issued a BB.

This is a GREAT point about the price. But it's obviously the carrier's fault and not RIM's. Their phones are priced identically to other phones ($500-600 off contract), but for some reason the carriers are offering much lower subsidies on Blackberrys.

Just look at AT&T. They actually increased their profit this quarter by selling less iPhones because of the subsidies. This is totally absurd to me.

When the Bold 9900 came out, T-Mobile was selling it for $299. There was virtually no other phone selling for that price. They price it so ridiculously, then turn around and say "well we don't push Blackberrys because nobody wants them." (That's a quote from a friend who owns a Verizon store). Can we say self-fulfilling prophecy?

By the way, that is why every time my contract is up for renewal, I get Android phones on all our lines. I pay $0-99 and sell on eBay for $300-500 depending on the phone. Then I spend the money on a new or like-new no-contract Blackberry that would have otherwise costed $200-300 with the contract. I usually break even or make a few hundred...
    Last edited by xiaohuaxing; 05-08-12 at 02:12 PM.
    05-08-12 02:06 PM
    This is a ridiculous statement.

If BB10 were released last year, then maybe. If it were release today, the odds would be slim. But BB10 is still another 7 months away (at least) - there's no way it will beat Android. You can't make up that ground unless you have something ground-breaking and game-changing, which RIM doesn't have.
    Last edited by berklon; 05-08-12 at 02:17 PM.
    05-08-12 02:12 PM
    This is a ridiculous statement.

If BB10 were released last year, then maybe. If it were release today, the odds would be slim. But BB10 is still another 7 months away (at least) - there's no way it will beat Android. You can't make up that kind of distance unless you have something ground-breaking and game-changing, which RIM doesn't have.
    Playing devil's advocate.....how can you say what they don't have? That is as much conjecture as saying they will beat Android.
    Let's see what the new RIM produces before we shut the casket.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    05-08-12 02:16 PM
    And BlackBerry isn't immune. It's just that Android is the biggest target at the moment.

Major Browser Vulnerability Reported for Android, BlackBerry, iOS
    But your article says that Android was the only one proven to have "malware to be spreadable via this method."
    05-08-12 02:18 PM
    But your article says that Android was the only one proven to have "malware to be spreadable via this method."
    That doesn't mean that will always be the case. There wasn't much malware for OS X until recently, but it is picking up.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-08-12 02:20 PM
    Remember everyone's posts are just opinions so please don't begin arguing because of what others said. I created this thread for people to give there opinion, just like I did on the opening thread post. There are a lot of great points being made here, including ones that are quite different from mine. Very good discussion
    05-08-12 02:20 PM

Get me some tea?!?!
    Ooh ... If you came to CB in search of relief from whatever is ailing you, you're sicker than I thought. Better lay back down darlin', I'll get you that tea... and a little mild sedative.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 05-08-12 at 02:28 PM.
    05-08-12 02:25 PM
    Another addition to the RIM and BB10 Family...partnered with TomTom! BB10 will now have TomTom Nav integrated with Maps, Traffic, and open API to third-party developers!!! BB10 keeps getting better and better and keeps filling in the gaps!

For anyone saying they wont be a game changer, they have many talented companies combining very good software into one OS...this will be a powerhouse!
    05-08-12 02:28 PM
    Ooh ... If you came to CB in search of relief from whatever is ailing you, you're sicker than I thought. Better lay back down darlin', I'll get you that tea... and the electro-shock therapy kit.
    Get back on topic. I don't want this thread to die because people like you are having completely unrelated conversations. I encourage everyone to give their opinion but only if it's related to the topic of this thread. People read threads to get info about things and once they see unrelated comments like that, they will lose interest.
    05-08-12 02:29 PM
    Are you talking about their personal phone that they had their work emails routed to? Lots of people at my company do that, but higher ups are always issued a BB.

This is a GREAT point about the price. But it's obviously the carrier's fault and not RIM's. Their phones are priced identically to other phones ($500-600 off contract), but for some reason the carriers are offering much lower subsidies on Blackberrys.

Just look at AT&T. They actually increased their profit this quarter by selling less iPhones because of the subsidies. This is totally absurd to me.

When the Bold 9900 came out, T-Mobile was selling it for $299. There was virtually no other phone selling for that price. They price it so ridiculously, then turn around and say "well we don't push Blackberrys because nobody wants them." (That's a quote from a friend who owns a Verizon store). Can we say self-fulfilling prophecy?

By the way, that is why every time my contract is up for renewal, I get Android phones on all our lines. I pay $0-99 and sell on eBay for $300-500 depending on the phone. Then I spend the money on a new or like-new no-contract Blackberry that would have otherwise costed $200-300 with the contract. I usually break even or make a few hundred...
    Yes but Blackberry is also then only device that the carrier has to pay the manufacturer (RIM) a $5 monthly fee per BIS user for the customer to be able to access the Internet, e-mail,etc. Android and iOS do not require a monthly fee. So with Apples ridiculously high subsidy, and RIM's $120 service fee per user per two year contract, is it hard to see why Android, or even Windows Phone gets more push from the carriers? You think maybe that's why Blackberry phones gets less of a subsidy to cover that fee? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, RIM needs to dump the BIS and BES carrier taxes with BB10 and make those services no cost.
    05-08-12 03:20 PM
    I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me here but ill just throw it out there.
    I used a couple of my friend's android phones (one was low end, the other was high end) and although Android is nice and customizable, it's really not that spectacular...
    It lags frequently, and when scrolling through different menus, it's no where as smooth as the Playbook (which will basically be the same as bb10) . I think people buy the iPhone cause the OS is pretty nice, but others only buy android to be different than the main streem or cause android was marketed with a more "fun" look to it, with the green little robot.
    People will see blackberry 10 as uniform, consistent, creative, professional, AND fun, which no doubt beats android simple "fun" image. You wouldn't see many professionals using an android device.
    IOS may still beat out BlackBerry 10, for a while anyway, but Android should be pretty scared right about now. I find that the Playbook is alot more fun to use than the iPad anyway, with all of the unique screen gestures.
    Plus, recent articles about iOS have pointed out that they haven't changed much in its 5 years of life, so maybe something new (BB10) will pull over some customers.
    Just my thoughts
    I was just reviewing some of the Android phones like the new HTC One and a couple of others (Galaxy Series). I am not certain where you get your optimism, but reading some of the user reviews of their phones and the things the phones can do now and the specs - I was left really hoping that BB10 can/will indeed measure up (by that time Android may have released 2 more phones and Apple the iphone 5.

We are talking about Android phones that are out right now (they are like Super Phones), who knows what they will have in a few months - they are not standing still. The battery life was the universal gripe or rather lack thereof. BB10 will have its work cut out to wow and attract people.

The question being asked now is whether Apple can keep ahead of Android. Some are talking about ditching their iphone for Android. BB isn't even mentioned in the same breath.
    Anything can happen of course, so I hope you are right. 6 months might as well be 6 years in technology smartphone years.
    05-08-12 03:27 PM
    Get back on topic. I don't want this thread to die because people like you are having completely unrelated conversations. I encourage everyone to give their opinion but only if it's related to the topic of this thread. People read threads to get info about things and once they see unrelated comments like that, they will lose interest.
    He was interjecting a little humor, is that so bad? Besides, the joke he went off topic on was a tiny non issue, that I wouldn't have even noticed it if you hadn't brought it up
    05-08-12 03:29 PM
    I was just reviewing some of the Android phones like the new HTC One and a couple of others (Galaxy Series). I am not certain where you get your optimism, but reading some of the user reviews of their phones and the things the phones can do now and the specs - I was left really hoping that BB10 can/will indeed measure up (by that time Android may have released 2 more phones and Apple the iphone 5.

We are talking about Android phones that are out right now (they are like Super Phones), who knows what they will have in a few months - they are not standing still. The battery life was the universal gripe or rather lack thereof. BB10 will have its work cut out to wow and attract people.

The question being asked now is whether Apple can keep ahead of Android. Some are talking about ditching their iphone for Android. BB isn't even mentioned in the same breath.
    Anything can happen of course, so I hope you are right. 6 months might as well be 6 years in technology smartphone years.
    Check out some of the things Android is doing with battery life like the Droid RAZR Maxx for example.

Also, Apple hasn't been ahead of Android for a long time now. Not sure where you got that idea.

Yes, 6 months is like 6 years with Android. There will probably be at least 10 more Android devices released minimum before BB10 sees the light of day. Are you listening RIM?
    Premium1 and Nashstruck like this.
    05-08-12 03:56 PM
    Check out some of the things Android is doing with battery life like the Droid RAZR Maxx for example.
    So installing a 3300 mAh battery, almost twice the capacity of the Droid Razr, is doing something with battery life? Think I'll replace straight six in my car with a V12 that is twice the displacement to get better gas mileage!
    05-08-12 04:10 PM

Also, Apple hasn't been ahead of Android for a long time now. Not sure where you got that idea.

Yes, 6 months is like 6 years with Android. There will probably be at least 10 more Android devices released minimum before BB10 sees the light of day. Are you listening RIM?
    Now don't get me wrong here - I am rooting for BB10 to be successful. I'm a fan of being able to have a phone made my a manufacturer that makes their own OS. But not Apple, just dislike them, nothing personal.

But I'm not as wildly excited about it as many people here are. I simply don't think it's going to anything more than a very nice phone. I don't really think it's going to be all that ground breaking. But that's ok with me, I'm quite fine with it being as-good-as the other guys.

But just for personal giggles, I'm in the process of taking each core feature of BB10 that gets leaked, and I'm using an older version of Android to mimic it. So far I've been able to copy the unified inbox, the app screen, and that tiled home screen.
    05-08-12 04:11 PM
    Didn't Motorola just put a higher capcity battery in and called it the MAXX? I didn't think there was any special technology or tuning behind it (?).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-08-12 04:13 PM
    So installing a 3300 mAh battery, almost twice the capacity of the Droid Razr, is doing something with battery life? Think I'll replace straight six in my car with a V12 that is twice the displacement to get better gas mileage!
    How's the battery life on the 99XXs? From the tests I've seen, phones such as the GSII are every bit as good, if not better. The real test will be with the One X and the GSIII, which will be running on LTE networks when released in the States. As long as they can get through a day, with moderate to heavy usage, that's all that is needed. I've said this before and I'll say it again... unless you are for some reason without power overnight, no one needs a phone's charge to last multiple days. And, aside from old, small non-touchscreen BBs and "dumb" phones, that simply don't happen anytime soon.
    05-08-12 04:17 PM
271 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD