It's hard to get people to change especially those who have a lot invested in one platform through apps, etc. free apps don't matter its those who paid and don't want to lose those paid apps. Bb should give free app world credit with purchase of bb10 devices
    Yes it is ... for those using apps. (IMHO) Incentive can be a tool, but won't make the difference by itself. 5 apps is around $15-20, compared to the device price (which won't be cheap for BB10 devices) can't be that much a break. For general users, we're talking about novelty and sexiness, for companies about ROI and security.

Edited :Plus don't forget a large number of "apps" will be native in BB10 ...
    05-08-12 07:10 AM
    I respect that the OP made it clear that this thread is pure opinion, but based on market trends, and how people's preferences are currently as of right now, if BB10 were to surpass Android it would take at least a full year to turn people around. If BB10 (and the upcoming WP8) cause a shift in trends, it's not going to happen until 2014, after those devices have been out in people's hands for a year. As it stands right now, the Android OS is in the lead. It's going to take a heavy shift in trends to change that. In order for that to happen, Blackberry would have to leap all the way from last place to first, which would take nothing short of a miracle.

Thorstein knows this and has even stated as much when he said he's not trying to race RIM to the front, but wants to ensure they remain a solid player in the field. That's a much more realistic approach, and one that would make most BB people happy, as well as wooing some others.
    Morty2264 and Premium1 like this.
    05-08-12 08:57 AM
    Beat Android in terms of sales? Not going to happen for a while since Android has sheer numbers on their side. It's the default OS for anybody that wants to sell hardware without developing their own software. However, if RIM were to license BB10, they have a shot at making a dent in those numbers given enough time.

Beat Android in terms of being a "better" OS? Purely subjective depending on usage and expectations, and like it or not at the end of the day, the consumer is going to decide that by buying what they want.

I like what I saw at BBW and i think it'll be a kick a$$ device, but it's too soon to declare RIM a champion again and the "death" of Android based on a preview.
    05-08-12 10:37 AM
    Android has super customization but it is never consistent and the performance isn't reliable.
    05-08-12 10:40 AM
    I respect that the OP made it clear that this thread is pure opinion, but based on market trends, and how people's preferences are currently as of right now, if BB10 were to surpass Android it would take at least a full year to turn people around. If BB10 (and the upcoming WP8) cause a shift in trends, it's not going to happen until 2014, after those devices have been out in people's hands for a year. As it stands right now, the Android OS is in the lead. It's going to take a heavy shift in trends to change that. In order for that to happen, Blackberry would have to leap all the way from last place to first, which would take nothing short of a miracle.

Thorstein knows this and has even stated as much when he said he's not trying to race RIM to the front, but wants to ensure they remain a solid player in the field. That's a much more realistic approach, and one that would make most BB people happy, as well as wooing some others.
    Assuming the Smartphone market is saturated and only market churn puts an OS in the hands of people. Right now Smartphone market is only 15-20% globally.

That leaves a huge population of feature phone users who are not familiar with Android, iOS and the upcoming BB10. Neither are they invested with any ecosystem as yet.

So there is ample scope for New OSes going in the hands of new owners. If the tech industry has taught us anything its that success and domination is very fleeting. In the previous 5 yrs alone, Apple unseated BBOS and then Android unseated iOS.
    And to those who analyse past trends to predict the future, past events have no bearing on future events. The are independent events.
    05-08-12 10:41 AM
    In terms of OS, BB10 will be a better mobile OS overall. In terms of popularity, RIM has a long uphill in front of them.
    05-08-12 11:02 AM
    all your friends are on facebook so why do you need blackberry messenger? a blackberry cannot do as much for you as the other three operating systems can. if you ask yourself why you keep a blackberry you'll realize its because blackberry was your first phone so it became like your first love or you didnt need a smartphone to begin with.

there is nothing that a blackberry can do that one of the other three better operating systems cannot do and do it in a superior way too...and plus some.you wouldnt buy a phone that can't do anything so devs play a HUGE ROLE in whether the phone sells or not. a BB10 phone wont even come close to Windows Mango sales because operating systems as good as this one didn't start copying the competition before it even came out. RIM needs to innovate or theyll just roll over and die
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 11:13 AM
    In terms of OS, BB10 will be a better mobile OS overall.
    I love comments like this. Nobody will know until we actually see the OS outside of 2-3 controlled environment demos.
    JtothaR likes this.
    05-08-12 11:16 AM
    Assuming the Smartphone market is saturated and only market churn puts an OS in the hands of people. Right now Smartphone market is only 15-20% globally.

That leaves a huge population of feature phone users who are not familiar with Android, iOS and the upcoming BB10. Neither are they invested with any ecosystem as yet
    As far as the other 80% globally who aren't yet part of the smartphone market... that's not going to change for several more years. Unless you happen to think that there's suddenly going to be a massive surge of hundreds of millions of smartphones into underdeveloped nations..
    So there is ample scope for New OSes going in the hands of new owners. If the tech industry has taught us anything its that success and domination is very fleeting. In the previous 5 yrs alone, Apple unseated BBOS and then Android unseated iOS.
    And to those who analyse past trends to predict the future, past events have no bearing on future events. The are independent events
    Apple took at least a year to unseat BB, and the same goes for Android. If you read my post again, that's the same time frame I said it would take BB10 to accomplish the same thing. What differs from then and now is that Android and iOS are now fully fledged and developed ecosystems that you have to go to war against. iOS didn't have much to compete against in terms of "new". Android only had iOS to compete against. Anyone coming onto the scene now has to compete against both.
    05-08-12 11:17 AM
    I also think that people with Android and iPhones will stick to their phone without the growth of an app ecosystem. BUT will the android app store compatible on the PlayBook, if RIM can make it available on BB10, the Android market could grow way more than Apple's, making BB10 an interesting alternative to iPhones and Androids, then the OS comes in and could make a lot of Apple and Android fans turn up to BB.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-08-12 11:22 AM
    You can't forget BB10 will be the best of both worlds BB and Android allowing us to use their apps, and with the new camera API coming in the next PB update even more android apps, so they wont essentially be missing apps if they leave android. Android is like a middle man btwn bb and iOS, alot of ppl get it because they're BB was acting up and drop it for iOS in a heart beat or another platform as shown in that WPCentral survey. Also with stuff like this happening (http://http://www.mobiledia.com/news/141837.html)
    A new virus is infecting Android devices, the latest in a persistent threat to Google's operating system.

The new Trojan virus, called "NotCompatible," downloads automatically to users' phones and tablets without their knowledge upon visiting certain websites, according to security firm Lookout. Once a person's device gets infected, all personal information on the handset is at risk to the hackers behind the virus.

Analysts say the threat on Android devices is not widespread at this point, but the fact that a virus can be downloaded through a mobile browser at all is damaging to the platform and could widen the threat of malware to a bigger pool of users. Malware issues within the Android Market have plagued Google's OS for some time, but users could steer clear of threats by making sure their downloaded apps were legitimate.

This new Android virus can hide in Web pages that users visit all the time, leaving all users susceptible to malware without any warning. NotCompatible has only popped up on websites with very little traffic. However, if hackers are able to affect larger sites visited by millions everyday, the Android platform will have a tremendous black eye that may drive off current users and scare away new ones.

Android has a history of issues with viruses that only seems like it's getting worse, but its competitors have nearly pristine reputations. Apple's iOS has a clean record for a mobile platform, and Microsoft's Windows Phone, beginning to emerge as a real player in the market, has shown very little permeability.

Google's OS is still the market share leader in smartphones, but if it can't contain viruses through its mobile browser, its numbers will take a severe hit as customers turn to Apple and Microsoft.

The timing of viruses affecting Android devices through Web browsers couldn't be worse for Google's planned venture into tablets, which will likely find large amounts of users clicking on websites and downloading apps and media. The company is planning on diving deep into the tablet market later this year with Android 4.0 powered devices, but consumer fears about viruses could put a serious damper on those plans.

In the past, Google has fought malware in the Android Market with its Bouncer software, and has defended its OS from claims that it's prone to viruses. However, the steps the company has taken to fix the problem with its apps thus far have been unsuccessful, and issues that continue to pop up suggest the problem is as bad as critics say.

Google needs to get out in front of the this Android virus issue and assure users they won't continue to fall victim, or it runs the risk of its mobile platform becoming the ultimate casualty.
    once that news start to spread ppl will start to become skeptical about the Android OS.

But lets wait for BB10 and see. Personally i think it will be a hit, they're making great partnerships and acquiring outstanding companies.
    Last edited by sirfly2fly; 05-08-12 at 11:31 AM.
    05-08-12 11:27 AM
    It is a very ambitious goal of RIM to match Android's OS , if they can accomplish that , it would be a quite a feat
    05-08-12 11:28 AM
    I don't know a timeframe, I'm not familiar with how long those types of things take. It all depends on the releases of bb10 as well as new Android phones and OS's. Innovation us obviously in RIM's mind, look at blackberry world. Features that have never even been discussed before. Also, they will have a rich ecosystem of apps....don't you remember the money incentive for creating quality apps with cascades? Keep in mind these are just my thoughts, I'm not saying I'm right. It's all opinion.
    Both iOS and Android have been in the works since 2004-2005. They were released 2007-2008 respectively.

I'm going to take a wild guess that BB 10 has not been in the works since 2009.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 11:30 AM
    I used a couple of my friend's android phones
    Gosh I hate these kinds of comments so much. It read "I'm very biased and I've spent enough time just to find out how I can diss a competing OS." If you are truly going to test drive a different OS then take the time to do so, for me it's a week, and quit pretending you've done some unbiased analysis.

I think people buy the iPhone cause the OS is pretty nice, but others only buy android to be different than the main streem or cause android was marketed with a more "fun" look to it, with the green little robot.
    Are you serious? Android owns the largest market share in the world. It owns 50-60% of the market depending on what region you live in. It IS main stream.

The reason people are buying Android phones is because it fits the needs of it's users. There is a multitude of vendor support and different hardware variations. There are different targets like high end models, low end models. With BB or iPhone you get one major form factor and that's it.

>>>>>>> MY STORY >>>>>>>
    A few years back I made the switch from BB to Android. At the time I was also a pretty staunch BB user and like most people here considered iOS and Android as (kiddi OSes). BB was for serious folks.

So why did I switch, because all OS have their short comings and BB was no different. Having to constantly battery pull my device was getting old. I had bought my wife a kiddi phone (HTC Eris--Android) and realized Android had some really nice features in addition to apps which where cheaper, better quality and just more of a selection).

When I switched I'll admit I hated my Android phone. There where just sooo many gaping holes after day two I was ready to return my phone for a BB. No way to sync Outlook to my phone, Android did not have a default ToDo list, no default note pad, nor spell checker, copy/paste was a joke.
    I realized there was a huge paradigm shift in the two devices and to do an honest assessment I had to find out Androids paradigm and not force it to my way (or really the BB way). So I spent some time doing some research and found alternatives. But these where just not substitutes these solutions where far far better than what BB provided.

A bought an app called gSyncit which synced my outlook to Google's (calender/docs/todo). This was a diamond in the rough. It gave me a feature that never existed in BB and that was to sync all my data over the net(WiFi/3G) w/o having to sync to a PC. I found that the Market(Play) had a great selection of ToDo apps and Notepad apps, apps that offered better functionality than existed in my BB. Then key my keyboard experience. I thought BB was king of the keyboard only to find out swype offered a better experience. I didn't need spell checkers as much because the text prediction was so good and the keyboard typing was much better using Swype.

By the end of the week, I realized I could not go back to BB the Android experience proved to be better for me, sure there was some lacking features(Copy-Paste, text select, spellcheck) -- Android 4.0 has fixed this and now is the best experience over iOS and BB)

The point is don't pick an OS and defend it blindly. Give them an honest try and see if it suits you better. In the end these devices are nothing more than tools that should enhance our experience not limit them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ANSWERING THE ORIGINAL QUESTION
    No I don't think BB at this time can dethrone Android. They had the moment in the spot light and chose to squander it. They are limited in resource and size it will be very hard from them to compete against giants like Android, iOS and Microsoft.

My feeling is that the only real competitor to Android is Microsoft. They fit in the middle of iOS and Android. They will have the ability to offer a variety of hardware like Android but also have control over the implementation like iOS. They also have deep pockets and a deep infrastructure to compete.

=X=
    ubizmo and world boss like this.
    05-08-12 12:06 PM
    A new virus is infecting Android devices Windows PCs, the latest in a persistent threat to Google's Microsoft's operating system.

The new Trojan virus, called "NotCompatible," "ILOVEYOU" downloads automatically to users' phones Desktops and tablets Laptops without their knowledge upon visiting certain websites opening certain e-mails, according to security firm Lookout. Once a person's device gets infected, all personal information on the handset PC is at risk to the hackers behind the virus.

Analysts say the threat on Android Microsoft Windows devices is not widespread at this point, but the fact that a virus can be downloaded through a mobile browser E-mail at all is damaging to the platform and could widen the threat of malware to a bigger pool of users. Malware issues within the Android Market Windows OS have plagued Google's Microsoft's OS for some time, but users could steer clear of threats by making sure their downloaded apps were legitimate.

This new Android Windows virus can hide in Web pages that users visit all the time, leaving all users susceptible to malware without any warning. NotCompatible "ILOVEYOU" has only popped up on websites E-mails with very little traffic. However, if hackers are able to affect larger sites visited by millions everyday, the Android Windows platform will have a tremendous black eye that may drive off current users and scare away new ones.

Android Windows has a history of issues with viruses that only seems like it's getting worse, but its competitors have nearly pristine reputations. Apple's iOS Mac OS has a clean record for a mobile desktop platform, and Microsoft's Windows Phone Linux, beginning to emerge as a real player in the market, has shown very little permeability.

Google's Microsoft's OS is still the market share leader in smartphones PCs, but if it can't contain viruses through its mobile browser Outlook Inbox, its numbers will take a severe hit as customers turn to Apple and Microsoft Linux.

The timing of viruses affecting Android Microsoft devices through Web browsers couldn't be worse for Google's Microsoft's planned venture into tablets, which will likely find large amounts of users clicking on websites and downloading apps and media. The company is planning on diving deep into the tablet market later this year with Android 4.0 Windows XP Tablet Edition powered devices, but consumer fears about viruses could put a serious damper on those plans.

In the past, Google Microsoft has fought malware in the Android PC Market with its Bouncer Windows Firewall software, and has defended its OS from claims that it's prone to viruses. However, the steps the company has taken to fix the problem with its apps thus far have been unsuccessful, and issues that continue to pop up suggest the problem is as bad as critics say.

Google Microsoft needs to get out in front of the this Android Windows virus issue and assure users they won't continue to fall victim, or it runs the risk of its mobile desktop platform becoming the ultimate casualty.
    Fixed that for you.

BTW, Microsoft wen't under soon after the year 2002 and was dominated by SunOS the world over. Oh wait, no it didn't.
    Laura Knotek and Premium1 like this.
    05-08-12 12:12 PM
    You can't forget BB10 will be the best of both worlds BB and Android allowing us to use their apps, and with the new camera API coming in the next PB update even more android apps, so they wont essentially be missing apps if they leave android. Android is like a middle man btwn bb and iOS, alot of ppl get it because they're BB was acting up and drop it for iOS in a heart beat or another platform as shown in that WPCentral survey. Also with stuff like this happening (http://http://www.mobiledia.com/news/141837.html) once that news start to spread ppl will start to become skeptical about the Android OS.

But lets wait for BB10 and see. Personally i think it will be a hit, they're making great partnerships and acquiring outstanding companies.
    I am not trying to disagree with your quote; but from which source did you obtain this information? Androids having viruses like this is quite disconcerting.

Wait - I'll check out the links you gave.
    05-08-12 12:19 PM
    You can't forget BB10 will be the best of both worlds BB and Android allowing us to use their apps, and with the new camera API coming in the next PB update even more android apps, so they wont essentially be missing apps if they leave android. Android is like a middle man btwn bb and iOS, alot of ppl get it because they're BB was acting up and drop it for iOS in a heart beat or another platform as shown in that WPCentral survey. Also with stuff like this happening (http://http://www.mobiledia.com/news/141837.html) once that news start to spread ppl will start to become skeptical about the Android OS.

This has been known for awhile and still no mass exodus...
    05-08-12 12:26 PM
    This has been known for awhile and still no mass exodus...
    And BlackBerry isn't immune. It's just that Android is the biggest target at the moment.

Major Browser Vulnerability Reported for Android, BlackBerry, iOS
    avt123 and Premium1 like this.
    05-08-12 12:35 PM
    And BlackBerry isn't immune. It's just that Android is the biggest target at the moment.

Major Browser Vulnerability Reported for Android, BlackBerry, iOS
    Yeah it seems people on this site think bb is immune.
    05-08-12 12:37 PM
    don't worry guys I found a program that'll block it from your phone:

Don't visit porn sites on your phone.exe

seriously... what kind of websites are you going to that would even carry a trojan?
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-08-12 01:01 PM
    don't worry guys I found a program that'll block it from your phone:

Don't visit porn sites on your phone.exe

seriously... what kind of websites are you going to that would even carry a trojan?
    Need to stay away from religious sites too. Religious Sites Carry More Malware Than Porn Sites, Security Firm Reports | PCWorld
    05-08-12 01:03 PM
    Good thing these two types of sites I don't visit
    05-08-12 01:05 PM
    same thing
    05-08-12 01:05 PM
    I don't think the majority of consumers are as concerned about security as a lot of BB users and RIM seem to be. Kind of like with the PC and windows. Just about everyone should know abut windows and viruses, yet it is still selling.

I just don't think the average consumer is all that concerned.if they really were, wouldn't things be different?
    05-08-12 01:08 PM
    Android has super customization but it is never consistent and the performance isn't reliable.
    A year and a half ago, when I bought my Atrix, I would have agreed.

However.....my Skyrocket has proven to be *more* reliable than my 9930.
    05-08-12 01:23 PM
271 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD