What RIM should do is release a partial list of some of the top apps that are being released for the platform.
    If there are top apps being developed, then they should let everyone know.
    Maybe list all of the top apps from Google and Apple's apps stores and list which ones of those have apps written for BB10.
    This will allay the fear that there will not be good apps available.
    Numbers don't matter but quality does.
    08-15-12 01:43 PM
    I'm sure you will see this closer to when they release BB10 phones
    08-15-12 04:15 PM
    Maybe you should pitch that idea to the CEO..
    08-15-12 05:33 PM
    I'm hoping that we will know which apps will be available for BB10. Time will tell.
    08-15-12 07:34 PM
    What RIM should do is release a partial list of some of the top apps that are being released for the platform.

If there are top apps being developed, then they should let everyone know.

Maybe list all of the top apps from Google and Apple's apps stores and list which ones of those have apps written for BB10.

This will allay the fear that there will not be good apps available.

Numbers don't matter but quality does.

Absolutely correct. Since big name apps and numbers seem to be such a critical point for the average consumer and half-wit tech news writers on pre-biased sites, it would be a strong point of make or break for our dear doom-preachers.

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-15-12 07:54 PM
    I just hope they have some of the big name developers and apps on board. The ones people here seem to care so much about it don't personally but it'll help sales I'm sure.
    08-15-12 08:17 PM
    I think they should do it as soon an possible.
    People are saying that the ecosystem is important and that people want apps too, not just a great OS or hardware.
    If they can say "We will have 'Angry Birds' at the launch", then people who feel 'Angry Birds' is a make or break deal for the ecosystem will not worry.
    Same goes with other apps.
    Doing it as soon as possible may stop the nay saying and defections. Showing that they will have 90% of the most popular apps, for instance, seems to be very important. As important as proving the new phones will be out in January.
    08-15-12 08:33 PM
    I disagree with this.

So RIM should list some apps that are already available and people have been using on other platforms for a long time, but won't be available for BlackBerry for another 5 to 6 months?

Consumers aren't dumb, they know that technology is old by the time you buy it and there will always be something better down the road. Why would anyone want to wait for something that is already available. That makes zero sense...

I believe RIM should talk about some of the new features and other app ideas that no one else has in the industry. They just need to do it carefully so Apple and Google don't do it faster and better.

Honestly, I don't think they should be talking too much about BB10 in the first place (other than with developers). Wait a few more months and then start leaking things slowly, finally building up to some real release dates.

I want to see the BB10 phones, and I want to know all about them, but I don't want RIM to screw this up again.
    08-15-12 09:10 PM
    I think its a nice idea, but I doubt it'll help much. Most people I know don't research what they buy. They buy first and then look for the apps they want. Or they base their impression on playing with the demo phones at carriers store. Which should be loaded up with tons of apps, to show people what is available.

Its a cycle. Without people buying the phone, developers don't see the market to develop for that platform. If there are no apps that people want, people won't buy the phone, or even after buying it, might sell it off. So on and so forth.

The website is a nice idea. Or simply a page for people to request for apps. Post the app you want and people can vote for it. RIM can just inform the developer how much interest there is for their app.

But no matter what, RIM still need BB10 to be a fantastic product first.

Sent from my RIMpire BlackBerry using the force
    08-15-12 10:20 PM
    This idea is great if you are preaching to the converted so to speak.....for the general users..... my thoughts are if you start listing what is scheduled to come... all you do is highlight how inadequate the app situation currently is.... it would smack of desparation.... would be much better if RIM pulls an Apple... keep and guessing and "wow" them at launch.....
    08-15-12 10:28 PM
    I'd rather avoid the defections in the meantime by telling them that the apps they want on the iPhone will be on the new BB10 phones so don't leave because of that.
    A lot of people are leaving due to the view that there are not as many apps available in the BB ecosystem and assuaging that fear is the way to go. I might also be useful for tech writers who go on and on about this topic.
    08-15-12 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD