I constantly see people say BB10 would have been a great OS some years ago? Do they know of features we don't?

I don't know of a current OS or future OS(iOS6, JB 4.1, WP8) that will allow you to share screens while on a phone call (jailbroken or not) and we havent scratched the surface of what the BB10 OS will be capable of, they acquired companies that they have yet to show their involvement in BB10..iOS plans to put Siri in cars but why not they're whole OS??

And also, other than apps the competition have been showing, what OS is very capable of being given the title of a "next-gen" OS, bringing apps as advanced as the OS itself. For anyone developing an app do you feel your BB10 app is more advanced than that of another OS??
    06-29-12 11:23 AM
    I think it is mainly because of media... About Siri, what I understood was that there will be a dedicated button and it will connect to the iPhone by bluetooth. I can't really answer the other things because I am no expert, sorry.
    06-29-12 08:49 PM
    Most of the competition (WP8 is the exception) is already in the market. That's a huge advantage for consumers and app developers.

It wouldn't matter how advanced a developers BB 10 app was, he/she can't sell it to anyone for at least 9 months (possibly never).
    kennyliu and Prey521 like this.
    06-29-12 08:52 PM
    Yep, who cares what it can potentially do....right now, it can't do a damn thing and that's what matters.
    06-29-12 09:03 PM
    I constantly see people say BB10 would have been a great OS some years ago? Do they know of features we don't?

I don't know of a current OS or future OS(iOS6, JB 4.1, WP8) that will allow you to share screens while on a phone call (jailbroken or not) and we havent scratched the surface of what the BB10 OS will be capable of, they acquired companies that they have yet to show their involvement in BB10..iOS plans to put Siri in cars but why not they're whole OS??

And also, other than apps the competition have been showing, what OS is very capable of being given the title of a "next-gen" OS, bringing apps as advanced as the OS itself. For anyone developing an app do you feel your BB10 app is more advanced than that of another OS??
    I'll answer the questions, unlike all the others.

I think there are things happening that nobody outside of RIM knows. They've brought on board some incredible talent. Will it be better than the other three? Probably in some ways, but definitely not every way. Heck, it might still lack some popular features for all we know.

I think if the launch succeeds (note that I'm not in the "it will never launch" group) I think it could really help. And it doesn't have to outsell everything else to succeed either - there are new phone buyers all the time and some might pick one up in the store and say "hey, this is a sweet phone!"

06-29-12 09:15 PM

Well when you say we haven't scratched the surface of what it's capable of, that's just another way of saying we have no idea what it does. What does BB10 offer that other phones have? Right now it has nothing, because it doesn't exist.

"next-gen" "advanced" etc are just buzzwords to describe how they're ditching the old java based OS that they should have abandoned years ago. It's going to improve the quality of the apps we get so that they're equal to other platforms, and make developers want to work for blackberry like they already do on iOS and Android. It's a catch up move. So unfortunately, the majority of BB10 is reactionary, not innovative.

What have they promised that's actually innovative?
    - sick virtual keyboard that has already been copied by jailbroken iOS and probably has Android equivalents
    - Scalado camera technology that has been acquired by Nokia and will thus be executed better and more consistently on their phones.
    - sharing screens during a call

And we don't know if any of these have yet to make it into the OS.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-30-12 12:20 AM
    Well when you say we haven't scratched the surface of what it's capable of, that's just another way of saying we have no idea what it does. What does BB10 offer that other phones have? Right now it has nothing, because it doesn't exist.

"next-gen" "advanced" etc are just buzzwords to describe how they're ditching the old java based OS that they should have abandoned years ago. It's going to improve the quality of the apps we get so that they're equal to other platforms, and make developers want to work for blackberry like they already do on iOS and Android. It's a catch up move. So unfortunately, the majority of BB10 is reactionary, not innovative.

What have they promised that's actually innovative?
    - sick virtual keyboard that has already been copied by jailbroken iOS and probably has Android equivalents
    - Scalado camera technology that has been acquired by Nokia and will thus be executed better and more consistently on their phones.
    - sharing screens during a call

And we don't know if any of these have yet to make it into the OS.
    Yep. The virtual keyboard is nothing revolutionary. Jelly Bean already got something similar.

Scalado Rewind was demoed almost a year ago as far as I remember.

I am not sure about screen sharing being an innovation. I don't know what exactly it does, but webOS had something similar. Watch the below video at 3:30:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGbeakalXa4[/YT]

Edit: That Russel guy is so hilarious.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-30-12 at 12:45 AM.
    06-30-12 12:36 AM
    RIM needs to move out of the hardware division and just stick to software.
    06-30-12 12:51 AM
    What's are some of these features that BB10 has that are so much better than what the others OS's have or will have that we know of?
    06-30-12 12:53 AM
    RIM needs to move out of the hardware division and just stick to software.

Not a good idea, because right now they have no software to license or open source.

RIM: Hey Samsung do you wanna make some devices for our new BB10 software?

Samsung: Sure can we see it?

RIM: Well it's harder than we expected so it'll be ready in Q1 2013...or maybe Q2...let's say latter half of 2013.

*click*

RIM: Hey HTC...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    ADGrant likes this.
    06-30-12 01:34 PM

I am not sure about screen sharing being an innovation. I don't know what exactly it does, but webOS had something similar. Watch the below video at 3:30:

Edit: That Russel guy is so hilarious.
    From what I understood you could share you're device's screen while in a call, using the data plan or wi-fi, don't really know, but now that I see how WebOS is I see it's almost identical in many features to BlackBerry PlayBook OS, didn't the get sued?
    06-30-12 11:21 PM
    Iphones are crap, for sure. It can't even sync Google Contacts and it is the most widely used contact system. BB10 will save our lives literally, if not I will go Android or Windows Phone...

Whatsapp works best on BB, and there is BBM...Email is the best on BB...

RIM better not quit on BB...
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-30-12 at 11:30 PM.
    06-30-12 11:28 PM
    From what I understood you could share you're device's screen while in a call, using the data plan or wi-fi, don't really know, but now that I see how WebOS is I see it's almost identical in many features to BlackBerry PlayBook OS, didn't the get sued?
    They could have, as there is an HP/Palm patent for the UI (called "cards"). However, HP was probably preocupied with other problems at that time.
    06-30-12 11:28 PM
    Iphones are crap, for sure. It can't even sync Google Contacts and it is the most widely used contact system. BB10 will save our lives literally, if not I will go Android or Windows Phone...

WTF are you talking about? My Google contacts were syncing perfectly fine to my iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G.

Sounds like you need to do some research. BB10 wont save your life, a Google search will.

Stop spreading false information please.
    kevinnugent, tack and Moonbase0ne like this.
    06-30-12 11:37 PM
    WTF are you talking about? My Google contacts were syncing perfectly fine to my iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G.

Sounds like you need to do some research. BB10 wont save your life, a Google search will.

Stop spreading false information please.
    How did you sync your Google Contacts on your iphone, if I may ask?

By Sync I mean saving and loading, it's TWO WAY...

I just tried finding a native Google Contacts option in the settings menu on my Iphone and I didn't find one, so how was I wrong?

Don't tell me you need Microsoft Exchange, that does not count...or a third party app. I mean, Native support....
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-30-12 at 11:46 PM.
    06-30-12 11:41 PM
    How did you sync your Google Contacts on your iphone, if I may ask?

By Sync I mean saving and loading, it's TWO WAY...
    Set up your Google account through the Exchange option and only select to sync contacts if that's all you want out of it.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help
    06-30-12 11:44 PM
    Set up your Google account through the Exchange option and only select to sync contacts if that's all you want out of it.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help
    Exchange option does not count...Native support should be included on Iphone, given its popularity.
    06-30-12 11:48 PM
    Exchange option does not count...Native support should be included on Iphone, given its popularity.
    What? Exchange is native on the iPhone. All you have to do is login. You do not need an Exchange server or an Exchange account, Google takes care of that for you. This syncs with your entire contact list. Or, you can show just the Google contacts and disable using the "on phone" contact list all together.

Are you serious right? First, you say it doesn't have it. Then, I tell you exactly how to do it and provide a link with instructions and factual information, and you tell me "that doesn't count".

Anything else you have to say that is wrong that needs to be cleared up?
    06-30-12 11:53 PM
    A specifically Google option and not through Exchange is what I'm referring to.
    06-30-12 11:56 PM

Email is subjective. I prefer the iPhone for some things/ the bb for others...bbm is not a selling factor (well not a big one here in the us)...bb10 will save our lives literally?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 11:57 PM
    Moot point... BB10 is not out so comparing is a fruitless exercise.... RIM has only showed demos and you do not know what will be in the final version......
    06-30-12 11:58 PM
    Yahoo and Hotmail/Microsoft gets their contacts out of the box on Iphone, so why not Google. Why the need to use Exchange, I don't get why such a simple feature isn't just under the Google option in settings.
    07-01-12 12:01 AM
    It is the same thing though. Why are you complaining? Blame Apple for the Google option that is built in. I don't know what to tell you there. Google made that workaround specifically for iOS users so they can get their push gmail, calendar and contact sync back when the 3G came out. If anything, you should be thanking Google for an option that works flawlessly.

The fact that you are complaining about it not being under the "Google" settings in general is ridiculous when you can do the exact same thing with the Exchange option. The point still stands, the iPhone syncs flawlessly with Google accounts. You said it can't sync contacts period.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    07-01-12 12:02 AM
    What's the difference? They sync.
    07-01-12 12:02 AM
    What's the difference? They sync.
    There is a difference. When people go on Iphone from, say, an Android phone, they are going to want to look for a way to sync their contacts through Google, but lo and behold they are not going to find it under the Google option, so it pisses them off, at least temporary. And then they most likely will go on Google search and they will find Microsoft Exchange as the solution to the problem.

Now. wouldn't that all be eliminated if Google had contacts in its settings? Would it have been hard. Even my BB can do that.

Furthermore, why is everyone attacking me for my opinions and real-life usage experiences?
    07-01-12 12:08 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD