The only way to objectively settle the score is to remove third party apps as any form of criteria for comparing the two. BlackBerry is not responsible for third party apps and neither is Google.

So removing that BlackBerry wins hands down. I don't even need to support or defend that statement.

Posted via CB10
    According to people around these forums Android is single handedly responsible for all these apps. They just magically appeared.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 12:52 PM
    I know this is beside the point, but this is something that has been bugging me. How the hell could they get BB10 running on a Dev Alpha A with 1 GB of ram and not a PlayBook? Also, how is it possible For it to run at all on a Dev Alpha A when BB10 takes up more than a GB of ram on my Z10 easily? It's all pretty suspicious especially when he consider the Dev Alpha B and C came with 2 GB of ram

Posted via CB10
    Only the Dev Alpha C has 2GB of RAM. The Dev Alpha and Dev Alpha B were both 1GB of RAM. They will run BlackBerry 10, but not properly. For example, BlackBerry 10 can have up to 8 running applications and that isn't really possible with only 1GB of RAM. I know because I've tried. After the 3rd or 4th app, applications being closing on their own. Even having too many opened web pages in the browser was enough to cause applications to close.

BlackBerry 10 in its current form really does require 2GB of RAM to function properly. They could have made changes and got it working better on the PlayBook, but they chose not to.
    12-01-13 12:54 PM
    The only way to objectively settle the score is to remove third party apps as any form of criteria for comparing the two. BlackBerry is not responsible for third party apps and neither is Google.

So removing that BlackBerry wins hands down. I don't even need to support or defend that statement.
    In today's hyper-connected, ultra-productive mobile environment, that's like saying minus the engine, a bicycle beats a motorcycle every time.

BlackBerry is responsible for its own app ecosystem.
    mikeo007, Rello and bp3dots like this.
    12-01-13 01:06 PM
    The same way I laugh at people that think android is superior to bb10 so join the club.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, it's actually very rare that anyone on this forum insists or states that Android is superior (comparing OS only, not ecosystem).

More accurately, too many people here just interpret it that way when people familiar with Android correct the abundance of misinformation posted as truth.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Saiga, TgeekB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-01-13 01:19 PM
    To be fair, it's actually very rare that anyone on this forum insists or states that Android is superior (comparing OS only, not ecosystem).

More accurately, too many people here just interpret it that way when people familiar with Android correct the abundance of misinformation posted as truth.

There is just as much misinformation about BB10 and even more so because of CNET and other "tech" sites.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku and RedFoxOne like this.
    12-01-13 01:24 PM
    There is just as much misinformation about BB10 and even more so because of CNET and other "tech" sites.

Posted via CB10
    I think all major tech sites are fair with their review/reviews of bb10 devices. They praise the high points ie hub, keyboard, browser. They all seem to agree that the devices are great blackberry's however they have nothing on the major 4(Apple, Samsung, Nokia, htc).

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    12-01-13 01:28 PM
    The potential to obtain and sustain profitability is there. When bb10 ceases to exist only then can one solidify a reason to pass judgment on an infant platform.

How the future plays out in the means of profitability can rectify the initial losses.

Posted via CB10
    People passed judgement on Palm long before its demise.... Guess what? They were right. BlackBerry looks like it's headed the same route.
    12-01-13 01:45 PM
    In today's hyper-connected, ultra-productive mobile environment, that's like saying minus the engine, a bicycle beats a motorcycle every time.

BlackBerry is responsible for its own app ecosystem.
    No, they are responsible to wine and dine developers, which they do quite well. Nobody can argue that they have not made good progress. It has become apparent though that individual developers may have to fill the app gap that the corporations will not. Like with igrann for example.

However the native blackberry apps are the best in the business. Compare any of those to what is on ios or android and blackberry always wins.

Also take into consideration that 95% of free apps, even in the official app stores of other devices are plagued with maleware....

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    With certainty. And anybody with knowledge to the contrary is more than encouraged to point it out whenever possible. But that has no bearing on the propensity for misinterpreting fact checking for anything more than it is.

12-01-13 02:01 PM
    People passed judgement on Palm long before its demise.... Guess what? They were right. BlackBerry looks like it's headed the same route.
    So if it happens 20 years after this post. You will say " look I was right !!"... ??? Lol...

Posted via CB10
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    12-01-13 02:01 PM
    I think all major tech sites are fair with their review/reviews of bb10 devices. They praise the high points ie hub, keyboard, browser. They all seem to agree that the devices are great blackberry's however they have nothing on the major 4(Apple, Samsung, Nokia, htc).

What are you implying by not having anything on the other major 4?Please clear that up for us. I would certainly like to know

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 02:03 PM
    No, they are responsible to wine and dine developers, which they do quite well. Nobody can argue that they have not made good progress. It has become apparent though that individual developers may have to fill the app gap that the corporations will not. Like with igrann for example.

However the native blackberry apps are the best in the business. Compare any of those to what is on ios or android and blackberry always wins.

Also take into consideration that 95% of free apps, even in the official app stores
    Every platform is responsible for its own ecosystem. At one point, BBRY had a better app ecosystem than Apple's. Yes, I agree, BB has worked hard (we might argue how smartly) to get developers, and that is because BBRY knows it has to. Apple is responsible for theirs, BBRY is responsible for it's own.

Google is responsible for ensuring that, say, Nike+ Fuelband app gets on Android. So far, it has failed in that. I say Google is responsible for ensuring the app gets developed for its platform. Simple.

What native apps do you think BBRY has cornered the market with? Understanding why a lot of people do not share this perspective may help you understand why BBRY is struggling.
    12-01-13 02:05 PM
    What are you implying by not having anything on the other major 4?Please clear that up for us. I would certainly like to know

Posted via CB10
    Anything that would make a majority of those users jump to a bb 10 device.

Edit : hardware with a very nice camera, the ecosystem, apps, etc etc.

12-01-13 02:05 PM
    POST OF THE MONTH....

That's exactly what i've been saying for years... 90% of the people use the phone mostly for comunicating, yet, they give first priority to all the BS like the PPI, specs, apps, and all that crap, that you only use once in a while... The core "MOBILE PHONE" features of comunication, nobody seems to care anymore...

I have 2 funny examples, 1 friend and my girlfrind, they both were iphone users, and both of their phones in a momment stoped working and went back to waranty to fix, so I lend them my 9650 and 9780 respectively while they were without their iphones.... and is funny that today, they have their iphones back, but they kept the BB's (I sold for cheap the 9650 and gave the 9780 to my GF), because they enjoy how good and efortless they are to comunicate, and then have the iphone to play around at the same time....

WE HAVE BEEN GOING BACKWARDS!!!

Once the "novelty" of smartphones goes away, I believe that BB will start to become more relevant with it's biased comunication software and hardware.
    Dear God, you can't be serious. You are lauding the virtues of an OS that is a dinosaur by today's standards and that Blackberry has essentially killed off. You don't truly understand how a smartphone works if you think apps are used "once in a while" and other features are crap.

And guess what, THEY ARE ALL COMMUNICATORS. BB10, iOS, Android, WP8. They can all do the EXACT same communication that you think is missing from other OS's, they just do it in different ways.

They do amazing things with apps in the real world and your type of thinking is what got Blackberry in the mess it's in now.
    amjass12, TgeekB, Saiga and 4 others like this.
    12-01-13 02:08 PM
    So if it happens 20 years after this post. You will say " look I was right !!"... ??? Lol...

Posted via CB10
    I doubt Prem will let things go for that long if he isn't getting his investment back out. He is trying to see if the company can be salvaged in tact and profitable first. But make no mistake, he will demand it be parted out and creditors like himself will be first to get the money from the breakup if it looks like BlackBerry can't make it.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 02:08 PM

Also take into consideration that 95% of free apps, even in the official app stores of other devices are plagued with maleware....

Posted via CB10
    Do you have any proof? I'm willing to bet that you're making this stuff up.

12-01-13 02:09 PM

And guess what, THEY ARE ALL COMMUNICATORS. BB10, iOS, Android, WP8. They can all do the EXACT same communication that you think is missing from other OS's, they just do it in different ways.
    I'd refute that. Unfortunately, I'm replying via a non-BB device, so anything I type in this response will magically scramble into incomprehensible text. Damn I wish this device could communicate.

amjass12, Rello, TgeekB and 4 others like this.
    12-01-13 02:13 PM
    But not getting Google sServices essentially makes the Android experience useless. To say that because you can run some Android apps and skin your phone to make it look like an Android phone doesn't make a Blackberry phone a better Android experience by any way shape or form. It would be like saying "I put the hub on an Android phone so therefore I have a better Blackberry than Blackberry." There is much more to Android that just a few apps and eye candy.
    Play Services are great no doubt, but not having them does not make the Android app catalog "useless" by any stretch of the definition of "useless".

For example, I "use" Google Maps on my Z10 all the time. Literally all the time. It is insanely fast, and extremely useful.

Of course, I'm missing the ability to synch it with my Google Account which reduces the feature set -- but definitely does NOT make it useless. Not even CLOSE to useless.

I also run FlipBoard, Instagram, Netflix, PicsArt, Waze, etc... I "use" these apps all the time and enjoy using them and get value from them. This is certainly not a "useless" experience.

We can all agree that Play Services are great. But the lack of Play Services does not make the remaining parts of Android "useless". It does not make all Android apps "useless" or bereft of all value.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    12-01-13 02:14 PM
    Play Services are great no doubt, but not having them does not make the Android app catalog "useless" by any stretch of the definition of "useless".

For example, I "use" Google Maps on my Z10 all the time. Literally all the time. It is insanely fast, and extremely useful.

Of course, I'm missing the ability to synch it with my Google Account which reduces the feature set -- but definitely does NOT make it useless. Not even CLOSE to useless.

I also run FlipBoard, Instagram, Netflix, PicsArt, Waze, etc... I "use" these apps all the time and enjoy using them and get value from them. This is certainly not a "useless" experience.

We can all agree that Play Services are great. But the lack of Play Services does not make the remaining parts of Android "useless". It does not make all Android apps "useless" or bereft of all value.

Posted via CB10
    No you are right. Useless wasn't the right thing to say there and I get what you mean.
    mnc76 likes this.
    12-01-13 02:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    What's maleware? I guess you meant malware.. what a pathetic statement. We know for a fact the actual number if malware in the play store is 0.12%, studies have been done. http://info.publicintelligence.net/D...oidThreats.pdf
    12-01-13 02:27 PM
    Malware....lol here we go again. Not saying it's not possible but I know not one friend who has experienced a problem with Malware on android

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 02:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure which is worse -you believing that or you spreading misinformation.
    12-01-13 02:38 PM
    I think most people who experience malware on Android are the same ones who experience them on PCs. Usually trying to find free copies of something they're too cheap to pay for....
    12-01-13 02:40 PM
    What's maleware? I guess you meant malware.. what a pathetic statement. We know for a fact the actual number if malware in the play store is 0.12%, studies have been done. http://info.publicintelligence.net/D...oidThreats.pdf
    I suppose it depends on what you define as malware. The way I see it anything that requires permissions beyond what is clearly needed for the function of the app would be malware as it is sending your data to their mothership.

Posted via CB10
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    12-01-13 02:46 PM
    I suppose it depends on what you define as malware. The way I see it anything that requires permissions beyond what is clearly needed for the function of the app would be malware as it is sending your data to their mothership.

Posted via CB10
    No, you don't get to invent your own definition of malware. Malware is defined as software that attempts to breach system restrictions or firewalls, unknown to endusers. As for your definition of it, I've seen more of that in BBW than the playstore. API's are funny like that, they're pretty broad, if an app needs to take a picture, save a file, it needs access to your file system, people seem to think that makes it malware. Even with your definition, it's still a user fault because it requires installation and access granted. The worst malware we've seen on mobile devices is via SMS, and BlackBerry was just as vulnerable to that as Android was.
    12-01-13 02:51 PM
436 ... 910111213 ...