For you, that process is easy and not a hassle.

But for just about everyone else I've come into contact with (like family and family friends this past Thanksgiving day), that would be a headache and seen as an unnecessary hassle. The typical response would be, "Why do I gotta do all that? Why don't I just get "insert Android/iPhone here" since it can already do it?"

Remember, this is a FACTUAL debate. Opinion about UI and "stream lining" communication are opinions and not factual.

Factual would be something like this:

GoToWebinar/Meeting, a crucial piece of software in my business communication, is NOT officially supported on BlackBerry 10 phones.

GoToWebinar/Meeting supports iPhone and Android from their native app stores.

Here's another factual example:

Quicken only has an app for iOS and Android, but NOT BlackBerry 10.

Or how about this one:

My bank's app is only available on BB10 via sideload, which is a process I do not want to go through. However, iOS and Android have the app at a touch of a button.
    Android is just an OS, it doesn't point to a single device.
    Multiple smartphones, TVs, smartwatches, etc. run android including BlackBerry, Kindle Fire, Nexus, Samsung Galaxy, etc.
    There's a great chance that the officially supported android application will not execute well or at all on _your_ device.
    I think of android as a java or html5 - all the three are open source and might or might not be fully supported by some devices.

Also, to download and install an android application is way easier on BB10 (on a leaked beta OS), because you don't have to create an account and fill up all those forms. Same applies to iOS and even BlackBerry World.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-30-13 05:59 PM
    That changed when 4.0 released.

First... hardware acceleration has no bearing on multitasking. Second... any consumer level CPU built after around 1985 or so has been capable of multi-threading to allow for multi-tasking. Third... to say Android is lacking something at the hardware level is incorrect, as Android is a software development that is not hardware reliant and works off the Linux kernel which is more than capable of multi-tasking.

Incidentally... the term "True Multi-tasking" only applies to devices and platforms that have multiple CPU cores (multi-threading and tasking on single core CPUs is has been viable for decades, just less efficiently) . Of which BB was late to the party. Everybody else in the mobile industry had already accomplished it. Each platform chooses to handle multi-tasking operations at the user level differently, and each platform has their pros and cons. However, one thing they all have in common is that ALL of the platforms can truly run multiple tasks simultaneously. Multi-Tasking is just yet another Buzz-Word that people like to throw around. It's not unique, it's not special, and it's actually very very old technology.
    True multitasking implies zero latency while running multiple processes.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:01 PM
    True multitasking implies zero latency while running multiple processes.

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely accurate, but for the layman it's not too bad of an interpretation. However... Are you somehow under the impression that BB10 is unique in such a capacity?
    11-30-13 06:12 PM
    If we are being honest wouldn't TRUE multitasking only be on select Samsung Galaxy phones with their multiwindow feature?

Which is slowly being pushed into custom ASOP ROMs as we speak.
    bp3dots likes this.
    11-30-13 06:14 PM
    I just want to say this, if Android had BlackBerry's gesture OS, BlackBerry would be in SERIOUS trouble...

Posted via Navi's BlackBerry Z10...
    11-30-13 06:16 PM
    If we are being honest wouldn't TRUE multitasking only be on select Samsung Galaxy phones with their multiwindow feature?

Which is slowly being pushed into custom ASOP ROMs as we speak.
    Not entirely true, LG has multiwindow multitasking as well, but yes I agree. True multitasking, if there is such a thing, takes place in the foreground.
    11-30-13 06:21 PM
    Surface does true multi tasking, soon windows phones will knock out the cheap Linux android phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:57 PM
    You're wrong. Unless that's just your opinion.
    This thread was about facts, not opinions.
    I think there have been about 3 factual posts so far.
    How is it my opinion and not fact?
    11-30-13 07:01 PM
    Yeah... Not really. There's nothing revolutionary about it. Revolutionary would infer that it's an improvement.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Removing buttons = removing unneeded breakable parts. How is it not a improvement ?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:01 PM
    Much easier than downloading a program on a pc. Blackberry is claiming after all bb10 is a mobile computer

NO MORE SIDE LOADING!!!!!

***snip***

Very simple execution that even a novice would have no difficulty obtaining a 3rd party app store.

I felt I would show just how easily it is to execute a simple function on bb10. Very easy and effortless

Just pointing out how simple it is to those that don't own a bb10 device and are commenting on the hassle. It really is this easy.

Hope it helps those new to installing app stores

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 225735
    Where is the documentation that will inform novice users of this option? Does it come in the box with the phone? Is it in the BB website?

Do users of BB get support for those Android apps even though they aren't on a supported platform? Are all of these app stores safe to use?

(Yes, I know you're leak isn't official yet, but even then, I'll bet dollars to donuts that none of the above will be answerable with "Yes." Which means, none of the stuff you keep saying is the best thing since sliced bread is going to make a difference for most consumer or business users. It's great for us tech types, but we don't cause much of a swing in worldwide sales. )
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-30-13 07:03 PM
    Even though the post is entitled 'The Facts' most everything here is opinion, which is fine- as long as it remains civil and somewhat grounded in reality.

I'm quite impressed at the monumental strides in OS10 since it was released, but at the risk of sounding like a "nattering nabob of negativism" my opinions on the impact (actually lack thereof) of the 'dual platform' are twofold-

1) Until the Carriers each release their Official version of 10.2.1.xxxx, some percentage of folks will not care about dual platform - while some of us like to tinker, others do not. Imagine how well a sale will go down when the salesperson tells the potential BlackBerry customer, first you perform a back up, download a leaked/unofficial OS, restore (or not), then load the Amazon App Store. Next find your 'must have' android apps, download them and see if they work. If they do, great, if not, maybe when the Official OS is released

2) For the sake of argument say all Carriers simultaneously roll out 10.2.1.xxxx on 02 Jan- I foresee one more issue. Salespeople would need to be trained on the dual platform feature then actually promote it. Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of that happening given the Marketing acumen of BlackBerry of late?
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-30-13 07:09 PM
    Even though the post is entitled 'The Facts' most everything here is opinion, which is fine- as long as it remains civil and somewhat grounded in reality.

I'm quite impressed at the monumental strides in OS10 since it was released, but at the risk of sounding like a "nattering nabob of negativism" my opinions on the impact (actually lack thereof) of the 'dual platform' are twofold-

1) Until the Carriers each release their Official version of 10.2.1.xxxx, some percentage of folks will not care about dual platform - while some of us like to tinker, others do not. Imagine how well a sale will go down when the salesperson tells the potential BlackBerry customer, first you perform a back up, download a leaked/unofficial OS, restore (or not), then load the Amazon App Store. Next find your 'must have' android apps, download them and see if they work. If they do, great, if not, maybe when the Official OS is released

2) For the sake of argument say all Carriers simultaneously roll out 10.2.1.xxxx on 02 Jan- I foresee one more issue. Salespeople would need to be trained on the dual platform feature then actually promote it. Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of that happening given the Marketing acumen of BlackBerry of late?
    Unless Android apps, and a store are officially endorsed by BB, and promised to function properly and have support, salespeople won't be talking about it.
    bbq10l and RazrRob like this.
    11-30-13 07:19 PM
    Lol define communication? Communication is communication, don't be silly.

On BB10, right from the lock screen, you can jump to a notification and reply if you want to.

While doing anything, you can reply to messages right from the little top notification bar that appears when you get a notification.

While doing anything, you can access the Hub and reply to someone and right away be back exactly to what you were doing before.

On qwerty BB10 phones, you have the keyboard, which makes typing a billion times faster, more efficient, etc. and etc.

And you have keyboard shortcuts.

There might be some thigs I'm missing.

Don't kid yourself, BB beats the competition in communication and the like.
    11-30-13 07:20 PM

On BB10, right from the lock screen, you can jump to a notification and reply if you want to.

While doing anything, you can reply to messages right from the little top notification bar that appears when you get a notification.

While doing anything, you can access the Hub and reply to someone and right away be back exactly to what you were doing before.

On qwerty BB10 phones, you have the keyboard, which makes typing a billion times faster, more efficient, etc. and etc.

BB10 doesn't even offically support some of the most popular means of communication worldwide. Hardly beating anyone in the communicaiton department.
    bbq10l, Saiga, Bsbudd and 1 others like this.
    11-30-13 07:23 PM
    Removing buttons = removing unneeded breakable parts. How is it not a improvement ?

Posted via CB10
    Android phones have been doing that for years. It's not revolutionary.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:34 PM

LOL. For you, clearly, but absolute statements mean nothing in the real world.

Nothing silly about it. The first thing they teach folks is that effective communication differs from person to person and even from the same person to different people.

Let's think outside the box.

I define a good communication tool (mobile device, in this case) as one that allows me to communicate effectively with the most amount of people on the go without disrupting my other activities. I look at this very organically. So, even while carrying my daughter while she sleeps in my own hand, I can swipe a reply with my non-dominant hand one-handed. I can communicate with several people on different platforms. I can access ALL social networks natively.

For some messages, my device can auto reply based on location. I can teleconference with up to 10 people, and convery the minutes to a youtube video for dissemination to more people. IMAP email, two phone numbers on one device, and the ability to do all my writing, podcasts and minor video-editing and publishing while hanging at Hastings.

Point being, what I need isn't better than yours. Just different. Different platforms allow for different needs to be met. the Hub is sool and all, but for my type of communication needs, it's hollow. I'm sure most people would find the need to video-conference with 10 people overkill as well. I look at it this way: BBM is great, but the ability to be able to reach people with the method they prefer is priceless.
    11-30-13 07:36 PM
    The majority of them do. There's no Tech Savvy to it.

Almost every Android device I see has been customized in some form or another. It's easy, doesn't require tinkering, and is one of the first things a first time Android user learns to do.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Unless you count installing widgets, I have yet to see any of my friends do any real customization.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-30-13 07:41 PM
    BB10 doesn't even offically support some of the most popular means of communication worldwide. Hardly beating anyone in the communicaiton department.
    Exactly. People have such a myopic view of what "communication" means at times.

"The physical keyboard is faster" proclamation for example. Demonstrably wrong, and that specific absolutist statement has mostly died off since the Z10 came around. World records for text entry are on virtual keyboards, and have been for quite some time. So, communications-wise, a virtual keyboard can be a fatser means of entry for people. It definitely is for me.
    bp3dots and techvisor like this.
    11-30-13 07:41 PM
    The Fact is android number 1, ios number 2
    world wide market share

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:46 PM
    Unless you count installing widgets, I have yet to see any of my friends do any real customization.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    Customizing is individual. If widgets is all they want, so be it. If they want more, they can do so. That's pretty much exactly the point.
    Drew808, Saiga and Fidel Mercado like this.
    11-30-13 07:47 PM
    Lol. I'm heading out to get some now lol

Posted via CB10
    take your rolaids

11-30-13 07:49 PM
    Customizing is individual. If widgets is all they want, so be it. If they want more, they can do so. That's pretty much exactly the point.
    Even BB10 users are doing Android customization! It's addictive LOL.
    11-30-13 07:50 PM
    You're wrong. Unless that's just your opinion.
    This thread was about facts, not opinions.
    I think there have been about 3 factual posts so far.
    seemed factual to me

11-30-13 07:53 PM
    Can anyone enlighten me on what type of communication is absent in BlackBerry and present in all other smartphones? For long time I thought that phone calls, emails and sms are the major means. I tried emails on an android device and was surprised to see missing support for international characters and the delay in fetching Gmail which confirmed again that android is not for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:53 PM
    Can anyone enlighten me on what type of communication is absent in BlackBerry and present in all other smartphones? For long time I thought that phone calls, emails and sms are the major means. I tried emails on an android device and was surprised to see missing support for international characters and the delay in fetching Gmail which confirmed again that android is not for me.

Posted via CB10
    Instagram and Snapchat are two perfect examples. (Don't bother with the sideloaded/leaked OS versions, those aren't realistic chioces for most users) The two apps alone cover tens of millions of users. And Instagram is heavily used for businesses as well as personal use.

(IIRC, Pintrest is also in this category.)
    techvisor and vrud like this.
    11-30-13 07:59 PM
436 ... 34567 ...