I'm at a loss as to why this seems to be a huge point on CB in recent months.

There is nothing inferior to having a home button. It's just a different method of UI interaction. It's neither better nor worse. Just different.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    It is a revolutionary means of navigation

Posted via CB10
    plonga likes this.
    11-30-13 02:15 PM
    No home button means that for me Bb10 wins hands down every time.

Does android sell more? Of course. It's only almost every other phone manufacturer selling it. Tim Hortons sells more coffee than my favourite coffee shop. My favourite coffee shop however has, imo, a far superior coffee.

Posted via CB10
    I respect your opinion, but I've always felt like saying that not having a home button on BB10 is almost reaching for an advantage for BB10. I mean, I definitely do think it's more fluid to just slide up, but imo, at the end of the day it's damn near just as quick to just push a button to go back to the home screen lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah... Not really. There's nothing revolutionary about it. Revolutionary would infer that it's an improvement.

Rello, bbq10l, Acidwire and 6 others like this.
    11-30-13 02:17 PM
    I love the stream lined communication experience in bb10. Very refined and efficient. I can effortlessly utilize the hub etc to go about my day.

I am a power user in the means of communication. Android is too cumbersome as I find too many steps to carry out many of my critical functions.

Bb10 imho is the best mobile experience.

Android has many apps however with the Android runtime on bb10 we now have access to the majority of Android apps. Many of which work seamlessly.

Android allows for customization. However I am unaware of how many actually utilize that aspect out side of the realm of the tech savvy

Many users love Android. Very advanced in many aspects. However as a power user it is just not up to par in terms of power user capabilites of BB10
    Posted via CB10
    That's your opinion,like buttholes. We all have one.

sent from my galaxy note 3
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-30-13 02:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but I don't think it is at all. Evolutionary but definitely not revolutionary. Especially when I'm in landscape in some apps and can't get it minimize the app for some reason cause it won't recognize my swipe. I wish it just had a home button at times lol

It's more fluid and definitely different but not the huge advantage people claim it to be. Hand a average consumer a BB10 device and they have no idea where to start with the phone lol

Posted via CB10
    Acidwire likes this.
    11-30-13 02:21 PM
    I'm sorry but I don't think it is at all. Evolutionary but definitely not revolutionary. Especially when I'm in landscape in some apps and can't get it minimize the app for some reason cause it won't recognize my swipe. I wish it just had a home button at times lol

It's more fluid and definitely different but not the huge advantage people claim it to be. Hand a average consumer a BB10 device and they have no idea where to start with the phone lol

Posted via CB10
    By definition it is revolutionary in the means of being a radically innovative means to navigate.

Yes new users have a learning curve.

I personally couldn't go back to back buttons

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-30-13 02:24 PM
    By definition it is revolutionary in the means of being a radically innovative means to navigate.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but u have to remember Palm did this before BB10 dropped. Meego did this (with pretty much the exact UI) before BB10 so that's why I won't call it revolutionary.

You really couldn't go back to back buttons? Really lol? Being completely serious lol? So if BlackBerry went under and BB10 was no more, u couldn't use an iPhone, Android or WP device?

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:39 PM
    Yes but u have to remember Palm did this before BB10 dropped. Meego did this (with pretty much the exact UI) before BB10 so that's why I won't call it revolutionary.

You really couldn't go back to back buttons? Really lol? Being completely serious lol? So if BlackBerry went under and BB10 was no more, u couldn't use an iPhone, Android or WP device?

Posted via CB10
    No. I really couldn't. I am too fond of gesture based navigation to go back. I belive many feel this way.

I would choose Android as there are many means of customization

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    What exactly is radically innovative about it? It's different yes. But innovative? Not really.

Case in point... How "revolutionary" or "innovative" are virtual keyboards versus physical keyboards with the majority of BB users on this site?

Ironic isn't it, that a physical home button is laughed at while the majority of users here prefer a keyboard that requires a plethora of physical buttons.

11-30-13 02:44 PM
    Since the purchase of QNX, the company has lost almost $3 billion on their new platform. And that figure only includes the purchase of QNX ($200 million) and the inventory write off for the PlayBook (estimated at $1.5 billion), and the Z10 ($1 billion). That figure would much higher if I had the totals for developing the new OS, marketing, all of the developer promotions and other expenses related to the new platform.

Bottom line, they haven't made a dime of profit off of the new platform. It has been a complete commercial failure and that isn't a opinion, it is a fact.
    Actually factoring in marketing would have a minimal impact on their overall expenditures (Frank's golden parachute comes out of operating expenses).
    Saiga likes this.
    11-30-13 02:49 PM
    What exactly is radically innovative about it? It's different yes. But innovative? Not really.

Case in point... How "revolutionary" or "innovative" are virtual keyboards versus physical keyboards with the majority of BB users on this site?

Ironic isn't it, that a physical home button is laughed at while the majority of users here prefer a keyboard that requires a plethora of physical buttons.

I'm discussing navigation. Not keyboards

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:50 PM
    No. I really couldn't. I am too fond of gesture based navigation to go back. I belive many feel this way.

I would choose Android as there are many means of customization

Posted via CB10
    Who are you, and what have you done with Missing? LOL.

What do you feel about voice control UI navigation?
    missing_K-W, eldricho and kbz1960 like this.
    11-30-13 02:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Surely you get the point he is making? C'mon, K-dubbs... it is a very pertinent point.

Some people consider touchscreens innovative. If you don't like to use a touchscreen though, it won't be innovative. Same with a home button vs gestures. For some folks, gestures are not that innovative because it doesn't bring anything to the table for them.
    Rello, Saiga, DenverRalphy and 4 others like this.
    11-30-13 02:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you're saying gestures are only revolutionary and/or innovative when it applies to navigation but not keyboards? Regardless of whether you're talking about Nav or Keyboards, either way you're referring to user input.

11-30-13 02:54 PM
    Who are you, and what have you done with Missing? LOL.

What do you feel about voice control UI navigation?
    I feel that it is has great potential. I would prefer software that incorporates a user's voice algorithms and has fantastic speech recognition software.

I have used siri briefly and in its state it was cumbersome. Wouldn't pick up my speech really well

In a few years when systems become more advanced I see this becoming an ace. Was that an alright perspective? Hope so

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:55 PM
    The majority of them do. There's no Tech Savvy to it.

Almost every Android device I see has been customized in some form or another. It's easy, doesn't require tinkering, and is one of the first things a first time Android user learns to do.

This is true

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:56 PM
    LOL. Surely you get the point he is making? C'mon, K-dubbs... it is a very pertinent point.

Some people consider touchscreens innovative. If you don't like to use a touchscreen though, it won't be innovative. Same with a home button vs gestures. For some folks, gestures are not that innovative because it doesn't bring anything to the table for them.
    Exactly...its just different. if people like it that's fine. I like it lol but it doesn't bring necessarily anything new to the table especially when other platforms did it before BB10

Posted via CB10
    RazrRob likes this.
    11-30-13 02:57 PM
    I'm fairly confident by "the facts", Android beats BB10 (and iOS and Windows Phone) by a wide margin.Using facts basically means ruling out things completely subjective like GUI because those cannot be "factual".

People who claim Android are bogged down or buggy probably don't have much experience with Android and, even if it were true, it would mean that you would have to prove it with evidence instead of simply an anecdote. Like "Across 1000 different devices used by 1000 different individuals, the BB10 devices reboot X amount of times over a 7 day period vs X amount of times for Android."

What we have left would go something like this:
    APPS - Android has many apps. Blackberry's app selection is largely a subset of Android app store with many apps not fully functional or functioning properly
    DISPLAY - Android has a variety of display selection from <3" to >6". Blackberry has what? 3? Android also has a better selection of PPI and display types like AMOLED and SLCD
    OPENNESS - There are Android devices with unlocked bootloader.
    HARDWARE - Android has quad core Snapdragon 800 processors
    PRICING - BBRY is sells a Z10 with a Snapdragon S4 for ~400 USD. A Nexus 5 with a Snapdragon 800 can be had for ~350 USD.

And it goes on and on like this... It's because Android is so much better/more suitable for most people that its the top selling OS in the world.
    The use of Better here is imo.....an opinion. not fact. The snapdragon in my z10kicks my friends android 800 by miles...of course being on Verizon with 4 g helps.......

And this is merely my opinion......
    11-30-13 03:22 PM
    I've owned the others, but their single-mindedness in only developing one form factor because that is what the majority wants is incomprehensible. Everyone competes to make a slab of glass that you can touch. And another slab of glass you can touch. And ANOTHER slab of glass you can touch. Way to go, innovation. If you want another form factor option you're pretty much SOL. Except on BB.

I sold my Droid 4, but I'll probably go look at the Droid 5 if/when it comes out. However, preferring the non-sliding portrait format, and that I have the few android apps that are really key to me running on my Q10, and that I like the BB user experience better and feel like I take a step backward every time I use my Android tablet - I'm doubting I'll be enough of a sucker to buy one this time.

So my question is: Why is everyone but BB so narrow-minded on form factors?
    XDrew42 likes this.
    11-30-13 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    I love the swipe up, but its not revolutionary. Refreshing, yes, but it performs the same function as all of the other home buttons. Now the L gesture to get to the hub is nice and different, but a simple swipe up is nothing different than just pushing a home button.
    11-30-13 03:25 PM
    Samsung expected to spend more than Iceland's GDP on advertising, marketing and promotion this year and a significant chunk is for mobile - that's pretty much the only 'fact' that people need to concern themselves with in regards to the battle* between Android and BB10. If that is not enough, just throw in what the next nearest five android also-rans plan to spend - the technical stuff is like the VHS-BETA or Bluray DVD-HD - interesting to geeks like us but of no consequence.

* a slaughter as one-sided as this can't really be considered a battle...
    Saiga, RazrRob, XDrew42 and 3 others like this.
    11-30-13 03:28 PM
    Samsung expected to spend more than Iceland's GDP on advertising, marketing and promotion this year and a significant chunk is for mobile - that's pretty much the only 'fact' that people need to concern themselves with in regards to the battle* between Android and BB10. If that is not enough, just throw in what the next nearest five android also-rans plan to spend - the technical stuff is like the VHS-BETA or Bluray DVD-HD - interesting to geeks like us but of no consequence.

* a slaughter as one-sided as this can't really be considered a battle...
    Sad but true. Having the best product available (I'm not saying BlackBerry 10 is or isn't the best), simply isn't enough anymore.
    11-30-13 03:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    By no means is it revolutionary, I had the slide up to home screen gesture on my iPhone 3GS and it was good in a save the home button from breaking kinda way.
    11-30-13 03:43 PM
    By no means is it revolutionary, I had the slide up to home screen gesture on my iPhone 3GS and it was good in a save the home button from breaking kinda way.
    This is about PURE gesture based navigation. No home / back button required

Allows for a more stream lined and quicker means of navigation. Time is precious. Especially while heavily communicating

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 03:46 PM
    I've owned the others, but their single-mindedness in only developing one form factor because that is what the majority wants is incomprehensible. Everyone competes to make a slab of glass that you can touch. And another slab of glass you can touch. And ANOTHER slab of glass you can touch. Way to go, innovation. If you want another form factor option you're pretty much SOL. Except on BB.

I sold my Droid 4, but I'll probably go look at the Droid 5 if/when it comes out. However, preferring the non-sliding portrait format, and that I have the few android apps that are really key to me running on my Q10, and that I like the BB user experience better and feel like I take a step backward every time I use my Android tablet - I'm doubting I'll be enough of a sucker to buy one this time.

So my question is: Why is everyone but BB so narrow-minded on form factors?
    I see your point, but other companies have tried to put out devices with physical keyboards, and most have not been too successful. So, if I'm a corporation, and figure out that there is no ROI for me in making such devices, I'd cede that market to BBRY EVERY time. Most people seem to prefer glass slabs, so that would be where I'd look to be creative, all things being equal.

If you really want to be harsh, it could be noted that BBRY, which, to your point is not so narrow-minded, isn't doing too well.
    11-30-13 03:48 PM
436 1234 ...