At one time, I had one of those wonderful @crackberry.com email addresses. They should bring those back (if they don't still offer them).
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    02-01-17 07:25 AM
    BB10 was meant to last ten years. I'm sure it will last at least five and some of us might take it a little further.
    02-01-17 07:44 AM
    The downhill ski of BB is not for the fainted heart of last four years. Even for winter hardening Canadian. Hopefully, Waterloo is not "waterloo". Looking for Phoenix come out from ash.
    02-01-17 07:46 AM
    For some reason it is inextricably linked in my mind with the Giants beating the Pats in the superbowl on what must have been just a day or two later!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 09:45 AM
    For some reason it is inextricably linked in my mind with the Giants beating the Pats in the superbowl on what must have been just a day or two later!

Posted via CB10
    Lets hope history repeats! Go Falcons!
    3Dee and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-01-17 10:59 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry have had the marketing billions of Samsung during that period and enough cash to burn through would it be a popular platform today? Say, would 100 billion had helped push the needle and deliver the message that BlackBerry was back stronger than ever? An absurd amount.. and a theoretical question that is hard to answer and even in vain.. but still.. I like to think about it, as I'm still in love with this OS. It fits my needs perfectly.
    02-03-17 06:27 PM
    I too bought a cheap Windows Tablet running Windows 8.1. Also only had a 32GB Drive on it.... but I installed an SD Card and had it mounted as a Virtual Drive at Boot and never had an issue,
    I did that too, but then the 8.1 update came out and the ability to install store apps somewhere other than the C: drive vanished (I think you can again). With enough work maybe I could have worked around it, but the whole experience simply did not work well on an 8" screen at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 06:53 PM
    I wonder if BlackBerry have had the marketing billions of Samsung during that period and enough cash to burn through would it be a popular platform today? Say, would 100 billion had helped push the needle and deliver the message that BlackBerry was back stronger than ever? An absurd amount.. and a theoretical question that is hard to answer and even in vain.. but still.. I like to think about it, as I'm still in love with this OS. It fits my needs perfectly.
    I wonder what might have been, but at the same time if I look back at the days when they were the leaders, it seemed there were endless devices, all with different specs, and little uniformity between screen sizes, cameras, etc. It is like they needed the shake-up, though not as much as they eventually got of course.

BB10 still works for me as well, but the browser is showing its age and that's what is starting to kill it for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 06:56 PM
    4 years old and no love from its own parents.
    02-03-17 09:01 PM
    You need to adjust for it being born prematurely.
    Haha... poor prenatal nutrition! Poor postnatal attention. Father's self inflicted dementia forgot EVERY lesson learned raising X's older siblings. Under aged mother (qnx) had NO previous (smartphone) experience... And insufficient guidance from midwives.

10.3.3 finally has me even looking forward to using my oversized Classic... FINALLY!! If only a tool belt equipped Q10 had intro'd with 10.3.3 in 2012! ... Oh well...
    02-04-17 06:02 AM
    If it's okay to wish happy birthday to a dead child? I don't think so.

“Ikk gypsy rakhhi kaali,sootay di hobby paali”.
    02-04-17 08:54 AM
    It's not a dead child. It's a sleeping dragon! Of course, it takes a single individual with buckets of money and a passion and vision for the OS to wake it again, BlackBerry would be open for this opportunity. Anyone here that meets these criteria?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 07:07 AM
    This popped up on my Facebook memories today! Can't believe it's only been 4 years, I've had many phones since lol I got it on launch day when the Rohers store opened!
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 Turns Four Today-6141.jpg  
    02-05-17 12:55 PM
    You need to adjust for it being born prematurely.
    Hey, not quip on the Prem... ;-D

(earlier and more mature wouldn't have hurt, BlackBerry! )

•   Mercurial greetings , hopefully coming soon to Planet Earth... :-D   •
    02-06-17 01:24 AM
    It's not a dead child. It's a sleeping dragon! Of course, it takes a single individual with buckets of money and a passion and vision for the OS to wake it again, BlackBerry would be open for this opportunity. Anyone here that meets these criteria?

Posted via CB10
    We could crowd-fund some BB10 adventure, if Chen wants to play.. :-D

02-06-17 01:25 AM
    My love for bb10 and bb10 devices have grown 4 times more over these 4 years period and I celebrate our bb10 birthday with lots of love and faith!!! Happy birthday BlackBerry 10!!! May luck favour you to return back in full glory out of ashes starting 2017!!!! Lady luck favour you...

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 07:07 AM
    I did that too, but then the 8.1 update came out and the ability to install store apps somewhere other than the C: drive vanished (I think you can again). With enough work maybe I could have worked around it, but the whole experience simply did not work well on an 8" screen at all.

Posted via CB10
    I never had much of an issue with Windows Store Apps... as there just weren't that many to bother with. A few that I did use that used databases, allowed the database to be relocated. But yeah those cheaper tablets had issues. I paid 4X what I paid for my NextBook, for my Surface 4 Pro.... worth every penny.
    02-06-17 07:15 AM
    Although I still feel that the Z30 is the best phone I have ever used, I am finally feeling a bit of the "app gap" as I have signed up for SiriusXM Radio and have the app on my Dtek50. Makes me sad.
    02-06-17 10:16 PM
    The best Os there is!

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 07:31 PM
    My first phone was a Nokia and my first Real phone was a BlackBerry Z30. I don't know if I could use anything other than a BlackBerry!

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30
    02-09-17 05:59 AM
    WOW, hard to believe 10 years ago...I still use my Zed10 everyday. It's holding up nicely! Now if I could clear off some space for that new OS...
    You really need to do your math again.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-17 06:26 AM
    You really need to do your math again.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.

Brain fart I guess!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-17 05:10 PM

BB10 could go open source, like OpenSolaris did a few years ago (admittedly that didn't survive, but illumos is out there still).

Imagine that!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-17 08:39 AM

I think crowd funding a future bb10 device could work if it sets a goal it needs to get the project up without any financial commitment by BlackBerry, only build what is ordered. Many projects on kickstarter go this route. It would just need to show everyone what it will need in capital and let the bb10 die hards try and see if they can attain the set goal .
    02-10-17 11:48 AM
    I think crowd funding a future bb10 device could work if it sets a goal it needs to get the project up without any financial commitment by BlackBerry, only build what is ordered. Many projects on kickstarter go this route. It would just need to show everyone what it will need in capital and let the bb10 die hards try and see if they can attain the set goal .
    We've talked about this before, and the numbers are absurd.

When BB ended development of BB10 back in 2014, they laid off 1700 people - after laying off 2800 in 2013. Let's be extremely generous and say that only 500 of them were actually needed to develop the OS itself. And lets say that, because it's Canada, that the total costs (salary+benefits+bonuses+taxes+office space+equipment+training, etc.) to BB for putting those 500 workers to work for a year is $200k/person. Now, let's say that - somehow, BB discovers a magic lamp, rubs it, and a genie pops out and grants BB the ability to do the same work with HALF the people, and we cut that figure in half! You're still looking at $50M for a year of development work - and that's JUST OS software! That's not the additional cost of QNX drivers, and it's certainly not the cost of designing or manufacturing new hardware.

So, if you somehow managed to find 100,000 BB10 ultra-fans who all agreed to pay for BB10 OS development on Kickstarter (again, no new hardware, no new drivers, no new apps, no new Android Runtime, no updates to the development environment or APIs), then each of those 100,000 fans would need to pay $500. If you wanted an actual PHONE, then each of them would probably need to pay somewhere around $1200-1500. Of course, that assumes BB would be willing to agree to all of that (which they won't - they're out of the smartphone business), and it also assumes that BB could find employees willing to come to work for them for only a year at standard pay (I suspect most would demand a premium).

And the biggest assumption of all would be that 100,000 BB10 fans would pay that cash up-front. I doubt you could get 1000 people to do so.

Crowdsourcing is great for much smaller projects, but the most amount of crowdsourced money ever gathered for a project is less than 10% of the crazy low figure I've given here, and remember, that's just OS development.

A mobile OS platform is not a weekend project in the garage. Even huge companies like HP understood that it takes massive resources to become a marketable product, and canceled WebOS. The quality of the OS design isn't in question - rather, it's the business realities. They're harsh. If there was a simple fix, it would have been tried long ago.
    02-10-17 12:46 PM
60 123