View Poll Results: BB10: Touchscreen or psychical keyboard?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Touchscreen; there's just no way that I'm gonna miss that big screen resolution

72 35.12%
  • Psychical keyboard; well you know, I just can't get away from the awesomeness of the 9900 keyboard

85 41.46%
  • Slider; I think I would prefer a slider for this time

48 23.41%
    Just say no to glass keyboards - the manufacturers gain by saving design and construction and repair costs, we lose by sacrificing screen space to type and having to look to see if we are actually over the right key instead of feeling to be sure, and getting the tactile feedback to know it was actually pressed without having to mentally confirm it.

Please remain with function over style RIM and don't bite from the forbidden apple!

Trackpad as well please! so we can continue navigating with one hand if we so choose.

Take away those things and it's just another "me too" phone and we may as well jump ship.
    These are the only things that keep me in blackberry turf.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-07-12 at 05:02 PM.
    07-07-12 04:59 PM
    I want the touchscreen, but BlackBerry better not forget about building some sort of innovative keyboard shortcuts into the OS.

I need to be able to speedily do word substitution and access functions within native built in apps quickly.

Save me time. Don't forget the heritage and why we use BlackBerries.
    07-07-12 05:12 PM
    Keyboard all the way
    07-07-12 05:52 PM
    Touchscreen's also appeal to business users. It is much better having all that screen real estate to view spread sheets or read documents. I also do not have a problem with virtual keyboard, but I only use it several times for messaging.
    ...and then the whole touchscreen idea falls apart when you have to do any real editing
    of these documents, or at least that has been my experience.

Exactly! I get an excel file, I'll open it on my iPad, or PlayBook to view it, but the second I need to interact with it I go right to my Bold, and do everything on my Bold.

Same with word files, the ONLY thing I prefer the bigger screen of my tablets for every time is PDF files because they are always for review only.

I think a 4-5" screen is still too small for Excel files, I can "open on playbook" when bridged and use a good screen size. I actually hate that my iPhone/iPad don't connect like my BlackBerry / PlayBook do, it just makes them so useful as a team!
    07-07-12 05:58 PM
    I am still undecided at this point.

I've always disliked touchscreen phones and I love the keyboard on my 9900. However, the downside to having such an amazing keyboard would be the size of the phone. I have small hands and the size of the 9900 makes it hard for me to type with one hand, especially when I have my hands full.

I trust that RIM will come out with an good virtual keyboard and I might try the first BB10 touchscreen phone if I like the size of it.
    You need to try a 9790!

I LOVE my 9790, I have 2 9900's but the 9790 is my most used BB because of it's smaller size making it so much easier for 1 handed typing, not that I had problems with the 9900, but I picked up 2 WPM by moving to the 9790 over the 9900 that was enough for it to be worth while for me to make this switch.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-07-12 06:01 PM
    I'm currently on the physical touchscreen fence. Can't deal with the onscreen keyboard right now, to the point that I chose to use the Curve 9320 over the Torch 9860 after losing my Bold 9900.

However, having used the Dev Alpha, using the onscreen keyboard hasn't been all bad due to the nice screen size, though I still don't type as fast as using a physical keyboard. And the BB10 looks awesome enough that I may go for the full touchscreen device. Though I did enjoy using the Torch 9800 so the slider may be the one I go for, if I can hold off until then of course.
    07-07-12 06:02 PM
    Is it really that hard to type on a touchscreen really? I tried it for a couple of times on my iPod and it seemed smooth for me. I never had any difficulties with it.
    I've made a few posts with detailed tests of my experience and difference between touchscreen and physical keyboards, I'd say there is a 20% or so speed advantage for me to use a physical over a touch keyboard.

then other UI elements and device handing can increase the speed advantages having always available short cut keys is a HUGE time saver.

I haven't found a touchscreen that has the fast T for top, B for bottom, space for down 1 page when navigating though an email
    07-07-12 06:04 PM
    I would actually like a slider for a change...bring it to Verizon!! But I would take a full touchscreen over physical keyboard. But BB is trying to move forward with that feature
    07-08-12 08:49 AM
    Slider, because I have 2 others already and it is my choice and as if I give a what others think.
    07-08-12 08:57 AM
    Anyone knows how would the gaming system would look like on a BB10? Will the graphics and everything be kinda like the iPhone, Andriod, etc? I can't wait to have Angry Birds, Drag Racing, Cut the Rope and those great games on my next BB device.
    Any respond to that please?
    07-15-12 05:39 PM
    I voted for a physical keyboard. However, that does not mean that I can't be persuaded to go touchscreen. I'll definitely check it out and if I feel that I could actually become proficient and comfortable, then I'm not averse to going in that direction. I'm keeping an open mind. Of course, now deRusett has me contemplating the 9790! LOL!
    07-15-12 05:59 PM
    I think Slider is the worst option because it throws off the one hand usage that BB is all about and makes the balancing of the phone a slight hassle.

Then, if implemented properly, which I feel the touch version will be, it is great. People complain about not being able to correct things, but if the screen is large enough you do not need a track pad. And if there is haptic feedback(it buzzes slightly) it feels similar to a physical keyboard. They did theirs better than Apple, because with Apple you weren't even able to make the on screen keyboard go away!

The physical keyboard here could be a game changer, and it def depends upon what you like to do with your berry.

If hammering out a lot of emails and texts accurately and quickly is what you like to do, this seems like the best device.

If precision isn't a big deal to you and you just like to type a bit but also play around and a better browsing experience, then the Touch screen seems best.

I feel the slider is meh and I don't like my Torch much at all.

The real question is, when these devices drop, will they actually be ready to use and future proof, or behind the times as usual?
    07-15-12 10:13 PM
    I've made a few posts with detailed tests of my experience and difference between touchscreen and physical keyboards, I'd say there is a 20% or so speed advantage for me to use a physical over a touch keyboard.

then other UI elements and device handing can increase the speed advantages having always available short cut keys is a HUGE time saver.

I haven't found a touchscreen that has the fast T for top, B for bottom, space for down 1 page when navigating though an email
    Well, since there's not much of a difference then I don't think I will be having a problem while typing on the touchscreen. I'm a pretty quick learner myself so no issues here and I believe it will be better for gaming that is "if" that will be making a better gaming system for the future devices.
    07-25-12 08:06 PM
    Btw does anyone feel that Nevada is the coolest codename for a phone ever?
    07-30-12 10:14 AM
    I'm afraid it isn't going to matter much... If it's not released until 2013, everybody will have already bought the iphone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy III...

This, from a blackberry supporter mind you. Bummer
    As someone with the iPhone 4S, and the Samsung Galaxy III, I can say unequivocally that I will be buying the BlackBerry 10 N series with a KeyBoard, even with SwiftKey 3 on the Samsung Galaxy the soft keyboard just sucks! sucks! sucks!
    07-30-12 10:14 PM
    As someone with the iPhone 4S, and the Samsung Galaxy III, I can say unequivocally that I will be buying the BlackBerry 10 N series with a KeyBoard, even with SwiftKey 3 on the Samsung Galaxy the soft keyboard just sucks! sucks! sucks!
    Pair your BB to your SGS3.

SGS3
    -Settings>Bluetooth> Under paired devices tap the device, jump to your BB and accept incoming request from SGH-1747M.

Tap the small cog beside your paired device on your SGS3. (Back out of everything on your SGS3 and just leave it on homescreen) Make sure your BB is listed as an input device.

On your BB open up 'Remote Control' and type away. It's not that bad, there are enough keyboards and styles that you will eventually find your match.
    07-30-12 10:34 PM
    Its been said over & over that the first BB10 will be a Touch then the Keyboard to follow. But I would not be surprise that both will show up at the same time now with this delay.
    It has been confirmed that both devices will be marketed and launched together. Read back over some of BB10 news on the main crackberry page
    07-30-12 10:37 PM
    Pair your BB to your SGS3.

SGS3
    -Settings>Bluetooth> Under paired devices tap the device, jump to your BB and accept incoming request from SGH-1747M.

Tap the small cog beside your paired device on your SGS3. (Back out of everything on your SGS3 and just leave it on homescreen) Make sure your BB is listed as an input device.

On your BB open up 'Remote Control' and type away. It's not that bad, there are enough keyboards and styles that you will eventually find your match.

If I'm going to type on my BB, I'll use my BB,
    As for the softkeyboard, I need to learn to slow down on double tap letters, and also need to figure out how to put punctuation in without looking, I'm expecting at least close to the same speed typing as users on this forum have lead me to believe that Keyboards like swift key are intuitive, thus far I've been greatly disappointed, I'm going to keep on swiftkey for 2 more days then move to swype, but as it stands I've already caught up to my iPhone typing speed on the SG3, though I make more errors on the SG3. I think partially due to size the SG3 is very difficult to use one handed, same fear I have for the BlackBerry L series actually.

I'm aggressively trying to make softkeyboards second nature in case heaven forbid, BB10 is a flop, I'll need to be ready for the migration of important tasks to what I can only describe as the laborious input procedures of touchscreens.

But here's hoping the N series comes and is a HUGE hit.
    07-30-12 11:48 PM
    I will be buying BOTH, full touch and qwerty at the same time. The only question is, which carriers will these devices come out on and when?
    07-31-12 01:52 AM
    I'll go for the keyboard version. Not straight from the start because my Bold 9900 won't even be a year old by then and I refuse to replace such an expensive phone this soon. Also I am a bit carefull when it comes to a new OS. Stepping up from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7 also provided a brand new, fast and modern OS, but compared to the older one there have been quite some disadvanteges for some people. Same with Nokias update from Symbian Anna to Symbian Belle.
    07-31-12 02:38 AM
    I never expected that most people would be going for the physical keyboard more than the touchscreen. According to the poll that I've posted, the keyboard is getting the highest vote so far.
    08-06-12 08:32 PM
    I never expected that most people would be going for the physical keyboard more than the touchscreen. According to the poll that I've posted, the keyboard is getting the highest vote so far.
    You're on a BlackBerry forum,
    if users today are still using BlackBerry's there is a high probability that the Keyboard is a main factor in the decision so hence the poll results,

IF you posted the same poll on Android central with the questions

What BlackBerry 10 device are you most interested in
    L Series touch only
    N Series Physical QWERTY+Touchscreen Candybar
    M Series Physical QWERTY portrait slider + full touchscreen
    Not interested in BlackBerry 10

I suspect option 1 and 4 take up 80% of the votes
    08-06-12 08:40 PM
    Nature of the user base really...

Imagine that, BlackBerry users wanting a physical keyboard. That's why I'll be waiting for a slider.
    08-06-12 09:17 PM
    I have been thinking alot about this for quite some time and I really think there's no point in me getting a non-keyboard phone in this case. Plus I have only one upgrade to blow on a phone next year, I gotta only choose one. So I guess it's really only one real choice for me: a physical keyboard phone...
    08-09-12 11:35 PM
    I need the keyboard pretty badly. Right now, I have a bb9810 and a htc droid incredible 4g lte. I use the bb for all communcation, and have the droid make up the app deficiency and nav. Pretty crazy, but that is how badly I need that keyboard. To me, the 9810, is the best phone design ever made. Sure, there are things that I would change aesthetically, to make it more premium looking, as well as alter the bezel so that it does not get so scratched up all the time - but it really is the best of both worlds. Bigger screen, and keyboard when you need to bang out an email. The touchpad is key to finer control.

I would be super happy if they upgraded the internal hardware and simply out bb10 into the 9810 form factor.
    08-12-12 10:02 AM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD