I love expanding my phones memory. It�s like every year we can upgrade our phones "Hard Drive". The cloud just doesn't do it for me. I hope BB10 has SD slots, The Playbooks lack of an SD card IMO is 1 of the down falls. I have sold BlackBerrys and having an SD slot was a selling point. I have a 16G playbook useless because I can't put movies, videos or music due to storage problems since the thing is filled with Apps (if only I had an SD slot). This 16G 32G and 64G is not enough storage these days. Years ago our phones did not take 8MP photos and shoot 1080p videos, we would never think of using up 16G but we are at that point that 16G is really nothing since we now live in HD lol. Having 16G on board is great, having an expanding slot for another 64G is out of this world. BB10 needs to keep the SD slot along with the QWERTY keyboard that�s all I really want to stay the same. Anyone else care to voice their opinion
    LuisCast likes this.
    07-09-12 12:48 PM
    I assume BB10 will have SD slots. I dont think RIM is ready to give compete cloud usage yet. I was the same as many thinking I could never do without the SD card. But with the 32GB i have on my nexus and no SD i have gotten by just fine. I do use the cloud for things like music and tv shows/movies though so that is a big difference for some.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    07-09-12 01:01 PM
    I'm hopeful BB10 will support 128GB SD cards because they're coming.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-09-12 01:13 PM
    I doubt RIM will leave that out, but like Howarmat pointed out, generous onboard space plus cloud storage would be great anyway.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    07-09-12 01:14 PM
    This is actually a really good question. I hope they keep SD cards
    07-09-12 01:26 PM
    I don't see them dropping support for the SD card.

And, I don't ever want to have to rely on the "cloud" for anything that is actually important to me.
    07-09-12 01:44 PM
    SD cards do make things complicated for developers who want to provide a simple, easy experience. You have to deal with the user one day not having the SD card in, where you may have written something important, so then you recreate what you need on the internal storage (or worse a different SD card!)

Then the next day you turn around and the original SD card is back. So do you merge the data together? What if the latest data is on some other SD card? Do you keep a running log of where you wrote what and then build a screen to allow the user to merge things back together?

Of course the OS can help by restricting and controlling what the user can put on the SD card, but that takes a while to sort out how you want to do that (and hopefully get developer feedback on your scheme). I don't recall any mention of this in the BB10 Jam session. Not saying it can't be done, but certainly one fixed block of storage is a much, much simpler model for both RIM's own developers and third party developers.
    07-09-12 01:53 PM
    Good lord... I dunno I'd ever use that much. But knowing me, I'd get one just to say I did.

I assume BB10 will have SD slots. I dont think RIM is ready to give compete cloud usage yet. I was the same as many thinking I could never do without the SD card. But with the 32GB i have on my nexus and no SD i have gotten by just fine. I do use the cloud for things like music and tv shows/movies though so that is a big difference for some.
    I doubt RIM will leave that out, but like Howarmat pointed out, generous onboard space plus cloud storage would be great anyway.
    I'm actually quite content with cloud storage and plenty of onboard storage. I don't miss the manual process of transferring/moving files between devices or workstations.
    07-09-12 01:58 PM
    Good lord... I dunno I'd ever use that much. But knowing me, I'd get one just to say I did.

I'm actually quite content with cloud storage and plenty of onboard storage. I don't miss the manual process of transferring/moving files between devices or workstations.
    Yes... LOL. I was hunting for a 64 GB card, but so far, I have not been able to make a dent into the 8GB one I moved to the EVO LTE from the OG EVO.
    07-09-12 02:50 PM
    128Gb

I hope they keep the SD slot too.
    07-09-12 03:06 PM
    Honestly what are you going to do with all that memory? This is a blackberry not a zune lol.
    mzceetee likes this.
    07-09-12 03:10 PM
    The tablet space isn't the phone space. I wouldn't base the BB10 having a sdcard slot or not off of the PB.
    07-09-12 03:25 PM
    Does the dev alpha have an sd slot?
    07-09-12 03:27 PM
    Does the dev alpha have an sd slot?
    Not the current one.
    07-09-12 03:34 PM
    IIRC hasn't an SD card slot been confirmed for the BB10 phones? I think I had seen a diagram of the new phone showing space for or actually having a mSD slot.
    07-09-12 03:46 PM
    Honestly what are you going to do with all that memory? This is a blackberry not a zune lol.
    I honestly remember when folks thought 1GB was overkill LOL.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-09-12 04:02 PM
    I hope they do, the Dev Alpha doesn't (and my understanding is it's the Colt prototype) but we don't know for sure yet.
    I suppose not having a SD card slot is more secure; if I remember right, the one method that worked to hack a BlackBerry password used an SD Card (and took several months).
    07-09-12 04:13 PM
    I hope they do, the Dev Alpha doesn't (and my understanding is it's the Colt prototype) but we don't know for sure yet.
    I suppose not having a SD card slot is more secure; if I remember right, the one method that worked to hack a BlackBerry password used an SD Card (and took several months).
    Ah... forgot that. Good point.
    07-09-12 05:02 PM
    I honestly remember when folks thought 1GB was overkill LOL.
    I go back farther than that. When I got my 20mb drive I was asked if I was
    planning to store the National Archives
    07-09-12 05:18 PM
    I'd prefer to have SD cards as an option. I understand it's a point of entry for security issues, but encryption software can greatly minimize that and RIM has a head start in that arena. I'd much prefer having my own primary storage on SDHC/SDXC and use the cloud for selective backup where necessary.

If the cloud is your primary backup then you're doing it wrong.
    07-09-12 05:36 PM
    Just ask some of the users @androidcentral they seem to load their whole music and movie library on their SD cards! They have to have it all on them at all times... I find that a bit much lol. Bit what whatever floats your boat
    07-09-12 05:45 PM
    It also has to do with thickness. HTC opted out of SD on the One X because they wanted to focus on making the phone thin. If I had a good SkyDrive app with archiving and easy upload I could do without the SD, but it would be nice!
    07-09-12 05:48 PM
    If they simply put the sdcard slot in a different location rather than the side of the phone, the thickness is not really an issue.

They don't completely remove the slots for thinness.
    07-09-12 05:52 PM
    I want to see a removable microSD card with 128GB addressable space, a removable battery, an LED (of yes) and, a keyboard.
    Tre Lawrence, LuisCast and shaleem like this.
    07-09-12 05:52 PM
    I'd prefer to have SD cards as an option. I understand it's a point of entry for security issues, but encryption software can greatly minimize that and RIM has a head start in that arena. I'd much prefer having my own primary storage on SDHC/SDXC and use the cloud for selective backup where necessary.

If the cloud is your primary backup then you're doing it wrong.
    I don't think (at least.. I'd hate to think) many people use the cloud as their primary backup. Sensitive documents I'd never backup to a cloud service. Those are handled manually by me. But on the same token, I'd sooner place sensitive documents within device storage before an SD Card, since an SD Card can be moved to another device with less security measures in place.
    LuisCast likes this.
    07-09-12 06:03 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD