Regardless I still believe with all the loyal customers that Blackberry has this will be a nonissue, I still believe BB10 will have a bumpy start with people being hesitant about the new OS. But given time people will try it out for $hits and gigs and end up liking it. thats how many people jump onto a platform. Plus android will always have a new device from their numerous hardware makers.
    Last edited by Balti43; 09-17-12 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misspelled
    09-17-12 04:02 PM
    Since when did RIM drop to forth? There is no way that Nokia/MS has sold that many phones in the last month!

As for the "only hardcore BB users"... that's just rubbish. I've shown the BB World videos to people who've never even looked at a BlackBerry phone before, and they're really impressed... possibly even excited!

Si.
    But will they purchase one when push comes to shove? There is no crystal ball to tell us people will come over to BB. People tend to stay with what they are familiar with unless disappointed. If BB10 becomes successful, I believe it will be over time.
    09-17-12 04:10 PM
    I am pretty sure RIM isn't trying to delay launch of BB10 to avoid "noise".

They need the time to make sure they have all their eggs in place!

By delaying things until 2013 has cost them dearly... If they had a functional ready-for-prime-time product with all the carriers ready NOW, they would have released it NOW.

Even with iPhone 5 "noise"... people would see BB10 and maybe some people who needed to upgrade now wouldn't be lost to Apple or Android... They would have an option to stay with BB.

Some people can wait on their old BB phones for BB10, and some just can't or won't.

So there will ALWAYS be "noise" and if RIM thinks for one minute that delaying stuff was just to avoid noise, they must be crazy.

Since I am sure RIM is not crazy, the delay is all about product not being ready. They will release it as soon as it is ready and that is probably 4-5 months away.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-17-12 04:26 PM
    Everyone concentrates so much on how superior each different OS is, lol.

You all seem to forget that even if you have a superior OS it means nothing if you don't have an ecosystem to make use of.

RIM has a wide array of issues to tackle with BlackBerry 10, not just getting an OS and new hardware out the door before Samsung, Nokia..etc etc. There will always be noise that RIM has to contend with. At this point they have to prove why they're a better option over the others whenever they get around to putting BlackBerry 10 on the market, it makes no difference who else is launching a device at the same time if they can't prove why they're a better choice.
    randall2580 and southlander like this.
    09-17-12 04:28 PM
    Apple just filed an injunction to get imports of the Galaxy Note and S3 barred in the USA. Samsung may be running an S4 to market that might be a bit more "injunction proof" than the S3 (which was originally called the first smart phone designed by lawyers - but so far it's not been the Kryptonite Samsung hoped it would be)
    09-17-12 07:25 PM
    I don't know that this will seriously affect the launch. Thing is most consumers don't really look at those Consumer shows. They see TV, print and web based advertising. IF RIM has the networks to themselves at that point in time they should be able to have a strong launch.
    09-17-12 08:14 PM
    I don't know that this will seriously affect the launch. Thing is most consumers don't really look at those Consumer shows. They see TV, print and web based advertising. IF RIM has the networks to themselves at that point in time they should be able to have a strong launch.

Yes but RIMs first customer is the carriers. They pay attention to the shows and the response of the press to whats announced.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-17-12 08:34 PM
    Seriously Samsung are just throwing stuff at us now.
    SG4 in feb? They are not going to give the Ativ S on WP8 a fighting chance then?
    09-18-12 12:29 PM
    Seriously Samsung are just throwing stuff at us now.
    SG4 in feb? They are not going to give the Ativ S on WP8 a fighting chance then?
    No Samsung admitted the SG4 is a rumor. They spoke to CNET about this and have denied.

Samsung downplays rumors of Galaxy S4 for early 2013 | Mobile - CNET News

Samsung downplays rumors of Galaxy S4 for early 2013

The company takes to Twitter to pour cold water on what it says are overheated reports of a March 2013 release for the next Galaxy S phone.
    Lance Whitney
    by Lance Whitney
    September 18, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    Samsung's Galaxy S3.

Samsung's Galaxy S3.
    (Credit: Samsung)

Consumers awaiting Samsung's Galaxy S4 may face a longer wait than reported yesterday.

The Korean handset maker today denied rumors that the next Galaxy S phone would launch next March. Loosely translated from the Korean, Samsung's Twitter post stated: "Please note that some media reported speculation that the Galaxy S3 subsequent models will be released in a simple rumor is not true. [If] not doing anything, why spread these rumors?"

The buzz spread quickly yesterday after an unnamed Samsung official told the Korea Times that the company is ready to launch the Galaxy S4 at next February's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The device itself would then reach consumers a month later.

Assuming Samsung is not just being coy, a launch of the next Galaxy S phone in March 2013 would seem a bit premature.

The Galaxy S3 debuted just this past May. Samsung also plans to unveil a 64GB version of the Galaxy S3 sometime before the end of the year, at least internationally.

Sales of the Galaxy S3 jumped to 20 million in just the first 100 days. The company also expects sales to surpass 30 million by year's end. Samsung would likely want to get more mileage out of the current model before so quickly introducing a new one, or at least not tip its hand so far in advance.

A spokesman for Samsung told CNET that the Twitter post is the only communication that he's seen from the company on the Galaxy S4 rumors.

Updated 10:15 a.m. PT with response from Samsung.
    09-18-12 05:08 PM
    Interesting nugget from a BBC article about HTC:

"The market changed," says Jason Mackenzie, HTC's president of global sales and marketing.

"There's far fewer consumers who are going into the retail stores undecided about what they want to buy.

"Most of our research suggests about 70% of consumers are walking into the store already knowing what they want to buy... so we don't have the luxury in a significant percentage of times to be able to actually put the HTC One in the consumer's hands."

If this analysis is correct it all comes down to marketing - a problem for HTC which admits its budget is about a sixth the size of its South Korean rival.

"We cannot market like a Samsung - or Apple - where you've just got brute force tactics, carpet bombing the airwaves with TV commercials," says Mr Mackenzie.

"We've got to be more creative and act and speak like a challenger."
    RIM has the same problem - a much smaller marketing budget than the big two.
    09-19-12 05:11 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD