Different Activesync. You are referring to the old sync application used for the PDA's at that time. Exchange Active Sync is the server push solution.
    Nope, exactly the same ActiveSync. Updated, of course, but basically the Exchange mobile solution.
    01-05-13 08:23 PM
    Nope, exactly the same ActiveSync. Updated, of course, but basically the Exchange mobile solution.
    Yep, I had the Dell Axim X50v, the first PDA with a VGA display (640x480). It was great, until our BlackBerry devices got the ability to sync wirelessly. I could only sync with ActiveSync by plugging in my Axim with the dock. At that time, I don't remember if it synced directly with Exchange - I think it just synced with Outlook (or maybe its just the way I had it setup). I'm not sure, it was so long ago. I still have it, but the battery died because I had it in the dock too often, and I'm not willing to buy a new battery just to reminisce. That thing had a better display than smartphones for a while after too (it took BB forever to get a resolution that high). It had wifi, but I don't think I was ever able to test that feature out (had to go online when docked, which kind of misses the point).
    01-05-13 11:03 PM
    I think most companies are taking the removal of BB phones from their enterprise to lower costs, not to improve manageability or security. It's an easy sell to say we don't have to pay for a MDM, until a security breach happens of course.
    01-05-13 11:20 PM
    Yep, I had the Dell Axim X50v, the first PDA with a VGA display (640x480). It was great, until our BlackBerry devices got the ability to sync wirelessly. I could only sync with ActiveSync by plugging in my Axim with the dock. At that time, I don't remember if it synced directly with Exchange - I think it just synced with Outlook (or maybe its just the way I had it setup). I'm not sure, it was so long ago. I still have it, but the battery died because I had it in the dock too often, and I'm not willing to buy a new battery just to reminisce. That thing had a better display than smartphones for a while after too (it took BB forever to get a resolution that high). It had wifi, but I don't think I was ever able to test that feature out (had to go online when docked, which kind of misses the point).
    I had a x50v too. Great device that was a bit ahead of its time...
    01-05-13 11:45 PM
    excellent piece of news if bb10 can be used without a dedicated bb plan

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 06:59 AM
    They need to support both. BES is still a great product with unmatched features. I think they should have done this years ago.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-06-13 10:00 AM
    I still have my X50v, a device I bought new from Dell for a considerable amount of money. I still haven't forgiven MS for bricking it with one of its updates.

Interesting side note, the Axims were actually built for Dell by HTC.
    01-06-13 01:56 PM
    I didn't have the V, just the X50. I think I still have it kicking around.
    The battery seemed to stop holding a charge pretty quickly and I could never find replacements. It seemed at the time like Dell wanted to forget they ever sold them.
    I used mine for navigation. I had a CF GPS unit and Pharos GPS sofware, later moved to iGuidance. I liked the CF and SD slots.
    It was a pretty good device for its time.

Anyway - this ActiveSync business on BlackBerry. When I hear the term "sync", to me it means data is physically kept in two different locations, and any action done to the data at one location (edit, delete, etc..) is mirrored at the other locations.

Does ActiveSync locate the data physically at two locations, or is the phone basically just a "tunnel" or window to the data that resides only on the server?
    Maybe my confusion around syncing is why when I delete an email on my PlayBook it vanishes from the server before I can download it with Outlook (POP3) at home.

I use BIS to check my ISP's email (POP3) and send it to my phone. That way I can see what I'm going to get when back home, but I can delete it from my phone to keep it clean and tidy without it vanishing from my inbox.

With my PlayBook, for some reason the auto email configuration sets the same account up using the ISP's "webmail" server, so when I delete a message on the PlayBook, it's gone forever.

There's too many sync modes and they all do something different. I wish we'd stick with POP3.
    01-06-13 02:20 PM
    I didn't have the V, just the X50. I think I still have it kicking around.
    The battery seemed to stop holding a charge pretty quickly and I could never find replacements. It seemed at the time like Dell wanted to forget they ever sold them.
    I used mine for navigation. I had a CF GPS unit and Pharos GPS sofware, later moved to iGuidance. I liked the CF and SD slots.
    It was a pretty good device for its time.

Anyway - this ActiveSync business on BlackBerry. When I hear the term "sync", to me it means data is physically kept in two different locations, and any action done to the data at one location (edit, delete, etc..) is mirrored at the other locations.

Does ActiveSync locate the data physically at two locations, or is the phone basically just a "tunnel" or window to the data that resides only on the server?
    Maybe my confusion around syncing is why when I delete an email on my PlayBook it vanishes from the server before I can download it with Outlook (POP3) at home.

I use BIS to check my ISP's email (POP3) and send it to my phone. That way I can see what I'm going to get when back home, but I can delete it from my phone to keep it clean and tidy without it vanishing from my inbox.

With my PlayBook, for some reason the auto email configuration sets the same account up using the ISP's "webmail" server, so when I delete a message on the PlayBook, it's gone forever.

There's too many sync modes and they all do something different. I wish we'd stick with POP3.
    ActiveSync has been around for ages, in one form or another. It's an actual Exchange mobile client (as opposed to a tunnel), and keeps e-mail, calendar, and tasks synchronized between devices and the Exchange server, and is used in place of POP3. Exchange admins CAN make mail available over POP3, but generally keep it disabled and just use AS.

Your POP3 issue is different. It sounds like your phone has been set up to leave messages on the server, even when you delete them off your phone. That's a setting that has been deliberately configured on your phone, because I'm pretty sure that the default would have your phone delete messages from the server just the way your PlayBook does.

The good news is that your PlayBook can be configured to leave messages on the server, just the same as your phone does. It can be configured through the Account settings in the control panel (I'd give you the settings, but I don't actually have any POP3 accounts configured on my PB so I'm not completely sure where you'd select it).

EDIT: Didn't notice the "webmail" bit. That's a completely different situation, since your e-mail isn't actually hitting your PlayBook (you're just viewing it through the browser). There's a couple of ways to deal with that:

1) Configure a new Account in the control panel for your POP3, and click whatever box you need to that says "leave messages on the server".

2) Just view your e-mails over Bridge.
    01-06-13 02:30 PM
    Thanks.

Yes, I purposely set up my phone (and laptop) to leave messages on the server so I can download them all onto my desktop when I'm home. The desktop then clears off the server.

Is there a default behavior for activesync? When an email is deleted from the phone does it remain on the desktop client?
    01-06-13 02:37 PM
    Thanks.

Yes, I purposely set up my phone (and laptop) to leave messages on the server so I can download them all onto my desktop when I'm home. The desktop then clears off the server.

Is there a default behavior for activesync? When an email is deleted from the phone does it remain on the desktop client?
    No, I don't believe that AS can be set to leave mail on the server. It behaves very much like an IMAP client, as opposed to a POP3.
    01-06-13 02:43 PM
    My Outlook PST file is approaching 2GB. Are you saying people with lots of emails and attachments will need this much free space on their phone too? I basically use Outlook as an archive for all my emails, but I don't need 5 years worth of emails and attachments on my phone.

I understand "working off the server" but for me it comes with too many limitations for my taste.
    01-06-13 02:57 PM
    My Outlook PST file is approaching 2GB. Are you saying people with lots of emails and attachments will need this much free space on their phone too? I basically use Outlook as an archive for all my emails, but I don't need 5 years worth of emails and attachments on my phone.

I understand "working off the server" but for me it comes with too many limitations for my taste.
    Well, the phone doesn't retain ALL mail. Typically, unless you save an item to a local folder, mail items are only on board for a couple of weeks. If you need something older, you can search for it.
    01-06-13 03:06 PM
    Microsoft should use QNX in EAS servers hehe
    01-06-13 04:09 PM
    IMHO the reason it may be slow is because the mail clients are slow. I haven't used Gmail. So I can't comment on that. My hotmail comes through fast and very reliable on BIS.

I want BIS with Activesync to clear my other mobile devices. As far as depending on Activesync to deliver my mail. I'll pay for BIS for reliable delivery. However with this said I'll try without BIS first. Like I said earlier. I'm very happy for those who are looking forward to having activesync on their BB10 devices knowing it will be there at launch
    Correction. Gmail, hotmail and yahoo come through fast on BIS. But the 2 way syncing for the inbox on your Berry and Gmail webmail, is very slow.
    01-06-13 04:12 PM
    Thanks.

With EAS, delete an email on the phone and it is deleted on the PC. If you want to remove it from the phone and save it on the PC, you archive it. The archived email is available on the phone and computer at anytime.
    01-06-13 04:15 PM
    Actually you are wrong. You referred to a software, not a protocol. But I won't argue it further. MS used the same name for two different things. They did it with surface also.
    01-06-13 06:35 PM
    Actually you are wrong. You referred to a software, not a protocol. But I won't argue it further. MS used the same name for two different things. They did it with surface also.
    Well, you could argue that we're actually both right. At its core, ActiveSync is the technology that allows the synchronization of Exchange data. Microsoft also published a desktop client that allowed for the synchronization of files, too, but it was still using the ActiveSync service.

Originally, and at its core, AS allows mobile devices to sync with desktop or server data.
    01-06-13 06:42 PM
    Think of an AS client to be the same as web access like OWA. You are not going to see the stuff in your .PST file over OWA as an example.

If companies are running phones in their environment without any sort of management, The I.T. folks must be having a hard time to sleep at night. I know I would want to distance myself from that sort of decision big time!
    01-06-13 07:27 PM
    Think of an AS client to be the same as web access like OWA. You are not going to see the stuff in your .PST file over OWA as an example.

If companies are running phones in their environment without any sort of management, The I.T. folks must be having a hard time to sleep at night. I know I would want to distance myself from that sort of decision big time!
    I would actually say that for any shop that was using BESx and never bothered to configure custom policies, ActiveSync alone is likely fine. I think the limitation in that case was what, 30 users?

My own personal opinion, pretty much any company with over 100 mobile devices (or even less than that if they have specific security needs) should be using some kind of MDM.
    01-06-13 07:51 PM
45 12