Well I'm bummed.....I bought all kinds of chips, salsa and beer to settle in to see *one Superbowl commercial* and it turns out it's on Feb 3rd!!!!!

Anybody want to come over and help me with all this beer?!?!?!

(obviously I don't know anything about sports)
    So that's how to make friends fast.
    01-26-13 05:19 PM
    So that's how to make friends fast.
    To be fair, for anyone in the UK she had our attention the moment she said 'well I'm bummed'....
    Barljo likes this.
    01-26-13 05:24 PM
    The only thing sweeter would be if my boys were in.
    BB10 Superbowl Commercial!-seahawk.jpg
    Oh well. BB11 launch maybe.
    moonfalle likes this.
    01-26-13 05:26 PM
    i have a prediction and that's Alicia keys song New day playing and maybe her getting up in the morning and doing some cool things throughout the day with the new z10, or perhaps a number of people doing different things. Then in the weeks to follow you see more detailed ads focusing on one person at a time kinda thing.
    the reason I predict this song is it's aspirational, catchy, the theme is embracing life and change and also says blackberry's changed !
    not that I don't like Daniel craig, AC/DC and others just that I think this would be a good fit for a 30 second super bowl ad.
    I just hope its not about unicorns.
    Jake Storm, jakie55 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-26-13 05:28 PM
    As someone who spent 5 years in advertising and marketing, a Superbowl ad is considered a "National" ad, where specifics aren't as important as:

1 - Creating an ad that is memorable
    2. - Creating an ad that is not only memorable, but that the audience remembers who the ad was for and wants to know more
    3 - These days, a viral ad. One that people not only remember who the ad was for, but post it on facebook and send links to friends.

I don't watch the Superbowl (Sorry, as a Canadian I find American football dead boring) but I have watched lots of Superbowl commercials. All the Budweiser ads with the Clydesdales are my favourites (I mean what does a donkey wanting to make the Clydesdale team have anything to do with how good the beer is?). But I have posted them on facebook for others to see. This is what TV advertisers are looking for now, especially Superbowl advertisers, where people critique the ads like they were critiquing a new movie.

Viral is everything nowadays.

And as previously shown, look how much free advertising RIM gets just by deciding to run a Superbowl ad.
    JR A, jakie55, silversun10 and 1 others like this.
    01-26-13 06:28 PM
    As someone who spent 5 years in advertising and marketing, a Superbowl ad is considered a "National" ad, where specifics aren't as important as:

1 - Creating an ad that is memorable
    2. - Creating an ad that is not only memorable, but that the audience remembers who the ad was for and wants to know more
    3 - These days, a viral ad. One that people not only remember who the ad was for, but post it on facebook and send links to friends.

I don't watch the Superbowl (Sorry, as a Canadian I find American football dead boring) but I have watched lots of Superbowl commercials. All the Budweiser ads with the Clydesdales are my favourites (I mean what does a donkey wanting to make the Clydesdale team have anything to do with how good the beer is?). But I have posted them on facebook for others to see. This is what TV advertisers are looking for now, especially Superbowl advertisers, where people critique the ads like they were critiquing a new movie.

Viral is everything nowadays.

And as previously shown, look how much free advertising RIM gets just by deciding to run a Superbowl ad.

The most memorable ones are usually the ones that don't really have to do with the product advertised. I think the most viral of them all was the "Whaaazzzzupppp" Budweiser commercials. Had nothing really to do with beer (other than the guys were sitting on their asses watching TV/BBQ'ing) and just showed them holding the Budweiser bottle, that's it.

I'm of the school of thought that thinks showing off features during a Super Bowl ad won't really do much for RIM. Sure, it's good to know, and many of us here are interested. But CrackBerrians (and just about anyone following a tech site) is in the minority. Just think of the recent Samsung ads that target iPhone and BlackBerry. They didn't really show much about the SGS3 (maybe the NFC bump to share media), but everyone is talking about it. That's the point.

Get more people talking about BB in a positive, and curious light, and then deliver a new product that hasn't been out before, and people will buy.

And as a Niner fan, I have to admit, I haven't followed football for YEARS. I barely knew who that Kaepernick guy was until about two weeks ago, and the only other player I can name on the team is V. Davis. And I live near SF.
    01-26-13 07:25 PM
    The superbowl is funny. It is the only time $100,000 cars are advertised. The reason is that it is the only time and place affluent people will all be watching the same show.

I think the ad is simply going to target CIOs. As sad as it is, it will not be a "cool" ad and will probably not market teenagers. I'd like it to be but i have my doubts.

I hope that this is during the first quarter though. Viewership starts to decline after the first quarter. And in a blowout, it can get really bad by the third and fourth quarters.
    01-26-13 08:52 PM
    Really looking forward to Feb 3rd. I definitely feel the super bowl factored in heavily in RIM launching bb10 on Jan 30th. Think about it...superbowl ad spaces fill up almost a year in advance. You can't just buy ad space in the last minute. Super Bowl spots are hot cakes because of its huge audience and guaranteed return of investment. Great worth ThorTEN & FranFLOW!!
    I wouldn't say the return investment is guaranteed, i seem to recall one superbowl a few yrs ago when a lot of .com companies had ads and they all ended up shutting down a few months later... Not implying this will happen with rim just that it may or may not spark heavy interest depending on their approach...however, i do feel that it needs to be funny and informative like those galaxy s3 commercials...in fact, i hope rim takes a jab at apple and samsung, that will get people talking i bet.
    01-26-13 10:01 PM
    The only thing sweeter would be if my boys were in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seahawk.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	132631
    Oh well. BB11 launch maybe.
    Wilson FTW
    01-26-13 10:02 PM
    Wilson FTW
    You a hawks fan too?
    01-26-13 10:55 PM
    At least now people will know that RIM isn't going bankrupt and definitely isn't dead.
    MC_A_DOT and kbz1960 like this.
    01-26-13 11:08 PM
    Looking forward to it.
    01-27-13 12:07 AM
    You a hawks fan too?
    No
    01-27-13 12:26 AM
    Simply Awesome.

Perfect timing combined with the new launch.

01-27-13 08:10 AM
    As a shareholder, shouldn't you be more up to speed as to the goings on at RIM? Have you heard of Frank Boulben? He has done a major overhaul of how the marketing is done at RIM. If you like, here's a link to watch an interview with him......
    And yet this "Major Overhaul" to date has resulted in a 15 minute interview and an announced Superbowl ad. Granted, they've done well generating buzz, but to be honest that's not that hard given the BB name. At the end of the day, talk is cheap and I'll wait for the actual commercial to see how good of a job this CMO does. The commercial has 30 seconds to grab the interest of half-drunk Americans who generally have given up on the brand and couldn't care less - so it better be good.
    01-27-13 08:18 AM
    I just hope they don't play that "flash" song...
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-27-13 09:31 AM
    They need to do something show stopping funny with nothing but a blackberry symbol in it. Not Canadian funny..... (no offense) but American funny as that is where they need to make up their lost ground.
    01-27-13 09:36 AM
    I just hope they don't play that "flash" song...
    That commercial was pretty good! (Also, what is wrong with Queen?!)
    01-27-13 09:53 AM
    I rarely watch the superbowl because the NFL isn't too popular over here in the UK (plus I preferences football...or soccer as some of you might call it) but I will definitely stay up to see this.
    01-27-13 09:59 AM
    For those that don't watch the game because it's not football (soccer) or the popular sport where you are just remember in the USA it is very popular, the most popular sport. RIM has lost the most in the USA so it's a great thing to advertise during it for that reason. There are too many here who think BlackBerry is already dead and gone.
    01-27-13 10:12 AM
    Gee ..... I think RIM is serious. I have to admit that I'm really stoked now. I can't wait to see the BB10. I hope I don't have to wait too much longer to actually get my hands on one. I have no idea when AT&T will actually release it. They're not the fastest at releasing new systems.
    01-27-13 10:24 AM
    For those that don't watch the game because it's not football (soccer) or the popular sport where you are just remember in the USA it is very popular, the most popular sport. RIM has lost the most in the USA so it's a great thing to advertise during it for that reason. There are too many here who think BlackBerry is already dead and gone.
    I'm not denying that it's not popular lol... I know that the NFL is majorly popular in the US... I wish I could watch more of it here but it's not that easy finding it. Hopefully the buzz for BB10 changes a few opinions.
    01-27-13 10:33 AM
    I agree features won't cut it directly. They need to show what you can do with the features. Like the ad where they share video (I really remember the one where the wife touch gives a video to her husband as he leaves on a trip and tells him better not watch it on the plane).

Show what you can do with the new features with everyday people and add a little humor and you'll have a winner (IMO of course. :-).
    01-27-13 10:38 AM
    Does it have to be memorable for years? No. But it needs to say " hey remember us? Were still here and look what we have!" Many have written BB off. They just have to say were not dead yet and give a glimpse of the future. The rest of the marketing can say more..
    01-27-13 11:31 AM
    They need to do something show stopping funny with nothing but a blackberry symbol in it. Not Canadian funny..... (no offense) but American funny as that is where they need to make up their lost ground.
    Agreed needs to be funny or very awe inspiring. Better if both. The SB commercial spot audience expects either at a minimum. Such is our American consumerism. It's a competitive sport all on its own.
    Last edited by Tim-ANC; 01-27-13 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
    01-27-13 11:36 AM
186 ... 45678