Interesting perspective..... oddly makes a lot of sense! I was somewhat disappointed it wasn't an American company making the American commercial. But hearing what brits say about commercials, and hate being "sold", this could play into RIM's favor.... Looking more forward to the commercial now
    You have to understand a fundamental point....we are very very weird people! We have a peculiar aversion to the whole concept of service and buying and selling (even more weird when you consider what a successful trading nation Britain has always been!). That's why we hate tipping. It's not meanness, it's because it puts the whole arrangement into the open and makes it clear there's a service/customer relationship. Want an example? In pubs we don't tip. Never. But we do buy the barman a drink - which is a tip by another name, but it creates the fuzzy feeling (i.e. it's a hugely hypocritical lie) that we're all mates really and not in a commercial relationship at all.

Same with advertising writ large, so British creative agencies have to be ridiculously arch and disguise the whole arrangement, and that's why they have such a high reputation in that industry globally.

Yes - you are indeed thinking we are insane. And you'd be correct to think so! The Australians are quite similar too...
    kevinnugent and Vorkosigan like this.
    01-26-13 06:49 AM
    Hey guys, managed to get my hands on the exclusive leak of the commercial.
    Shao, you are without a doubt, the man! I laughed so hard...and then the apps....
    01-26-13 09:12 AM
    Well I'm bummed.....I bought all kinds of chips, salsa and beer to settle in to see *one Superbowl commercial* and it turns out it's on Feb 3rd!!!!!

Anybody want to come over and help me with all this beer?!?!?!

(obviously I don't know anything about sports)
    jakie55 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-26-13 09:20 AM
    RIM tried this before and flopped terribly with those Glowing bikes. As a shareholder, I can only hope they fired their marketing staff and hired some high priced marketing talent to come up with something great.

Apple's good at this with their commercials targeting one feature. The newest one showing the "Do Not Disturb" feature is a good example. Anyone that does 3 minutes of research would know that feature isn't unique at all, but Apple sells it as if it is.

I just hope the commercial shows BB10's unique features, but only a couple of them at most. Cramming all the new features into one commercial would be as bad as glowing bikes. Maybe focus on the Peak. Follow up with a commercial showing the balance. Then one showing the keyboard. Then one showing the camera. Then one showing the level of security....etc.

Please though, no glowing bikes.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 09:46 AM
    @zyben

Great post.. Glad to hear RIM is doing what it can to regain it's status with celebs, because that's a continuous free ad-machine long after the initial investment.. Remember Crackberry's celeb sighting weekly? I enjoyed that segment.. Maybe there will be enough BB users to start that up again lol

Also, I'm amazed how a company as big as RIM could go over a year without hiring a CMO?! Insane. But that certainly explains why marketing had been in the tank for the better part of 2 years before Mr. Boulben's effect started to be felt... And why the co-CEO's had to go (among other things) if they couldnt even hire for one of the most important positions in a tech company for 14 months. No wonder they've been dead in the water in the eyes of many. But not for long!

Like the rest of us, I can't wait for the 30th, then for Feb 3rd, then for launch!! I don't think I've ever looked forward to a product release or owning of a product, more than I am for BB10.
    Last edited by NinjaB; 01-26-13 at 10:11 AM.
    zyben likes this.
    01-26-13 10:00 AM
    RIM tried this before and flopped terribly with those Glowing bikes. As a shareholder, I can only hope they fired their marketing staff and hired some high priced marketing talent to come up with something great.
    As a shareholder, shouldn't you be more up to speed as to the goings on at RIM? Have you heard of Frank Boulben? He has done a major overhaul of how the marketing is done at RIM. If you like, here's a link to watch an interview with him......
    01-26-13 10:00 AM
    ^ What he said... And a great interview as well..

Also, as just mentioned, at the time that commercial was released (mid-end 2011), they didnt even have a Chief Marketing Officer.

Let's just say I'm as confident as Kevin is that BB10 will have instagram, that there will be no glowing bikes lol
    Last edited by NinjaB; 01-26-13 at 10:34 AM.
    01-26-13 10:10 AM
    As a shareholder, shouldn't you be more up to speed as to the goings on at RIM? Have you heard of Frank Boulben? He has done a major overhaul of how the marketing is done at RIM. If you like, here's a link to watch an interview with him......
    Plus 1
    01-26-13 10:11 AM
    Really looking forward to Feb 3rd. I definitely feel the super bowl factored in heavily in RIM launching bb10 on Jan 30th. Think about it...superbowl ad spaces fill up almost a year in advance. You can't just buy ad space in the last minute. Super Bowl spots are hot cakes because of its huge audience and guaranteed return of investment. Great worth ThorTEN & FranFLOW!!
    01-26-13 10:42 AM
    If it's gonna air during the super bowl, not only must it show off great features, but it also has to be really funny!
    01-26-13 11:59 AM
    I'm in the UK and will definitely be watching the Superbowl let me be tired after. Don't care. I want to see the ads!

I don't expect anything. Would be a mistake. Most people would probably then complain that their expectations haven't been met. But still. Excited! Getting some beer and friends to watch it. Actually some people seem to be considering a switch after I was spotted bridging with my PlayBook

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 12:04 PM
    i have a prediction and that's Alicia keys song New day playing and maybe her getting up in the morning and doing some cool things throughout the day with the new z10, or perhaps a number of people doing different things. Then in the weeks to follow you see more detailed ads focusing on one person at a time kinda thing.
    the reason I predict this song is it's aspirational, catchy, the theme is embracing life and change and also says blackberry's changed !
    not that I don't like Daniel craig, AC/DC and others just that I think this would be a good fit for a 30 second super bowl ad.
    01-26-13 04:10 PM
    If it's gonna air during the super bowl, not only must it show off great features, but it also has to be really funny!
    I don't know if it has to be funny, but hopefully it will be memorable (in a positive way).
    01-26-13 04:19 PM
    Well I'm bummed.....I bought all kinds of chips, salsa and beer to settle in to see *one Superbowl commercial* and it turns out it's on Feb 3rd!!!!!

Anybody want to come over and help me with all this beer?!?!?!

(obviously I don't know anything about sports)
    Temptress.
    Rickroller and kbz1960 like this.
    01-26-13 04:22 PM
    i have a prediction and that's Alicia keys song New day playing and maybe her getting up in the morning and doing some cool things throughout the day with the new z10, or perhaps a number of people doing different things. Then in the weeks to follow you see more detailed ads focusing on one person at a time kinda thing.
    the reason I predict this song is it's aspirational, catchy, the theme is embracing life and change and also says blackberry's changed !
    not that I don't like Daniel craig, AC/DC and others just that I think this would be a good fit for a 30 second super bowl ad.
    Could be.. Isn't she singing the anthem at superbowl anyway?
    01-26-13 04:25 PM
    I'm in the UK and will definitely be watching the Superbowl let me be tired after. Don't care. I want to see the ads!

I don't expect anything. Would be a mistake. Most people would probably then complain that their expectations haven't been met. But still. Excited! Getting some beer and friends to watch it. Actually some people seem to be considering a switch after I was spotted bridging with my PlayBook

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Will the telecast have the US ads? I'd check if I were you.
    01-26-13 04:25 PM
    People are interested in watching the event (superbowl). A 30 second commercial in between the event -- who will remember it after the event?
    You get 30 seconds for your money but there is a lot of talk of the commercials leading up to and following the event.
    Just saw this on CNN.
    BB10 Superbowl Commercial!-img_00000053.jpg
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-26-13 04:32 PM
    Will the telecast have the US ads? I'd check if I were you.
    No, it definitely won't.
    01-26-13 04:37 PM
    I hope it means the the US carriers will get the phones early February. You don't want to spend a lot of money, create a lot of buzz, only to have it subside before the actual carrier availability. I trust the new RIM knows what they are doing, however.
    01-26-13 04:39 PM
    No, it definitely won't.
    You can always stream it then....
    01-26-13 04:41 PM
    This will be bigger than the "1984" Superbowl ad for the Macintosh. This ad will be referenced for decades as the signpost for the resurgence of the BlackBerry brand at top tier.
    01-26-13 04:49 PM
    You can always stream it then....
    It'd have to be an illegal stream. The official one will be territory restricted in order to protect the rights holders over here. Not hard to get around - and not to illegal to watch in the UK by the way.

I'm sure people would have it up on YouTube quickly for those desperate to see the ad.
    01-26-13 04:51 PM
    Oh for sure... there are lot's of sites that have those streams. Being I'm in Canada, we don't get the high profile commercials here but RIM will be airing it on the Canadian channels too so I'm happy for at least that.
    01-26-13 04:57 PM
    It's possible they'd run it on Sky here, but that audience will be miniscule. Most who do watch (and it won't be that many anyway) will do so on the BBC. No ads there
    01-26-13 05:05 PM
    Very interested to see this commercial. I think whatever it is will set the tone for there entire BB10 marketing strategy.
    01-26-13 05:05 PM
186 ... 34567 ...