I think that's just the airing cost. For a SuperBowl commercial, I think they'll go all out - so the production costs may have doubled that too. I heard James Bond was in it.
    Daniel Craig.
    That is awesome, would make sense why they hired a company from the UK.
    Where did you hear this?
    01-25-13 07:06 PM
    Best four million RIM can spend. Changing customer perception takes a long time, so this commercial acts as the catalyst to jump start it.
    Stocklone likes this.
    01-25-13 07:08 PM
    James Bond/Daniel Craig would be awesome.

But to my knowledge, James Bond brand is already tied to Sony (Xperia). Unless that contract is up (which I don't think it is), then I don't think we'll see 007 with BlackBerry anytime soon.
    01-25-13 07:19 PM
    I just want to know....will the commercial voice-over say "zee" or "zed"?
    01-25-13 07:21 PM
    .......... more people tune in worldwide to watch the final game of the World Cup than watch the Super Bowl.............

Interesting, but World sporting event with Country A vs. Country B compared to American sporting event with American City A Team vs American City B Team.

makes sense more people world wide tune into the world cup.
    01-25-13 07:28 PM
    I just want to know....will the commercial voice-over say "zee" or "zed"?
    Depends on who is doing the voice over, if it is a man from the US, it will be "zee".
    If it is a man from Canada/UK (they hired a UK company for this), it will be "zed".
    01-25-13 07:30 PM
    Interesting, but World sporting event with Country A vs. Country B compared to American sporting event with American City A Team vs American City B Team.

makes sense more people world wide tune into the world cup.
    True, but there are other factors to consider.

I'm not sure in terms of the World Cup, but I've never read/heard about a statistic that X amount of people were watching it, only for the Super Bowl. Also, I'm not sure of the culture (as I don't follow football-soccer) of the World Cup, but half the entertainment of the Super Bowl are the commercials.

Also, the demographic of people watching the World Cup is not necessarily where RIM needs to do a lot of work to convince. BlackBerry (even if they are lower end devices), still owns the markets outside of the US. I'm sure they'll have a marketing campaign for the World Cup, just not as aggressive/big as the Super Bowl...
    01-25-13 07:36 PM
    [snip stuff including how only 105M people watch the SuperBowl]

Read more at The Super Bowl is Not Watched By Anywhere Near a �Billion People� Every Year
    Isn't the point of these ads actually that they can take on a life of their own, and the good ones get re-watched far more times than the SuperBowl itself ever got watched?

(Honest question. I've never watched a SuperBowl but I've seen many SuperBowl commercials, so I'm just assuming this is how it works.)
    01-25-13 07:44 PM
    Isn't the point of these ads actually that they can take on a life of their own, and the good ones get re-watched far more times than the SuperBowl itself ever got watched?

(Honest question. I've never watched a SuperBowl but I've seen many SuperBowl commercials, so I'm just assuming this is how it works.)
    I'm the same. Never watched a game, but have seen the ads. I agree with you. I just put those interesting facts up for general knowledge.
    01-25-13 07:48 PM

Unless they've made it funny or odd I don't know if it will be one of those watched a lot online.
    01-25-13 07:49 PM
    True, but there are other factors to consider.

I'm not sure in terms of the World Cup, but I've never read/heard about a statistic that X amount of people were watching it, only for the Super Bowl. Also, I'm not sure of the culture (as I don't follow football-soccer) of the World Cup, but half the entertainment of the Super Bowl are the commercials.

Also, the demographic of people watching the World Cup is not necessarily where RIM needs to do a lot of work to convince. BlackBerry (even if they are lower end devices), still owns the markets outside of the US. I'm sure they'll have a marketing campaign for the World Cup, just not as aggressive/big as the Super Bowl...

The Super Bowl is absolutely aggressive, by the shear cost of 30 seconds of air time.

What many fail to understand, is that in the US, there will be many people who tune into the Super Bowl not for the game but for the commercials, because advertisers pull out all the stops for these commercials. Its the only event where the next day, the morning news programs will run down the "top ten best and worst Super Bowl commercials".

Talk about how many television sets are tuned into the event. People watch dramas at home, they go to parties for the super bowl, and congregate around someone else's television set.

Can other sporting events say this; Ads Trump Football in Super Bowl Survey

Super Bowl commercials are hugely impactful, and it appears that only Americans understand this. Those outside the US want to tout viewership statistics, but I haven't heard of any other event where folks tune in FOR the commercials.... The networks understand this, thus the cost air time, and the advertisers get this as well as they pay for the exposure. Exposure where viewers are actually paying attention, not off somewhere taking a wizz or refilling their drink.....
    01-25-13 07:51 PM
    Super Bowl commercials are hugely impactful, and it appears that only Americans understand this. Those outside the US want to tout viewership statistics, but I haven't heard of any other event where folks tune in FOR the commercials.... The networks understand this, thus the cost air time, and the advertisers get this as well as they pay for the exposure. Exposure where viewers are actually paying attention, not off somewhere taking a wizz or refilling their drink.....
    To be fair, it's just American's who do this. Whether it's an understanding issue or not remains to be seen. No-one I know likes to be "sold" anything .... but that's probably a cultural thing from our convict days.
    01-25-13 07:58 PM

This is also a very good detail I have not thought to bring up.

Usually this is reserved for the "best of" commercials. Doritos can lay claim to these, Allstate, the E=Trade baby, Mountain Dew, and the likes can also lay claim to YouTube hits
    01-25-13 07:58 PM
    To be fair, it's just American's who do this. Whether it's an understanding issue or not remains to be seen. No-one I know likes to be "sold" anything .... but that's probably a cultural thing from our convict days.

That's the point. The best Super Bowl ads aren't selling anything. They're short 30 second movies with the product included. I love the E-Trade commercials, and the Allstate mayhem commercials, but am a customer of neither.

I for one hate commercials, I refuse to wear T-shirts promoting a product if I have to pay for the shirt, but I look forward to Super Bowl commercials because the good ones are funny, really well produced, and just downright enjoyable when I will have 20 more people at my house to laugh with me

(I mean, of course they're selling something, but they are not the typical, look at my product, buy this please, its the greatest)
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-25-13 08:02 PM
    I wonder if this is the moment they pull out their celebrity endorsements, if any.
    Time for Justin Beiber.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-25-13 08:03 PM
    i heard some guy spill the beans here , so he says on what the commercial will b , any one got info on this ,bs or truth
    01-25-13 08:04 PM
    this is his post *** SPOILER ALERT ***
    Stop reading if you don't want the ad spoiled. I'm breaking my NDA here as well!

This ad essentially shows me in New Orleans at the Superdome with a brand new Z10 surrounded by 77,000 new BB fans. Everyone just watches the Z10 after I plug into the big screen. The game is cancelled after everyone watches for 3 hours. Twitter eventually implodes. Facebook eventually implodes. iPhones weep openly. Androids melt into puddles. WPs evaporate spontaneously. BBM video saves the day and broadcasts to the masses. The Z10 wins MVP and I hoist the Vince Lombardi trophy.

hmmmm ???????????????????/
    Barljo likes this.
    01-25-13 08:06 PM
    Edit <Redundant> Nothing to see here folks....move along.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-25-13 08:10 PM
    What style ad do you all think it will be? Funny? Super techy?
    I hope to God it won't be another BlackBerry commercial that looks like it was designed by a bunch of old men who thought it would be a good idea to feature a bunch of persons of unnatural sexual orientation on bicycles.
    01-25-13 08:11 PM
    Stop reading if you don't want the ad spoiled. I'm breaking my NDA here as well!

This ad essentially shows me in New Orleans at the Superdome with a brand new Z10 surrounded by 77,000 new BB fans. Everyone just watches the Z10 after I plug into the big screen. The game is cancelled after everyone watches for 3 hours. Twitter eventually implodes. Facebook eventually implodes. iPhones weep openly. Androids melt into puddles. WPs evaporate spontaneously. BBM video saves the day and broadcasts to the masses. The Z10 wins MVP and I hoist the Vince Lombardi trophy.

good one
    01-25-13 08:13 PM

Oh yeah, this is going to happen. Yikes.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-25-13 08:13 PM
    The Super Bowl is to Americans what World Cup is to just about everybody else.

nicely and simply put.
    01-25-13 08:15 PM

Awesomeness, now I know when I can take my bathroom break!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-25-13 08:16 PM
    so u figure its bull **** eh
    SixStringMadness likes this.
    01-25-13 08:20 PM
    Awesomeness...I sure hope they pay for both Canada and the USA to see their spot...if we get some lame Brick ad I'll be p_ssed..

(for those that don't know...Canadian TV rights are separate from the main US feed...US get their's...we get ours...theirs are BETTER)
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-25-13 08:22 PM
186 12345 ...