$133,333.33 per second for a 30 sec ad this year which goes for about 4 million bucks total. wow!.....but money well spent. Tons of buzz about Super Bowl ads every year. This is RIM stepping up the plate and swinging for the fences IMO. great to see!
    01-25-13 04:21 PM
    Another good reason to watch Super Bowl
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-25-13 04:23 PM
    WOW first My Ravens make it to the show and now my device of choice will be shown to the world. Time to hit up Facebook and throw a big jab to all family and friends who think I'm an ***** because BlackBerry is my device of choice.

This makes more sense to advertise AFTER the products are launched and to do it during the Superbowl..Genius many Americans will take note and that's right were RIM is hurting.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-25-13 04:39 PM
    If they didn't spend a little extra $$ to have it aired before halftime I would consider it a failed move...but I am excited.to see what they have to offer!!!
    01-25-13 04:40 PM
    That is the right time to advertise not now.
    Superbowl is hands down the best bang you can get in advertising.
    01-25-13 04:40 PM
    01-25-13 05:01 PM
    All I can say is...they better make it good...freaking! good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be someone with cupcakes and simply getting things done...this ad has to be more than simply getting things done.
    01-25-13 05:31 PM
    What style ad do you all think it will be? Funny? Super techy?
    01-25-13 05:39 PM
    Hmmm Superbowl is that similiar to CFL Grey Cup, which must have been 3 months too early for RIM marketing dept. ehhhhhh !!?

Maaaybe 'catch' the halftime show but otherwise will be busy with other things, as professional football was finished for another yr. end of November in our household(s) .... will likely 'catch' the commercial on here, or utube later in the month
    01-25-13 06:09 PM
    That is the right time to advertise not now.
    Superbowl is hands down the best bang you can get in advertising.
    Actually there have been many studies that show that is Not true.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-25-13 06:11 PM
    Shout out to CKCO
    I miss CKCO.... Damn Bell satellite....lol
    01-25-13 06:15 PM
    Although I agree that the Superbowl is not normally the best use of advertising dollars for most companies, RIM is a good exception to that rule.

Right now RIM needs something big to totally reset people's expectations of Blackberry. The Superbowl will be a huge statement that they are back...... And not just the commercial itself, but the fact that RIM is adverstising on the Superbowl itself.

I really, really, really hope they have a good ad ready for this.
    flyingsolid and ctuffy like this.
    01-25-13 06:18 PM
    Man, I've never seen such excitement for a commercial before. Haha. I bet this forum will get temporarily flooded with threads critiquing or praising the commercial for a few days after it airs.
    peter9477 and Spencerdl like this.
    01-25-13 06:19 PM
    I bet this forum will get temporarily flooded with threads critiquing or praising the commercial for a few days after it airs.
    For only $3.8M each, they totally should have done TWO ads! What shortsightedness!
    01-25-13 06:26 PM
    I wonder if this is the moment they pull out their celebrity endorsements, if any.
    Geeoff likes this.
    01-25-13 06:26 PM
    For only $3.8M each, they totally should have done TWO ads! What shortsightedness!
    LMAO!!!.....funny, VERY FUNNY
    01-25-13 06:32 PM
    I think that's just the airing cost. For a SuperBowl commercial, I think they'll go all out - so the production costs may have doubled that too. I heard James Bond was in it.
    01-25-13 06:36 PM
    I don't wanna take credit, but....

Attachment 132489
    Glad your suggestion was passed on. But don't you think an ad would have been in the works for quite a long time now? They would have had a competition for an ad agency, then spent time approving concepts before production began. That all takes time.

They picked a UK firm...very interesting. I wonder if that means a dry British sense of humour and a global message. Whatever, looking forward to the ad.
    01-25-13 06:42 PM
    I think that's just the airing cost. For a SuperBowl commercial, I think they'll go all out - so the production costs may have doubled that too. I heard James Bond was in it.
    Which one? All of them? Now that would be a great commercial!!
    01-25-13 06:43 PM
    It's fascinating for us non-north Americans to see how excited you are and how much it matters to you. I'm not being sarcastic, it genuinely is.
    01-25-13 06:48 PM
    A commercial during the Superbowl isn't always the best strategy or the best use of money, but in RIM's case it makes a lot of sense.

The timing of BB10's release and the Superbowl couldn't have been better.

And even though the whole world doesn't watch the Superbowl, it's HUGE in the US - which is exactly where RIM needs to change everyone's perception badly... and with BB10 they finally have a device they can showcase to help change people's perception.

In the 30 seconds they have, RIM MUST show the device in use as much as possible and they MUST somehow mention that this isn't the some old Blackberry they've seen before (showing isn't enough - they have to tell them as well).

The commercial must NOT be like an iPhone commercial. While it has to showcase the product, it shouldn't feel like an iPhone commercial at all - or it will just get buried underneath all the Apple commercials in everyone's brain.

They also shouldn't try so hard at being cool. It'll go off like a 50 year old trying to be hip.
    anon(3896606) and jakie55 like this.
    01-25-13 06:52 PM
    Which one? All of them? Now that would be a great commercial!!
    Daniel Craig.
    01-25-13 06:56 PM
    after the Superbowl nobody in the US will have the excuse of "nobody told me" about the new BlackBerry phone...
    01-25-13 06:59 PM
    A commercial during the Superbowl isn't always the best strategy or the best use of money, but in RIM's case it makes a lot of sense.

The timing of BB10's release and the Superbowl couldn't have been better.

And even though the whole world doesn't watch the Superbowl, it's HUGE in the US - which is exactly where RIM needs to change everyone's perception badly... and with BB10 they finally have a device they can showcase to help change people's perception.

In the 30 seconds they have, RIM MUST show the device in use as much as possible and they MUST somehow mention that this isn't the some old Blackberry they've seen before (showing isn't enough - they have to tell them as well).

The commercial must NOT be like an iPhone commercial. While it has to showcase the product, it shouldn't feel like an iPhone commercial at all - or it will just get buried underneath all the Apple commercials in everyone's brain.

They also shouldn't try so hard at being cool. It'll go off like a 50 year old trying to be hip.

Look here, a voice of sense and reason..... nice post.
    01-25-13 07:04 PM
    Super Bowl Facts:
    It is illegal, according to the NFL, to show the Super Bowl on any screen larger than 55 inches. They also do not allow the Super Bowl to be shown at any venue that wouldn’t normally show sporting events, such as churches or the like.
    The first two Super Bowl games were called: “The AFL-NFL World Championship Game”. The third Super Bowl was called Super Bowl III and that tradition of numbering it with Roman numerals, rather than by date, has stuck every since.
    According to the USDA, Super Bowl Sunday is the “second highest day of food consumption in the United States, after Thanksgiving.”
    The most people to ever watch a Super Bowl game was around 106.5 million people during Super Bowl XLIV (in 2010). This potentially beat the record, by the TV Show M*A*S*H, of 105.97 million people watching a broadcast, though, given the margin of error in the Nielsen estimates, this can’t be stated for sure. And, of course, it’s not an entirely fair comparison as M*A*S*H wasn’t available in nearly as many homes as the Super Bowl is every year, even within the U.S. itself. For reference, an estimated 77% of all TV sets in the United States tuned in to watch the final episode of M*A*S*H. The closest the Super Bowl has ever come to that number is 49.1% in 1982, aided by a large blizzard that day covering most of the north eastern part of the U.S. It is also generally thought that more people tune in worldwide to watch the final game of the World Cup than watch the Super Bowl.
    The Super Bowl was created as a part of the merger agreement between the NFL and the AFL. While the agreement was being worked out, each year the AFL and NFL would play a championship game against each other. Once the merger was complete, this game would continue, but instead of being the “AFL-NFL World Championship Game” it would simply be a game against the two conferences and was now called the “Super Bowl”, as stated above.
    In the early days, Super Bowls generally featured college and high school marching bands for the halftime show. This gradually changed to featuring various singers and other such performers.
    The first halftime show to feature only one performer was during Super Bowl XXVII when Michael Jackson was hired by the NFL to perform in order to boost ratings.

Read more at The Super Bowl is Not Watched By Anywhere Near a “Billion People” Every Year
    Barljo likes this.
    01-25-13 07:05 PM
186 1234 ...