You know how HTC and other companies add a "software overlay" so to speak over an android OS so even though it's "base" is android, it has a different look with different functions....
    Could blackberry offer a cool handset similar to the z30 hardware but use android as a base os and hot rod it with a BB "overlay" so it's a blend of the best of both worlds to pull in more of the people who pass on BB due to apps and widgets?
    They could still have true BB handsets for those of us who love it, but offer an "android BB" to increase capital?
    05-09-14 01:15 PM
    You know how HTC and other companies add a "software overlay" so to speak over an android OS so even though it's "base" is android, it has a different look with different functions....
    Could blackberry offer a cool handset similar to the z30 hardware but use android as a base os and hot rod it with a BB "overlay" so it's a blend of the best of both worlds to pull in more of the people who pass on BB due to apps and widgets?
    They could still have true BB handsets for those of us who love it, but offer an "android BB" to increase capital?
    They could have done this, but it was a decision they made a while ago to go with BB10. Why put the R&D costs etc into an OS then just use Android?
    kbz1960 and spikesolie like this.
    05-09-14 01:20 PM
    They could have done this, but it was a decision they made a while ago to go with BB10. Why put the R&D costs etc into an OS then just use Android?
    For money, if they also offered, not instead of, all those ppl who returned phones just to go back to android, could keep their phones and just use a different droid launcher, it might increase capital and strengthen blackberry. So many pass on BB due to apps and widgets etc.....

IMO, a lot of the general public would love to have BB hardware with the BB name, many of BBs features like the hub, and still have their familiar droid goodies like widgets and droid apps...
    05-09-14 01:25 PM
    If they did this, why would anyone choose a Blackberry over a samsung or an HTC. Android is just a spec sheet race.. If Blackberry ran android i'd probably still use an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 01:27 PM
    For money, if they also offered, not instead of, all those ppl who returned phones just to go back to android, could keep their phones and just use a different droid launcher, it might increase capital and strengthen blackberry. So many pass on BB due to apps and widgets etc.....

IMO, a lot of the general public would love to have BB hardware with the BB name, many of BBs features like the hub, and still have their familiar droid goodies like widgets and droid apps...
    Are you adding a home button too? I would rather not use android on my bb. If I want to use android I'll get an android.
    Q10Bold, spikesolie, lift and 3 others like this.
    05-09-14 01:29 PM
    Title updated to be more descriptive.

And nothing stops them from skinning android or creating an android launcher now. They simply dont.

Also the hardware is nothing special to speak of (even the Z30 lags significantly behind other flagship phones), and in many many places the name BlackBerry is very tarnished unfortunately.
    05-09-14 01:30 PM
    Are you adding a home button too? I would rather not use android on my bb. If I want to use android I'll get an android.
    Still stands. I don't want to use a BB10 look a like android.
    05-09-14 01:35 PM
    If they did this, why would anyone choose a Blackberry over a samsung or an HTC. Android is just a spec sheet race.. If Blackberry ran android i'd probably still use an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Again, not instead of, in addition to.
    I too would want pure BB all the way, but a lot of ppl seem to want something in the middle.
    I have an htc one also, forget specs, my z30 hardware is better in real life use.
    Ppl could have what they want from blackberry, and not have to lose what they like from android.

Just an idea for BB to diversify and take in more $$s, most of us are BB purists but trying to think like all the millions who aren't....
    05-09-14 01:35 PM

I think it's an awesome idea and I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Posted via CB10
    ronpfid likes this.
    05-09-14 01:42 PM
    What a waste of resources this would be and there is only a race to the bottom in profit margins for Android smartphones. How many Android manufactures are actually making money on their smartphones?
    05-09-14 01:47 PM
    Still stands. I don't want to use a BB10 look a like android.
    Me neither, but many would. I hate rap music but if I owned a music store I'd still sell it...
    05-09-14 01:47 PM
    Me neither, but many would. I hate rap music but if I owned a music store I'd still sell it...
    Yes but why would anyone buy it either way? They aren't selling now and it already runs android apps. The ones who buy BB10 would buy it anyway. The ones who buy android will buy it anyway and by the time BBRY did this some android developer has already beat them to the punch.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    05-09-14 01:50 PM
    I don't know, I think all the ppl I mentioned would buy it, to me blackberry has the most reputable "name" it's like the rolls Royce of phones, Samsung, htc etc are like nissan
    05-09-14 02:06 PM
    I don't know, I think all the ppl I mentioned would buy it, to me blackberry has the most reputable "name" it's like the rolls Royce of phones, Samsung, htc etc are like nissan
    Unfortunately that is no longer the case and unrealistic to the modern smartphone market.
    05-09-14 02:13 PM
    I'm sure that this has been mentioned before. It's a no go, the reason that we still buy BlackBerry is because it isn't an Android or Apple. Also, Chen is talking about enterprise how is that going to work with security? Putting an OS skin on Android would kill BlackBerry by Christmas. The worst idea.
    spikesolie likes this.
    05-09-14 02:22 PM
    How many people? Have you done extensive market research or 3 mates down the boozer?
    05-09-14 02:26 PM
    Again, not instead of, in addition to.
    I too would want pure BB all the way, but a lot of ppl seem to want something in the middle.
    I have an htc one also, forget specs, my z30 hardware is better in real life use.
    Ppl could have what they want from blackberry, and not have to lose what they like from android.

Just an idea for BB to diversify and take in more $$s, most of us are BB purists but trying to think like all the millions who aren't....
    Partially agree. A PAID BlackBerry 10 skin being available in the Play Store is also not a bad idea IMHO.
    05-09-14 02:56 PM
    Partially agree. A PAID BlackBerry 10 skin being available in the Play Store is also not a bad idea IMHO.
    A BB10 is more than just a skin. The HUB is needed and that cannot be replicated with a skin.
    05-09-14 03:05 PM
    Just an idea folks, I think some variation of that would work but no big deal
    05-09-14 03:14 PM
    A BB10 is more than just a skin. The HUB is needed and that cannot be replicated with a skin.
    TouchWiz and HTC Sense are skins and the OS does vary between the two as well as Vanilla Android. I don't think it's far fetched to believe that BlackBerry 10 can be emulated, but I'm no expert by any means...
    05-09-14 03:16 PM
    Likely the only advantage that would be gained in doing this is so BBRY could use google play services. This of course means they would have to join the OHA and would need to run a compatible version of the Android operating system. As others have pointed out that puts them in direct competition with many other players (Sony, HTC LG etc.) if they fork Android they go head on with Amazon and Nokia X.

I'm not seeing how this would change BBRY's current position at all apart from possibly losing their last remaining fan base.
    kbz1960 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    05-09-14 03:47 PM
    I hope BlackBerry eventually does away with Android run time. It's only there to make it easy for developers to make a BlackBerry app from their existing product. The sad thing is, most of these ports are garbage and only partially work. Removing the run time would do away with confused people who buy a BlackBerry device but really want an Android. Did you also buy a Mercedes and ask the factory to replace the engine and interior with that of Ford?

Hopefully BlackBerry will be making some much needed changes to their OS (original BlackBerry changes, not photo copies) so that true BlackBerry development will increase as response to genuine interest and replace the need for run time.

emPowered by ?
    05-09-14 03:58 PM
    What a waste of resources this would be and there is only a race to the bottom in profit margins for Android smartphones. How many Android manufactures are actually making money on their smartphones?
    Pick the poorest performing Android manufacturer, and they'd be doing far, FAR better than BB has done with BB10 thus far. BB lost $5.8B last year alone, most of which can be attributed to the costs of and poor return on BB10. Financially, I'm sure BB would happily trade with an Android manufacturer who sold a similar number of phones.
    05-09-14 04:00 PM
    How many people? Have you done extensive market research or 3 mates down the boozer?
    Umm it's idea, we're not in a board meeting
    05-09-14 04:53 PM

I'm sure that this has been mentioned before. It's a no go, the reason that we still buy BlackBerry is because it isn't an Android or Apple. Also, Chen is talking about enterprise how is that going to work with security? Putting an OS skin on Android would kill BlackBerry by Christmas. The worst idea.
    Yes us, others maybe
    05-09-14 04:54 PM
146 123 ...