I love BB10!! And so do all my relatives (21)and friends (18).. long live BB10!

Posted via CB10
    05-10-16 09:49 PM
    If you want notifications with the improved Facebook (I have been using the always updated and fully functional web version for over a year so I do not understand any continuing Facebook gripes) just set them up to email and or txt and viola you have Facebook notifications in your BlackBerry 10 HUB. Personally I like and prefer they no longer show as they did with the half baked, non functional version.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    I agree. I much prefer the web version. It doesn't interfere with my contacts, I don't want all those notifications on my hub, (when I have time to play on FB, I will see the notifications) , and as a bonus, so far I don't have to download their messenger app!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    05-10-16 10:14 PM
    The big issue is that although the BB10 version of FaceBook was missing some features, it was great at giving notifications in the Hub (seeing who liked your photos or comments, or who sent you a message, etc.)

Buying a Priv and not having those Hub notifications, or seeing your BB10 device lose those notifications after you do the latest "update" makes the FaceBook app even less functional than it was previously.
    That was my point: why do people complain about using the webpage for facebook on bb10 if the Priv facebook app cannot send notifications to the hub either?
    05-10-16 10:30 PM
    That was my point: why do people complain about using the webpage for facebook on bb10 if the Priv facebook app cannot send notifications to the hub either?
    Because notifications on the BB10 app worked before the latest "update." Facebook was a native BB10 app. That's why!

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    05-10-16 11:11 PM
    Because notifications on the BB10 app worked before the latest "update." Facebook was a native BB10 app. That's why!

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    It was a horrible native BlackBerry 10 app. Other than notifications it was pretty useless. As I noted use the Web version and set up email or text notifications and it's again in your HUB. The Web version is fully functional if you like Facebook. Works as well as the always updating Android version on my Android tablet. This gripe needs to be put to rest.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    05-11-16 01:12 AM
    Really? Yes
    Says who? Most who have been carefully following BlackBerry developments for the last year or so.
    Is it official? No, it is not in BlackBerry's business interest to talk about it. They will continue to support BB10 for their business customers including NIAP security certification updates (10.33, etc) for as long as they need to. BB10 fans can continue to use their current hardware for as long as they care to, but otherwise that's about it for BB10.
    Officially there is nothing said about BB10 being discontinued. It's just speculation on this forum. Watch the video that's is here and you will see that BlackBerry hardware is here to stay http://m.crackberry.com/john-chen-sm...rket-saturated

They might not actively purse the consumer market but we will continue to have BlackBerry phones for a long time to come.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-11-16 03:15 AM
    Officially there is nothing said about BB10 being discontinued. It's just speculation on this forum. Watch the video that's is here and you will see that BlackBerry hardware is here to stay John Chen talks to CNN Money about the saturated smartphone market | CrackBerry.com

They might not actively purse the consumer market but we will continue to have BlackBerry phones for a long time to come.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    He didn't say BB10 hardware..... and the two devcies mentioned are Android devcies.

Sorry but BB10 was pretty much discontinued over a year ago.... and that is a fact. Now we don't know if BlackBerry has any plans to resurrect BB10... that they will suddenly rehire the BB10 developer teams they let go, and will move the ones back that were assigned to Android Apps... that's speculation. Or that they will go back and ask developers to work on native apps again... that is speculation. We don't know if the LEAP can still be made as it and the Classic are using the same chipsets.. thus the same memory module that Chen says is unavailable. Only BB10 device that is possible still in production is the Passport... but that's speculation.

But Chen's "current" stance on hardware is very different from where it was only a month ago.... why? Because today he is talking to potential customers of EXISTING devcies, last month he was talking to investors worried about the loses from staying in hardware. He assured them that if BlackBerry can't make money, he WILL get out of hardware. Unless the PRIV has made a miraculous sales recovery, I don't see hardware being profitable. And I especially don't see it happening with two midgrade devcies with even lower ASPs. Now I expect that Chen's plan is to cut out the Carriers and Retailers so that BlackBerry gets the full retail price.... thus a higher ASP. Problem I see is many business still get subsidies from Carriers in the US. There is no guarantee that this new business model will be successful.

Is there a niche of goverment users and highly regulated users that want an end-to-end solution... yes there is. Is it a viable market for BlackBerry? That's the billion dollar question that I think Chen doesn't really even know.

Right now, when it comes to BlackBerry and hardware... it's all just speculation.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    05-11-16 08:52 AM
    He didn't say BB10 hardware..... and the two devcies mentioned are Android devcies.

Sorry but BB10 was pretty much discontinued over a year ago.... and that is a fact. Now we don't know if BlackBerry has any plans to resurrect BB10... that they will suddenly rehire the BB10 developer teams they let go, and will move the ones back that were assigned to Android Apps... that's speculation. Or that they will go back and ask developers to work on native apps again... that is speculation. We don't know if the LEAP can still be made as it and the Classic are using the same chipsets.. thus the same memory module that Chen says is unavailable. Only BB10 device that is possible still in production is the Passport... but that's speculation.

But Chen's "current" stance on hardware is very different from where it was only a month ago.... why? Because today he is talking to potential customers of EXISTING devcies, last month he was talking to investors worried about the loses from staying in hardware. He assured them that if BlackBerry can't make money, he WILL get out of hardware. Unless the PRIV has made a miraculous sales recovery, I don't see hardware being profitable. And I especially don't see it happening with two midgrade devcies with even lower ASPs. Now I expect that Chen's plan is to cut out the Carriers and Retailers so that BlackBerry gets the full retail price.... thus a higher ASP. Problem I see is many business still get subsidies from Carriers in the US. There is no guarantee that this new business model will be successful.

Is there a niche of goverment users and highly regulated users that want an end-to-end solution... yes there is. Is it a viable market for BlackBerry? That's the billion dollar question that I think Chen doesn't really even know.

Right now, when it comes to BlackBerry and hardware... it's all just speculation.
    From a customers perspective, it seems BB10 is dead and buried but if you look at from a business perspective,with the targeted market being the enterprise, government and government departments, you will realise that BB10 is here to stay. Security is one on BlackBerry's selling point and BB10 is how BlackBerry provides this and is most likely going to continue doing so. A new BB10 device won't be released this year and possibly also next year. They will try to push all the stock they have at the moment. Late next year or early 2017 BlackBerry will release a high end BB10 possibly a replacement for the Passport because a number of them will be up for upgrade.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-11-16 11:34 AM
    From a customers perspective, it seems BB10 is dead and buried but if you look at from a business perspective,with the targeted market being the enterprise, government and government departments, you will realise that BB10 is here to stay. Security is one on BlackBerry's selling point and BB10 is how BlackBerry provides this and is most likely going to continue doing so. A new BB10 device won't be released this year and possibly also next year. They will try to push all the stock they have at the moment. Late next year or early 2017 BlackBerry will release a high end BB10 possibly a replacement for the Passport because a number of them will be up for upgrade.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    .... talk about your speculation.

Not even a rumor of such a device exists.
    Would Google allow BlackBerry to release a new device running a forked version of Android?
    Could BlackBerry afford to pay for new custom drivers for a new chipset for BB10? With a very limited number of possible customers.
    What would it cost for internal BB10 updates to support the new hardware?
    How much would extending BB10 customer support for another year cost? Would it have to be world wide or would they drop some markets and languages?
    Will BB10 work well enough without updating simple things like the Browser? What would those updates cost?
    And why would anyone sit back and wait for BlackBerry to offer a solution, that they don't seem to even be working on?

But ultimately you need to look at what BlackBerry is doing... these two new midrange devcies are going to be Android. And the customers that these are going to be directed at are the same enterprise and goverment customers - might even be direct sales. Either Android is the future, or they go back to BB10... don't see any reason to move forward and away from the consumer market with Android if it's not what they plan to us on all future devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-11-16 12:01 PM
    It was a horrible native BlackBerry 10 app. Other than notifications it was pretty useless. As I noted use the Web version and set up email or text notifications and it's again in your HUB. The Web version is fully functional if you like Facebook. Works as well as the always updating Android version on my Android tablet. This gripe needs to be put to rest.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    Not everyone likes using the web version of FB. Lots of people want their notifications from the app, in spite of your opinion.

Don't some email accounts have a delay in reaching BlackBerry phones? I want my notifications to arrive from the app, so that I get them instantly!
    05-11-16 12:11 PM
    But ultimately you need to look at what BlackBerry is doing... these two new midrange devcies are going to be Android. And the customers that these are going to be directed at are the same enterprise and goverment customers - might even be direct sales.
    Yup, I think BBRY is all in on securing Android. The mid-range phones are meant to be attractive as company-issued devices. I'm sure that if they're staying in the handset business at all they are working hard to improve hardware-level device security, as well as locking down Android as tightly as possible. By sending out the security updates as quickly as they've been doing, they're also sending a signal to their corporate customers that they mean it.
    05-11-16 12:15 PM

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Where are you even getting this from? There is absolutely no indication anything you say is true. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but, come on.....
    05-11-16 04:28 PM
    I will bookmark this thread so I can find it on Dec.31, 2017. No BB10 phones will be released by then. And some people will still keep hope alive!
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    05-11-16 07:29 PM
    I will bookmark this thread so I can find it on Dec.31, 2017. No BB10 phones will be released by then. And some people will still keep hope alive!
    Well he DID only say "2016" so 2018 could bring the resurgence!
    05-11-16 08:38 PM
    There's no indication at this point that those phones will run BB10, just that BlackBerry will make two new mid range Android phones by spring 2017. Chen wants those devices to complement his software and services sales. We can expect there will be more Android phones if BlackBerry can make a profit on them.
    05-11-16 09:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Denise in Los Angeles;12424586]The big issue is that although the BB10 version of FaceBook was missing some features, it was great at giving notifications in the Hub (seeing who liked your photos or comments, or who sent you a message, etc.)

Buying a Priv and not having those Hub notifications, or seeing your BB10 device lose those notifications after you do the latest "update" makes the FaceBook app even less functional than it was previously.[/QUOT.

Facebook is Hub Integrated on the BlackBerry Priv I get all my Facebook notification in my Hub on my BlackBerry Priv. Even Likes, I just keep them turned of because it blows my phone up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv �
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 saved by PWA?-57761.jpg  
    05-11-16 11:33 PM
    If Web Apps are the 'future', how come BB10's interface is so clunky in this regard?

- limit to 8 running apps.

- No development on the native Web browser. This includes performance and security updates.

- Poor scores in HTML 5 tests, when compared to other browsers like Chrome.

- Web Browser tabs only exist in the browser. In Chrome for Android, you can have Web site tabs exist in the app switcher.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-12-16 02:41 AM
    There's no indication at this point that those phones will run BB10, just that BlackBerry will make two new mid range Android phones by spring 2017. Chen wants those devices to complement his software and services sales. We can expect there will be more Android phones if BlackBerry can make a profit on them.
    Going Android is just a tactical move. Something to get the numbers up to justify the hardware business. It's long term outlook is not very good because that market is crowded. It will take a lot of marketing to maintain market share with Android. This will reduce the profit margins. BlackBerry's plan is to provide end to end solutions, which they can do best using BB10.

If however Android phones are profitable enough, BlackBerry will support both OSes.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-12-16 03:14 AM
    People like androids and iOS more because of apps. Say whatever you want about it (I saw some people here who didn't agree about BB10 users left because of apps) or try asking anyone if they would even consider to buy an expensive but low spec phone that don't have instagram, snapchat and whole lots of apps people nowadays use. You will find the answer. Don't ask here. Most of us never use those things anyway. Even kids are using WhatsApp to contact their parents, upload pics to show off to friends on Instagram, show off their face with dogs' filters proudly etc. You think after they have their own money, they can live without those things and go for BB10 just because its a BlackBerry and have Hub (those are the only reasons I could think of about anyone staying with this platform)? No way. You're old and what you want doesn't really matters. Its what the current generations want that matters (Its about MOVING FORWARD rather than KEEP MOVING but in a circle).

Its too late for apps now but not for some better marketing strategies. BlackBerry should have focused on advertising their products. And with affordable prices too. I showed pics of Priv to friends (I can afford some pics only. LOL) and they really love its looks. Sad that its just too expensive and no one seems to remember about it when they were looking for new phones. They just go for XiaoMi or Huawei (lots of TV and web commercials here in my country so it seems promisingly good). Good specs, low prices. Yeah, BlackBerry can't do that because of bla-bla-bla but who cares? People buys things that they've heard about when they can afford them. I heard about Priv but can't afford one. Its just too expensive. And by the time I have enough money, better devices from other manufacturers have been released!

BBfans: Its not for you. Its for professional and rich people.
    Me: Pfft. How many of them even buy it or rather, heard about it? LOL

Oh. And as much as we love BB10, its dead. Get used to it. It won't be revived just because certain organisations want apps to be cross-platforms.

IMHO of course. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-16 06:28 AM
    If Web Apps are the 'future', how come BB10's interface is so clunky in this regard?

- limit to 8 running apps.

- No development on the native Web browser. This includes performance and security updates.

- Poor scores in HTML 5 tests, when compared to other browsers like Chrome.

- Web Browser tabs only exist in the browser. In Chrome for Android, you can have Web site tabs exist in the app switcher.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    There is a very simple explanation: neglect of BB10 since John Chen joined.

These are minor fixes, much easier to fix with fewer resources than developing an android BlackBerry. But it is unlikely that BlackBerry will do it.
    They seem to have decided that android is the only way BlackBerry might be acquired. By Google? I don't know. I really don't understand why else they have stubbornly continued with the obvious failure which has been android BlackBerry.
    It's a much bigger and inexcusable failure than bb10.

Ggogle Playstore downloads DO NOT lie.
    Chrome has 1Billion to 5Billion downloads. All BlackBerry apps have 100k to 500k downloads.
    This proves to everyone that BlackBerry Priv represents about 1/10000 = 0.01% of the android market.

BB10 is 30 times bigger, even after two years of abandonment...
    05-12-16 07:23 AM
    Three years and eight phone and BlackBerry hasn't made a profit on BB10. Why would that suddenly change?

And sorry but without real development by hundreds of software coders and millions of dollars of investment by Chen., BB10 in 2017/2018 is going to be left behind. Hardware will be moving on to USB4, NFC2, LTE+.... which BB10 doesn't currently support.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-12-16 07:44 AM
    I expect when 2016 ends.. .there will still be a number looking for an announcement of new BB10 hardware.
    Well, John Chen already said last month in an interview that they will support BB10 at least until mid 2018 and then assess the business situation, because certain governments and others love BB10.

That's enough time to bring out a Z50 and a new Classic... and if they have to develop new drivers anyways, let's say a small batch of overprized PlayBooks wouldn't hurt.

No, honestly, there are many voices on CrackBerry telling us for years that they will leave the handset business soon, but in reality they will launch two more Android devices in 2016 (against all the speculation that the Priv has been their last device) and their strategy has been announced as

John Chen confirms 'we have a range of products after this' in interview with Fox Business | CrackBerry.com

Another BB10 device wouldn't surprise me that much, while BB11 with Qt5 and 64bit support would be quite a big shock even for dreamer like me (... but hey, in the end we never really know what their devs are cooking, ...it's still a large software kitchen and I wouldn't think they have the same stuff on their menu every day.).
    05-12-16 08:00 AM
    Three years and eight phone and BlackBerry hasn't made a profit on BB10. Why would that suddenly change?

And sorry but without real development by hundreds of software coders and millions of dollars of investment by Chen., BB10 in 2017/2018 is going to be left behind. Hardware will be moving on to USB4, NFC2, LTE+.... which BB10 doesn't currently support.
    According to IEEE Spectrum, software engineers will be the first to be replaced by programs/apps (robots will be needed for other types of enginners), so that should not be a problem. Besides, if you can program in linux/android you should be able to program in Unix/QNX after a few days. They are very close. If you cannot do it, you should not have made it through university and you deserve to be replaced by an app.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tec...Alert_05-12-16
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-12-16 at 01:13 PM.
    05-12-16 11:27 AM
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful posts. Interesting stuff. With regards to PWA's, I am wondering when and if we will reach "peak Android". Is Android's fatal flaw that it is so app-centric?

I think a lot of companies would prefer to interact with their customer base directly without Google as a "middleman". This is the appeal of PWA's. With that said, a post-Android world may give rise to a range of unique OS and browsers.

Further thoughts?
    05-12-16 12:08 PM
    Thanks everyone for the thoughtful posts. Interesting stuff. With regards to PWA's, I am wondering when and if we will reach "peak Android". Is Android's fatal flaw that it is so app-centric?

I think a lot of companies would prefer to interact with their customer base directly without Google as a "middleman". This is the appeal of PWA's. With that said, a post-Android world may give rise to a range of unique OS and browsers.

Further thoughts?
    We had this conversation five years ago here on CrackBerry, HTML5 was going to change the way people used their smartphones. By 2016, we weren't going to even need apps... a browser would do it all. They simple truth is apps allow companies to do things that a website doesn't, they can be more secure, they can be tailored to work best with the user's device - developers know a phone with MM is probably more powerful and able to run better graphic than a Lollipop device.... and if you can get a user to download your app, they are more likely to "visit" you again.

You want the future.... who knows. But if you have ever used SIRI and noticed how it improves year, after year.... might be a point where she can replace both apps and the browser. Let's just hope she doesn't decide to replace all of us too..
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-12-16 01:02 PM
85 1234