So I was on the subway this morning in Toronto, and I am 80% sure I saw someone with a BlackBerry Priv running BlackBerry 10.

What I saw: was a full touch curved screen BlackBerry.
    It had the BB10 hub, which I know it had to be because he swiped to the right to pull up the filters for emails accounts on the left side. And then when exiting the Hub, he just swiped to the left and I saw the app grid.

What I didn't see: was the slide out keyboard. For all I know it could be a curved screen full touch BlackBerry 10 device.

I'm sure it wasn't a Z30 or Leap because I saw the top of the screen and the screen was clealry curved.

It was most definitely running BlackBerry 10 because of the distinct Hub that I saw.

So it sounds like the BB10 Priv might exist, but considering all the talk about drivers for the new chipsets and stuff, perhaps it was a test device only using the old chipsets.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 01:54 PM
    So I was on the subway this morning in Toronto, and I am 80% sure I saw someone with a BlackBerry Priv running BlackBerry 10.

What I saw: was a full touch curved screen BlackBerry.
    It had the BB10 hub, which I know it had to be because he swiped to the right to pull up the filters for emails accounts on the left side. And then when exiting the Hub, he just swiped to the left and I saw the app grid.

What I didn't see: was the slide out keyboard. For all I know it could be a curved screen full touch BlackBerry 10 device.

I'm sure it wasn't a Z30 or Leap because I saw the top of the screen and the screen was clealry curved.

It was most definitely running BlackBerry 10 because of the distinct Hub that I saw.

So it sounds like the BB10 Priv might exist, but considering all the talk about drivers for the new chipsets and stuff, perhaps it was a test device only using the old chipsets.

Posted via CB10
    When the Priv was first revealed the screens clearly showed the devices to be 'running' BB10. It's been speculated that the screen images were nothing more than gels placed on the glass and backlit from behind. That may well be true but BlackBerry would have been fools not to be at least testing BB10 at that stage, as to whether they're still testing it on the Priv or another future device remains to be seen.

Our BB rep said a couple of weeks before the Priv launch that the plan was to launch on Android first, gauge the success and possibly launch a BB10 version in the new year but it would only be available through Shop BlackBerry and enterprise channels. Again, we'll have to see.

I used to catch the GO train into Toronto from the West and on a few occasions witnessed the same guy using BlackBerry style devices I had never seen before. It's not uncommon for testing to be done in the wild, it produces far more accurate results and faster too and if you just go about your business nobody seems to notice nor care.
    outlooker likes this.
    12-09-15 02:19 PM
    When the Priv was first revealed the screens clearly showed the devices to be 'running' BB10. It's been speculated that the screen images were nothing more than gels placed on the glass and backlit from behind. That may well be true but BlackBerry would have been fools not to be at least testing BB10 at that stage, as to whether they're still testing it on the Priv or another future device remains to be seen.

Our BB rep said a couple of weeks before the Priv launch that the plan was to launch on Android first, gauge the success and possibly launch a BB10 version in the new year but it would only be available through Shop BlackBerry and enterprise channels. Again, we'll have to see.

I used to catch the GO train into Toronto from the West and on a few occasions witnessed the same guy using BlackBerry style devices I had never seen before. It's not uncommon for testing to be done in the wild, it produces far more accurate results and faster too and if you just go about your business nobody seems to notice nor care.
    The fat guy who showed off the slider said it was a fake phone.
    He's also the reason for android BlackBerry.
    But they were probably working on many prototypes. Fortunately we got a BlackBerry 10 passport and not an android passport. Though they should have released the SE as an android variant too, would have probably sold well alongside priv.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-09-15 02:27 PM
    The fat guy who showed off the slider said it was a fake phone.
    He's also the reason for android BlackBerry.
    But they were probably working on many prototypes. Fortunately we got a BlackBerry 10 passport and not an android passport. Though they should have released the SE as an android variant too, would have probably sold well alongside priv.
    Well, the one I saw this morning was definitely a real phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 04:25 PM
    Sure enough they're also testing a 64bit version of BlackBerry 10.

I just can't imagine how fast it gets with twice of the power...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 05:07 AM
    Sure enough they're also testing a 64bit version of BlackBerry 10.

I just can't imagine how fast it gets with twice of the power...

Posted via CB10
    But since it won't have an updated Android runtime, or maybe even no Android runtime at all, there will be serious lack of apps. I wouldn't get it under those circumstances.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    DB_Cooper likes this.
    12-10-15 08:29 AM
    But since it won't have an updated Android runtime, or maybe even no Android runtime at all, there will be serious lack of apps. I wouldn't get it under those circumstances.

How do you know it won't come with an updated Android Runtime? I've never heard anyone from BlackBerry suggest or even hint that will be the case. Have you had an advanced peek at 10.3.3?
    12-10-15 09:03 AM
    How do you know it won't come with an updated Android Runtime? I've never heard anyone from BlackBerry suggest or even hint that will be the case. Have you had an advanced peek at 10.3.3?
    Read just about all of the posts on CB since the Priv has been released. There's tons about the Android runtime not being updated to comply with Google terms.

12-10-15 09:46 AM
    Read just about all of the posts on CB since the Priv has been released. There's tons about the Android runtime not being updated to comply with Google terms.

That might the case, but posts on a forum is not proof. A BB10 Priv is not an Android Priv, why would the same rules apply? If having a runtime is against Google's rules, then why did they let BB get away with it for so long? There's no reason in the world Google would block a simple runtime on BB, are they going to block Windows when they inevitably use Android runtime as they're in bed together on so many other projects? Or how about Tizen with Android runtime, marketed exclusively by the biggest Android phone supplier on the planet, are they breaking Google's rules too?

There has been no definitive proof offered that BB will not update the Android runtime other than the musings on tech forums. In fact, just recently I received a message from BlackBerry World advising me to switch my Skype app to the one from the Amazon App store as support for the app through BBW will eventually cease but will continue through Android. This to me indicates some sort of future for the Android runtime.

BB10 Priv exists. Or at least a full touch curved screen BB10 exists-img_20151210_120500.jpg
    Last edited by HelloNuman; 12-10-15 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Attach Image
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    12-10-15 10:06 AM
    Also, we don't see BlackBerry as a member of OHA.

Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance

There's Samsung, HTC, Huawei, Oppo, Ericsson.... not BlackBerry
    12-10-15 11:21 AM
    That might the case, but posts on a forum is not proof. A BB10 Priv is not an Android Priv, why would the same rules apply?
    Huh?

Now that BlackBerry is part of OHA and have produced a proper Android device different rules apply.

If having a runtime is against Google's rules, then why did they let BB get away with it for so long? There's no reason in the world Google would block a simple runtime on BB, are they going to block Windows when they inevitably use Android runtime as they're in bed together on so many other projects?
    As I said above Google didn't block anything before because BlackBerry wasn't part of OHA. Now BlackBerry is in a different game and has to follow a different set of rules.

12-10-15 11:35 AM
    Huh?

Now that BlackBerry is part of OHA and have produced a proper Android device different rules apply.

As I said above Google didn't block anything before because BlackBerry wasn't part of OHA. Now BlackBerry is in a different game and has to follow a different set of rules.

What about Samsung and Tizen?
    12-10-15 11:41 AM
    With the Priv closed you cannot tell it is a slider, and the Hub has swipe right for acct filters and left for wallpaper.

Could have just been a Priv.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    12-10-15 11:46 AM
    I'm not going to get into an argument with you over this. Most people believe that BlackBerry will stop updating the Android runtime on BB10 devices, or possibly drop it altogether.

I don't know if they will or not. Obviously, I hope they do keep updating it. I'm simply stating what has already been stated multiple times.

12-10-15 12:43 PM
    With the Priv closed you cannot tell it is a slider, and the Hub has swipe right for acct filters and left for wallpaper.

Could have just been a Priv.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    Really?

I don't recall being able to swipe to the left to go to the app drawer. Can someone confirm?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 05:30 PM
    At one point a BB10 slider was on the table.... key word is "was", no one I talk with now can confirm if it's even a shadow of a thought anymore

12-10-15 05:43 PM
    From the BlackBerry Dev blog concerning future security patches:

"Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10*� BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10."

The bottom line is with a Runtime forever stuck at Jellybean, and no Google Play Services (which more and more apps require every day), the ecosystem is pretty bleak.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-10-15 06:03 PM
    It's pretty obvious that the priv can run BB10 OS. I'm sure they have a few test phones running BB10, After all Blackberry designed the Priv. In the end they chose not to release a BB10 Priv.
    12-10-15 06:03 PM
    It's pretty obvious that the priv can run BB10 OS. I'm sure they have a few test phones running BB10, After all Blackberry designed the Priv. In the end they chose not to release a BB10 Priv.
    Only if they used the Passport's chipset in a Priv chassis. Qualcomm and Chen specifically said they did not build BB10 drivers for the Snapdragon 808.
    12-10-15 06:05 PM
    Huh?

Speaking of the OHA, why is the Blackberry name not listed among it's members. I don't pretend to know anything about the organization, really, but just curious why it is not listed on their website. Is it just a matter of the list not being updated yet, or maybe not ALL companies are not listed. Can someone enlighten me?
    12-10-15 06:43 PM
    Speaking of the OHA, why is the Blackberry name not listed among it's members. I don't pretend to know anything about the organization, really, but just curious why it is not listed on their website. Is it just a matter of the list not being updated yet, or maybe not ALL companies are not listed. Can someone enlighten me?
    Maybe it hasn't been updated, or perhaps it's sufficient to agree to adhere to its regulations.
    12-10-15 06:53 PM
    Maybe it hasn't been updated, or perhaps it's sufficient to agree to adhere to its regulations.
    So as far as you are aware, there is no definitive listing for compliance? I was thinking perhaps that they just have not updated the list on their website yet. But then, if you examine that list of handset makers, it seems like a short list. There must be many other companies that are not listed there eg Blu --- is that correct? It just seems to me, looking at the website, that it is lacking a great deal in explanation, details and completeness.
    12-10-15 06:59 PM
    So as far as you are aware, there is no definitive listing for compliance? I was thinking perhaps that they just have not updated the list on their website yet. But then, if you examine that list of handset makers, it seems like a short list. There must be many other companies that are not listed there eg Blu --- is that correct? It just seems to me, looking at the website, that it is lacking a great deal in explanation, details and completeness.
    It is a private contract after all. I suppose they release what they feel like releasing when and if they choose to.
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-10-15 07:06 PM
    Tizen doesn't ship with the ability to run Android apps. A end user has to take a Tizen device and install third party software on to it in order to make Android apps work on Tizen.

Tizen and Samsung is nothing at all like what BlackBerry has done with BB10. BlackBerry created BB10 with the ability to piggy back off of Android. Samsung didn't do that with Tizen. A third party developer did it for them. Huge difference there.
    12-10-15 09:44 PM
    The bottom line is with a Runtime forever stuck at Jellybean, and no Google Play Services (which more and more apps require every day), the ecosystem is pretty bleak.
    Totally agree.

12-11-15 09:52 AM
33 12