If it was that easy, it would have been done. But I can't see a release of BB10 on Playbook happen without BBM - that would be like introducing the playbook w/o a mail client

If BBM can be added to iOS or Android as an app, there's no reason there can't also be a similar PlayBook app, even without BB10.
    06-01-13 04:39 PM
    If it was that easy, it would have been done. But I can't see a release of BB10 on Playbook happen without BBM - that would be like introducing the playbook w/o a mail client
    haha! bridge wasn't even available at release. don't worry, email client within 60 days

Sent from an ATM
    06-01-13 08:04 PM
    Would love to have bb10 for playbook but not holding my breath... it will happen when it happens!

From the mind of a MaNiAc
    06-01-13 09:02 PM
    If it was that easy, it would have been done.
    I never said it was easy. However, I think it's fair to say a BBM PlayBook app would be easier to accomplish than BB10 on the PlayBook.
    06-02-13 12:16 AM
    agreed. playbook users don't have bbm not because it can't be done. its stupid internal decisions not to deliver is the reason

Sent from an ATM
    Or focusing the resources.
    06-04-13 04:55 PM
    I see your point on t the price range. Nonetheless there are tablets with mobile system OS (apple & android). Now apple is on the high up range while you can get to really cheap android tablets in comparison (to me no point on an android tablet for my personal taste and preferences). The vaio Duo cost about 1300-1400 Euro for a 128GB ssd and 4GB Ram here... :S, so I d say the price range is much higher than the ipads which are the top end price for tablets (on mobile OS).

W8 I do not like on full desktop yet (adjustment issues I guess lol) but indeed, on a portable device like the vaio they are a totally different issue. I used to have a netbook for portability before (also a vaio) which ended up being too slow and not really on par with my demands. That quickly turned into a perfect second hand gift to my parents for browsing.

My great uncle with the Vaio Duo though is pretty happy with his device and its portability but always comments on how he could have bought a much more powerful laptop with the same money.

My point: we have now OS based tablets and then portable PC's evolution into tablet-style lap top computers. The latter I find quite interesting as to usability but higher price yet. Should be really down soon.

"I would love to be able to put a convertible in a docking station, through something like a "lightpeak/tunderbolt" interface, to get access to a dedicated GPU/more RAM/a faster processor." - this is wht I would like to see soon enough. I think that what BB is doing will actually be something in between (I guess at some point the joint cpu of a dock station and the phone will be co-operating as modules? is this possible - do I get it right?)
    I completely understand your point and agree on the fundamental difference between a W8 tablet and a phone with a 10 inch touchscreen.

Where I disagree is with the prices though. Since Apple had the nerve to introduce the 128gb iPad, the old Sony Vaio Duo is pretty close to its price.

Where I agree though, is that the price of W8 tablets will decline soon enough, and that they will enter iPad 32gb and Nexus 10 pricing points in the forseeable future.

Considering docking stations
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/05/i...2-2013-launch/
    ^
    This helps in having a universal standard for fast I/O that would make a powerful docking station possible.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-vaio-z...dock-28161695/
    ^
    Sony actually used this docking station concept already in 2011/12.
    I found the idea fascinating but the price far to expensive for the power I gained through the dock.
    The Notebook itself was gorgeous though.

A video:

And if you wondered why I said "the old Vaio duo", this is the reason:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/s...duo-13-review/
    ^
    I'll buy one this year

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 01:27 AM
    I would be nice to introduce a little bit of official BlackBerry rumble on this tomorrow, just to spoil that Apple party...

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 10:24 PM
    I would be nice to introduce a little bit of official BlackBerry rumble on this tomorrow, just to spoil that Apple party...

Posted via CB10
    If the PlayBook were the kind of product for which an announcement could spoil an Apple event, we wouldn't still be asking when that same PlayBook was going to get BB10, probably because it would've been available when the Z10 launched.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-10-13 12:05 AM
    Sony VAIO Duo 13 review: a much-improved take on the Windows 8 slider
    ^
    I'll buy one this year
    Were I in the market for a tablet (or even a small notebook), I'd seriously consider one of those.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-10-13 05:01 PM
    I completely understand your point and agree on the fundamental difference between a W8 tablet and a phone with a 10 inch touchscreen.

Where I disagree is with the prices though. Since Apple had the nerve to introduce the 128gb iPad, the old Sony Vaio Duo is pretty close to its price.

Where I agree though, is that the price of W8 tablets will decline soon enough, and that they will enter iPad 32gb and Nexus 10 pricing points in the forseeable future.

Considering docking stations
    Intel formalizes Thunderbolt 2, promises products this year
    ^
    This helps in having a universal standard for fast I/O that would make a powerful docking station possible.

Sony VAIO Z Series: 13.3″ Ultraportable with Light Peak dock - SlashGear
    ^
    Sony actually used this docking station concept already in 2011/12.
    I found the idea fascinating but the price far to expensive for the power I gained through the dock.
    The Notebook itself was gorgeous though.

A video:

Sony VAIO Duo 13 review: a much-improved take on the Windows 8 slider
    ^
    I'll buy one this year

Posted via CB10
    Maybe I'll get one next year when they are cheaper
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-10-13 05:42 PM
    It would be interesting if BB don't release BB10 for Playbook. I know they cut the prices on the Playbook here in the UK and they sold like wildfire, but a lot of people bought them because BB announced that it would be getting BB10. I wonder how much the sales figures went up after the announcement and if they don't release BB10, how many civil suits will be brought against BB for false advertising and misleading the public into buying a product under false pretenses and promises? I love my PB, don't get me wrong but this could turn into a legal PR nightmare for BB unless they announce something before December at the latest.
    06-20-13 09:04 AM
186 ... 678