From the media interviews RIM provided to the media on july 3, the management team stressed that they would release BB10 only when the platform is ready. I am getting kinda worried that this could mean that they would be willing to delay launch until Q2 or Q3 of 2013 if necessary. In addition, does this mean that everything for the platform needs to be nearly perfect? Every major app is available in Appworld, every US carrier is on LTE, and every car that is QNX driven is BB10 compatible?
    07-04-12 08:37 AM
    Sure.......
    07-04-12 09:45 AM
    I'm pretty much wondering the same as the OP.. I've decided not to wait for a new BB phone.. I'm grabbing a s3 as its the coolest phone out there at the moment.. I'll reconsider in jan-apr if bb10 devices are on the market yet.. My guess is that they won't be ready then.. and WP 8 might be worth a try.
    07-04-12 01:16 PM
    no one on earth actually knows. So just sit tight like the rest of us and wait some more...
    app_Developer and hoovermac like this.
    07-04-12 02:52 PM
    Knowing RIM, they probably will say the phone will ship to carriers starting mid to late April and then you will be able to buy one mid May.

I base this purely on the maximum amount of delay people would accept without ripping RIM a new one. If Q1 means end of March, then what's a few more weeks! And btw, they didn't promise you could buy a phone in Q1, only that the phone will be ready Q1.
    07-04-12 03:59 PM
    I hate to get all fatherly on you but* it will be ready when it's ready. That's when

* I know, this is actually a contradiction of my adage that "everything before the word *but* is a lie"
    07-04-12 04:15 PM
    There comes a point in which one has to say "it's good enough". I am worried that RIM's current quest to hit a consistently moving target (due to technological advances) could result in BB10 being delayed again. Just venting I guess.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-04-12 05:22 PM
    You're not alone in that concern by a long shot. We all just have to wait and see.
    07-04-12 05:28 PM
    My son spoke with a sales rep from rim back in April/may 11 just after the playbook was launched and the rim rep told him that if a playbook were next to an ipad on display a customer would automatically reach for the ipad first and not the playbook. He continued to say that rim had done consumer tests in regards to this.

You could argue all day up and down about this but my point being that if rim knows they are going to compete with apple and get beat (not because of quality or performance but because of perception) then wait till the smoke clears and launch.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    07-04-12 05:45 PM
    Will be ready when it's ready?

BB10 4Ever!!
    07-04-12 06:21 PM
    Will be ready when it's ready?

BB10 4Ever!!
    Doesn't something have to actually exist before one can declare it "4Ever"
    DJM626 likes this.
    07-04-12 06:40 PM
    My son spoke with a sales rep from rim back in April/may 11 just after the playbook was launched and the rim rep told him that if a playbook were next to an ipad on display a customer would automatically reach for the ipad first and not the playbook. He continued to say that rim had done consumer tests in regards to this.

You could argue all day up and down about this but my point being that if rim knows they are going to compete with apple and get beat (not because of quality or performance but because of perception) then wait till the smoke clears and launch.
    That's because the iPad is White. There are a lot of studies showning that white stands out better than black.
    07-04-12 08:17 PM
    ... you will be able to buy one mid May. I base this purely on the maximum amount of delay people would accept without ripping RIM a new one...
    Are you kidding? RIM already has had a new one ripped. By the middle of next year RIM will be a much smaller company than it is today and it becomes MUCH harder to come back from that. Look at Nokia. End of story...

In any case, If that happens and we're all still waiting for a new piece of RIM hardware AND a new OS in mid-2013, they are done. There will be fery few apps even written for the platform at that point.

It's a death spiral people. Might as well migrate to Android and get used to it already. I give up...
    Last edited by bjm007; 07-04-12 at 08:52 PM.
    07-04-12 08:48 PM
    I like your logic. However, already two delays of BBOS 10 means RIM is further down the rabbit hole, and everyone seems scared as to what RIM's financial health will be on the other end. I suspect Q1 2013 release will be a very aggressive goal due to level of complexity in RIM's new platform.

07-04-12 09:02 PM
    Are you kidding? RIM already has had a new one ripped. By the middle of next year RIM will be a much smaller company than it is today and it becomes MUCH harder to come back from that. Look at Nokia. End of story...

In any case, If that happens and we're all still waiting for a new piece of RIM hardware AND a new OS in mid-2013, they are done. There will be fery few apps even written for the platform at that point.

It's a death spiral people. Might as well migrate to Android and get used to it already. I give up...
    A smaller company isn't necessarily a bad thing. From what I gathered the BBOS platform was a tedious time consuming platform( more devs required per task). QNX allows for quicker development. RIM can't keep java, BBOS employees around if they have no purpose for them. RIM is also going to manufacture a slimmer selection of smartphones, requiring less manufacturing employees. It's very unfortunate that people will lose employment, however many roles won't be needed. This is just my two cents.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 07-04-12 at 09:37 PM.
    07-04-12 09:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD