How long is a smartphone typically announced before it's available to consumers? Because I think it is usually a few months before, so realistically we could be seeing what the first official BB10 device looks like within a couple months, if they end up getting released on the speculated time (october). Possibly by July or August. So don't lose hope, just wait until the announcement is made so you can get excited again, for real this time!
    05-06-12 04:01 PM
    personally I would like them to really nail the release of BB10...Take a book from Apple's book and dont announce it 4 months in advance! the problem that they MUST avoid with the release is that they can not allow a large time-frame to fall between the announcement and the launch because of potential companies copying or taking ideas from the new BB10 OS...they need to announce the OS with a phone first, then max release should be no longer than 1 month...2 weeks would be the greatest time

Apple does this well...they announced the iPad and it was the Friday of that week it was released to stores...BB needs this to happen to keep the features under control!
    JoyfulHeart35 and Snap51 like this.
    05-06-12 04:23 PM
    Apple does this well...they announced the iPad and it was the Friday of that week it was released to stores...BB needs this to happen to keep the features under control!
    Really good point. I guess it also comes down to the employees at RIM who have access to products before they are released keeping it a secret. Remember some apple employee left an iPhone 4S at a bar before it was released? That type of thing can cause damage so I hope Blackberry releases their phone pretty quick so there's no chance of that happening.
    05-06-12 04:36 PM
    I'm hoping soon because although I love my 9700 I want a new Blackberry. Love the 9900 but am fighting not to get it because the date of me getting one and release of bb10 is too close to my wallet.
    mithrazor likes this.
    05-06-12 04:59 PM
    How long is a smartphone typically announced before it's available to consumers? Because I think it is usually a few months before, so realistically we could be seeing what the first official BB10 device looks like within a couple months, if they end up getting released on the speculated time (october). Possibly by July or August. So don't lose hope, just wait until the announcement is made so you can get excited again, for real this time!
    I'm hoping RIM gives 2 weeks max notice, 1 would be better.

The reason being that people will initially be very interested and I think a short time frame will cause the excitement to escalate.

Too long a time frame and excitement will wane until there's almost none left.

Just my armchair marketers opinion.

Yoox_II, howarmat, Snap51 and 2 others like this.
    05-06-12 05:26 PM
    2-3 weeks notice tops.

1 week is too short for BB. Apple can do this because they already have a large fan base that will buy into anything without doing their homework. BB's fanbase isn't that big to do so.
    05-06-12 05:30 PM
    2-3 weeks notice tops.

1 week is too short for BB. Apple can do this because they already have a large fan base that will buy into anything without doing their homework. BB's fanbase isn't that big to do so.
    Good point, I just worry about excitement fatigue. There's only a short window to nail the emotional high point before people lose steam and it drops off.
    05-06-12 05:35 PM
    BB only has excitement fatigue with us diehard CrackBerry types.

For RIM, they need just enough time to let the masses know and deliver it soon thereafter.

This means they'll need buy-in from carriers, just like how the Nokia Lumia 900 got SO much advertisement from AT&T (even calling into AT&T customer service line had Lumia 900 ads playing non stop). And thus it became the #1 selling smart phone on Amazon. In fact, the Black version took #1, and the Cyan colored version took #2.

I've never seen a phone do that before.
    Last edited by jranciano; 05-06-12 at 06:07 PM.
    05-06-12 05:52 PM
    I'd love to see RIM call a press presentation and announce the new device and begin offering pre-orders the very next day. Anytime a press presentation is called, it's usually all over the news. Allow 1-2 weeks for pre-orders (the same day across all carriers they plan on giving the device to) and begin selling the phone (again, one release day for every carrier).
    Stewartj1 and shemaree09 like this.
    05-06-12 07:19 PM
    2-3 weeks notice tops.

1 week is too short for BB. Apple can do this because they already have a large fan base that will buy into anything without doing their homework.
    Good point. This explains why Apple TV is such a hit. Oh, wait.
    05-06-12 09:38 PM
    I hope we hear rumblings, I want an official announcement and then give a few weeks before release. It'd be great for a huge media blow out in the weeks after the announcement.

Before that, I'm fine with hearing rumors and speculation, but I would really like to see that carriers talk up BB10, because it'd show that they are impressed and it'd start the positive buzz.
    05-06-12 09:46 PM
    Good point. This explains why Apple TV is such a hit. Oh, wait.
    I was getting at their phones.
    05-07-12 01:03 PM
    October is iPhone time. iPhone might shadow the power of BB10.
    05-07-12 01:05 PM
    If they announce they really need to step up marketing!

Without proper marketing, a release date means nothing. Only diehard BB fans will be excited and buy. Everyone else will move on to other platforms (if they haven't already).

There are still people who dont even know OS 7 phones or the Playbook even exists.
    05-07-12 01:46 PM
    October is iPhone time. iPhone might shadow the power of BB10.

Yeah, Apple will just create a gimmicky apps, call it futuristic...and Boom! People start camping out in front of Apple Store

RIM should release their BB10 before new iPhone, before people spend their saving...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    05-07-12 01:47 PM

RIM should release their BB10 before new iPhone, before people spend their saving...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    No, it is better for RIM to wait until BB10 is ready and polished. Releasing it if it is not "fully baked" would be a disastrous move.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-07-12 01:52 PM
    If the success of the device depends on a time when people don't want an iPhone, just pack it in right now. It's already game over. iPhones are going to be extremely popular for a long time. There is no release window when you can hide from the competition.

Speaking of competition, WP will have a major upgrade, as well as Android. It is not about the iPhone unless you really think RIM is competing in the same arena as Apple. It's about everyone else. RIM has to have a product that can stand up to whatever is out there, otherwise, why bother?
    05-07-12 02:06 PM
    Good point, I just worry about excitement fatigue. There's only a short window to nail the emotional high point before people lose steam and it drops off.
    I hear you. The downside is overestimating demand (PB anyone?) and being stuck with excess inventory when launching a new device.
    Two weeks is more or less thereabouts. Ideally the channels should open up for preorders immideately after announcements to gauge how far to speed up production.
    I'd hate to see RIm write down inventory again, I'd rather demand outstrips supply in the first month.
    05-07-12 02:10 PM
    RIM needs to pull the Apple trick...about a month prior to BB10 phone release they need to have a "tipsy" RIM engineer forget his "locked" phone at a bar... wait for all the buzz... get your phone back and everyone will know the release is imminent and wait for the build up... q month later release would work nicely.....
    05-07-12 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD