Rumours and rumours these days about future of Blackberry 10 OS.

Remember Symbian 80, webOS, Maemo, Meego, Mer? Forgotten OSes that were incredible but no more supported.

Now in the 0% user Base we have : Sailfish, Tizen, Firefox OS and BB10.

The difference is that BB10 is the only one installed in several devices and the one to consider as a polished OS.

In the pc world you can use several OS in one system, Linux, Windows, Macos (hackintosh) and so on.

OK, drivers and drivers are the main problem.

If I want to use Windows I have to pay a license.
    If I want to have a Priv with BB10 I will pay a license for it because I want BB10.

I don't want millions of apps, I want a good OS.

Do you think this could be feasible for the conservative mentality in BlackBerry HQ?

Regards
    11-19-15 02:13 PM
    I think paying a license to have BB10 isn't going to cover the development costs.

But I read another proposal to have BB10 as an open source OS.. and well, if it goes open source the development will be faster and the OS will be further polished and might get knew desired by the general masses.

I know it might defeat the purpose of having a secure OS but hey, it could be done in a way that BlackBerry has the final word on each code put in the OS

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 02:19 PM
    If Windows only sold a few millions licenses per year how much would it cost to the end user? If it only sold in that volume how long would that option exist? Windows would only exist as long as businesses need it and would be willing to pay business prices which is where BB10 is now. Would users be willing to pay $100 for BB to support development on Priv or Nexus devices for example, don't think many would, CB is not the outside world.
    11-19-15 02:22 PM
    BlackBerry could also propose an all touch with the processor of the Passport at a no development costs.

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    11-19-15 05:06 PM
    I think paying a license to have BB10 isn't going to cover the development costs.

But I read another proposal to have BB10 as an open source OS.. and well, if it goes open source the development will be faster and the OS will be further polished and might get knew desired by the general masses.

I know it might defeat the purpose of having a secure OS but hey, it could be done in a way that BlackBerry has the final word on each code put in the OS

Posted via CB10
    I don't believe that BBRY will ever open BB10. There's far too much security IP that could be stolen.
    11-19-15 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry could also propose an all touch with the processor of the Passport at a no development costs.

___BlackBerry 10 makes me stay___
    All touch Passport no dev cost. LOL!
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    11-19-15 06:10 PM
    Unless it uses the same square 1440x1440 resolution screen, there would have to be additional driver development for the graphics at least, plus updates to the BB10 APIs (unless you stick with 1280x720, which is low-res by modern standards). It may sound simple, but it really isn't. Small changes make things complicated (and expensive) very quickly.
    11-19-15 06:42 PM
    Wit what BB charges for their devices, trust me, u pay a license to use it lol

In all seriousness though, do u not consider other OS's such as IOS, Android or Windows Phone "good". All these OS's basically do the same thing, just in different ways

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 06:50 PM

In all seriousness though, do u not consider other OS's such as IOS, Android or Windows Phone "good". All these OS's basically do the same thing, just in different ways

Posted via CB10
    Do not confuse this issue with logic.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and Rello like this.
    11-19-15 07:05 PM
    All touch Passport no dev cost. LOL!
    I wrote an "All touch" and not "All touch Passport". On the other hand I was referring to BB10 processor's drivers, since they're already there for the Passport.

Anyway Troy Tiscareno could be right about the graphic drivers, even if sooner or later that could be done..
    11-20-15 08:30 AM
    I wrote an "All touch" and not "All touch Passport". On the other hand I was referring to BB10 processor's drivers, since they're already there for the Passport.

Anyway Troy Tiscareno could be right about the graphic drivers, even if sooner or later that could be done..
    That would be even more money. LOL
    11-20-15 09:49 AM
    Glad you mentioned this. I would pay some amount, maybe up to $50, to get a BB10 option. I do wonder what the break even price would be. I have to warn you, talking positively about BB10 tends to rile people up here lately.
    11-20-15 10:02 AM
    Glad you mentioned this. I would pay some amount, maybe up to $50, to get a BB10 option. I do wonder what the break even price would be. I have to warn you, talking positively about BB10 tends to rile people up here lately.
    No one has a problem with people talking positively about BB10 - they have a problem with pie-in-the-sky fantasies that have no financial basis in reality. Most people simply don't understand the costs involved in producing a smartphone, especially if you have to develop and maintain the OS as well. This leads them to make statements that are out of touch with the real world.
    11-20-15 05:18 PM
    A lot of things are out of touch with the real world. Windows phone for one and the massive money reportedly Windows pours into it.

 Passport SE 
    11-20-15 11:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem. They might do similar things but it's the way they do them. I will never go iPhone simple because of iTunes. I hate android because it's a convoluted mess. I can't speak to Windows but I don't like the tiles soo. My preference is bb10. I am going to grab a z30 of eBay. Maybe grab a pp se. And I will use them till the wheels fall off.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 11:11 AM
    That's the problem. They might do similar things but it's the way they do them. I will never go iPhone simple because of iTunes. I hate android because it's a convoluted mess. I can't speak to Windows but I don't like the tiles soo. My preference is bb10. I am going to grab a z30 of eBay. Maybe grab a pp se. And I will use them till the wheels fall off.

Posted via CB10
    It'll actually be funny to come back in 5 or 6 years and see who's still stubbornly using a phone from 2013.

If I still have my Classic it's because of company policy and/or lack of any other cameraless phones. It sure won't be because of BB10.

It would be big lulz to see no more BlackBerry World, the browser so out of date that even google.com won't render, and still stuck on a Jelly Bean runtime while Android is on version 11. But hey- BB10 for life!!

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless (for now)
    11-21-15 01:26 PM
    It was Symbian S60 to correct your OP

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-21-15 01:33 PM