Over at iMore there is an article on new iOS 6 and the OS' evolution over the years. Towards the end of the blog, there is a comparison of existing OSes:

How iOS 6's flagship features compare to past versions, and to Android 4.1, BlackBerry 10, and Windows Phone 8 | iMore.com

I thought putting BBOS 10 in the comparison mix as unfair as the OS is not out yet. Also RIM has not released a full update of features and no release date. Both WP8 and Android 4.1 features have been known for weeks now.

What do you think?
    07-15-12 10:12 AM
    i think its too early to compare them when only 1 is on the market officially
    07-15-12 10:16 AM
    BlackBerry 10 also features:

NFC
    DLNA
    Social networking integration (This has ALWAYS been a part of BlackBerry since BlackBerry OS 5.0)

and more
    07-15-12 10:17 AM
    I would like BBOS 11 on there as well, since it would test as well as BBOS 10. How can you compare things that are not available yet?

shaleem and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-15-12 10:22 AM
    They generate more page hits by including BlackBerry, and the less info about BlackBerry 10 they include the better, it helps draw BlackBerry users to the site who wouldn't have gone if no mention of BlackBerry, it draws in BlackBerry haters who want to come and call BB10 vaporware,

think if they didn't include BB10 there would have been no cross link to this part of Mobile nations
    07-15-12 10:27 AM
    BlackBerry 10 also features:

NFC
    DLNA
    Social networking integration (This has ALWAYS been a part of BlackBerry since BlackBerry OS 5.0)

and more
    The image is only showing new features of the OS AFAIK, which is why for example, social networking would not appear in the chart (because it's not new to BB10).
    07-15-12 10:31 AM
    DING DING......

X 500 !
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 10:41 AM
    I would like BBOS 11 on there as well, since it would test as well as BBOS 10. How can you compare things that are not available yet?

I don't have a problem with comparing a product that was publicly announced 9 months ago. It puts things in perspective - what are BlackBerry users waiting for, what are they hyped for? Why should anyone care at all about BlackBerry 10?

According to that chart, it appears that a neat camera and new UI and keyboard (for touch screen users only) is the reason for some enthusiasts to get excited for the new BlackBerry OS.
    07-15-12 10:53 AM
    WP8 still has features that are not announced yet. What we know about BB10 now is probably just the tip of the iceberg. iOS 6 has been announced, but is not out yet. Jelly Bean is the only one that is out there already (barely).

It's also highly speculative as to what individual platform will offer.

Comparison based on speculation?
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 10:55 AM
    I don't have a problem with comparing a product that was publicly announced 9 months ago. It puts things in perspective - what are BlackBerry users waiting for, what are they hyped for? Why should anyone care at all about BlackBerry 10?

According to that chart, it appears that a neat camera and new UI and keyboard (for touch screen users only) is the reason for some enthusiasts to get excited for the new BlackBerry OS.

exactly according to the chart we must all be fools

yet the FLOW UI is a feature as much as it is a UI that gets users like myself and a BBM group I am involved in very excited, but it doesn't fit into a chart.

We're also excited about Video Chat capabilities with BB10, though I don't plan to use them. I like that they'll be available to those who will use it.

BBM's move to being more of a platform than just a simple chat app is something to be excited about, BUT would only be something for current BlackBerry users, and developers for BlackBerry to have any excitement about onlookers wouldn't understand in the slightest.

BlackBerry fans also get to be excited about leaving the JVM world which promises a faster more fluid experience with better developer support and ease of getting into that community, it is far more than just a few check boxes on a chart,

but the chart is a perfect way to generate page hits and get cross linking.
    07-15-12 11:03 AM
    everything iOS6 is enhancing is already out in other devices, namely Blackberries and once BB10 is released we know it will have facetime over BBM and when BB10 is a success Skype will eventually write an app for it .

iOS6 is just an update to a half assed OS that should have been released to compete with Blackberry from the beginning, its just a shame RIM lost out to a half assed dumbie proof OS whose key feature was a front facing camera and a huge app store, then when the Iphone4S was preleased that stupid oohhh and ahh feature Siri like come on what kind of garbage is that

if RIM was to die and i was forced to buy another device i would be guessing an android for one google is a canadian company and second it is a more versitile OS and more customizable for each individule user unlike iOS and apples stupid "its what i give you" mentality
    bigbmc26 and Bilaal like this.
    07-15-12 01:02 PM
    if RIM was to die and i was forced to buy another device i would be guessing an android for one google is a canadian company ...
    Really? When did Google establish their global headquarters in Canada?
    07-15-12 01:08 PM
    When we invade the US on our moose throwing Maple syrup bombs and winning over the hearts and minds of the public with poutine and politeness
    07-15-12 01:12 PM
    oops i just looked it up i was always under the impression it was founded by two canadians
    07-15-12 01:36 PM
    Everything is Canadian!!!!

EH???

We secretly rule the world.

MUHAHAHAHAHHA!

(please disregard the above message, it is in no way authorized, or an offical positon of the world governing canadian board of directors)

bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 02:02 PM
    I like how major features like the keyboard and flow UI are compared against a whole bunch of "enhancements".
    07-15-12 02:45 PM
    its sucks that that chart doesnt show much but a lot the added features on the other OS already exist on BBOS. plus we dont even know what other enhancements are going to be added
    07-15-12 03:23 PM
    stop the canada vs usa crap now otherwise you can all take a week to ponder it alone.
    shaleem and brucep1 like this.
    07-15-12 04:10 PM
    There is no way to compare the operating systems of different platforms if they aren't released yet. What happening is the other platforms are starting to downplay a great platform that rim will release and they are starting to worry.
    07-15-12 04:22 PM
    This is a pretty useless comparison since all the features for WP8 and BB10 have yet to be announced.
    07-15-12 04:44 PM
    Over at iMore there is an article on new iOS 6 and the OS' evolution over the years. Towards the end of the blog, there is a comparison of existing OSes:

Click to view quoted image

How iOS 6's flagship features compare to past versions, and to Android 4.1, BlackBerry 10, and Windows Phone 8 | iMore.com

I thought putting BBOS 10 in the comparison mix as unfair as the OS is not out yet. Also RIM has not released a full update of features and no release date. Both WP8 and Android 4.1 features have been known for weeks now.

What do you think?
    All the features of WP8 are, in fact, not known.
    07-15-12 04:46 PM
    All the features of WP8 are, in fact, not known.
    true story lets hope microsoft doesn't make the same mistakes they did with their other mobile OSs. Microsoft has the assets power to be good but do they have what it takes.
    07-15-12 04:50 PM
    There is no way to compare the operating systems of different platforms if they aren't released yet. What happening is the other platforms are starting to downplay a great platform that rim will release and they are starting to worry.
    i think i agree, RIM had what it takes to let QNX loose where harmon international mainly used them for building BMWs onboard computer system and audio. QNX is mind blowing and in the day they were supposed to be competeing with microsoft for top OS before they took a different route
    07-15-12 04:53 PM

iOS6 is just an update to a half assed OS that should have been released to compete with Blackberry from the beginning, its just a shame RIM lost out to a half assed dumbie proof OS whose key feature was a front facing camera and a huge app store, then when the Iphone4S was preleased that stupid oohhh and ahh feature Siri like come on what kind of garbage is that

Complain how dumb ios is but look at the numbers. You can say how horrible it is until your blue in the face but for something so dumb to you, it breaks sales numbers and projections every release. Call them sheep or dumb for buying it (which makes you sound uneducated) but they are not hurting for cash and people love them. That's not bad for a company in a recession.

I'm a hard core blackberry user but I'm not blind. They spent 3 years developing ios before it was launched and they made it proof. That's what the general public wants. Geeks will always want something they can change and alter so the either jailbreak an ios device or go to android. There are a lot more general public people than geeks.

Either way it sells and apple is doing quite well.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-15-12 05:02 PM
    Complain how dumb ios is but look at the numbers. You can say how horrible it is until your blue in the face but for something so dumb to you, it breaks sales numbers and projections every release. Call them sheep or dumb for buying it (which makes you sound uneducated) but they are not hurting for cash and people love them. That's not bad for a company in a recession.

I'm a hard core blackberry user but I'm not blind. They spent 3 years developing ios before it was launched and they made it proof. That's what the general public wants. Geeks will always want something they can change and alter so the either jailbreak an ios device or go to android. There are a lot more general public people than geeks.

Either way it sells and apple is doing quite well.
    The high sales numbers are mostly due to name recognition of Apple and the simple OS. Neither of those have anything to do with the OS being dumb. The truth is the truth. I couldn't care less how much money Apple has, I have my own money. When the iphone was launched in '07, I worked at AT&T as a device tester and the fact is, it was underpowered and garbage then, people still overpaid for it because it was from Apple. That still holds true today.

Apple has built a brand, not necessarily a steller product. I've used it and that's my opinion. And before you start with the "sales say otherwise" crap, the toyota corolla sales well, does that make it steller? The general public will buy whatever the TV tells them to. The dumbed down, high marked up, iphone is perfect for the simple minded, easily lead, masses. That's where the sheep comments come from. There's nothing uneducated about that at all, it's how many see apple users they interact with daily. I know I do. So, as many have said, sales don't equal the best, it just equals that, sales...

Cheers!
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-16-12 07:24 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD