It's funny to see how much hate he gets in this forum now. It hasn't been too long since he was considered a savior. I guess that's out the window since the "salvation" of BlackBerry is coming at such a high cost.
    Yes, it's odd.

He was brought in to shift focus away from devices, as they had already determined that BB10 was not going to fly. His job was to ramp up software. That's exactly what's happening and suddenly everyone is surprised.

The Priv is just Louks' baby. He convinced Chen it would be worth another final shot at it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-05-16 06:06 PM
    It's funny to see how much hate he gets in this forum now. It hasn't been too long since he was considered a savior. I guess that's out the window since the "salvation" of BlackBerry is coming at such a high cost.
    Or rather, the salvation probably won't involve phones which is the only thing anyone here cares about (rightly so since it is a phone forum).

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-05-16 06:16 PM
    Forget BB10 ... what about the PRIV ? Will BackBerry keep up the BB skin and will Marshmallow come ? Will there be more Android devices ? Will BlackBerry keep on making phones? The PRIV could be the orphan of all orphans. The problem with BlackBerry is that they are constantly changing their strategy.

BlackBerry should give us a two or three year road map. They should go all in on Android and stick with that plan rather than just "testing the waters".

I really do not think that Chen knows much about the phone side of the business - just the mergers ,acquisitions and cost cutting side of business.
    02-05-16 07:31 PM
    Or rather, the salvation probably won't involve phones which is the only thing anyone here cares about (rightly so since it is a phone forum).
    I continue to like Chen.

He's playing the very bad hand that he was dealt with great skill, and some panache IMO.

Chen has rarely (maybe never IIRC?) mentioned BB10 phones as being part of his planned direction for BlackBerry. He has stated, loudly and often, that BB's future is in Enterprise software and services. He's also stated several times that he won't remain in hardware unless its profitable (which he says it isn't), and that he'll decide on the fate of hardware this year. I reckon Chen deserves credit for being (sometimes painfully) clear as to where he's taking BlackBerry. It's a future that does not include BB10 phones, and may not include any phones at all unless the Priv is truly selling like hot-cakes.

The problem is that many here on CB want him to be saying that he'll save BB10 and so they interpret every statement he makes in that way... even when that interpretation often involves breaking the meaning of English words beyond sense! They want it to be true, so no bending or interpretation of Chen's words sufficient to support their belief that BB10 and hardware will continue at BB's core is too much.

And when reality (Chen's continuing actions) undermines their faith that BB10 will continue, Chen is accused of betrayal!

I almost feel sorry for the guy. He says what he's going to do, does it... and then gets abuse because he's done what he said he would. Poor Chen LOL

I reckon there's a whole study area on "the boundaries of faith" just waiting for an aspiring student to earn a PhD off the back of these CB posts.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-06-16 at 04:48 AM.
    02-06-16 04:37 AM
    It is not what Chen says, it is what he fails to disclose.

Posted via CB10
    wilber1 likes this.
    02-06-16 08:00 AM
    Even then, I'd fault the listener (who inserts what they want to hear) more than Chen. Not disclosing all the cards in your hand is surely a sound strategy for all businessmen in a competitive industry. And not just businessmen - does anyone disclose everything they know? - I've never met anyone who does that.

Chen has had ample opportunity to (bluntly) "lie" about being all-in with BB10 phones and hardware generally - it's certainly what the BB10 fans want to hear. Yet every time he has been questioned he has consistently avoided giving that easy, supportive answer... leaving the conclusion that should be drawn obvious. And yet, many CB people choose not draw that obvious conclusion... why is that?

I regularly read on these forums that Chen is a liar; and I don't see that at all. Chen is the plainest-speaking CEO that BB have ever had who, while holding some cards close to his chest (who doesn't!), generally speaks openly and honestly.
    02-06-16 09:02 AM
    The Priv IS a full touch device, for crying out loud :P You don't have to use the little slider keyboard. It is optional. OR better yet, you can use it as a mouse for browsing, editing docs, etc. But otherwise it is a 5.4 inch full HD touchscreen. What would BB be gaining by releasing the same device minus the (again - OPTIONAL) slide out keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    Uh.... really?

More robust (less moving parts)
    Longer life
    Better battery
    No clicky creakiness
    Thinner
    Lighter
    Headphone jack on top where it ought'a be
    Less expensive

Kinda why that's what more than 99.97% of the market demand.

And if you've got the best ever VKB on the market... WHY not?
    02-06-16 09:14 AM
    Its not my intent to insult anyone(this post only), but you just illustrated Jeep's point.
    02-06-16 09:24 AM
    No offence taken. I have no illusions and do not feel that Chen is lying. The one area where I think that Chen has strayed some what deals with the supposed need by government and enterprise for the BB10 end to end solution. When the dust settles, I think we will find that this market was never as much as he implies.

Perhaps you are right... Chen says too much and the fans dissect every word .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-06-16 at 10:48 AM.
    JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-06-16 09:48 AM
    Double post.
    02-06-16 09:54 AM
    I find it even harder to believe that, without a physical keyboard or the "hardware root of trust"/kernel enhancements, BlackBerry would be able to sell any all-touch devices at all for $100-200 more than the price of a Nexus 6P - as the only remaining differentiating features are vkb and launcher (although great).

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I just don't see it working.

A good test for this would be to offer the suite for all at $100-200. How many takers would there be?

If they have an opportunity to deeply establish a brand in the Android space, that might change - but that's looking way ahead.
    I don't really care about extra fancy expensive cameras, fingerprint scanners or any of that . I want great communications, the Blackberry hub, SD card, USB OtG, and I'm happy. All touch or PKB are both great in their own way.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 02-06-16 at 12:21 PM.
    02-06-16 12:08 PM
    I don't really care about extra fancy expensive cameras, fingerprint scanners or any of that . I want great communications, the Blackberry hub, SD card, USB OtG, and I'm happy. All touch or PKB are both great in their own way.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry could you be a little more specific on the great communications aspect. What would be looking for that is not incorporated in the PRIV OS ? Thanks

Edit: I was wondering if great communications was in how the tool belt integrates with the OS. Perhaps the Vienna might work the same way as a Passport. My only PKB experience is with a 9900. Perhaps great communications means to handle email accounts in a certain manner.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-06-16 at 03:31 PM.
    02-06-16 01:44 PM
    Problem is that what he is doing by going Android isn't going to save BlackBerry.
    02-06-16 02:26 PM
    Problem is that what he is doing by going Android isn't going to save BlackBerry.
    The plan is that software will save the company. Going android is subordinate to that plan.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 02:30 PM
    Sorry could you be a little more specific on the great communications aspect. What would be looking for that is not incorporated in the PRIV OS ? Thanks

Edit: I was wondering if great communications was in how the tool belt integrates with the OS. Perhaps the Vienna might work the same way as a Passport. My only PKB experience is with a 9900. Perhaps great communications means to handle email accounts in a certain manner.
    Fair question. Here's what it means to me:

1. Quality radios
    2. High quality sound for phone calls
    3. Hub-style integration of all written communication in a single place, including all common email platforms, LinkedIn, Twitter, BBM, WhatsApp, etc. No need to open individual apps in order to read and respond.
    4. Ability to sync tasks, notes, calendars, and contacts with Exchange/Outlook and Evernote as appropriate.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 04:13 PM
    Chen's shown himself to be somewhat more than evasive, he's actually lied. For example when he was asked if he had plans for any more lay-offs last year during an interview, he said no. (Unless of course, these plans really weren't put in place until right before the people got laid off - unlikely.)

He's also shown himself to be aloof and dismissive of his company's own products, not even knowing anything about the phones lol.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-06-16 04:25 PM
    Chen's shown himself to be somewhat more than evasive, he's actually lied. For example when he was asked if he had plans for any more lay-offs last year during an interview, he said no. (Unless of course, these plans really weren't put in place until right before the people got laid off - unlikely.)

He's also shown himself to be aloof and dismissive of his company's own products, not even knowing anything about the phones lol.
    I doubt he had plans for more layoffs last year. I also doubt that you can prove he did. That was then and this is now.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-06-16 04:33 PM
    I doubt he had plans for more layoffs last year

I'm pretty sure he did. He's an inscrutable little guy, very sly.
    02-06-16 04:46 PM
    Fair question. Here's what it means to me:

1. Quality radios
    2. High quality sound for phone calls
    3. Hub-style integration of all written communication in a single place, including all common email platforms, LinkedIn, Twitter, BBM, WhatsApp, etc. No need to open individual apps in order to read and respond.
    4. Ability to sync tasks, notes, calendars, and contacts with Exchange/Outlook and Evernote as appropriate.

Posted via CB10
    This list is why I think we need an all touch BlackBerry Android. BlackBerry could differentiate their devices others than by having a PKB. It would require marketing though.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 05:09 PM
    BB10 will be as much supported as Symbian was promised to be supported until 2016. BB10 is right now in the digital graveyard.
    02-06-16 05:34 PM
    An all-touch BlackBerry Android ... why don't you just call that what it really is, i.e. another all-touch Android? Because the only thing 'BlackBerry' about such a phone would be the logo on the front casing.
    02-06-16 05:37 PM
    An all-touch BlackBerry Android ... why don't you just call that what it really is, i.e. another all-touch Android? Because the only thing 'BlackBerry' about such a phone would be the logo on the front casing.
    Currently, no other Android has the Blackberry Hub, which is at the center of the unique BlackBerry workflow. So, until the Blackberry Productivity Suite comes to Android, it's still differentiated.

I used a Priv for several hours, without the PKB, and the experience for multiple email accounts and messaging was not at all the same as with stock Android.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 05:51 PM
    Currently, no other Android has the Blackberry Hub, which is at the center of the unique BlackBerry workflow. So, until the Blackberry Productivity Suite comes to Android, it's still differentiated.

I used a Priv for several hours, without the PKB, and the experience for multiple email accounts and messaging was not at all the same as with stock Android.

Posted via CB10
    That is a piece of software which can easily be developed and sold separately via Google Play to users of other Android devices.
    02-06-16 05:54 PM
    A device with a pricetag less than $700US for starters. Given that the keyboard was the main reason (as reported by most media outlets) for the hefty price.
    Do most customers (USA?) buy phones outright? Maybe someone could educate me on this...I typically go with a contract or the pay-per-month model. Priv pricing is right in line with other top spec devices.

My other comment is, I think BlackBerry would like to own the niche for keyboard users who would like a normal, modern cell (for today's standard with apps). A full touch slab does not differentiate themselves. Can their full touch Android really out hustle SamSung? Whereas, an Android with a PKB is incredibly unique, if only a small percentage (I estimate less than 5%) would consider it.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 12:51 AM
    That is exactly it. That in a nutshell is why BB would like to own the keyboard niche, whatever it might be in Android. Imagine if they somehow pull it off - THEN they might have a tiny amount of breathing room for a more conventional device.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 12:53 AM
158 ... 4567