What you can make out of it: we have a bunch of unsold passport and leap inventory that we would like to unload without discounting it. Sorry to say it.
    Then the marketing manager who ordered to make them in a such large number, MUST be fired.

Then it's better to give them away well discounted than keep them in the inventory, at least users can start to buy apps, bbm stickers or other BlackBerry services instead of buying Samsungs and Android apps.

jm2c

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 06:23 AM
    Then the marketing manager who ordered to make them in a such large number, MUST be fired.

Then it's better to give them away well discounted than keep them in the inventory, at least users can start to buy apps, bbm stickers or other BlackBerry services instead of buying Samsungs and Android apps.

jm2c

Posted via CB10
    Theres not many people left to fire.
    02-04-16 06:51 AM
    The poor Marketing group. Sure are a popular whipping boy.

I do think they haven't done a stellar job by any means but blaming them solely or even as a major contributor is missing the forest for the trees.
    02-04-16 07:05 AM
    They have this....its called the BlackBerry Experience Suite. This will be a package of software that no doubt, will receive ongoing development and will probably answer your prayers. We'll have to wait and see...

Z10/Q10, 10.3.2.556, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    I've been asking BlackBerry, directly, about BlackBerry Experience Suite for months now with absolutely no reply. March 1st 2015 was the last BlackBerry has said a peep about it. I'm sure it's deader than a doorknob at this point, but no one has performed a eulogy because it wasn't ever a real product.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-16 08:38 AM
    I just bought two new Q10 devices, spare batteries, and bundles! I'm stocking up for the eventual apocalypse! Hahah

Posted via CB10
    BeautyEh likes this.
    02-04-16 09:17 AM
    I've been asking BlackBerry, directly, about BlackBerry Experience Suite for months now with absolutely no reply. March 1st 2015 was the last BlackBerry has said a peep about it. I'm sure it's deader than a doorknob at this point, but no one has performed a eulogy because it wasn't ever a real product.
    I remember getting a survey about BLEND a long time ago, and one of the questions was would you pay for it.

And BBM Meetings was kinda a test run....
    02-04-16 09:38 AM
    "Reasonable prices" means that LG/HTC/Sony etc etc might disappear from the market, because their handset business was never profitable.
    BlackBerry's Android strategy is far more consistent to me, no distraction and security holes by crapware, regular updates and very nice hardware at sustainable prices.

If the Priv sells well, they should consider a full touch Android, because that's what the market wants and what could really increase brand awareness.

However,small steps, let your competitors burn their money and don't try to copy a failed business model... everything imho.

Posted via CB10
    The Priv IS a full touch device, for crying out loud :P You don't have to use the little slider keyboard. It is optional. OR better yet, you can use it as a mouse for browsing, editing docs, etc. But otherwise it is a 5.4 inch full HD touchscreen. What would BB be gaining by releasing the same device minus the (again - OPTIONAL) slide out keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 11:51 AM
    The Priv IS a full touch device, for crying out loud :P You don't have to use the little slider keyboard. It is optional. OR better yet, you can use it as a mouse for browsing, editing docs, etc. But otherwise it is a 5.4 inch full HD touchscreen. What would BB be gaining by releasing the same device minus the (again - OPTIONAL) slide out keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    The only advantage would be to save the cost of the keyboard and sliding mechanism, and being able to fit a better front facing camera.

I'm not convinced it would be worth it though.
    02-04-16 11:59 AM
    A device with a pricetag less than $700US for starters. Given that the keyboard was the main reason (as reported by most media outlets) for the hefty price.
    02-04-16 12:15 PM
    It's more than the savings. Most people just want a phone with no moving parts . A conventional phone. For the most part these potential customers have never used a pkb . Some would think of the PRIV as equivalent to a bike with training wheels. The market for an all touch will always be much larger than the market for a slider. They badly need the all touch, slider and the Vienna. All on Android. I would like them to make a BB10 version of one of these devices . They need to put all of their BB10 resources into just one device. To my thinking that would be the Vienna.

My hope is for four new devices with one being a BB10 version. BB10 might yet be profitable if they just made one device of that type.
    TgeekB and mavsguy842 like this.
    02-04-16 12:24 PM
    You know, that's interesting because the Suite isn't even mentioned on the BlackBerry website. At least, I couldn't find it. Anyway, I wonder if maybe they suspended that idea so they could offer those features exclusively on their Android hand sets? This along with their security features certainly creates a niche in the Android market. That said, if BlackBerry leaves the hardware business and becomes a software company, watch those productivity apps list for sale in the Google Play Store.

Z10/Q10, 10.3.2.556, MPJ 5000 mAh extended battery.
    02-04-16 01:09 PM
    The market for an all touch will always be much larger than the market for a slider.
    The differentiators for an all touch BlackBerry would be...

1. The brand (-)
    2. The hub (+) maybe
    3. Secure boot loader (+)
    4. Dtek (+)

Did I miss any?
    BlackBerry is going to have to charge a premium price for an all-touch phone with just those differentiators.
    Looks risky to me.
    02-04-16 01:12 PM
    The differentiators for an all touch BlackBerry would be...

1. The brand (-)
    2. The hub (+) maybe
    3. Secure boot loader (+)
    4. Dtek (+)

Did I miss any?
    BlackBerry is going to have to charge a premium price for an all-touch phone with just those differentiators.
    Looks risky to me.
    Chen has the sales results for the LEAP.... I think he knows without the keyboard he just doesn't have anything to offset the higher hardware cost that BlackBerry is forced to pass on to users.
    02-04-16 01:28 PM
    The Leap is old news. An expensive slider... that is risky. A BlackBerry version of a Nexus 5x clone..not that risky. All they need to is say to Foxconn is that they need an all touch in three months.
    02-04-16 02:43 PM
    The Leap is old news. An expensive slider... that is risky. A BlackBerry version of a Nexus 5x clone..not that risky. All they need to is say to Foxconn is that they need an all touch in three months.

Yes but they would have to charge more money.
    That is risky, no?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-04-16 02:51 PM
    All they need to is say to Foxconn is that they need an all touch in three months.
    The only issue is economies of scale / buying power.

The delta in the manufacturing cost for BlackBerry would probably exceed the profit margin of the major competitors.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-04-16 02:51 PM
    Without an all touch, I think that 5 million devices per year is but a dream. Maybe BlackBerry just might provide their keyboard and Android skin to a manufacturer for a royalty. The goal here seems to be to stem the losses.
    02-04-16 02:59 PM
    Without an all touch, I think that 5 million devices per year is but a dream. Maybe BlackBerry just might provide their keyboard and Android skin to a manufacturer for a royalty. The goal here seems to be to stem the losses.
    I find it even harder to believe that, without a physical keyboard or the "hardware root of trust"/kernel enhancements, BlackBerry would be able to sell any all-touch devices at all for $100-200 more than the price of a Nexus 6P - as the only remaining differentiating features are vkb and launcher (although great).

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I just don't see it working.

A good test for this would be to offer the suite for all at $100-200. How many takers would there be?

If they have an opportunity to deeply establish a brand in the Android space, that might change - but that's looking way ahead.
    Last edited by conite; 02-04-16 at 03:18 PM.
    DrBoomBotz and TgeekB like this.
    02-04-16 03:07 PM
    Do we have to get consensus on the definition of thriving?
    02-04-16 03:26 PM
    It's more than the savings. Most people just want a phone with no moving parts . A conventional phone. For the most part these potential customers have never used a pkb . Some would think of the PRIV as equivalent to a bike with training wheels. The market for an all touch will always be much larger than the market for a slider. They badly need the all touch, slider and the Vienna. All on Android. I would like them to make a BB10 version of one of these devices . They need to put all of their BB10 resources into just one device. To my thinking that would be the Vienna.

My hope is for four new devices with one being a BB10 version. BB10 might yet be profitable if they just made one device of that type.
    I think you are mostly spot on with this. I not convinced about anything BB10 though. As John Mitchell used to say when selling bonds, "if you're going to eat $&@# there's no sense nibbling on it". They need to get those certificates for Android and move on with a clear path.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-04-16 03:40 PM
    Do we have to get consensus on the definition of thriving?
    Lol. It's the opposite of "dead".
    02-04-16 04:32 PM
    Lol. It's the opposite of "dead".
    Which is the opposite of thriving. Got it.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    02-04-16 04:47 PM
    In light of the news of the latest layoffs, this statement of "BB 10 being an ongoing commitment" seems like absolute bull. #FireJohnChen

Posted via CB10
    Couver81 likes this.
    02-05-16 04:18 PM
    In light of the news of the latest layoffs, this statement of "BB 10 being an ongoing commitment" seems like absolute bull. #FireJohnChen

Posted via CB10
    Why anyone believes anything Chen says is beyond me?
    Bbnivende and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    02-05-16 04:29 PM
    Why anyone believes anything Chen says is beyond me?
    It's funny to see how much hate he gets in this forum now. It hasn't been too long since he was considered a savior. I guess that's out the window since the "salvation" of BlackBerry is coming at such a high cost.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-05-16 05:36 PM
158 ... 34567