Regarding BlackBerry, does the right hand know what the left hand is doing? Or, is this deliberate mis-direction by them?
    02-02-16 06:43 PM
    I'm sticking with BB10 for the long run. Yes there are probably apps that I might want,but none that I really need from android. I am so used to using work arounds and using the browser to go to websites that I am happy. I may be in the minority. I am fine with that.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 07:17 PM
    If I put this statement through the Chen filter I understand that you will buy a non BlackBerry android phone sometime in 2017.
    You have a VERY POOR understanding of what I said, just read the last part again " I will never buy a Android phone with a Blackberry label on it." no matter what type of filter you use.
    02-02-16 09:25 PM
    You have a VERY POOR understanding of what I said, just read the last part again " I will never buy a Android phone with a Blackberry label on it." no matter what type of filter you use.
    02-02-16 09:30 PM
    02-02-16 09:52 PM
    Once they kill it, it's dead. Billion dollar investment. And major loss of face towards enterprise and government customers who bought in.

Much better for them to bear the minimum cost of just letting it simmer on low flame... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    I think that's the right move. They will be supporting it for a while, but their app development for anything but core security and functionality will halt

Blackberry Z10 was the beginning. The Z30 is my upgrade
    02-02-16 09:56 PM
    Ah don't be like that.
    02-02-16 10:23 PM
    Ah don't be like that.
    But it's my nature.
    02-02-16 10:29 PM
    BlackBerry keeps repeating a definition of the words "support" and "commitment" that normal humans don't agree with.

Marriage:
    "I am committed to this marriage but I will never visit your family, I will not share my assets with you, and the only kind of support I will give you is that if you are actually extremely ill, I will pat your forehead with a damp cloth and possibly drive you to the hospital."

Parenting.
    "I support you if you can earn your own living but if you disappoint me in any way I will give up on you and cut you off faster than a frat boy in an 80's teen comedy... but I won't murder you, because what would the neighbours think."
    02-02-16 11:32 PM
    I read these forums on a daily basis, and have for years. ...
    I also would not be surprised if we see a BB10 Classic 2 with Passport specs in 2017 running v10.3.5.
    I agree with most of what you said, until the final sentence. There's no clear evidence the Passport or Classic have been profitable. It defies logic BlackBerry would produce predecessors, but then...

What about BlackBerry doesn't defy logic?
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 02-02-16 at 11:36 PM. Reason: shrunk long quote
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-02-16 11:34 PM
    Once they kill it, it's dead. Billion dollar investment. And major loss of face towards enterprise and government customers who bought in.

Much better for them to bear the minimum cost of just letting it simmer on low flame... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Agree with you . They will run it on maintenance mode through 2016 and wait for next strategy in 2017 .
    02-03-16 01:25 AM
    I think that most people here are happy with their choice of the BlackBerry phones that are still for sale. They are getting value for their purchase. They are no more or less useful then they were last year at this time. They should last fairly well for another two years and for many even longer. I am typing this on my Z10.

My problem with BlackBerry's strategy is that they have not invested enough in Android. They should have launched an all touch PRIV in November and the Vienna next month.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 01:41 AM
    I think that most people here are happy with their choice of the BlackBerry phones that are still for sale. They are getting value for their purchase. They are no more or less useful then they were last year at this time. They should last fairly well for another two years and for many even longer. I am typing this on my Z10.

My problem with BlackBerry's strategy is that they have not invested enough in Android. They should have launched an all touch PRIV in November and the Vienna next month.

Posted via CB10
    The Vienna phone does seem...odd to come right on the heels of the Priv, which already offers a PKB. But cest la vie. It looks interesting...if only it had the traditional toolbelt/trackpad which could double as an Android "Home" button.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 02:38 AM
    By not telling everyone today that BB10 will be EOL'd in 2017, even though they're clearly planning to do so, they can't be accused of lying. They've said they'll continue to support BB10 in 2016, and that's true - 2 security/maintenance updates is technically "support."

But this very specific timeline and vaguely defined "support" is calculated to make holdouts or casual BB fans feel better about BB in 2016 - and hopefully buy one of the remaining BB10 devices - while making it clear to anyone who is actually paying attention that 2017 will be the official end of life. Of course, BB10 devices will still turn on, make calls, and get texts even after EOL, but other apps and services, even the web browser, may stop working correctly, or at all. We've seen that happen with WebOS and with the Playbook, as good recent examples.

So, yes, nothing here is really "news."
    I doubt it will be as soon as 2017.
    They've committed to supporting various enterprises, governments included.
    Having only just fully rolled out BB10 there's no way the Department i work for in the UK will be able to put a replacement for BB10 in by 2017.
    And my department is one of the ones that are ahead in technology when compared to others.
    Of course that might not be the same story for the consumer
    02-03-16 02:47 AM
    If people want to see how BB retires an OS; they should look at how BB shelved BBOS. Blackberry is saying the same things and going through the same motions as they did when they were transitioning from BBOS to BB10
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    02-03-16 05:40 AM
    The Vienna phone does seem...odd to come right on the heels of the Priv, which already offers a PKB. But cest la vie. It looks interesting...if only it had the traditional toolbelt/trackpad which could double as an Android "Home" button.

Posted via CB10
    The problem right now in the Android market is that everyone builds a standard full touch device. And you already have established players for quality smartphones (Samsung/LG/HTC/etc) each with their own pros/cons. In the last couple of years, the only way to really enter the Android market and get some attention was building flaghship phones for reasonable prices (a good example would be the one plus one) or hardware diffentiation (the priv is a good example). Right now, BB building a full touch Android device would require selling it at small prices that i am not sure BB can get profit on.
    02-03-16 06:00 AM
    Can't wait for Playbook to get BB10.
    kirson likes this.
    02-03-16 06:25 AM
    ... you already have established players for quality smartphones (Samsung/LG/HTC/etc) each with their own pros/cons. In the last couple of years, the only way to really enter the Android market and get some attention was building flaghship phones for reasonable prices [...] Right now, BB building a full touch Android device would require selling it at small prices that i am not sure BB can get profit on.
    "Reasonable prices" means that LG/HTC/Sony etc etc might disappear from the market, because their handset business was never profitable.
    BlackBerry's Android strategy is far more consistent to me, no distraction and security holes by crapware, regular updates and very nice hardware at sustainable prices.

If the Priv sells well, they should consider a full touch Android, because that's what the market wants and what could really increase brand awareness.

However,small steps, let your competitors burn their money and don't try to copy a failed business model... everything imho.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 06:52 AM
    Regarding BlackBerry, does the right hand know what the left hand is doing? Or, is this deliberate mis-direction by them?
    They have no vision or road map. They are trying everything hoping that something works. It is embarrassing to watch them flounder.
    JulesDB likes this.
    02-03-16 06:56 AM
    They could still sell a quarter million BBOS phones a quarter, if they wanted to.

The fact that they can't make selling a few million devices a year profitable is shocking. Even if they only sold 2 million BB10 devices a year, at least that's 2 million new devices and the brand stays alive.

The Priv is a joke.
    02-03-16 07:00 AM
    I'd like to see them ditch BB10, but offer a paid productivity package for Android - BB10 gestures throughout the OS, a Hub that's always open to the left of the main home screen, Blend, BlackBerry File Explorer, etc. Spare me the "you can already mimic BB10 gestures on Android" - yeah, but most people don't have the time to do that. I want a one-click purchase that does it all for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would pay up for it.
    02-03-16 07:58 AM
    Most of these scenarios assume a relatively stable transition from BB10 to Android, with BB10 being a 'dead' OS if not already then by the end 2016. What if BlackBerry's Android phone gets hacked or rooted? All the sudden the transition to a 'secured by BlackBerry' Android gets up-ended and the entire marketing strategy for Priv falls flat on its face. BlackBerry would do well to keep BB10 in its back pocket, with meaningful updates, into the foreseeable future. Not just for its customers but to protect the reputation of the company.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure and phuoc like this.
    02-03-16 08:17 AM
    BB10 is here to stay (for enterprise mostly) , no way in hell BlackBerry will be able to secure Android like BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 08:33 AM
    its simple...android for the general public, bb10 for govt and large corperations who need and want that security...i am sure the website will only show android, but behind the scenes bb10 will be pushed to govt and large firms
    02-03-16 08:54 AM
    The problem right now in the Android market is that everyone builds a standard full touch device. And you already have established players for quality smartphones (Samsung/LG/HTC/etc) each with their own pros/cons. In the last couple of years, the only way to really enter the Android market and get some attention was building flaghship phones for reasonable prices (a good example would be the one plus one) or hardware diffentiation (the priv is a good example). Right now, BB building a full touch Android device would require selling it at small prices that i am not sure BB can get profit on.
    You are giving no value to what BlackBerry says they have added to privacy or security. I also prefer the BlackBerry designs for fonts etc. All markets want an all touch. There is always room for a good phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 09:14 AM
158 12345 ...