I don't think they can end bb10. Android as much as all the android fan boys want it will NEVER Be secure like bb10. So while it might not get any new features I don't think they can shut it right down. As governments and high level security firms count on it. Maybe when the app market starts to dry up and html5 website take more group. Bb10 will come back. Maybe this time they will tell people how much better there os is

Posted via CB10
    Like Troy said, it will continue to work even if development ends. That means many years to find an alternate solution.
    02-02-16 06:59 AM
    It's over. I'm sad that I will eventually have to give back to android. I found it so creepy that Google maps always gave me the estimated time of how long it will take to get to the running trail I went on every other night.

And would alert me an hour before the time I always went...

Posted via CB10
    Some find it creepy, some useful.
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    02-02-16 07:02 AM
    Honestly I think the company would get a longer life if they stick with BB10.

As of right now, who do you think is the majority of people buying the Priv? Android and iOS converts? No, probably not. It's loyal BlackBerry fans that want to support the company/try something new.

However, there are still more loyal fans that have stayed with BB10.

So let's talk based on speculation the 2017 will be EOL for BB10. What are those loyal customers that stuck with BB10 gonna do? Are they going to go buy the Priv? Probably not, because if they did, they would have already. They are going to be reluctant to switch to Android or iOS. They will probably venture off and try something different. Why would they support the company that just abandoned their product?

While I say this, I am a bit of a hypocrite. I purchased a Priv with all intentions of sticking with it. I lasted a little more then two months. Back on BB10 now.

In the end, what I am trying to say is, they could have benefited more by supporting their product base that they have now. Would it have been enough to save them from their demise, probably not. They just would have had a few more breaths. Is going Android going to save them? I sure as hell don't think so!

Doesn't get Classier then posting from a Classic!
    I don't think most will venture off and try something different. Many buy phones via their carriers. And even if they don't, not everyone wants to tinker with another obscure OS. So that leaves iOS and Android, and there are tons of posts by former BlackBerry users that have already switched to them.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 07:16 AM
    From my perspective, until I see my employer, a bank, allow Android devices, BlackBerry will continue to support BB10. No new features, just bug fixes and security updates. Life goes on folk

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    02-02-16 07:20 AM
    From my perspective, until I see my employer, a bank, allow Android devices, BlackBerry will continue to support BB10. No new features, just bug fixes and security updates. Life goes on folk

Our company is still all BlackBerry but they have said we will get BES12 in the fall and Android /Apple are coming.

BB10 is all but dead. I am sad but I also know it never got any traction.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    02-02-16 08:53 AM
    Our company is still all BlackBerry but they have said we will get BES12 in the fall and Android /Apple are coming.

BB10 is all but dead. I am sad but I also know it never got any traction. You can't keep making handsets that no one buys.

02-02-16 08:54 AM
    Like Troy said, it will continue to work even if development ends. That means many years to find an alternate solution.
    It will work as advertised.....

Doesn't mean that new Android Apps will work, or that access to Google Play will always be there.

I think for business that just want Phone/Email devices.... they'll be fine for years. For consumers that want a phone that can do EVERYTHING that other phones can do... not so much.

The way I see it... the whole BB10 userbase is just too small for BlackBerry to care about. And I've never notice BlackBerry as being a company that was overly concerned with their past customers.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    02-02-16 08:54 AM
    By not telling everyone today that BB10 will be EOL'd in 2017, even though they're clearly planning to do so, they can't be accused of lying. They've said they'll continue to support BB10 in 2016, and that's true - 2 security/maintenance updates is technically "support."

But this very specific timeline and vaguely defined "support" is calculated to make holdouts or casual BB fans feel better about BB in 2016 - and hopefully buy one of the remaining BB10 devices - while making it clear to anyone who is actually paying attention that 2017 will be the official end of life. Of course, BB10 devices will still turn on, make calls, and get texts even after EOL, but other apps and services, even the web browser, may stop working correctly, or at all. We've seen that happen with WebOS and with the Playbook, as good recent examples.

So, yes, nothing here is really "news."
    I'm not a person that is heavily app-dependant, like most enthusiasts. I'm not trying to put people into boxes by the manner in which they use their mobile devices. However, the current solid OS experience isn't going to go away over night after waterloo turns out the lights on their BB10 development.

I'm not using the Stock browser. Yes, the stock browser will be rendered useless in the not so distant future. In fact, I bought a 3rd part browser from BBWorld and now getting a much better experience than I was from the stock browser. I like to listen to music a lot, and I'm sure the music app will support MP3 files indefinitely.

In short, the OS is superior to its competitors and is already at its maturity. We won't get any feature updates or anything for it to support new technologies. However, we have a committed group of BB10 app developers in our small but humble community, that are dedicated to supporting their apps for the BB10 platform.

BB10 has always been the work-around OS, and it always will be. It will however, get harder from here on out.

I'm not gonna bend over and take it from Google by purchasing an android device. I'm not willing to give up all my privacy for the sake of Tinder...

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    BeautyEh likes this.
    02-02-16 09:07 AM
    People are too over dramatic. I personally prefer BB10 but will buy a Priv, why? Cause at the moment it's the future of BlackBerry. My only hope is that with upgrades they make the UI more BB10'ish than it is now. IDK, that may never happen but it's my hope. As far as BB10 being terminated, nothing is ever really over my friends. BB10 is still a solid OS and it's shortcoming have more to do with lack of app developer support than anything else and it's mother OS QNX is alive and thriving. BlackBerry will probably keep BB10 around, neglect it, abandon it even, but have it in its back pocket, and when and IF the time calls for it, they just may resurrect it. I'm not going to hate on BlackBerry because they are trying to make the best business decisions they can make considering the circumstances. People just have to adapt. I'm seeing all the same arguments I saw when BlackBerry went from BlackBerry OS to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 09:10 AM
    I will continue to use a REAL Blackberry with it's Blackberry OS as long they can be purchased. I will never buy a Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    OK..................
    acovey likes this.
    02-02-16 09:43 AM
    This whole android thing was to prevent the stock price crashing from $7 - $8 average level down to $1 or below if BlackBerry straight up told the whole world that they will kill their hardware division. Nothing wrong in killing a non-profitable division really, but this would have been at the cost of having their stock value down to dimes.

Enter ron louks and the android theory. SE linux which in reality is nowhere close to BB10 level of security (proven security) & shareholders hold out the "well yeah lets give them a shot with a appy OS" card............. BOOM 2018 April "we will continue to strengthen our revenue generating divisions (software not HARDWARE) & our commitment to provide continuous security updates to existing BlackBerry Priv and Venice android devices is on track"

Im only interested to know who's going to be CeO chen, i mean then.
    02-02-16 11:03 AM

The way I see it... the whole BB10 userbase is just too small for BlackBerry to care about. And I've never notice BlackBerry as being a company that was overly concerned with their past customers.
    BES 12 is still compatible with BB7 or earlier.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 11:47 AM
    To all BB10 haters: unless Android is proven to save BlackBerry, there's no androidberry future.

You have to understand that BlackBerry10 is probably as EOL as Priv...

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 12:19 PM
    To all BB10 haters: unless Android is proven to save BlackBerry, there's no androidberry future.

You have to understand that BlackBerry10 is probably as EOL as Priv...
    I am struggling to understand here.
    Are you conflating love of Priv with hate of BB10?
    02-02-16 12:29 PM
    Celebrating PRIV in India ? and Reiterating our Commitment to the BlackBerry 10 Platform | Inside BlackBerry

But while PRIV on secured Android offers a choice in OS to new and existing customers, we want to also make very clear our ongoing commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits.*As we�ve said before, consumer and enterprise fans of our workhorse BlackBerry 10 smartphones such as Passport, Classic and others can look forward to multiple security and privacy enhancements in 2016.

What can we make out of this? Only this year? Or more?
    Dual-OS future for niche market?
    Android-only future?

Cheers... :-D

(edit: see in light of this

?The Future Is Really Android? Says BlackBerry Senior Director

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    I read these forums on a daily basis, and have for years. One thing that I can say with absolute certainty is that for the majority on here their minds on this matter have been made for some time now; nothing short of an official launch of 10.4/new BB10 handset or the official pulling of the plug on BB10 will change anyone's opinions.

For me, and I certainly do have my own opinions, is that at this point in time we can only take statements such as this at face value: meaning that in 2016 we will see two updates to BB10 and that they may be nothing more than minor improvements to security. What else may be included in those updates, if anything else, let alone what will happen to BB10 in 2017, are both wait and see affairs.

Aside from this being one helluva ruse to move remaining handsets (as some do staunchly believe) I personally forsee BB10 lasting at least through to the end of 2017. For one, some time in 2017 is when the testing period for the NIAP cert on the Priv will end--so BB10 has at least until then. From that comes the convincing to BBs clients that they *should* or *need* to start thinking about the transition to the Priv/Vienna/Priv 2/what-ever, which can take an additional 6 months to one year although this announcement most likely will come well in advance. Clue 2: when BB10 becomes officially EOL "enterprise" will be altered to it and as far as I know this has yet to happen. Once EOL has begun the transition period will be at least one year. Clue #3 Chen indicated to Bloomberg on the day of the Q3/16 earnings call that they intend to sell the Priv (the current model as we know it) through to the end of 2017. The only other Android device that we know of is the Vienna, and that is only based on one render. Despite whatever Tay may have said, the future for Android on BlackBerry is up in the air, too.

I'm going with Bla1ze on this one: at this point in time even BlackBerry does not know what their future roadmap looks like (regarding BB10 and Android). Hopefully we will get a better picture at MWC.

Between everything that has been said by BlackBerry and everything they are doing, who knows what their future holds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Priv 2 turns out to be nothing more than a rebranded Galaxy S7 Edge complete with Knox and AfW pre-installed. I also would not be surprised if we see a BB10 Classic 2 with Passport specs in 2017 running v10.3.5.
    skinnymike1 and pstrusi like this.
    02-02-16 12:52 PM
    I also would not be surprised if we see a BB10 Classic 2 with Passport specs in 2017 running v10.3.5.
    Now that, would be nice.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-02-16 01:08 PM
    I am struggling to understand here.
    Are you conflating love of Priv with hate of BB10?
    Sorry for my bad english. I personally prefer BlackBerry10 as the Android experience it's not satisfying for me. But imo the two OSs can live togheter in harmony in different devices...

Anyway I tried to explain that the five millions unit goal is far from reach and the Priv's numbers are not yet confirmed.

This leads me to believe that if it's not doing so well otherwise Chen bigmouth would already spoken...

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    02-02-16 01:36 PM
    I read these forums on a daily basis, and have for years. One thing that I can say with absolute certainty is that for the majority on here their minds on this matter have been made for some time now; nothing short of an official launch of 10.4/new BB10 handset or the official pulling of the plug on BB10 will change anyone's opinions.

For me, and I certainly do have my own opinions, is that at this point in time we can only take statements such as this at face value: meaning that in 2016 we will see two updates to BB10 and that they may be nothing more than minor improvements to security. What else may be included in those updates, if anything else, let alone what will happen to BB10 in 2017, are both wait and see affairs.

Aside from this being one helluva ruse to move remaining handsets (as some do staunchly believe) I personally forsee BB10 lasting at least through to the end of 2017. For one, some time in 2017 is when the testing period for the NIAP cert on the Priv will end--so BB10 has at least until then. From that comes the convincing to BBs clients that they *should* or *need* to start thinking about the transition to the Priv/Vienna/Priv 2/what-ever, which can take an additional 6 months to one year although this announcement most likely will come well in advance. Clue 2: when BB10 becomes officially EOL "enterprise" will be altered to it and as far as I know this has yet to happen. Once EOL has begun the transition period will be at least one year. Clue #3 Chen indicated to Bloomberg on the day of the Q3/16 earnings call that they intend to sell the Priv (the current model as we know it) through to the end of 2017. The only other Android device that we know of is the Vienna, and that is only based on one render. Despite whatever Tay may have said, the future for Android on BlackBerry is up in the air, too.

I'm going with Bla1ze on this one: at this point in time even BlackBerry does not know what their future roadmap looks like (regarding BB10 and Android). Hopefully we will get a better picture at MWC.

Between everything that has been said by BlackBerry and everything they are doing, who knows what their future holds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Priv 2 turns out to be nothing more than a rebranded Galaxy S7 Edge complete with Knox and AfW pre-installed. I also would not be surprised if we see a BB10 Classic 2 with Passport specs in 2017 running v10.3.5.
    Agreed... no one really knows what BlackBerry will do, because so much depends on how the PRIV sales turn out. These next two Earnings Reports will help us to see what options Chen has open to him.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-02-16 01:50 PM
    ...But this very specific timeline and vaguely defined "support" is calculated to make holdouts or casual BB fans feel better about BB in 2016 - and hopefully buy one of the remaining BB10 devices - while making it clear to anyone who is actually paying attention that 2017 will be the official end of life. Of course, BB10 devices will still turn on, make calls, and get texts even after EOL, but other apps and services, even the web browser, may stop working correctly, or at all. We've seen that happen with WebOS and with the Playbook, as good recent examples.

So, yes, nothing here is really "news."
    Of course; The honest way of handling such a situation, if one is going to wind down a product line, would be to resolutely rip the plaster off, and openly and constructively deal with the resulting "OW!", right away.

If one string people along, with vague assurances that the pus, that leaks through the weave, is not the wound going septic, one erode what little trust one may have left, with fooled (eventually) and observants alike.
    Trust that may at that point be much more valueable than offloading residual stock at any moral cost.

Presenting a clear road ahead, and an otherwise stable and smooth-running infrastructure, is much more important with organisations, compared to individual private customers, which is why it's so confusing to see some people, here and there, self-contradictorily defending just about anything with a blanket mention of: "corporate focus".
    Thing is, though; Any "mistreatment" of smaller customers, sends the same bad message to the larger ones, as if it had been they themselves, who were directly affected.

(EDIT: ...and if one do not really know, oneself, which path one will end up taking. That too, one should be transparent about. Any temporary loss of future clarity, here, is insignificant, next to the immediate one. EDIT2: ...and the impression it leaves.)
    Last edited by jojon2se; 02-02-16 at 03:03 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-02-16 02:46 PM
    [warn]
    Please keep politics outta here, thanks
    [/warn]

Cleanup at no cost has been made, please refrain posting again such statements.

So, religion is still open for discussion???
    02-02-16 02:53 PM
    The cynic in me can't stop from asking 2016, calendar or fiscal?
    02-02-16 03:33 PM
    The cynic in me can't stop from asking 2016, calendar or fiscal?
    Lunar.

*ME173X
    02-02-16 04:34 PM

BB10 is all but dead. I am sad but I also know it never got any traction.

We allow Apple Corp owned or BYOD. Don't see much because dept have to pay vs free BlackBerry from Telus/Rogers. Our IT folks have told us Android / Win8 is coming soon for the last three years. One day...

02-02-16 04:54 PM
    It's a smarthphone war out there and if BlackBerry gives up their best, even if not well known weapon BlackBerry OS10, they are stupid!

With the echo they are getting with the priv they also will get attention for their unknown OS, if they keep it and care for it, in a long run and being that secure and stable and having best pkb they have chances to keep share and move back in more again...

The smart thing would be to get a new OS 10 device out, mid or end 2016 or so...

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 05:35 PM
    Just look at this glorious mixed message.

BlackBerry will focus only on power users | Business Line

What happens to the BB10 platform as you move towards Android?

We are committed to both BlackBerry operating system and Android.

A few days ago we launched an update to BB10. There will be ongoing launches for BB10 versions and phones.
    One 'exec' says one thing, another says something different. lol.
    02-02-16 06:20 PM
158 1234 ...