Celebrating PRIV in India ? and Reiterating our Commitment to the BlackBerry 10 Platform | Inside BlackBerry

But while PRIV on secured Android offers a choice in OS to new and existing customers, we want to also make very clear our ongoing commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits.*As we�ve said before, consumer and enterprise fans of our workhorse BlackBerry 10 smartphones such as Passport, Classic and others can look forward to multiple security and privacy enhancements in 2016.

What can we make out of this? Only this year? Or more?
    Dual-OS future for niche market?
    Android-only future?

Cheers... :-D

(edit: see in light of this

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/01/the...nior-director/

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 02-01-16 at 06:53 PM.
    brian4591 and IndianTiwari like this.
    02-01-16 06:28 PM
    if you really believe anything measurable will come out of bb10 dev you are just plain out of touch. Android is the future for the hardware, however long the hardware sticks around.
    TgeekB, JeepBB, kbz1960 and 9 others like this.
    02-01-16 06:32 PM
    They're probably eager to sell off the remainder of their BB10 devices they have sitting around.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 06:38 PM
    Or it could just be vent for those BlackBerry 10 users not to get pissed at the company until their bank is filled.
    yuvaraki and BallRockReaper like this.
    02-01-16 06:38 PM
    Celebrating PRIV in India ? and Reiterating our Commitment to the BlackBerry 10 Platform | Inside BlackBerry

But while PRIV on secured Android offers a choice in OS to new and existing customers, we want to also make very clear our ongoing commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits.*As we�ve said before, consumer and enterprise fans of our workhorse BlackBerry 10 smartphones such as Passport, Classic and others can look forward to multiple security and privacy enhancements in 2016.

What can we make out of this? Only this year? Or more?
    Dual-OS future for niche market?
    Android-only future?

Cheers... :-D

Uncertain.
    Maybe.
    Maybe.
    Nope.
    Yup.

*ME173X
    02-01-16 06:41 PM
    The wording though, 2016 so what happen in 2017? Lol
    02-01-16 06:43 PM
    The core message has not changed. The fact that they are saying the same old thing as if it were new speaks volumes to me.
    JeepBB and Blacklatino like this.
    02-01-16 07:05 PM
    As others have said, it's pretty obvious.
    02-01-16 07:05 PM
    By not telling everyone today that BB10 will be EOL'd in 2017, even though they're clearly planning to do so, they can't be accused of lying. They've said they'll continue to support BB10 in 2016, and that's true - 2 security/maintenance updates is technically "support."

But this very specific timeline and vaguely defined "support" is calculated to make holdouts or casual BB fans feel better about BB in 2016 - and hopefully buy one of the remaining BB10 devices - while making it clear to anyone who is actually paying attention that 2017 will be the official end of life. Of course, BB10 devices will still turn on, make calls, and get texts even after EOL, but other apps and services, even the web browser, may stop working correctly, or at all. We've seen that happen with WebOS and with the Playbook, as good recent examples.

So, yes, nothing here is really "news."
    DrBoomBotz, quincyg, Uzi and 16 others like this.
    02-01-16 08:51 PM
    I don't think they can end bb10. Android as much as all the android fan boys want it will NEVER Be secure like bb10. So while it might not get any new features I don't think they can shut it right down. As governments and high level security firms count on it. Maybe when the app market starts to dry up and html5 website take more group. Bb10 will come back. Maybe this time they will tell people how much better there os is

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 10:09 PM
    All I read was "no more new bb10 devices".

Womp womp

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-01-16 10:39 PM
    Once they kill it, it's dead. Billion dollar investment. And major loss of face towards enterprise and government customers who bought in.

Much better for them to bear the minimum cost of just letting it simmer on low flame... :-)

02-01-16 10:40 PM
    Honestly I think the company would get a longer life if they stick with BB10.

As of right now, who do you think is the majority of people buying the Priv? Android and iOS converts? No, probably not. It's loyal BlackBerry fans that want to support the company/try something new.

However, there are still more loyal fans that have stayed with BB10.

So let's talk based on speculation the 2017 will be EOL for BB10. What are those loyal customers that stuck with BB10 gonna do? Are they going to go buy the Priv? Probably not, because if they did, they would have already. They are going to be reluctant to switch to Android or iOS. They will probably venture off and try something different. Why would they support the company that just abandoned their product?

While I say this, I am a bit of a hypocrite. I purchased a Priv with all intentions of sticking with it. I lasted a little more then two months. Back on BB10 now.

In the end, what I am trying to say is, they could have benefited more by supporting their product base that they have now. Would it have been enough to save them from their demise, probably not. They just would have had a few more breaths. Is going Android going to save them? I sure as hell don't think so!

Doesn't get Classier then posting from a Classic!
    02-01-16 10:48 PM
    I will continue to use a REAL Blackberry with it's Blackberry OS as long they can be purchased. I will never buy a Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    02-01-16 11:51 PM
    I will continue to use a REAL Blackberry with it's Blackberry OS as long they can be purchased. I will never buy a Android phone with a Blackberry label on it.
    If I put this statement through the Chen filter I understand that you will buy a non BlackBerry android phone sometime in 2017.
    vpblaze, FF22 and Blacklatino like this.
    02-02-16 12:08 AM
    It's over. I'm sad that I will eventually have to give back to android. I found it so creepy that Google maps always gave me the estimated time of how long it will take to get to the running trail I went on every other night.

And would alert me an hour before the time I always went...

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 12:22 AM
    As of right now, who do you think is the majority of people buying the Priv? Android and iOS converts?
    Android users that's been crying for a decent spec-ed phone with physical keyboard.

Is going Android going to save them?
    Once upon a time, my father said, the PC market was not "Intel + Microsoft Windows". Then many of them got wiped out. The ones that remained, remained because their customers are locked in, and they can charge their customers as many arms and legs as they want.

Now we have these Wintel PC OEMs cutting each other's throat in a race to the bottom while Intel and Microsoft enjoys fat profits.
    Last edited by heavybell; 02-02-16 at 02:11 AM.
    02-02-16 01:53 AM
    Honestly I think the company would get a longer life if they stick with BB10.

As of right now, who do you think is the majority of people buying the Priv? Android and iOS converts? No, probably not. It's loyal BlackBerry fans that want to support the company/try something new.

However, there are still more loyal fans that have stayed with BB10.

So let's talk based on speculation the 2017 will be EOL for BB10. What are those loyal customers that stuck with BB10 gonna do? Are they going to go buy the Priv? Probably not, because if they did, they would have already. They are going to be reluctant to switch to Android or iOS. They will probably venture off and try something different. Why would they support the company that just abandoned their product?

While I say this, I am a bit of a hypocrite. I purchased a Priv with all intentions of sticking with it. I lasted a little more then two months. Back on BB10 now.

In the end, what I am trying to say is, they could have benefited more by supporting their product base that they have now. Would it have been enough to save them from their demise, probably not. They just would have had a few more breaths. Is going Android going to save them? I sure as hell don't think so!

Doesn't get Classier then posting from a Classic!
    Perhaps the group that want a PKB and either want Android or are indifferent to it are larger than the group would continue to buy BB10 PKB devices.

All things considered I prefer an ecosystem over BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 01:55 AM
    It's over. I'm sad that I will eventually have to give back to android. I found it so creepy that Google maps always gave me the estimated time of how long it will take to get to the running trail I went on every other night.

Posted via CB10
    That is because you were using Google Now. Some people like that. Could be worse if you were having an affair.

Posted via CB10
    Lusitano17 likes this.
    02-02-16 01:57 AM
    Android users that's been crying for a decent spec-ed phone with physical keyboard.

Once upon a time, my father said, the PC market was not "Intel + Microsoft Windows". Then many of them got wiped out. The ones that remained, remained because their customers are locked in, and they can charge their customers as many arms and legs as they want.

Now we have these Wintel PC OEMs cutting each other's throat in a race to the bottom while Intel and Microsoft enjoys fat profits.
    ... and quality is in the gutter because OEMs are cutting corners. Computer fixers are missing out on a living, because it's now cheaper to:

"Throw it out, buy a new one..." :-((

Hope Chen repents if that's his evil scheme and uses Priv profits to keep BB10 supported to a certain extend...

IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-02-16 02:40 AM
    By not telling everyone today that BB10 will be EOL'd in 2017, even though they're clearly planning to do so, they can't be accused of lying. They've said they'll continue to support BB10 in 2016, and that's true - 2 security/maintenance updates is technically "support."
    (I repeat)
    BB10 is going nowhere until they reach the same security agreement level with Android. And unless there's something drastically new in Marshmallow this won't happen this calendar year if you take in consideration delays (provided they found how-to) to gain these certifications.
    I don't discuss the EOL perspective, unfortunately (IMHO) it will happen.
    But I for one won't take the risk to provide any time frame right now; this time it's not a bunch of individuals (re: the PlayBook story) it's about large companies and institutions that take such options (platform choice) for a defined period (3 years is a start). Only way to circumvent it would be to offer a trade-in incentive and I'm not sure BlackBerry is willing to support such an expense. Otherwise, it will be considered as contractual disability and would have an even higher cost, image and trust wise.
    We - individuals - can rant but at the end of the day the number of those ranting will be only a small portion of the Android adopters so there's no real business threat, the emotional aside. Not the same story with companies, at all.

TBH, I believe they don't know themselves what the EOL date will be.

FWIW (probably no more than $0.02), personal view only.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-03-16 at 02:19 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-02-16 03:01 AM
    [warn]
    Please keep politics outta here, thanks
    [/warn]

Cleanup at no cost has been made, please refrain posting again such statements.
    02-02-16 03:09 AM
    As other folks have stated, Blackberry still has to support the enterprise clients who bought into OS10 because of it's security features for a while yet. These clients are not going to run out and buy new devices and Blackberry probably has a contractual obligations to support them. The main issue for me is that now that all the tumors have started, what OS10 developers that are still left out there will bow out and there will be no app support.

Regardless of what the faithful think, you have to have apps if you expect the platform to survive. I for one really liked OS10 and was the first person in line to buy a z10 when it was launched here in the USA. But, as I have said many times before, the OS ground rules have already been set and Android and IOS are it, period. I bought a Priv and so far I have adapted quite well and I not looking back.

As a businessman, I think Blackberry made the right move by going the Android route. I am hoping with their recent additions of Good and the other security released companies, this will give them an edge in securing Android. Myself, when I look at my Priv, I still see the Blackberry logo etched into the bezel and yes the device is unique compared to what's currently out there in the marketplace and thats good enough for me.
    Last edited by bakron1; 02-02-16 at 05:16 AM.
    02-02-16 04:51 AM
    While I fully understand people's excitement about the Priv, I don't understand all this "BB10 is dead" and "You have to move on."

BBOS is really dead and still there are enterprises using it.
    David Cameron is still using one.
    BBOS is in so many ways already behind BB10, but obviously still compatible with major IT solutions. And since BB10 will be further improved (and BBOS not), I wonder how many accounts will replace BBOS with BB10 in 2016,... why shouldn't they?

My point is that when you look at BBOS, you might understand that BB10 could stay in the market for years.
    Maybe I will have to switch to Android in 2020, or maybe we will see BB11 by then... who knows.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 05:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yep. That is creepy. As much as I like Google's search engine, I too find it invasive.

Stop using Google maps. Turn location services off. Since you use the same jogging trail, you know the distance you run so you don't need the gps tracker. Just use your stop watch and music player.

And.... it ain't over till its over. Just ask GM, chrysler, triumph, ducati, harley Davidson (I like me bikes), apple, etc. All these companies ran into difficulties in the past and are doing quite well now.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    02-02-16 06:52 AM
158 123 ...