I'm considering going from my BlackBerry Passport to a non-BB Android device.
    I've always read about different vulnerabilities with Android mainly due to the lack of security updates from the OEM or carriers.

I would be afraid of having my phone hacked and data stolen.

This makes me hesitant to go with a non-BB Android device -- are my fears overblown?

I feel like there's not much choice if I'm forced to choose between DTEK or iPhone.
    02-04-17 05:48 AM
    BlackBerry and Google (pixel, nexus) are the two most reliable update providers, as far as android goes. You will be taking your chances with any other vendor. Sucks, but that's how it is. Most others simply don't care about you once you've bought the phone.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-04-17 06:10 AM
    Yes, your fears are overblown. Millions use Android & iOS devices and they're perfectly safe. Its more about the user than the OS or the updates. Give a Pixel, Nexus or any BB Android to a dumb user and he can get all his stuff out in record time. Its about your behavior so just pick up a good device that you like.

However, If it makes you feel safe then go for a Pixel, Nexus or an Android BlackBerry. They're all top notch in terms of security.

Final Tip: Read about security in Android and safe user behavior. It's much better and beneficial than worrying about the phone's security.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-04-17 06:31 AM
    Yes, your fears are overblown. Millions use Android & iOS devices and they're perfectly safe. Its more about the user than the OS or the updates. Give a Pixel, Nexus or any BB Android to a dumb user and he can get all his stuff out in record time. Its about your behavior so just pick up a good device that you like.

However, If it makes you feel safe then go for a Pixel, Nexus or an Android BlackBerry. They're all top notch in terms of security.

Final Tip: Read about security in Android and safe user behavior. It's much better and beneficial than worrying about the phone's security.
    I'm generally pretty cautious about apps downloaded or websites visited so I don't think I would fall into the 'uninformed user' category. But my fears are for things that I can't easily control (ie. people sending malicious code through MMS) and stealing phone or login information.
    02-04-17 08:26 AM
    I'm generally pretty cautious about apps downloaded or websites visited so I don't think I would fall into the 'uninformed user' category. But my fears are for things that I can't easily control (ie. people sending malicious code through MMS) and stealing phone or login information.
    Then you're good to go with Android. Don't open texts or e-mails from unknown sources, that's given. Search for tips on how to create a strong password, that will solve the login information. Set up a lock code and if your phone is stolen, immediately erase everything through android device manager. Also, Lock the important apps that contain your sensitive information (Ex. Gallery, E-mail & Banking Apps). Lock your SD and SIM cards too. Lock everything xD.

Only download Apps from Google Playstore and even when you're there, avoid new & relatively unknown apps, stick to the celebrities. Spend your money on a brand that fires security updates monthly, like Google or BlackBerry. If you like your privacy then go for BlackBerry so you can manage permissions through the DTEK app.

In the end, read, read and read about security. The more you read, the more you're informed, which will make you a hard target for anyone who is out to steal your info.
    Mecca EL and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-04-17 10:23 AM
    Then you're good to go with Android. Don't open texts or e-mails from unknown sources, that's given. Search for tips on how to create a strong password, that will solve the login information. Set up a lock code and if your phone is stolen, immediately erase everything through android device manager. Also, Lock the important apps that contain your sensitive information (Ex. Gallery, E-mail & Banking Apps). Lock your SD and SIM cards too. Lock everything xD.

Only download Apps from Google Playstore and even when you're there, avoid new & relatively unknown apps, stick to the celebrities. Spend your money on a brand that fires security updates monthly, like Google or BlackBerry. If you like your privacy then go for BlackBerry so you can manage permissions through the DTEK app.

In the end, read, read and read about security. The more you read, the more you're informed, which will make you a hard target for anyone who is out to steal your info.
    On top of this excellent post, figure out an ad blocking solution (so you don't get Forbes'd) and add as many additional login factors as you can to the services you use (one time passwords, for example).
    Last edited by thurask; 02-04-17 at 02:44 PM.
    Mecca EL and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-04-17 10:32 AM
    Then you're good to go with Android. Don't open texts or e-mails from unknown sources, that's given.
    Actually one of the issues with Stagefright (which is what I assume OP is referring to) was you didn't have to open the message to activate the exploit, simply receiving it was enough.

Typical Android text messaging apps automatically retrieve incoming MMS messages. This means you could be compromised just by someone sending you a message over the telephone network.
    Android’s Stagefright Exploit: What You Need to Know and How to Protect Yourself

That being said, I don't think there were any reported cases of the vulnerability actually being used so buying from an OEM with a good update track record could be all you need.
    02-04-17 02:34 PM
    We had a VERY interesting discussion in the 9900 Resurgence thread recently with an IT engineer.

It might not always be "hacking" we have to worry about.

Basically, to sum up any free apps or something we have to worry about but also the amount of data mining is pretty astronomical and what exactly they do with all the information is still not fully known. But interesting nonetheless.

http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FAFL3#.WJY-zzBSLmI.mailto

BB10 to non-BB Android -- Unfounded Fears?-img_1486241936.729485.jpgBB10 to non-BB Android -- Unfounded Fears?-img_1486241950.709466.jpgBB10 to non-BB Android -- Unfounded Fears?-img_1486241964.559548.jpg
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 02-04-17 at 03:19 PM.
    02-04-17 03:00 PM
    You will be fine going the Android route, I have preached the same thing over and over for years. Good passwords, stay off of the web sites your not familiar with.

Anytime your on the grid you are vulnerable. As others have recommended, I would go with a Blackberry DTEK series, Google Nexus or Pixel all of which have regular security updates.

When it comes to email, I NEVER open any attachments from people I don't know and in the majority of the cases, if they are not on my client or personal contact list, I delete the email.

The bottom line is to have good common sense when it comes to your device and internet security, it goes a long way.
    Last edited by bakron1; 02-04-17 at 04:12 PM.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-04-17 03:30 PM
    Actually one of the issues with Stagefright (which is what I assume OP is referring to) was you didn't have to open the message to activate the exploit, simply receiving it was enough.

Android’s Stagefright Exploit: What You Need to Know and How to Protect Yourself

That being said, I don't think there were any reported cases of the vulnerability actually being used so buying from an OEM with a good update track record could be all you need.
    In that case, then I guess Google or DTEKs would be the best choice.

I created this thread because I was considering the LG G5 because it's available right now for a pretty good price. The problem I guess would be the security updates. I had an LG G2 for a couple years before coming over to BlackBerry and I think it only ever received 1 update during that time and I'm not even sure if it was for a security issue.
    02-04-17 03:59 PM

I heard about Stagefright, but I think its something out of the user control and in the hands of the phone manufacturers with their updates because its an exploit in Android. Only solution is patching it up with updates. That's why I talked about what he should do, and what he can do is buy into a brand with rapid response in security updates.

Good Luck keeping up with each and every vulnerability and trying to work around it:

BB10 to non-BB Android -- Unfounded Fears?-20170106android.png
    Last edited by Sairos; 02-04-17 at 11:40 PM.
    Invictus0 likes this.
    02-04-17 11:29 PM
    In that case, then I guess Google or DTEKs would be the best choice.

I created this thread because I was considering the LG G5 because it's available right now for a pretty good price. The problem I guess would be the security updates. I had an LG G2 for a couple years before coming over to BlackBerry and I think it only ever received 1 update during that time and I'm not even sure if it was for a security issue.
    These are the best choices if you are security-orientated. The LG G5 is only available for that price because it didn't sell. LG's V20 is holding its price very well. If you want an undervalued gem go for the HTC 10.

One might say you're paying extra for the updates and security but not really, Pixel and DTEK60 have the same prices in comparison to other top phones in the market. When you look at it actually, you're getting bad value from the other phones because you're missing out on security updates.
    02-04-17 11:38 PM
    I've been using Android for 5 years and have never been hacked.

I don't plan on going BlackBerry Android because I don't feel it gives me anything a Google device doesn't.

One other thing to think about, BlackBerry is still rocking Marshmallow (Android 6.1.1) anyone with a Pixel or Nexus (6p/5x) can have Nougat (7.1.1) . BlackBerry pushes the same security updates Google does, and nothing more.
    02-05-17 12:21 AM
    I have a G4 on Marshmallow with Jan 2017 security patch, and will likely get Nougat soon (though that's probably as far as it will go). LG is definitely doing better in supporting its phones - at least the flagship models. Having said that, the G4 has been great, but I wouldn't get the G5. There have been issues with the battery and the "friends" modules being reliable. The V20, however, is probably the best phone currently on the market - it's amazing.
    02-05-17 12:44 AM
    I've been using Android for 5 years and have never been hacked.

I don't plan on going BlackBerry Android because I don't feel it gives me anything a Google device doesn't.

One other thing to think about, BlackBerry is still rocking Marshmallow (Android 6.1.1) anyone with a Pixel or Nexus (6p/5x) can have Nougat (7.1.1) . BlackBerry pushes the same security updates Google does, and nothing more.
    I don't think you can always know whether you've been hacked or not.

Google offers OS updates, that's a big advantage of course. BlackBerry lacks on that front, all the big companies are like that though, its the biggest problem with Android and the sole advantage for having an iPhone in my opinion.

I think they're equal in the security updates but I fancy BlackBerry more, security is their job, they don't do anything else nowadays. If you want the latest and greatest in Android then of course Google for the OS updates.
    02-05-17 12:45 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170106android.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	416995
    The problem with charts like these is that ancient ICS phones (and even Gingerbread phones), as well as Chinese-market phones with no Google services or malware protection, still "count" as Android, even though no one in the US or Europe is likely running one. If you limited "Android" to phones 3 years old and newer, that were sold in the US and Europe, those numbers would drop a whole lot.

It's another example of the chart being true, but not the truth.
    matthewkuhl and Bbnivende like this.
    02-05-17 12:49 AM
    The problem with charts like these is that ancient ICS phones (and even Gingerbread phones), as well as Chinese-market phones with no Google services or malware protection, still "count" as Android, even though no one in the US or Europe is likely running one. If you limited "Android" to phones 3 years old and newer, that were sold in the US and Europe, those numbers would drop a whole lot.

It's another example of the chart being true, but not the truth.
    We would've to ask statista about that. Lots of vulnerabilities that surfaced are on new devices. Top new devices from respectable companies. If we remove all the factors you mentioned, I think Android still gets to be numero uno. It will always be like that too because everyone gets to do his own thing with it. It's the biggest pro and con in the same time.

The fact that they list android as the whole pizza, not in its slices makes your statement interesting, so yes true but not the truth, lots of factors involved.
    yyz321 likes this.
    02-05-17 12:59 AM
    We would've to ask statista about that. Lots of vulnerabilities that surfaced are on new devices.
    Not really. Sure, there are a few, and yes, they're the few that get a lot of press, but numerically, very few actually affect newer OS versions.

But you're right in that, because Android allows every company to "do its own thing", it will always be more vulnerable in the aggregate compared to a monolithic OS like iOS. As you say, its biggest advantage is also its biggest disadvantage - but it also demonstrates that if you buy well-supported devices, you have very little to be concerned about. If you buy entry-level "sell and forget" devices, well, that's a whole other thing.
    02-05-17 01:15 AM
    Not really. Sure, there are a few, and yes, they're the few that get a lot of press, but numerically, very few actually affect newer OS versions.

But you're right in that, because Android allows every company to "do its own thing", it will always be more vulnerable in the aggregate compared to a monolithic OS like iOS. As you say, its biggest advantage is also its biggest disadvantage - but it also demonstrates that if you buy well-supported devices, you have very little to be concerned about. If you buy entry-level "sell and forget" devices, well, that's a whole other thing.
    A more in-depth chart with each OS version would shed more light on the matter. I too find it unfair to list "Android" as whole without fragmenting it.

Yes of course, if you buy the good stuff you've nothing to worry about. I inserted the stat to show that, not to show android as insecure. Just that you can't keep up with the vulnerabilities out there but you should buy into a brand that can.
    02-05-17 01:26 AM
    Just saw this, but you won't like it.....

And yes it's security related

"President Trump should use an iPhone - here's why (AAPL)"
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FEeDE
    02-05-17 02:00 AM
    Just saw this, but you won't like it.....

And yes it's security related

"President Trump should use an iPhone - here's why (AAPL)"
    President Trump should use an iPhone - here's why (AAPL)
    "It is not a debate among security professionals; Apple's mobile operating system, iOS, is much more secure than Android. Since Apple controls what software runs on iOS, there is generally much less malicious code that is able to infiltrate the device."

The writings of a drunken child. Honestly, does this seem to be a guy who knows anything about security. Look at the language he uses. Hey! My car toy is much better than yours!

"But an iPhone wouldn't mean Trump would be unhackable. It's still conceivable that a foreign state could use a "cyberweapon" that takes advantage of undiscovered flaws in Apple's code. This kind of cyberweapon, the first of its kind to be seen targeting iOS, was discovered last year

But Apple fixed those bugs as soon as it learned about them. Not only do similar bugs exist for Trump's Android, but there's no way to fix them, ever, because the Galaxy S3 is no longer receiving updates.."

Hahah, I can't believe it, this is the funniest article I've read in a while. The guy is hilarious, it keeps getting better. I thought it was BGR but oh god its Business Insider xD.
    02-05-17 02:59 AM

But Apple fixed those bugs as soon as it learned about them. Not only do similar bugs exist for Trump's Android, but there's no way to fix them, ever, because the Galaxy S3 is no longer receiving updates.."

Hahah, I can't believe it, this is the funniest article I've read in a while. The guy is hilarious, it keeps getting better. I thought it was BGR but oh god its Business Insider xD.
    So an old S3 is just as secure as an updated iphone?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    02-05-17 03:18 AM
    So an old S3 is just as secure as an updated iphone?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    If the goons worked on it then yes, if they didn't then no. My opinion of course, I'm no sec expert. But Obama had an S4 or something like that. I would bet my kidney that Obama's phone is the most secure phone in the world. Now, the kidney is in perfect condition, used like new. So it would score a lot of money so that's how much I'm sure of it xD.

I'm laughing at the article. How did they let this guy write for them.
    02-05-17 03:22 AM
    BlackBerry and Google (pixel, nexus) are the two most reliable update providers, as far as android goes. You will be taking your chances with any other vendor. Sucks, but that's how it is. Most others simply don't care about you once you've bought the phone.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    The update issue is definitely a huge problem for android. Nexus phones get updated, as do the BB android devices (at least for now), but everything else...

When I read all the complaints about BB10.3.3 I think "what other phone have I owned still gets updated 4 years later?" My Nexus did, and the iPhone did for awhile, and that's it.

IMO as others have said, go with the device with the best update track record.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 07:18 AM
    I'm thinking the biggest concern in migrating to a new platform (BlackBerry or Non BlackBerry) is the Profit Strategy of the new platform. That in my view, denotes the main security issue.
    Whether the phone is hacked or the new platform requires you to volunteer your data (you believe to be non-relative) to use their service, the outcome is; someone other than you, has your data.
    So the question is: Which platform allows you to give specific permissions to the level of access an app or service can have to your information.

A BlackBerry Fan
    Last edited by KNEBB; 02-05-17 at 07:46 AM.
    02-05-17 07:32 AM
30 12