It's pretty much a hybrid of 2 operating systems, or at least it is moving in that direction quite quickly. I predict it will be renamed by the end of this year under John Chen with a greater focus on Android compatibility.

If you could name the os what would you call it? I think it needs a name less generic than the name of the company and a number. Something that sounds futuristic yet friendly. Google has done a good job with Android and it's os names. Maybe name it after the moon. Lunar 1.0

The line of phones also needs Re branding as well, a letter and a number is great for a car I guess, but not a phone if you want people to remember the name and identify with it, but that's another thread.

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 10:29 AM
    BB10 Flopped, there is no getting around that FACT!

There is no doubt that some type of rebranding and a relaunch is going to be necessary to get sales moving in a positive direction. Maybe they leave the BB10 name alone and just start a new marketing campaign around it.... and maybe Ford will bring back the Pinto.
    01-02-14 10:36 AM
    I think rebuilding the brand is better than rebranding.
    Just my personal opinion

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 10:37 AM
    I think rebuilding the brand is better than rebranding.
    Just my personal opinion

Posted via CB10
    That would take much longer and BlackBerry doesn't have the time

Sent from my Z30
    lnichols likes this.
    01-02-14 10:38 AM
    Anything seen in outter space could be a nice name for an OS.
    -Solar
    -Comet
    -Galaxy
    -Cosmos
    -Supernova
    -Star

Even planets such as Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury could make nice OS names.

As for devices, a letter (Z) followed by a number (10) isn't anu less original than the two ruling smartphone brands.

Formula for Apple phones:
    iPhone + ( S(x) )
    OR
    iPhone (x + 1) | (S x 0) with x being the last number
    Example:
    iPhone 5 --> S x 5 = 5S: iPhone 5S
    iPhone (5+1) | (S x 0): iPhone 6
    Repeat.

Formula for Samsung phones:
    Samsung Galaxy S(x + 1)
    OR
    Samsung Galaxy Note (x + 1) with x being the last number
    Example:
    Samsung Galaxy S(3 + 1) = Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy Note (2 + 1) = Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

It'll take a while to understand but these two brands aren't any more original at naming than BlackBerry is right now.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    extisis and SifiGamer like this.
    01-02-14 10:47 AM
    Anything seen in outter space could be a nice name for an OS.
    -Solar
    -Comet
    -Galaxy
    -Cosmos
    -Supernova
    -Star

Even planets such as Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury could make nice OS names.

As for devices, a letter (Z) followed by a number (10) isn't anu less original than the two ruling smartphone brands.

Formula for Apple phones:
    iPhone + ( S(x) )
    OR
    iPhone (x + 1) | (S x 0) with x being the last number
    Example:
    iPhone 5 --> S x 5 = 5S: iPhone 5S
    iPhone (5+1) | (S x 0): iPhone 6
    Repeat.

Formula for Samsung phones:
    Samsung Galaxy S(x + 1)
    OR
    Samsung Galaxy Note (x + 1) with x being the last number
    Example:
    Samsung Galaxy S(3 + 1) = Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy Note (2 + 1) = Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

It'll take a while to understand but these two brands aren't any more original at naming than BlackBerry is right now.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    You're right, they aren't original, but their brands are not tarnished either. BlackBerry was an iconic brand name, now it is a damaged brand name that they need to move away from.

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 11:03 AM
    I'd rather go with aggressive prices than confusing once again the market!
    Just lower your price, you can't pretend to sell a Z30 at 689euro (more than 900$!!!)
    Even the smarter of them all (the Q10 ) is too expansive..
    I'd buy (and lot of people would ignore the bad trend and have a try too for) a Z30 at 400 euro top (530$).
    Marketing is still a mess...
    I am lurking on ebay but even there few opportunities around 400 euro...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 11:16 AM
    I'm not sure if re-branding would be the best idea for them. Unless they have the carrier support, it doesn't matter WHAT you call your phone or OS. I can already see people walking into a store asking about the new (insert rebranded name) and the rep responding with "oh, that's just a blackberry with a new name ... take a look at this iphone instead."

That said, if they were to continue marketing BB10 for enterprise, and then completely re-brand for the consumer market (assuming they have strong carrier support), I don't know if it would be the absolute worst idea. After all the talk of shifting focus back to the enterprise though, I don't think any of this is their concern.
    01-02-14 11:23 AM
    I don't think this is such a bad idea. Since the name/brand BlackBerry arose from the device resembling the actual fruit and since those same (QWERTY) devices still hold value in BlackBerry's core market the brand should be kept for those phones without a doubt. In otherwords, dubbing a phone a "BlackBerry" should be reserved for the flagship keyboard device (Q10), perhaps in black only, with no other name or number other than perhaps the year (i.e. the black Q10 would have been instead the "2013 BlackBerry" while the white Q10 could be called the "2013 <something else>" with perhaps slightly modified specs to slightly segment the market.)

The full touch screen phones (and tablets?), non-flagship QWERTY phones, and phones with different colors could have a different branding with potentially minor hardware/software variations betweeb them in order to further segment the market. This could simply play off of the color of the device such as a dark blue entry-level (Z10?) all touch device could be the BlueBerry, the red Q5 could be the StrawBerry the Q30 could come in SilverBerry or GoldenBerry... or these non-flagship QWERTY phones could go in a completely different naming convention from the one and only flagship "BlackBerry".
    BeautyEh and keypad like this.
    01-02-14 11:25 AM
    BB10 needs to be rebranded-bb-qnx-os.png This could be the new OS name
    01-02-14 11:35 AM
    I don't think this is such a bad idea. Since the name/brand BlackBerry arose from the device resembling the actual fruit and since those same (QWERTY) devices still hold value in BlackBerry's core market the brand should be kept for those phones without a doubt. In otherwords, dubbing a phone a "BlackBerry" should be reserved for the flagship keyboard device (Q10), perhaps in black only, with no other name or number other than perhaps the year (i.e. the black Q10 would have been instead the "2013 BlackBerry" while the white Q10 could be called the "2013 <something else>" with perhaps slightly modified specs to slightly segment the market.)

The full touch screen phones (and tablets?), non-flagship QWERTY phones, and phones with different colors could have a different branding with potentially minor hardware/software variations betweeb them in order to further segment the market. This could simply play off of the color of the device such as a dark blue entry-level (Z10?) all touch device could be the BlueBerry, the red Q5 could be the StrawBerry the Q30 could come in SilverBerry or GoldenBerry... or these non-flagship QWERTY phones could go in a completely different naming convention from the one and only flagship "BlackBerry".
    Yes!! The flagship qwerty should be called BlackBerry, and no other. No sub name, just BlackBerry.

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 11:40 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB QNX OS.PNG 
Views:	2476 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	235411 This could be the new OS name
    99% of people can't relate to that name, it's meaningless unfortunately

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 11:41 AM
    I think they should call it "toasted bagel sandwich with BlackBerry jelly" :P

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    kthhrrsn and anon2100101 like this.
    01-02-14 11:54 AM
    I think they should call it "toasted bagel sandwich with BlackBerry jam" :P

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    I'm hungry

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 11:57 AM
    It should be called "La Blackberry" LOL
    01-02-14 11:58 AM
    I think marketing is key. They simply didn't market BB10 right, the general public was not informed that it was a new OS, new features were not highlighted, etc. When people hear the name BlackBerry, they think of legacy hardware and software. They need effective marketing to fix things.
    Nonocrack likes this.
    01-02-14 12:19 PM
    If they are catering to enterprise, they can call it TNT OS (tools not toys, like they've been trying to get at for years). Then they can advertise it as "this OS blows all the competition out of the ballpark" (like actual TNT). They can incorporate the terminology into battery life as well saying "this charge cannot be defused".

I don't like the "Tools not toys" mantra, but if they actually use it in a clever way it may work.

For them, this might be dynamite.
    neoberry99 and yung berry like this.
    01-02-14 12:26 PM
    I've been saying they need to re brand for a while. The name BlackBerry is synonymous with BBOS, and BBOS is synonymous with..... well let's just say it's not viewed positively by the majority smartphone market. Anyway they need to come up with a new brand that they can lump in the car, the smartphone, and the new BES under. The diehards will know it is still BlackBerry, but the general public will just know it as that new name. As for what to name it, that is a major decision and needs to be ran through focus groups and things like that to do it right because they only have one shot at this. Personally I would come up with a name that highlights secure communications because I think that people are finally starting to realize that their communications are being looked at now and don't like it.

Posted via CB10
    yung berry likes this.
    01-02-14 12:30 PM
    99% of people can't relate to that name, it's meaningless unfortunately

Sent from my Z30
    Nothing wrong with that. QNX has good name brand for those that do know about it, and it gives them a blank slate to start the marketing on those who don't.

Posted via CB10
    keypad and Sallem like this.
    01-02-14 12:32 PM
    Would you rename your children if they earned poor grades? Get serious!
    01-02-14 12:34 PM
    Maybe your haven't heard, but people actually change their names when they have a poor record.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    01-02-14 12:36 PM
    You're right, they aren't original, but their brands are not tarnished either. BlackBerry was an iconic brand name, now it is a damaged brand name that they need to move away from.

Sent from my Z30
    BlackBerry at its peak did not have the numbers in the consumers hands as everyone likes to think. Yes they were number 1......they basically were the only one. It was a corporate phone, using data compression and security as its selling point. Carriers needed BlackBerry as they could not handle the large amounts of data. That is why BlackBerry was iconic! The game changed. Apple and Google created a consumer device that was data demanding, low in security, app dependant and the carriers built networks that could handle a lot more data. THAT Is the problem here. There is nothing wrong with the BB10 platform and the z30. Call it whatever you want. The fact remains is that BlackBerry doesn't have all the apps. Perhaps they cannot if they want to maintain security. Eg Snapchat. It was recently hacked right even after security concerns. Perhaps it IA not an app for BlackBerry World. Perhaps BB10 will only survive due to large corporations and governments that are willing to invest in BES10 and BB10 which will allow BlackBerry Balance. That is a very nice and practical solution. But BB10 as a stand alone product is great, but it's lacking apps. Plain and simple. I could guarantee that if in the future, the z30 could run both BB10 apps and all android apps flawlessly, then BlackBerry and it's name would be iconic! Most apps of anyone, virtually flawless OS, and extremely capable hardware, no malware, HDMI, DNLA, NFC, etc. The z30 is really a dream phone. They just need to crack the app problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:40 PM
    I think rebranding BB10 is a good idea. Obviously, it's not a complete solution to BlackBerry's tarnished image problems, but it's a step. I think the name "BB10" connotes, to most people, just another iteration of something they got tired of. A similar discussion took place about Windows Phone, concerning the staleness of the "Windows" image, and the confusion with Windows Mobile.

I also think it may be too late for BlackBerry to do this, but it's fun to think about anyway.

I don't think space imagery is best for the OS. Save that sort of thing for hardware. Most people don't really know what an OS is, but it should suggest something about functionality and, well, smartness. The word "android" suggests both robotics and human-likeness, making it an excellent OS concept.

I'm not coming up with anything good. Maybe some kind of brain imagery? "The new Z50, running Basal Ganglia 1.1"--nahh. No, wait, I've got it. Call the OS "Synapse"! That works. "Check out the BlackBerry Z50, running the new Synapse operating system." It'll do for BlackBerry what "Retina" did for Apple.

What did "Retina" do for Apple, by the way?
    01-02-14 12:41 PM
    We arent talking about children.

Sent from my Z30
    01-02-14 12:47 PM
    Well, why didn't they release the z10 as the BlackBerry London....
    The code name sounds better than the actual name of the device
    01-02-14 12:52 PM
175 123 ...