I'm currently an Iphone 3gs user. I jumped from feature phones to the 3gs and skipped the whole blackberry phase. I'm interested in what BB is bringing to the table with bb10 and I'm likely going to pick up a z10 or q10 when I can get my hands on both at the same time. (Since I missed the whole physical qwerty thing I want to at least see if it's something I want).

What I'm most interested in is the vision of using the smartphone as the brain and other hardware as displays or inputs. Like the motorola lapdock or the asus padfone.

I've been doing some digging and it looks like the alpha versions of bb10 included(includes) a tablet OS mode similar to the playbook, similar enough that the playbook guys could load it on there. I'm hoping that once the Z and Q are in the wild BB will get the tablet OS part fixed up, not because I care about the playbook but I see real potential in plugging the z10 or q10 into a monitor and having it switch to the playbook style tablet OS (updated of course).

The videos I've seen of the z10 being used this way are kind of silly as the fonts don't resize, the icon grid doesn't reformat, and the screen really doesn't take advantage of the larger form factor. But videos of the playbook OS2 doing this look great.

So will the z10 and q10, eventually with an OS update switch from phone (16:9 or 1:1) to tablet 16:9 like this? Will the phones contain enough of the full tablet OS to handle this... Has there been any rumors about things working this way?

All this is only the first step to whats hopefully coming next. Tablets and Lapdocks that fit smartphones. I hope both the z10 and q10 will 'fit' into whatever locking scheme BB comes up with, or is QNX so snappy that the phone could just stay in your pocket and it could use something like DLNA to take over the display? I hope the tables and labdocks if they do have to physically attach work with both phones, I'd hate to buy a q10 and be left out of this mobile computing vision.
    03-24-13 11:28 PM
    I was just about to start a similar thread and found yours!
    Just saw this article:
    Blackberry

Maybe there are much bigger reasons why BB10 was three years behind schedule?
    However, I can't believe that no BB insiders ever leak information about what's going on. Surely there's a few disgruntled people still employed there (or ones that suffered during the layoffs) that want to shoot their mouths off? We need the "Nortel Insider blog" equivalent for BB!
    03-25-13 12:23 AM
    Here is two interesting youtube clips:

A guy who got his playbook working with a motorola lapdock:

A playbook running bb10, the tablet OS mode that is available to him looks like a laggy version of BBtablet OS2.

To me it seems like all we need is an hdmi screen and usb keyboard with the right mating hardware (like the lapdock) and a way to trigger the tabletOS style interface when that docking occurs. The pieces for doing this seem to mostly be in place. I just wonder if they are going to try something even more impressive where the phones uses DLNA and bluetooth to talk to the 'lapdock' so no physical connection is required. How much onboard processing is needed by the display for DLNA? Or can you have 'dumb' DLNA devices?
    03-25-13 12:51 AM
    Blackberry does have some very big surprises in near future . But things will take time to materialize . If you want a blackberry just to try out a new upcoming ( rumored ) concept , please wait . Don't rush into buying a blackberry for something unannounced and then bash at blackberry for not keeping up their promise ( which they never made ) . I suppose you wait till June within which the Q10 would have launched and Blackberry will actually start working on their other projects .
    03-25-13 01:00 AM
    I'll probably hold off until at least may. It sounds like BB is planning on laying out the plan for some of this stuff then anyway. Lots of potential here.
    03-25-13 01:17 AM