I'm in town for the jam tomorrow and looking forward to it! I just got my confirmation email denying me a dev alpha (I still think the conference will be worth it without one so I'm not worried.)

It does raise a question though as how exactly do you qualify for a dev alpha... i have 3 apps published for BlackBerry (2 for phones 1 for tablet) they are nothing amazing but better then alot of the crap out there... To anyone else attending Vancouver that will receive one how exactly did you qualify?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-27-12 01:28 PM
    Nobody's exactly sure what the selection process is. I know people who have received a dev alpha and have never developed a Blackberry application.
    08-27-12 01:31 PM
    Oh? Thats really strange then. I guess i will have to go to San Jose and hope they give them out there... unless someone leaves there's laying around in Vancouver

08-27-12 01:36 PM
    Ya, my friend and I both got denied a dev alpha. What I think is that RIM's running out of dev alpha's and are likely only giving a very small number away in the recent BB10 Jams. They'll probably be giving out Alpha B's at BB Jam Americas. Too bad I won't be able to go to that.
    08-27-12 01:55 PM
    Haha no offense but it makes me feel better to know it wasn't just me!
    I guess it would make sense for there to be less given out at this "newly added" stops for the tour they probably had them rationed for the original amount of stops...

I mentioned it in another thread but any Game Dev's in town really need to checkout a Downtown bar & Restaurant called EXP... www.expbar.ca

08-27-12 02:10 PM
    Go to the Jam and demand it from one of the RIM folk. Use a little muscle if necessary and remind them you actually have made apps and are a real developer not a cashier from the dollar store pretending to know a lot about cell phones.
    08-27-12 02:19 PM
    I plan on asking when i register... but not too hopeful

08-27-12 02:51 PM
    I've got a Bb10 device available to me, but we got it quite a while ago from one of those developer relations reps (forget what they call themselves). I think the others are probably correct in assuming that they've cut down on the amount of devices they're giving out. They dumped a pile of them at first, and every Tom and Sally got one. Many of those "developers" will probably never use it as a dev platform and have tossed it in a drawer once they realized that it's not a fully functional consumer product.
    08-27-12 02:59 PM
    I agree with the theory that they may be running low of Dev Alphas.
    I know at one of the first BB10 Jams a guy went with his 9 or 10 year old kid, & they gave his kid a phone too, even though the father was the Dev & had just brought his son along for the trip
    08-27-12 03:07 PM
    I got one at the Waterloo Jam recently and I have not developed for BlackBerry. I think one or all of the following did contribute to me getting one:

1. Registered as a Blackberry developer and have downloaded the BB10 simulator.
    2. Identified myself as a programmer with several years of experience.
    3. Posted a link to a website that featured an app that I have developed for the iPhone.
    08-28-12 02:14 AM
    Hey everyone it's only fair that I update this... I fired an email to Alec during the bb10 jam and he hooked me up with a development alpha device! Apparently it was a mistake that I wasn't approved.

Typed this out on my new device
    Neely2005 likes this.
    08-28-12 09:15 PM
    Hey everyone it's only fair that I update this... I fired an email to Alec during the bb10 jam and he hooked me up with a development alpha device! Apparently it was a mistake that I wasn't approved.

Typed this out on my new device
    Great to hear Alec resolved your problem! Thought BB10 Jam Vancouver was pretty good, especially for Vancouver which isn't really a RIM town...
    08-28-12 11:50 PM
    How was the jam?
    08-29-12 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD