My friend was telling me about a GPS/workout watch that I should get to help me with my running.

I thought to myself, what a great idea it woud be for BB10 to incorporate this in their new product line. With a built-in heart rate sensor and its GPS, imagin being able to hold it in your hand or strap it to your arm and have it monitor your distance, speed, monitor your heartrate, plot your course, and listen to your favourit tunes all in one little package. I thought it was cool. Wondering if we will ever see something like that. If not, it�s my idea and I now have the patent on it
    07-12-12 12:09 PM
    The addition of a heart rate monitor would be a cost that brings to little value for the phone, would be better to hope Nike or someone makes a BT compliant Heart rate monitor to connect to the BB10 device

as for GPS tracking I'm pretty sure there are BB7 apps that can be used for that, I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 watch so I don't have use for the BlackBerry apps that do the GPS tracking, but I know they exist.
    07-12-12 12:11 PM
    Yeah, Endomondo already does all of that with the exception of the heart-rate.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    07-12-12 12:13 PM
    As much as I like the idea of incorporating new things into our smartphones,
    this is one of those times where I think the concept is best left to the already
    available standalone device that do /will do this in a much better fashion.

This really seems as if it will increase the cost of devices to the end user all for
    the sake of creating a solution in search of a problem to address.
    07-12-12 12:18 PM
    Pretty sure endomondo already does all that you have mentioned except for heart rate monitor. And it already works brilliantly with current BBs. I use it all the time. And, there are ways to connect heart rate monitors to endomondo as well. Heart rate monitors | Endomondo Store - International

Adding a heart rate sensor in the device itself would drive up the cost of the phone unnecessarily for consumers who do not need that feature.

Furthermore, sure you can hook the device to your arm theoretically if there is a heart rate monitor, but not everyone likes the feeling of that. For example, i perspire a lot when i exercise, and its insanely uncomfortable for me to wear a cuff on my arm even with an ipod nano. I can't imagine how it would feel with an actual phone. Normally i just hold the phone in my hand. Also, some people might prefer a heart rate monitor over the chest.

So, you see. Making the heart rate monitor as a separate component is imo a better idea. If i'm not wrong, Endomondo is already working on their BB10 app.
    07-12-12 02:02 PM
    Endomondo works with heart rate monitors.

Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports
    07-12-12 02:11 PM
    ^^ good to know!!
    07-12-12 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD